PDA

View Full Version : Hardest decision to make

helicom6
02-28-2007, 01:25
I am currently serving with a group that is preparing to deploy and I have a hard decision to make. My ETS date is up and I am considering asking for a hardship to leave the service because of family issues here at home. I need some good thoughts from those that have been there. My mind is going in all different directions. Thanks

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-28-2007, 05:37
No one can decide this for you, but it sounds to me that you have already decided. From a cdr's point of view I do not want anyone with me whose mind is elsewhere and not on the task at hand. I have personally cut folks loose from missions because I knew that there were going to be pre-occupied which would have put other folks in jeopardy if they couldn't focus. Folks with families have serious considerations all the time but when you find that it's time for your family to come before men and mission it is time to throw in the towel.

Traveler151
02-28-2007, 14:40
I agree totally with Jack. If you are not focused you become a liability. Your decision affects all around you, but whatever decision you make, make it and follow through with it wholly. Leave the "what if" in Iso.

Ret10Echo
02-28-2007, 14:44
Hard to come to that conclusion, but as J.M. stated your team needs your full focus, your head can't be elsewhere. From the receiving side it's no picnic to be deployed with someone who isn't THERE....

Good luck

The Reaper
02-28-2007, 15:44
Concur, but if I had not been before, I would ask myself if I were going to get a chance to go again.

It would be a bear to go the rest of your life wishing you had gone with your people.

On the other hand, if you have been before or will get the chance again, and can do something important for the family, you have to do what you have to do.

Good luck.

TR