PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

kailua99
02-28-2007, 18:36
Notice to all future candidates - get in the pool, learn to swim! It should not be a surprise to anyone that there is a swim assessment at SFAS. Do not come all the way to FT Bragg just to nearly drown before you even get to Camp Mackall.

Warrior-Mentor
02-28-2007, 20:18
For those Candidates who don't know...do what he says.

x SF med
03-01-2007, 10:32
Become a fish! Be as comfortable in water as you are in your rack.

deanwells
03-01-2007, 10:40
Yeah what they said:munchin

Pete
03-01-2007, 13:18
First they struggle, then they thrash, then they slowly start to sink to the bottom.

I'd tell my guys, "Wait until they stop wiggling, it's easier to peel them off the bottom."

"MEDIC"

Roguish Lawyer
03-01-2007, 14:52
First they struggle, then they thrash, then they slowly start to sink to the bottom.

I'd tell my guys, "Wait until they stop wiggling, it's easier to peel them off the bottom."

"MEDIC"

LOL

x SF med
03-01-2007, 14:58
Drowning Creek, November through March, 'nuff said. Practice in COLD water boyos, VERY COLD water - especially if going to 10th Group.

The Reaper
03-01-2007, 15:25
Drowning Creek, November through March, 'nuff said. Practice in COLD water boyos, VERY COLD water - especially if going to 10th Group.

That is not where the swim test is conducted anymore, Papa Smurf.:rolleyes:

TR

Ret10Echo
03-01-2007, 16:04
North Sea....Ocean Going tug....block of ice on head....

x SF med
03-01-2007, 16:12

TR
Sir, that smarts!
Never the swim test, but the river crossing... and back in the days of the dinosaurs (IIRC, you were either a course before or a course after me, thus firmly in the T-Rex family) weather didn't matter - the crossings were made if the 38* water :eek: was nice (June-September) evil (November-March) or a combination of both (April-June, October) dependent on the ambient temperature. No matter when, the shrinkage factor and pucker factor were forces to be reckoned with.:lifter

Warrior-Mentor
03-01-2007, 18:09

TR

..but there's ample opportunities for unscheduled swim tests that students accidentally put themselves through.

I had a scare one night land nav...near a pond that had a dam on the south side. Not wanting to get caught running the road (dam), I moved south o the pond. One bad step and I found myself quickly sinking in a swampy mud, that seemed like quicksand. If I hadn't grabbed a root and pulled myself out, I was close to popping those quick release straps on the ruck straps to bail out.

Swimming wouldn't have helped there, but plenty of peers told stories about falling off logs, etc and getting in deep enough to need a good dog paddle to get to shore....

kailua99
03-01-2007, 20:43
a picture is worth a thousand words...

x SF med
03-02-2007, 07:38
Nightmares, flashbacks, put it away!!!!! get rid of that pic!!!

SRT31B
03-02-2007, 08:17
A view of things to come?

I hope its at least somewhat warm next month... :D

Kyobanim
03-02-2007, 09:03

When did you take that picture of my swimming pool? I swear, I've cleaned it up since then.

Daver
03-02-2007, 18:48
Just so everyone remembers....this is the infamous "Scuba Road" and it was a nice balmy day when the boss snapped this photo..by bamly I mean at least there wasn't ice anywhere!!!! Also, when you soon to be candidates get ready to cross this, keep your trash! The SGM gets irritated when he does Police call down there!

x SF med
03-02-2007, 19:18
North Sea....Ocean Going tug....block of ice on head....

Marops, February, Popham Beach, Maine - Drowning Creek's Big Brother from Hell... any other 10th guys want to chime in on this?

12B4S
03-03-2007, 23:53
x........ I don't know about you guys playing in the balmy waters of Maine and all. It's not any fun unless your swimming in Bavarian Alps' lakes and rivers. Ya should have to at least break ice half way across in a blizzard and be in the water for a minimum of three hours, just to get to a rocky stream to crawl up to the objective, consuming several more hours. ;)

"The drop zones are getting smaller and the water is getting colder"
( LTC Faistenhammer to us wretched souls in an address in the Flint theatre. Circa !970 )

OH joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete
03-04-2007, 06:15
Oh Boy, It's starting to get deep around here. Let me get my face mask on and regulator in my mouth. EeeeeShhhhh - Ckuuuuuw, eeeeShhhhhhh Ckuuuuw.:D

OK, bring 'um on

Pete

12B4S
03-04-2007, 20:42
;)

lksteve
03-04-2007, 20:52
Marops, February, Popham Beach, Maine - North Sea, Denmark, April...Macharanish, Scotland...April...Mirror Lake, January...Key West, January 1978 (after a light snowfall)...

cold water belongs in a glass next to three fingers of whisky...

x SF med
03-05-2007, 08:46
ahhh, the Mirror Lakes - every body remembers Big Mirror Lake, Little Mirror Lake was over the ridge... no road to it, a ruck/running trail went right by it though, boat drills from Big to Little, a little traversing rough terrain in January... I will have nightmares tonight about those little training sessions.:)