PDA

View Full Version : Garmont T8

Russell S
03-14-2007, 14:55
Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with these boots? I am looking at getting a pair if it looks like they are a good boot. One thing I am not too keen on is that they have vents in the instep and this may let fine sand into the boot....

Thanks

allester666
04-20-2008, 07:29
Russel-

So far I have had nothing but good things to say about my garmont T8's. Good ankle support when jumping and rucking, and the sole grips into wet grass and sand consistently. I am going to take them to SUT so that will be the final test of durability and comfort. One thing I should mention is that I noticed some of the threads popping at the base of the boot lace hole/main body connection. I had a local shop reinforce the stitches and have not had issues since then.

Robertson
05-28-2008, 23:43
I've got two pairs. Used one pair throughout ranger school and they held up fine. Excellent traction, ankle support for jumping, and they fit nicely and comfortably.

Only small complaint is that the stitching comes undone in some areas, but with a lighter its an easy fix and you just monitor it now and then. They held up being on my feet everyday dry and wet with no problems.

Hope this helps

JacobGL
05-29-2008, 10:04
Are you permited to wear these at SFAS?

The Reaper
05-29-2008, 10:10
Are you permited to wear these at SFAS?

Have you read the stickies, or are you just looking to leave here quickly?

Search "issue boot" and read all of the threads before posting further. Then provide me a synopsis of the results with your next post.

TR

JacobGL
05-29-2008, 14:37
From http://www.bragg.army.mil/specialforces/packing_list.htm

1 pr BOOTS, ARMY ISSUE OR JUNGLE ONLY

NOTE # 3 NO BOOTS THAT HAVE A SNEAKER STYLE CONSTRUCTION WILL BE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR, i.e. HIGH TECH, OAKLEY, ADIDAS

thank you TR

- Jacob

Amato
05-31-2008, 12:11
I wore these just about every day for the past 6 months and they are fantastic. Wore them through out sage with out a complaint.

allester666
06-08-2008, 06:11
The garmont boots have held up wonderfully thus far. After NUMOROUS swamp/stream crossings, rough terrain and repeated use I have had no issues at all with these boots. Great traction in the sand as well as on the slick pine needle covered forest. Also, these boots provide great ankle support.

sonofabreach
02-28-2009, 10:00
Gotta say I've had the T8's for a while now and they are possibly the best boots I've owned, aside from the ones issued at boot but thats a whole different thread. they do have that standard issue look but don't require that break in period like most standard issue boots do. My first pair I messed up, took a nasty fall and ripped a good sized hole on the damn thing, ordered a second pair.
Aside from the previous postings about stitching coming out, I've noticed that these are sumbitch to clean. That cleaning kit that they sell at the PX's or the NEX's didn't do much when it came to cleaning these bastards. I've tried soap and water, saddle soap and everything else that could be used to clean them. I've also noticed, that they sort of get a sun-tan that cause them to look like Marine boots. Maybe it was just my pair, or the conditioner crap that I ordered to help loosen em up just a smidge. Here I am going on and on about the way the boots looked, you'd think I was a fashionable man or something. Another downside is that they do take some time to lace up. But once their on you could fall down a mountain and they'd stay attached to your foot, trust me on that one fellarz.
Over all though these boots perform superbly under the most trying of situations. I've taken them up mountains and down mountains and from beach landings to river crossings. I've never noticed a blister or hot spot on my feet. I'd recommend them to any shooter.

rcm_18d
02-28-2009, 10:08
I guess the days of jungle boots with the waffle sole are over. But so is team week.

Land Shark
02-28-2009, 21:26
I just bought my second pair today. They are snug around my ankles, but have a large toe box for swelling feet. They also provide exceptional ankle support, solid traction, and light weight. Worth every penny.

lrsu
03-02-2009, 04:14
The T-8’s are an awesome pair of boots. I have had a pair for almost 2 years now and have no complaints at all. I purchased a pair of the T-6 boots while in Afghanistan for the mountains and they worked out well also. Both boots are very comfortable and offer great support. I did change the laces out to some tan 550 cord after breaking one of them.

fister81
03-09-2009, 20:34
I guess I'm going to be the odd ball, but mine I just didn't like them. The heel is rough from stitching and my heel kept slipping up and got a small blister after 6 miles. I also didn't like the upper padding (or lack there of) that goes around your lower shin (very top of the boot). Just rough edges around the top of the boot and scratched me up a bit. I've been hearing good reviews from Oakley and some mixed reviews from Blackhawk but to each his own right.

SpetsnaZ
03-09-2009, 20:48
and light weight
There's nothing light weight about these boots!
And you cant fold them up good enough to pack up in a assault pack or kit bag. They just take up too much space if your not wearing them.

I guess I'm going to be the odd ball, but mine I just didn't like them. The heel is rough from stitching and my heel kept slipping up and got a small blister after 6 miles. I also didn't like the upper padding (or lack there of) that goes around your lower shin (very top of the boot). Just rough edges around the top of the boot and scratched me up a bit.
fister81, Spot on...
The same thing happened to mine and also a friend of mine. They are ok :rolleyes: but I'll still take a pair of modified Belleville 390 desert boots any day!

sonofabreach
03-20-2009, 20:29
There's nothing light weight about these boots!
And you cant fold them up good enough to pack up in a assault pack or kit bag. They just take up too much space if your not wearing them.

fister81, Spot on...
The same thing happened to mine and also a friend of mine. They are ok :rolleyes: but I'll still take a pair of modified Belleville 390 desert boots any day!

modified 390's? I know, I know, a whole separate thread...

allester666
04-12-2009, 15:59
Just finished out the last phase with my Garmont T8's. They have served me well, very comfortable or as comfortable as can be with a big ruck on. I have covered my likes before, now my 2 major dislikes:

1.) The leather material is splitting and large holes are forming on the left boot about where my large and pinky toe are. This is the case for my 1+ year old pair and my brand new less than 3 months old pair. I could potentially expect that from the old pair but its unacceptable for the new ones.

2.) The rubber sole tends to be very slick on creek bed rocks. I know what your thinking, that all boots are slick on algae covered wet rocks, but IMHO bellville's win that category hands downs.

Overall great pair of boots for my feet. O and they dry out extremely fast, just wring out your inserts, put on some fresh socks and walk 'em dry.

ESPI13
05-03-2009, 17:10
I know we are beating a dead horse here, but I am going to give my .02 about Garmont. I have had these boots for about a year now. Literally no break-in period. Wore them for the first time about a week before SUT and had no problems while at SUT. I second the opinion about them being a little difficult to lace quickly, but not too bad. After wearing them through SUT and SERE, they did take on a darker color that makes them unacceptable around the flag pole, yet they are still my regular range and field boots. I have heard a lot of talk about the dreaded stitching and toe-cup hole. My buddy had this happen and contacted Garmont about it. They told him to send them in and sent him a new pair. No questions asked and no receipt needed either. This again was not my direct experience, but a friend's experience. This to me shows Garmont's dedication to customer satisfaction, which is a hard thing to find these days. Just something to take into consideration. Good Luck