PDA

View Full Version : Tax ???

kgoerz
03-08-2007, 22:45
I have been using the same CPA since 2002. I return to the states in June. Fayetteville N.C area. I usually have to do most of the Tax work/research when doing my taxes. Gets pretty complicated with all the contracting work. Is anyone using a good CPA they can recommend to me. Someone who has a good understanding of private Military Contractors. Not to happy with the present CPA. I saved myself $4000.00 last year. If I did not show him the extra tax break it would of went unnoticed. Just looking for more options.

x SF med
03-09-2007, 07:42
KG-
Have you tried TurboTax - it seems as though you've had to do most of the work in the past, and if you use TuboTax Premium or Premier (probably Premier for your situation) you can get audit protection, electronic filing and access to Tax professionals to review your work - it covers absolutely everything in the deduction arena too...

Just a thought - I've been using TubroTax for over 10 years, and the only screweed up taxes I ever had was prior to using it - I used H&R Block, once, prior to getting into finance - 5 years later I got a huge check back from the IRS, that's how bad those idiots screwed me.

Aoresteen
03-09-2007, 09:19
I have been using the same CPA since 2002. I return to the states in June. Fayetteville N.C area. I usually have to do most of the Tax work/research when doing my taxes. Gets pretty complicated with all the contracting work. Is anyone using a good CPA they can recommend to me. Someone who has a good understanding of private Military Contractors. Not to happy with the present CPA. I saved myself $4000.00 last year. If I did not show him the extra tax break it would of went unnoticed. Just looking for more options.

KG,

You are right to fire the CPA. I'd ask for any fees you paid him to be refunded as you did all the work.

+1 on Turbo Tax.

jatx
03-09-2007, 10:14
TurboTax has done a good job of calculating all the foreign earned income deductions for me in the past, as well as deductions for all the misc. business expenses associated with being a contractor.

Pete
03-09-2007, 10:21
Turbo Tax + another

I use the hand worked form for the state. Turbo Tax seems to have a hard time with the military retired pay in NC. Well, OK, it could be the way I fat finger the keyboard.

kgoerz
03-09-2007, 17:32
Thanks all, I was thinking about using Turbo Tax. I will give it a try.

Warrior-Mentor
03-09-2007, 21:05
Daniel C Griffin Jr. CPA
109 Broadfoot Ave
Fayetteville, NC 28305
(910) 868-9041

one-zero
03-11-2007, 16:42
kg,
Check out (www.junewalkeronline.com)...she has two books that are a big time help if you're doing IC work as a sole-prop.

I've set up up various entities and used to run an S-corp for tax saving reasons - but she has taught me a great deal about keeping YOUR hard earned money even as a sole-prop.

Even if you find a good CPA who knows Miltary IC work - have him look over her material. As for Turbo tax, you can still use it and have an accountant review it - see if they note discrepancies. As with anything you learn a little more every time you do it.

salud,
1-0

kgoerz
03-11-2007, 17:19
kg,
Check out (www.junewalkeronline.com)...she has two books that are a big time help if you're doing IC work as a sole-prop.

I've set up up various entities and used to run an S-corp for tax saving reasons - but she has taught me a great deal about keeping YOUR hard earned money even as a sole-prop.

Even if you find a good CPA who knows Miltary IC work - have him look over her material. As for Turbo tax, you can still use it and have an accountant review it - see if they note discrepancies. As with anything you learn a little more every time you do it.

salud,
1-0

Good info, thanks