PDA

View Full Version : Keep your cool when dealing with recruiters

Intel_Airman
03-12-2007, 16:38
Two weeks ago after my NCO induction ceremony, my Flight Chief gave me a pat on the back and told me he would see me Friday morning. I was a confused and was like, "Hey, a day off; ok!" I went back to my apartment and decided that it was the perfect day to go see the Army recruiter.

I made my way down to the recruiting center and watched a bunch of future "zoomies" go in and out of the AF office as I smiled to myself and waited on the Army recruiter. After a short wait the Sgt. pulled in and I met him at the front door. I introduced myself and began to explain my situation and intentions after my current enlistment is up.

Then he said something that caught me funny. "The 18X program is going away soon." I replied with, "Really?" He told me that it might not be around that much longer and that it could possibly be gone by the time that my contract runs out. I just kinda shrugged my shoulders and said that it was weird since the Army is trying to expand SF by 4,000 troops or so over the next 5 years. He looked at me confused and said he didn't get that memo.

We talked a little more and that's when he informed me that it would be faster signing a contract as a 98C and then put in for SFAS once I get to my first assignment. Warning lights and sirens started going off and I once again replied with, "Really?"

During this whole thing I kept my cool, but found him trying to push me towards other avenues. I really didn't think anyone would try to bullshit me being prior service, I was wrong. Then the Sgt. told me that he is only a regular grunt and I should really come back and talk to his SFC who is Ranger qualified and has more knowledge on that kinda stuff. I agreed, said bye, and left.

The point of this story is to let ANYONE interested in an 18X contract know that it might not be the easiest thing to get. Keep your cool, know your facts, and listen to what they tell you. Don't get flustered when the information doesn't match up, just think whether or not this is the right person to get you locked into another contract for the next 4,5,6 years. There are plenty of them out there who are really good at their jobs and are willing to get you where you need to be. Just be patient and seek out a good one.

On a positive note, I'm getting closer to being GREEN :lifter 286 days until terminal leave sets in.

The Reaper
03-12-2007, 16:45
Don't be surprised if the Army does not give you a day off after a promotion either.

You get 30 per year, take them when you need them.

Rule #1: Recruiters lie to make numbers.

TR

Kyobanim
03-12-2007, 17:20
Rule #1: Recruiters lie to make numbers.

Ain't that the truth.

kgoerz
03-12-2007, 17:41
Then the Sgt. told me that he is only a regular grunt and I should really come back and talk to his SFC who is Ranger
Sounds like he knew you were onto his BS. Or maybe he just didn't know all the facts, still no excuse to tell you the Army will accept your request to go SF. Are they letting privates already in the Army put in for SFAS, or just off the street?

Some things never change. I was told the exact same BS in 1982. Mine told me I didn't need it on my contract. After AIT I could put in for SF. My physical was taking a long time to come back. I remember that day very! very! clear! Lucky an earlier recruiter told me to make sure it's on my contract, no exceptions NADA!. His advice saved my butt. Also I was signing up a year out and had the time to wait, no hurry for me.
I am sure 18X contracts take longer to put together then a straight no frills enlistment. Sounds like recruiters don't like waiting to sign you up. You might change your mind. I remember several guys in Basic who did not have the Q-Course on their contracts. Recruiters told them the same BS I was told. They thought they would be able to go SF when we finished AIT. None of them ever showed up during my year in the course.
I feel sorry for guys who don't know about this place or someone in the Military to set them straight.
Whats the deal in recruiter school about telling recruits stuff that is technically true but you know it probably won't happen? It's not an out right lie. You could put in for SF or at least try to in AIT.

Aoresteen
03-12-2007, 18:36
Rule 2: When all else fails use Rule 1. :D

futureSoldier
03-12-2007, 18:46
Speaking of recruiters, you all will love this...

