PDA

View Full Version : Blueberry Scones

brewmonkey
03-08-2007, 12:12
I enjoy a good scone with my morning cup of tea and recently found a recipe for blueberry scones that is simple to make. Of course you can substitute other fruits for the blueberries, such as cranberry or cherries. The other thing is you can add all the dry ingredients in a standard mason jar and make a gift out of this for like a "welcome to the neighborhood" or a teacher etc... Just make a recipe card to go along with the jar letting them know the instructions as well what other ingredients they will need to complete the scones. You can decorate the jar as you like if you go that route.

This will make about 12 scones.

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup dried blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 nonfat dry milk
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp dried lemon peel
1/4 tsp salt

Additional ingredients

1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup cold water

1- Preheat the oven to 400F

2- Place all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir until well combined

3- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the shortening into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the egg and enough water to just moisten the mixture and then form a ball.

4- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. With floured hands gently knead the dough 12-15 time. DO NOT OVER KNEAD! Pat the dough down into 1/2 thick circle.

5- Using floured 2 1/2" biscuit or cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds. Place the rounds 1" apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

6- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer scones to a wire cooling rack. Serve slightly warm.

echoes
03-08-2007, 17:09
I enjoy a good scone with my morning cup of tea and recently found a recipe for blueberry scones that is simple to make.

Brew,

Man after my own heart! :D Believe it or not, blueberries are good for you!

Holly

Gypsy
03-08-2007, 17:31
Mmmmyum, sounds awesome. Thanks Brew!

Sweetbriar
03-10-2007, 23:40
brew, will definitely try your recipe next. I've used the following with great success, but, Lordy, it is rich...

2 C flour
1 T sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C butter
1/2 C heavy cream
1 egg
1 C sweetened dried cranberries (Craisens)
2 tsp orange zest
1-2 T sugar

Preheat oven to 425. Grease a cookie sheet.

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Cut butter into dry mix until the butter is the size of small peas. Add remaining ingredients, mixing just until everything is moist. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface (what is left in the bowl will be plenty to keep it from sticking) and gather into a ball. Pat into a circle 3/4 inch thick; cut into 8 wedges (but leave them in the circle to bake). Slide onto a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown.