PDA

View Full Version : Paul Howe/CSAT Tactical Rifle Class

Air.177
02-12-2007, 12:02
Thanks to JATX for the heads up on the Paul Howe Rifle class last weekend. Nice range facility, Paul is a great instructor. Had a great time and learned quite a bit about the basics of running a rifle from 7 to 300 yds.

jatx
02-12-2007, 12:15
I'm glad you could make it, I learned a lot, too. I'm going to check with Paul before posting my AAR to make sure that I don't reveal anything too proprietary.

In general, though, Paul is a great instructor and I have to agree with Blake about the facilities. His emphasis is on "surgical shooting" over speed, although my speed improved a lot over the course of the weekend. It felt great watching my one shot times from 7 yds. drop from about 1.5 seconds to .84 seconds. :)

Next up: CSAT's Tactical Pistol course in two weeks. :lifter

Team Sergeant
02-12-2007, 12:47
His emphasis is on "surgical shooting" over speed,

I wonder where that came from........

Any point shooting techniques in his classes? :rolleyes:

TS

The Reaper
02-12-2007, 12:47
Paul is a Great American.

TR

Team Sergeant
02-12-2007, 12:50

TR

He's also probably the best weapons instructor in the country at the moment.;)

Air.177
02-12-2007, 13:00

TR

BTW Sir,
He sends his regards.

Good times,
Blake

jatx
02-12-2007, 13:56
I wonder where that came from........

Any point shooting techniques in his classes? :rolleyes:

TS

No point shooting, TS. We were taught that each shot requires two full sight pictures. :cool:

BTW, thanks for the recommendation awhile back.

Endorphin Rush
02-12-2007, 16:58
I've been to two of Paul's courses. Paul is the quintessential instructor. He's also one of the nicest guys you'll have the chance to meet.

Another thanks out to Team Sergeant for having recommended him.

Team Sergeant
02-12-2007, 17:52
Another thanks out to Team Sergeant for having recommended him.

I just thought about who I'd listen to as a weapons instructor and for teaching military, LEO's and civies you're not going to find anyone (that is teaching weapons & tactics) as good as Paul. I've never met him but I know his background and what's he's been taught.
99.999% of the people will never to get a chance to get that level of weapons instruction.

NousDefionsDoc
02-12-2007, 19:19
He's also probably the best weapons instructor in the country at the moment.;)
Hey!...Never mind, kg and I are still OCONUS.:)

I'd like to read the AAR if he's cool with it. I've never met him either, but after reading his book, I know he's got his head right. And that's 90% of the battle.

swatsurgeon
02-12-2007, 19:47
As to the 'surgical shooting': slower is faster, efficiency breeds speed....speed alone breeds mistakes.....sounds like something the TS whispered in my ear on the range way back in S.C.

ss

Smokin Joe
02-13-2007, 01:15
I'd like to read the AAR if he's cool with it. I've never met him either, but after reading his book, I know he's got his head right. And that's 90% of the battle.

Ditto.

Also, what kind of optics where most running in the class?

Air.177
02-13-2007, 08:36
Ditto.

Also, what kind of optics where most running in the class?

Joe,
I saw lots of Eotechs, at least one ACOG, and at least one Leupold low power variable. Lots of Irons too.

I know of at least 3 POF Piston uppers, and of those, I know that 2 of them had some problems with one of those being an 11" that had TONS of issues and eventually laid down completely.

To the best of my knowledge, I was the only person in the class masochistic enough to run a 20" HBAR (with irons)

Gear was all over the spectrum from myself and my buddy who ran one rifle mag carrier, one pistol mag carrier, concealment holsters and back pockets full of 30 rounders; To full chest rigs/plate carriers and thigh rigs with everything in between.

Lots of knowledge exchange between students, good opportunities to discuss different options.

Good times,
Blake

jatx
02-13-2007, 11:49
Background

After entering military service last year, I began investigating ways to maintain and improve my shooting skills. I expect to deploy overseas very soon after becoming branch qualified and therefore feel the need to work on these critical skills on my own time and at my own expense. However, I was not interested in instructors lacking a SOF background or in those catering to the “gun game” crowd. Team Sergeant recommended Paul Howe to me, placing him at the top of a very short list.