My recruiter claims that he was Marine RECON (he made RECON after only 8 months in the Marine Corps) and that he left the Marines to join SF. He claims that after joining the Army he was immediately allowed to attend SFAS. His quote on SFAS was "I finished first in my class"-at which point I could not hold back my laughter. I asked him why he wasn't wearing his SF tab and he explained that he failed the red/green test at the END of SFAS...

He also claims that the SF soldiers that he LIVED WITH in Iraq wore Cowboy boots, blue jeans, and either white tee shirts or no shirts...

Finally, he claimed that for all six years of the 18x contract, I would make in excess of $60,000 a year.

The stories that this guy tells are almost worth the long long rides to the MEPS (though it is quite scary that he is the one "guiding" me through this process).

sfrecrutr
03-12-2007, 20:52
Well you know there are some of us out there who do it right, to benefit the soldier and the service. Trust me I am a recruiter!!

jodem
03-12-2007, 22:45
Any Help MSG, put in my RENO couple months ago with 20th. No word...

Intel_Airman
03-13-2007, 00:20
Well you know there are some of us out there who do it right, to benefit the soldier and the service. Trust me I am a recruiter!!

You wouldn't happen to know any high speed recruiters in Tucson or Phoenix would ya? Hell, maybe Las Vegas (just another excuse for me to cruise up there)?

kachingchingpow
03-13-2007, 07:32
I had a similiar experience about 2 years ago when my nephew was enlisting. He wanted the 18x contract bad, he was never really athletic, although he could be if he applied himself. I convinced him to get in, get a good MOS that he could get a job with outside the military as a security net, and then on to SFAS after he was a valueable NCO. He agreed, and so we pursued getting him into the 91D course. Man, his recruiter had a shit-fit with my nephew. He swore up and down that there were no slots available in that MOS for the forseeable future, and that he needed to pick one off "the list." One of my longtime friends (and fellow QP board member) got on the horn with the training bn Cdr for the 91D course at Ft. Sam, and asked her directly if there were any slots open in the course. Her response was that she hasn't met her numbers in over 2 years, and that they *always* have openings. I called the recruiter, conferenced my friend in, and in short order the problem was resolved.

See rule #1.

Eagle5US
03-13-2007, 07:57
Trust me I am a recruiter!!
I refer to rule number 1...

Eagle

Kyobanim
03-13-2007, 11:14

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA

:D

Sdiver
03-13-2007, 11:37

WHOA !!!!! :eek: :eek:

Isn't that one of the 5 basic lies ???

The others being.....

The check is in the mail.
We can still be friends.
You can't get pregnant doing it while standing up.
I'm from the government....and I'm here to help.

:eek:

Intel_Airman
03-13-2007, 12:06
I just want to say thanks to all of you that have PM'ed with recruiters from Vegas and Phoenix that have put some of you prior service guys into 18X contracts. This is VERY helpful to me, everything is easier the second time around right, lol? Seriously though, this should take a lot of guesswork out of the equation; thanks again.

SSgt Pierce

The Reaper
03-13-2007, 12:13
Remember, dealing with a recruiter is like buying a car.

You can always walk.

I would strongly encourage potential recruits to look at an enlistment the same way. He wants your name on a contract, and has some lattitude in what he is willing to give for it. You want the latest, hottest car, you may have to fight for it.

Do not take vague promises about getting it later or being able to change MOSes.

Rule #2: If it isn't in writing on the contract, it wasn't agreed to.

BTW, this is not intended to smear all recruiters, there are some out there who do their jobs with honor and integrity. Nevertheless, the recruiter exists to fill the Army's needs, not to make you happy, or to give you one more thing than it takes to get you to sign on the line.

Good luck.

TR

kgoerz
03-13-2007, 17:50

Like the first recruiter I mentioned in my post. Told me "be certain that SFQC is on your contract", "no exceptions NADA"
He saved my butt. Never had the chance to thank him. It was on my first visit just to feel things out. He said "I have one piece of advice for you", be certain........" He was getting ready to PCS.

