View Full Version : Calcium, Vitamin D Cut Stress Fractures

BMT (RIP)
02-16-2007, 07:24
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2007/2/15/92923.shtml?s=he

:munchin

BMT

jatx
02-16-2007, 11:54
Thanks for posting this. I'll do anything to avoid getting stress fractures again, and had not read about the role of Vitamin D in calcium uptake.

Roycroft201
02-16-2007, 12:55
jatx-

You may want to check out something that my physician told me about for this purpose called Viactiv ( check with your own physician first, of course, and as anyone taking an anti-coagulant should if they are thinking about adding Vitamin K). I bought it at BJ's but I'm sure any 'big box' store or pharmacy will have it. It's a calcium supplement that contains Vitamins D & K. ("Vitamin D enhances calcium absorbtion and vitamin K aids in calcium utilization.") They are chocolate flavored calcium chews and taste just like a chocolate caramel :D .

RC201

jatx
02-16-2007, 13:07
Thanks for the tip.

Joe-Boo
02-16-2007, 13:12
I did not know this was new...I used Citri-Cal to heal stress fractures years ago.

Always thought is was a no brainer...didn't we learn as kids that milk (calcium) helps build strong bones. Not being able to handle large amounts of milk I just resorted to Calcium pills with vitamin D as a reasonable alternative after months of my shins not healing...worked in weeks.

Anyway, count me as one who has done it with positive results.

BMT (RIP)
02-16-2007, 13:31
Wait until one of our local "WITCH DOCTORS" I mean 18D's jump on this thread.

:D

BMT

Jgood
02-16-2007, 13:46
In Nov I had a possible stress fracture(wasnt able to see it in the xray) in my foot from rucking, My Doc told me to increase my milk drinking and to take Vit. C and D to aid in my recovery and reduce future injuries.

The Reaper
02-16-2007, 15:40
I was told during a recent physical that I had healed stress fractures in both my legs.

The Doc asked when did I break them, and I said that I did not recall ever having done it.

He looked at me strangely and advised me to be more careful and alert to such injuries in the future.

"Thanks, Doc." :rolleyes:

TR

Surgicalcric
02-16-2007, 17:22
Back in the day, while working at the SOPC-1 Med-shed, we advised all the guys we saw with stress Fxs to up their Calcium intake as well as Vitamins D & K to speed their recovery.

Have seen a few studies on the subject in the past.

Crip

Peregrino
02-16-2007, 17:54
jatx-

You may want to check out something that my physician told me about for this purpose called Viactiv. **** They are chocolate flavored calcium chews and taste just like a chocolate caramel :D .
RC201

Viactiv is targeted for women and osteoporosis. That's why my wife has a couple boxes of them laying around the house. FWIW even chocolate coated caramel flavored chews aren't enough to ensure regular consumption :rolleyes: . Peregrino