Paul runs a shooting school near Nacogdoches, Texas, named Combat Shooting & Tactics. Last year, the opportunities to train with him were limited somewhat by work he was doing with Triple Canopy. However, around Christmas time I was on his website and saw that he had both Tactical Rifle and Tactical Pistol classes open early this year. I immediately enrolled in both.

Facilities

CSAT sits on several dozen acres of rolling woodland just south of town. There is a running stream and abundant wildlife, including wild pigs and coyote. Multiple ranges have been constructed, including one covered 100 yard range, another 100 yard range with barricades and reactive steel targets, a “sniper hill” with 200 and 300 yard lanes, an elaborate obstacle course, and a “scrambler” course with about a dozen stations. For the last of these, imagine a sort of tactical sporting clays course with each point requiring a mix of rifle and pistol shots on steel at ranges from 25 to 200 yards.

There are also two classrooms, including one open air area and another indoors. There are multiple hotels and restaurants within minutes of the facility, as well as good nightlife options owing to the presence of Stephen F. Austin State University.

Overall Orientation

The shooting system taught at CSAT is geared toward making lethal hits at realistic ranges and speeds. Students in my class included a mix of private citizens, contractors, LEOs and National Guard SF soldiers. All arrived with a sound base of skills and experience.

Paul’s goal with students is to give them a basis and program for improving on those skills over time. He measures progress based on individual performance when shooting his “standards”, which are 11 drills with corresponding time goals. All shooting is done on modified IPSC torso targets with a kill zone approximately five inches wide and extending from the bottom of the sternum to the neck. His philosophy is that, in order to quickly incapacitate with the 5.56 round, bullets must strike the spine, the heart and its immediate blood vessels, or the brain. Whether the target is viewed from the side or the front, this kill zone is the same size.

The standards are:

1. 1 shot/1 target, 7 yards, 1 second
2. 2 shots/1 target, 7 yards, 1.5 seconds
3. 5 shots to torso, 1 to head/1 target, 7 yards, 3 seconds
4. 2 shots/2 targets, 7 yards, 3 seconds
5. 1 shot rifle, 1 shot pistol/1 target, 7 yards, 3 seconds
6. 5 shots/1 target, 100 yards prone unsupported, 15 seconds
7. 5 shots/1 target, 75 yards kneeling, 12 seconds
8. 5 shots/1 target, 50 yards kneeling, 10 seconds
9. 5 shots/1 target, 25 yards standing, 8 seconds
10. 5 shots/1 target, 200 yards prone unsupported, 15 seconds
11. 5 shots/1 target, 300 yards prone unsupported, 15 seconds

The starting position for all drills, including prone and kneeling shots, is standing at the low ready. Students are measured on the standards early in the first day of instruction for a baseline, then repeatedly throughout the weekend to measure their progress. The ratio of dry to live fire during the course is approximately 70/30, and I shot about 800 rounds of rifle ammunition and another 50 or so of pistol over the course of two days.

Most of the first day was spent refining student technique on these standards. Paul’s emphasis is on accuracy and economy of motion, not speed (although most students experienced an increase in speed after two days). Shots impacting outside of his kill zone are not counted as hits. Firing is done from a slightly bladed fighting stance and all shots require a full and complete sight picture and follow-through. Emphasis is placed on developing a firing rhythm that takes advantage of the natural respiratory cycle, just as the Army teaches during BRM.

A night fire exercise is also conducted during which students are introduced to the use of barricades and various light sources (ambient, weapon-mounted and car headlights). This is a high round count exercise on reactive steel targets with shooting done from both the strong and weak sides and the standing and kneeling positions.

The second day of the course includes additional practice on the standards, barricade techniques and the “scrambler”, which is performed in buddy teams with hot weapons.

jatx
02-13-2007, 11:54
Key Learnings

These will obviously be different for each individual, so I hope Blake will pitch in with any additions he’d like to make. Having just recently completed BRM training, I was well-prepared for the prone and kneeling standards. I was shooting a 14.5” POF with Eotech and Predator rail and I did note, however, that my performance in these positions was adversely affected by the rail height, which prevents a traditional cheek weld and requires a more heads-up technique. This is something I’ll have to work on. I also noted that my normal kneeling position was not possible with knee pads, which I had not anticipated, so I’ll have to make some adjustments there, as well.