Probably a couple of recruiters, or ex recruiters on here. You guys need to start a thread (Probably in the GB Club) telling your best stories. I worked with one. He had some interesting tales. Especially about the home visits. He was assigned in a major city, far from any other Military Bases. Lucky bastard had His office in a Mall:D Of course there was the other guy who was assigned to Spring Lake NC:(

booker
03-13-2007, 19:31
Remember, dealing with a recruiter is like buying a car.

You can always walk.

I would strongly encourage potential recruits to look at an enlistment the same way. He wants your name on a contract, and has some lattitude in what he is willing to give for it. You want the latest, hottest car, you may have to fight for it.

Do not take vague promises about getting it later or being able to change MOSes.

Rule #2: If it isn't in writing on the contract, it wasn't agreed to.

BTW, this is not intended to smear all recruiters, there are some out there who do their jobs with honor and integrity. Nevertheless, the recruiter exists to fill the Army's needs, not to make you happy, or to give you one more thing than it takes to get you to sign on the line.

Good luck.

TR

TR's words are good as gold, take it from me. I went in wanting one MOS, didn't have the balls to say no and walk out when they told me that I couldn't have that MOS. So I ended up as a crane operator. Luckily I learned a valuable lesson, worked my tail off and reclassed. If it smells like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, it probably is a duck. If you can't read it above the line you sign on, it doesn't exist.

FWIW

J

Dub
03-13-2007, 20:06
I like my recruiter. He took myself and my friend who is also thinking of SF out to dinner on the Army dime, talked, and answered what he could. Besides not simply admitting when he does not know certain things he has been respectful and not pushed to much while I make my decision.

-Dub

sfrecrutr
03-13-2007, 20:46
If there are any of you out there looking to talk to a dedicated NG SF Recruiter feel free to shoot a PM. I will put you in contact with one in your area. Most of the guys I deal with will work with you the best they can to get you what you want and what the 19th or 20th SF need. But like it was said earlier, if its not written, it isn't gonna happen.

MSG Ed

mike pasek
03-18-2007, 18:51
my reqruter is telling me that i cant get a 18x contract cause im not 21! is this true? they bumped up the age requirement? He is pushing me towards the airborn ranger area. just wanted to know if he is telling the truth or BSing me.

The Reaper
03-18-2007, 18:58
my reqruter is telling me that i cant get a 18x contract cause im not 21! is this true? they bumped up the age requirement? He is pushing me towards the airborn ranger area. just wanted to know if he is telling the truth or BSing me.

It is spelled, "Airborne".

You might want to remember that before you get there, as well as how to capitalize and use proper punctuation.

The impression you are making is not a good one.

You might also use the search button here to see if your question has already been answered. I am pretty sure that it has here, as well as in the 18X pre-reqs that you can find online via Google.

I think that some HS kids' lack of maturity and professionalism may have affected that decision.

TR

Warrior-Mentor
03-19-2007, 19:31
I think that some HS kids' lack of maturity and professionalism may have affected that decision.

TR

Goes back the the stats that showed the youngest candidates were failing out at the highest rates.

incommin
03-20-2007, 05:37
Recruiting must have changed. When I was an Army Recruiter we couldn't promise anything. Our job was to get bodies to the MEP's station where counselors sat down with individuals and went over what career fields were available based on their ASVAB scores. The counselors wrote the enlistment contracts and set the dates for reporting.

