PDA

View Full Version : A question for former 19D's

Hipshot
03-13-2007, 12:51
:confused:
Got an email from my son yesterday mentioning he was made a "Section Leader" responsible for 7 troopers. I'm not familiar with Cav Scout organization, so any help would be appreciated.

He said that he's now being assigned to a "MITT" (although I think he meant a Mobile Training Team (MTT)) and will be working with and training Iraqi Army personnel. I think he's doing pretty well for a young man whose been on active duty for a little over 3 years.

Jgood
03-13-2007, 15:07
Congrats on the promotion to Section leader.

I was a 19D at Ft Irwin for a while any specific questions your looking for or that he needs??

MiTT is Military Transition Team kinda the same concept as the MTT, usually a few NCOs or Officers embeded with the Iraqi military from Plt level and up.

Hipshot
03-13-2007, 16:44
Congrats on the promotion to Section leader.

I was a 19D at Ft Irwin for a while any specific questions your looking for or that he needs??

MiTT is Military Transition Team kinda the same concept as the MTT, usually a few NCOs or Officers embeded with the Iraqi military from Plt level and up.

Thanks JGood - I wasn't sure if it was a misquote in his email about the MiTT or if it stood for something else. I know that when back at Bragg, his Section Sgt was almost always gone (training - Ranger School) so Matt ended up doing all of the counselling for his troops and doing the work of the Section Sgt without the recognition.

I can relate to the MiTT as I served as an embedded advisor/trainer for Cambodian troops back during Vietnam. Awesome responsibility for such a young man!:D :D :D
Proud Papa

Gypsy
03-13-2007, 17:10
Congrats to your son proud papa! May he and his Soldiers continue to stay safe.

Hipshot
03-17-2007, 14:04
Three pics of my son in Iraq. First one looks like home-made turret on Hummer; second is the well-equipped? trooper; and lastly what you look like after 10 days and 60 clicks of patrolling Sadr City.

Firebeef
03-17-2007, 19:27
Hipshot, I was a Cav Scout .......a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. lol The way it always made sense to me was: A scout platoon was organized into a HQ Section, with the PL and PSG (who were also manuever elements) and then A and B Section. In essence, a Scout Section was what Grunts called a Squad, mas o menos. Each Section had 2 tracks/Bradley, HMMWVs or whatever they are riding around in these days. The wing man, or 2nd track in a section was called a "squad", which I always related to a Team. Some semantics and a different TO&E. Your son is performing in an E-6 position. Good for him. It's been far too long for me to know what MiTT might mean, but it sure sounds like an MTT . When we got Bradleys we were taught what all the bells and whistles were by a MTT team. Hope that helps

Prayers for your son's safe return. bro.
My kid is in Redstone Arsenal now, about 1/3 of the way through becoming an EOD guy. I have no misconceptions that he won't be over yonder before too long.

Be safe

RTK
07-08-2007, 15:59
Hipshot:

As was said, scout platoons are broken into three sections with a capability of consolidating to two sections. In a light scout platoon with 6 vehicles there are two section sergeants. The most senior E6 is the A section sergeant and also the platoon's senior scout. The second most senior E6 is the B Section sergeant. The otehr two E6s in the platoon are squad leaders in either A or B section. Then there's the PL and PSG. Sounds like he's probably the B Section Sergeant unless they moved him up to the senior scout position quick.

Congratulations! You have many reasons to be proud of him.

vacation81
07-10-2007, 11:48
Hipshot, your son is in my Troop. I'm the PL for one of the other platoons (but acting XO right now). The tasking his platoon is working on is a variation on a MiTT called a NPTT. The only real difference is they are working with Iraqi National Police instead of Iraqi Army. You should be especially proud of his promotion because the sections of his platoon are split, so he is operating independently without the oversight of his platoon leader and platoon sergeant. A lot of responsibility and I'm sure he's doing great. Hope all the 2nd Platoon guys are well.

Vacation81
DJSS Sadr City

Gypsy
07-10-2007, 11:51
Hipshot, your son is in my Troop. I'm the PL for one of the other platoons (but acting XO right now). The tasking his platoon is working on is a variation on a MiTT called a NPTT. The only real difference is they are working with Iraqi National Police instead of Iraqi Army. You should be especially proud of his promotion because the sections of his platoon are split, so he is operating independently without the oversight of his platoon leader and platoon sergeant. A lot of responsibility and I'm sure he's doing great. Hope all the 2nd Platoon guys are well.

Vacation81
DJSS Sadr City

I love this place...

Stay safe Vacation81.

The Reaper
07-10-2007, 11:55
Now that, folks, is a small world and shows how well the net works.

TR

Hipshot
07-11-2007, 17:06
You know - when you think things can't get much better, something like this comes along and shows you just how little you do know.

Vacation81 - I owe you a round of drinks when you guys get back! If you happen to get a chance, tell him to let me know if he got the packages I sent and what else does he needs. You guys are doing a great job over there - hang in there and be safe.

vacation81
07-12-2007, 16:36
Hipshot,

I'll pass your questions along to your son the next time I see him. Thanks to everyone for your kind words.

Vacation81

NousDefionsDoc
07-12-2007, 16:50

Vacation81
DJSS Sadr City
Well done Sir.

Is that motor pool squared away?;)