PDA

View Full Version : DLR Rejoins Van Halen

Roguish Lawyer
02-22-2007, 18:09
They are touring this summer, with Eddie's 15-year-old son Wolfgang playing bass instead of Michael Anthony. :munchin

Beach Bum
02-22-2007, 19:37
Didn't they try to reunite once before with less than harmonious results? I don't think that DLR has mellowed with age is and is any more willing now then before to be less than the center of attention!

In my opinioin, he was the best front man they have had! It just isn't VH without him.

Warrior-Mentor
02-22-2007, 21:17
1987 Baby!
The good old days....wonder if there going to play any Van Hagar on this tour?

Goggles Pizano
02-23-2007, 09:02
As much as I prefer VH with Roth he looks like about five miles of bad road right now as is his voice. Anthony is gone as well? Your not the Stones guys-please quit while people are still purchasing your old music.

echoes
02-23-2007, 12:43
Oh goodness! You guys! I told myself NOT to post in ANY music threads, but, a dollar is a dollar. OK? :D

There are so many "behind-the-scenes" reasons for this inflamatory work-up brought about by "the Business", IMO.

It will be fun though, to see DLR again with Van Halen.

The Reaper might also have a thought or two? :munchin

Holly

CDRODA396
02-23-2007, 16:25
Just heard on the radio today the entire tour is cancelled...anyone confirm? I know it wouldnt last...:(

Roguish Lawyer
02-23-2007, 16:45
Just heard on the radio today the entire tour is cancelled...anyone confirm? I know it wouldnt last...:(

http://www.vhnd.net/articles/070223-01.shtml

Van Halen Tour On Hold But Still In The Works
February 23rd, 2007

February 23, 2007, 2:00 PM ET
Ray Waddell, Nashville

A prospective Van Halen tour with original frontman David Lee Roth has derailed. Sources tell Billboard.com the decision to postpone the outing indefinitely was not due to any internal strife among band members. Insiders close to the situation say a tour is still in the works and will happen, though when is anybody's guess.

The tour, negotiations for which were first tipped here on Jan. 24, will feature Roth, Eddie and Alex Van Halen, and Eddie Van Halen's teenage son Wolfgang on bass. A spokesperson for the Van Halen brothers confirmed the tour in a Feb. 3 press release.

Indeed, wheels were in motion for a 40-date, Live Nation-produced amphitheatre tour to be announced Feb. 20, including venues and on-sale dates.

The Van Halen camp has yet to make any official announcement about the postponement or the reasons behind it.

bandycpa
02-23-2007, 19:12
What?! No love for Gary Cherone???:D

Maybe it depends on when you started listening to Van Halen, but Sammy (IMHO) was the man. Saw them in concert in 1992, and they were fantastic.

Dave always seemed a little prissy to me. Sammy was more like the regular guy you could imagine coming out of the audience to sing.

Bandy

The Reaper
02-23-2007, 20:33
I have said it before, and I'll say it again, I always thought that DLR was an egomaniacal, self-centered little jerk, and Sammy was the man. Now Diamond Dave has no hair, a paunch, and an even worse voice. He can barely talk now, much less sing.

Sammy has always had a much better voice, IMHO, a smaller ego, a career before he came to VH, and seemed to have a much better work ethic.

Long live the Red Rocker and Van Hagar!

Now where is the emoticon with the lighter raised in the little hand?

There's Only One Way to Rock.

TR

Monsoon65
02-23-2007, 20:43
Dave was an entertainer. Sammy was (and is) a rocker.

echoes
02-23-2007, 21:11
I have said it before, and I'll say it again, I always thought that DLR was an egomaniacal, self-centered little jerk, and Sammy was the man. Now Diamond Dave has no hair, a paunch, and an even worse voice. He can barely talk now, much less sing.

Sammy has always had a much better voice, IMHO, a smaller ego, a career before he came to VH, and seemed to have a much better work ethic.

Long live the Red Rocker and Van Hagar!

TR

Sir,
Fantastic as usual. :D

Holly

Roguish Lawyer
02-24-2007, 09:39

LOL, today, Mr. FOG, cell phones are raised instead. :D

Sionnach
02-24-2007, 09:54
Double-post... oops.