Jim

ajax
05-28-2007, 22:39
I wanted to start off by thanking you guys for this website. The board has answered almost every question I've had through the whole process. My recruiter has either been dishonest with me or is just incompetent and too embarrassed to admit it. Both options are dangerous to me as I am about to make a 5 year commitment. He told me the best route to SF was to go into an intel field first and I would "pretty much be garaunteed an SFAS slot." He seems like an idiot and I find myself questioning everything he tells me. I have already left MEPS once without contracting because he told me Counter intelligence had been renamed Human intel gatherer but it was still the same job. I have seen a lot of stuff posted about vision but he said the regs change a lot. He said I would be fine. My vision is 20/15 in my right eye and 20/200 that corrects to 20/30 in my left. Will I be able to get a waiver?

jbour13
05-29-2007, 00:28
I wanted to start off by thanking you guys for this website. The board has answered almost every question I've had through the whole process. My recruiter has either been dishonest with me or is just incompetent and too embarrassed to admit it. Both options are dangerous to me as I am about to make a 5 year commitment. He told me the best route to SF was to go into an intel field first and I would "pretty much be garaunteed an SFAS slot." He seems like an idiot and I find myself questioning everything he tells me. I have already left MEPS once without contracting because he told me Counter intelligence had been renamed Human intel gatherer but it was still the same job. I have seen a lot of stuff posted about vision but he said the regs change a lot. He said I would be fine. My vision is 20/15 in my right eye and 20/200 that corrects to 20/30 in my left. Will I be able to get a waiver?

Alright,

First, Intel to SF. It happens, can happen. Your unit does not have to give you extra time to prepare for SFAS. I work in a SF Bn as an intel NCO. Almost every damn intel MOS is short, Human Resources Command has a lot of pull when it comes to delaying your packet for the Q, granted you make it through SFAS. Try for the 18X contract, if not see TR's words of advice of walking.

Look fella's, I'll tell it like it is. As an intel guy you'd better have your $hit straight. There are many things for you to worry about besides PT. Work is first, PT is second, sleep comes whenever you have downtime. I work for the Commander and those Special Forces Soldiers on the ground. I'm not selfish like some of my peers in the same career field are. I'd strongly recommend shooting for the SF contract if that is what you want. If for some unfortunate reason you do not make it, you had better make peace with the fact that you will be an Infantryman. No shame in being Infantry, just make up your mind.

As stated before, Intel is finicky when letting us go. You may make the short term goal of SFAS, but unit missions and deployments come first. I will defer to those that have more in the arena of how the system works as far as getting orders to SFQC, and how to get what you want. Recruiters have a job, it is to get you to sign and get on to training. Some will tell you anything you want to hear. Some will tell you the truth. Get it in writing and keep copies.

I've been doing the Army thing for 9 years now. I elected and volunteered to go to airborne school right out of AIT. I even went so far as to request an assignment to the 82nd to get that. I didn't get it in writing. I'm now in an SF Bn and still have very little time to get it done with deployments and schools. I will hopefully get my leg ass to Benning this August to put on those wings. If the army can't get me a slot for airborne in a priority unit, imagine the pain to get you all slots to SOPC. Get it in writing.

V/R

SSG B

hetzer
05-29-2007, 01:34

I don't know if this is the truth, but it is what I was told. In 2006 when I went to MEPS for 97B the computer kept kicking back the assignment. After a few phone calls I was advised that 97B was closed to initial enlistments in fiscal year 2007 (I believe it was also closed to e-4 and below). No one made mention of the 97E slots (I didn't find out about the "E" MOS till I arrived at Starke). I ended up taking a 96B slot which was second choice. Honestly, all I really cared about was getting into the 20th as an intel guy.

Once again, what I was told...not gospel.

The Reaper
05-29-2007, 08:01
Your recruiter is not giving you the correct info, unless you just want to be assigned to an SF unit eventually, not as an SF trained and qualified soldier. Sounds like he needs to fill a quota for an intel soldier, and you are not asking for the 18X contract. Find another recruiter, if you have to.

The vision requirement is addressed in multiple places here, and the reg is identified in at least one of the "read this" stickies. We cannot answer waiver questions as we are not the approving authority.

Best of luck.

TR

ajax
05-29-2007, 13:11
Thanks a lot guys. You have been very helpful. Reaper I didn't mean to ask a repetitive question, I was just wondering if the regs changed like my recruiter told me. I apologize. Thanks again.