PDA

View Full Version : custom kitchen knife

chance
03-10-2007, 21:36
Well everyone I know this is'nt a "weapon" perse but I'd like to hear what you guys think . I just finished it for the wife.

chance
03-14-2007, 09:19
WOW!!! It's not so bad you guys don't want to comment on it, is it?

Dan
03-14-2007, 16:51
There are very few knife makers here...if the wife likes it, then you already have your feedback :)

The Reaper
03-14-2007, 20:36
I don't cook too much, and when I do, I have a custom Harsey S30V chef's knife that my wife lets me borrow.

Yours looks okay to me.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
03-14-2007, 20:40
I don't cook too much, and when I do, I have a custom Harsey S30V chef's knife that my wife lets me borrow.

Bastard. ;)

Kyobanim
03-14-2007, 20:46
that my wife lets me borrow

:D

The Reaper
03-14-2007, 21:05
Bastard. ;)

What is stopping you from getting one?:munchin

TR

CPTAUSRET
03-14-2007, 22:05

Yours looks okay to me.

TR

Pic's would be nice!

BrianH
03-15-2007, 09:41
Pic's would be nice!
Seconded.

Bill Harsey
03-16-2007, 09:37
Chance,
I make a lot of different knives and don't show most of them here because this website is focused on what is of interest to Quiet Professionals.

x SF med
03-16-2007, 10:54
Hey, Bill - you could post pics of your kitchen stuff in the Gourmet Guerrilla thread, please. :D

Air.177
03-16-2007, 11:18
Hey, Bill - you could post pics of your kitchen stuff in the Gourmet Guerrilla thread, please. :D

But don't get in a hurry to post a bunch of pics Bill, continue what you're doing .

XSF: he has important work to be doing ( Yeah, I ordered a Reaper 7) ;)

BrianH
03-16-2007, 11:28
Chance,
I make a lot of different knives and don't show most of them here because this website is focused on what is of interest to Quiet Professionals.
Well, it's of interest to THIS Quiet Professional! :)

x SF med
03-16-2007, 14:35
Bill-
After our cooking discussion in the Thai place in Orlando, I'm sure an informal poll of other QPs would show that Harsey Chef's Knives would be of interest to more than a few of the QP ilk.

I will include myself in this group,
BrianH is in,
I believe TS is in (although he would probably prefer to just use his Yarborough and T2/D2 for everything)
any others wantr to chime in?

The proper tools for the job are key - and we all know the quality of your knifesmithing - grace us with the pictures of your kitchen/chef's cutlery, please.

LibraryLady
03-16-2007, 14:55
Bill-
After our cooking discussion in the Thai place in Orlando, I'm sure an informal poll of other QPs would show that Harsey Chef's Knives would be of interest to more than a few of the QP ilk.

I will include myself in this group,
BrianH is in,
I believe TS is in (although he would probably prefer to just use his Yarborough and T2/D2 for everything)
any others wantr to chime in?

The proper tools for the job are key - and we all know the quality of your knifesmithing - grace us with the pictures of your kitchen/chef's cutlery, please.

Not a QP, but very interested in sharp pointy things. I've even been known to use the kitchen sort a couple of times or three. Mr. H, it would be an honor to see pixels representing your fine work.

LL

Bill Harsey
03-16-2007, 19:37
Thanks for the kind words, I didn't know you guys liked kitchen type knives.

since Chance started this thread, maybe he could explain the history of his knife design, it is a traditional type and looks very well done.

Chris
03-16-2007, 21:22
Mr. Harsey,

Like Mr. Dwyer's grinds as bad ass an SMF/SnG as he does a kitchen blade, I am sure your kitchen knivies are also works of art. Would very much like to see them Sir!

Right tools for the right job.

What style of knife is it? Santoku?

chance
03-16-2007, 21:44
Well, Mr Harsey the blade design is a classic Japanise syle, the wife really liked the way it cut when she used a knife belonging to a friend of ours. So thats why I went with this design, the file work on the back of the blade is a vine pattern, and I really only did that for the wife. The handle is made of two materials buffalo horn and cocoboa wood. Oh and one more thing the blade steel is from an old saw mill blade.

Bill Harsey
03-16-2007, 22:26
Very good information, not just for this knife thread but for the Redneck engineering thread here.

Saw steel is traditionally a highly refined tool steel that responds well to oil hardening and is designed for high impact use making it something that can be made into very servicable knife blades.

Hopefully it will hold up to your wifes needs.

Bill Harsey
03-16-2007, 22:48
Oh yeah, since I mentioned the Redneck Engineering Thread here and we have fairly well educated Rednecks on this forum, including Ms. Library Lady,
the above pictured Japanese style home use knife seems to me to be a Nakiri bocho of the Osaka style.

These knives are historically ground very thin for cutting chewable vegetation.

chance
03-16-2007, 23:56
You are correct sir, on the blade I did a chisel grind chops really nice cuts straight and stacks the cutting clean.

LibraryLady
03-17-2007, 11:27
Oh yeah, since I mentioned the Redneck Engineering Thread here and we have fairly well educated Rednecks on this forum, including Ms. Library Lady,
the above pictured Japanese style home use knife seems to me to be a Nakiri bocho of the Osaka style.

These knives are historically ground very thin for cutting chewable vegetation.

My apologies, Chance, a slight hijack is in order here. I am looking hard at your work, thinking that would be something to go very well in my kitchen.

Mr Harsey? Tanks for the compliment! I've always known I'm a Redneck with a bit a skulin' :D

LL

chance
03-18-2007, 10:43
Well LibaryLady, I'm glad you like my work if you would like more pics let me know and maybe we can work out a deal.

Roycroft201
03-18-2007, 12:20
Chance,

These days I don't think there are that many ladies who are fortunate to have their kitchen knives custom made for them. I'm sure your wife appreciates it.

Nice work !

RC201

chance
03-18-2007, 18:23
Thanks RC201