Sionnach
02-24-2007, 09:59
LOL, today, Mr. FOG, cell phones are raised instead. :D

That is so lame. :rolleyes: I can't believe the Nintendo generation have replaced a lighter with a cell phone. Of course, these same folks have replaced news channels with E! Long live the lighter and Van Hagar!

*Note: I think I qualify as part of that generation :o

82ndtrooper
02-24-2007, 13:50

I had heard that DLR was touring with VH, but my first thought was, how long? and if it actually get's to the stage?

Journey just announced that Jeff Scott Soto is going to be their "GUY" in front of the mic. After 8 years with Steve Augeri, who replaced Steve Perry, Steve A was seen as the "Perry voice with a perm" by all the fans. Actually I just listened to a live version of "Separate Ways" and thought it was Steve Perry...........it wasn't ! it was Steve Augeri, and now Jeff Scott Soto.

I've seen both Steve Augeri and Jeff Scott Soto, and Steve Augeri is hands down a better voice for the Journey genre of music.

On the other hand, I just heard Jeff Scott Soto sing "Panama" and I thought it was actually DLR :eek: Maybe Journey and Van Halen need to make a withdrawal of their decisions and swap out and back to these singers.

Roguish Lawyer
02-25-2007, 00:35
Augeri does sound just like Perry. Saw him with Journey in concert a few years ago and was very impressed. So much so that I bought the new album, which sucked. :rolleyes:

Warrior-Mentor
02-25-2007, 07:39
What?! No love for Gary Cherone???:D

Maybe it depends on when you started listening to Van Halen, but Sammy (IMHO) was the man. Saw them in concert in 1992, and they were fantastic.

Dave always seemed a little prissy to me. Sammy was more like the regular guy you could imagine coming out of the audience to sing.

Bandy

5150 was my 1st concert and it was great.
Sammy is phenomenal on stage.

The Reaper
02-25-2007, 09:23
Augeri does sound just like Perry. Saw him with Journey in concert a few years ago and was very impressed. So much so that I bought the new album, which sucked. :rolleyes:

I always preferred Journey with Steve Perry.

Helluva voice and range.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
02-25-2007, 10:42
I always preferred Journey with Steve Perry.

Helluva voice and range.

TR

Have you heard them with Augeri? Seriously, it is difficult to tell the difference. The guy sounds just like Steve Perry.

82ndtrooper
02-25-2007, 13:25

"Generations" ?

If so, you gotta admit, the first TWO songs are without a doubt "Hard as nails":lifter

I did see Steve Augeri/Journey twice and once this past summer with the new Jeff Scott Soto (July 13th, Chastain Park, Atlanta Ga) At that time, Jeff Scott Soto was only supposed to be filling in because Steve Augeri had throat problems....................maybe he wasn't sucking hard enough:eek:

What was interesting was that Journey was touring with Def Leapard. Chastain Park was sold out, packed to the gills, hot as hell and Journey came out first ! WTF ? They put on one of the best shows I've seen, and with a new "step in " front man. Once Journey left the stage, about a third of the crowd starting leaving the Park. Guess listening Joe Eliot wasn't their thing.

AxeMan
02-25-2007, 18:15
I saw Sammy sing with Ronnie Montrose circa 1983 I think. It must have been a special (guest appearance)deal because he had been broken up with Montrose for some years at that point. He was with the short lived H.S.A.S. if anyone remembers that band and it was Sammy's new thing at the time playing with Neil Schon. They opened up for Eddie Money who was a big deal at the time also. Sammy was amazing and played some great guitar too. Montrose and Schon were both in that same caliber that Eddie was in as far as guitar slinging goes, so Sammy was used to fronting and playing with a virtuoso way back then.
After all that, Eddie Money kind of sucked.
.....MDW

echoes
02-25-2007, 20:46
5150 was my 1st concert and it was great.
Sammy is phenomenal on stage.

Sir,
the 5150 half-stack was my first professional amp...it was tube and solid state,with 6, count 'em, 6L6's, and brought a healuva presence. I played it though the Music-Man EVH, and it produced sound that was made in heaven...even though it was just me playing. :D

Ahhh, the good-ol days.
Holly