PDA

View Full Version : MT Currahee... any thoughts?

PiterM
03-15-2007, 15:40
Recently I got my Currahee from Microtech. That's quite a piece of knife, but... I'm wondering if it's really so brilliant as a combat / SF tool. I mean... it is really strong knife. VERY strong! 0.200" of D2 can take hell of a load, that's for sure. High grind cuts very good, G10 handle is very comfortable and big enough to let me use the knife also in heavy duty gloves on. BUT as good as it is, the Currahee is rather great outdoor utility knife than combat machine. First of all with such a high profile it'd be much harder to hit & puncture an oponent in the combat situ than with say Green Beret. Also the blade of roughly 4.5" is not as long as in most of SF knives. So please, tell me... what are your thoughts about Currahee? Personally I like it alot, but again, for me it's great outdoor / utility knife... but OF COURSE I'm not SF Soldier so I may be wrong. Oh, this project probaby must have been created for "waterborn" operations, and maybe that's why it's shorter than what usually SF guys carry in the field. At least MT says:

The Currahee is a full tang fixed blade originally designed for U.S. Special Forces Boat team 20. The original run of the CURRAHEE was limited, with the first few put in the hands of those best suited to test the knife, the United States Special Forces. Field use has proven that these knives can endure extremely high intensity, and adverse conditions.

SF Boat Team 20... anyone here?

The Reaper
03-15-2007, 20:09
Special Forces does not have Boat Teams.

The Navy has Boat Teams, but no Special Forces.

Looks like MicroTech is both misinformed and ignorant.

TR

Team Sergeant
03-15-2007, 20:15
Kinda like the Special Forces Watch, Navy SEAL watch etc there is no such thing, but theres a website selling them to stupid people all day long.......:rolleyes:

BrianH
03-16-2007, 08:47
After seeing Microtech's new "weapon of the future" (aka Styer Aug) at the SHOT show, and hearing stories of their legendarily bad customer service, I'm going to take a pass on their products.

OTF autos are cool, but I'd rather have a Benchmade Infidel. Or a Dalton.

Leozinho
03-16-2007, 10:12
I can second the comment about poor customer service.

I've got a Microtech Mini SOCOM (notice the name). It's a frame lock and seems very solid. However, it came with a very flimsy, skelentonized clip, which quickly bent outwards and is no longer tight against the frame.

MT wanted $35 and six weeks to replace the clip, which I think was poorly designed in the first place. (Their clips are now beefier).

The clip screws in with a special three-prong bit that has to be special ordered. I thought I'd buy the bit and have MT just send me a replacement clip. It would be quicker and cheaper. MT wouldn't go for that, saying they'd have to have the knife to see which clip fit it. Sure, it's not the worst case of customer service, but enough to prevent me from buying another MT. (Kershaw once sent me a new clip for free, no questions asked, for a knife I bought at Wal-Mart for $28.)

I kind of forgot about the knife until I read this thread. I think I'll call MT again and see what they'll charge me now to fix the knife.

PiterM
03-16-2007, 10:37
Whoa! Service is one thing, knife another. I doubt you'd ever need service for this one. My intention is not to talk about CS but this very knife: Currahee. Also OTF's are different story (and in this case MT is hard to beat IMHO).

So let's try again: CURRAHEE - any thoughts about this knife? As a tool for a guy in uniform? Because I can say something about it only as a general outdoor knife... and it's really good as such.

Razor
03-16-2007, 10:45
Almost all troops that carry knives use them as tools, not weapons. Very, very, very few troops ever employ their knife as a weapon, so a utility-style blade is just fine. This MT has and edge and a point, so if it HAD to be used as a weapon it would most likely work just fine, just like thousands of other knives out there. There is nothing special or magical required to fill the role of a utility knife.

x SF med
03-16-2007, 10:52
I agree, Razor - but it is very comforting to know that Bill Harsey and Chris Reeve are behind the knife you are using - or Ken Onion, or Mick Strider... designers and manufacturers who take the same pride in their work as we do in ours - craftsmen and artisans.