My biggest gains were made at the standing position. While the Army is teaching reflexive fire and controlled pairs to IET soldiers, Paul’s measured approach with emphasis on good first round hits, sight picture and follow-through is largely absent. In addition, Paul teaches the importance of NPA when standing. Most shooters who are struggling to meet a time standard will muscle their weapon instead of letting the sights fall naturally back onto target. I found that speed came naturally when I focused on my sight picture and on staying on my toes in an aggressive posture. Both speed and accuracy deteriorated when I shifted my focus to the target and/or rocked back to a more neutral stance.

The night fire exercise was very useful, particularly the requirement to move from behind cover and back on your weak side at both the standing and kneeling positions. This involved some interesting contortions, but techniques were offered to make both more comfortable. Students were using a mix of LED and incandescent weapon lights with various degrees of success. I was using a Streamlight TLR-2 and found that it had plenty of punch out to 75 yards. Additionally, I found that the targets remained visible to me for longer than with the incandescent lights once the air became thick with smoke. I was also very happy to have the laser available, which was a big help when shooting from the more awkward positions (it also provided visual evidence of how stable a platform I had achieved).

Finally, Paul favors stepping from behind cover with your weapon at the ready, instead of “pieing” the target as I was previously taught during MOUT training. I believe the supporting rationale is that, if you can teach yourself to “see quickly”, this technique helps you maintain the edge due to surprise, whereas “pieing” puts you and your opponent on even footing, especially when weapon lights are being used.

Lastly, the scrambler course provided some useful insights into shooting under stress or physical exertion in real-world conditions. Not all shots are made from a covered, crushed-stone lined firing position. Sometimes you must use a terrain feature for cover, step out of a thicket for a quick shot, shoot down on targets from extreme angles or from the side and transition to your secondary at ranges normally reserved for the rifle. You must do all of this while maintaining constant awareness of your buddy, and while dealing with the flying brass and the report of his weapon. Unlike Blake, I had never even attempted a pistol shot at more than 25 yards, so hitting an 8 inch steel target at 100 yards with a racing heart was a real challenge. I missed more often than not, but the hits sure were rewarding!

All in all, this was a great weekend. I’m now much more confident in my rifle abilities and have a concrete plan for maintaining/improving them in the future. The student to instructor ratio was very low (about 3/1), and I can honestly say that I never stepped back from the firing line without receiving some sort of very specific individual feedback. Paul has a very low-key style without a lot of bluster or swagger, which rubs off on the students, and he made all of us feel like we were his guests for the weekend.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to address them. I'm posting this with Paul's blessing and he will probably stroll through at some point in the discussion. Let's try to keep him around! :lifter

mugwump
02-13-2007, 12:09
Great report, thanks.

Air.177
02-13-2007, 13:15
Jonathan covered the class in excellent detail, no need for redundancy from me, so I'll touch on a few points about the class in general and my experience in particular.

Jonathan brought the class to my attention in late january and I was able to secure the last two slots in the class for myself and a coworker/shooting buddy.

Until I attended this class, I had had no formal rifle instruction beyond,"the bullets come out this end, line up the sights and go to work." I have had some pistol instruction and I have been shooting for a number of years in various disciplines including ,"Tactical 3-gun".

My intentions going into the course were to gain a better understainding in the basic use of the rifle from essentially contact range to 2-300 yds.

Paul Howe, what needs to be said here that hasn't been? Upon hearing of the class, I spoke with several well respected members of this board and heard nothing but good things about the instructor and signed up as soon as I was able.

This particular course of instruction was somewhat basic, beginning with zeroing of the weapon using iron sights and optics (if equipped).

The standards Jonathan mentioned were addressed throughout the course and there requirements were discussed, as well as their relevance to real life.

Our instructors were mostly helpful and well spoken and included lots of Law Enforcement personalities (understatement of the year), and several foreign nationals.

At one point in the course, the standard IPSC type cardboard targets were obscured with T-shirts to illustrate that humans don't have scoring zones and an appropriate sight picture needs to be acheived that is not scoring zone dependant, and allows you to put effective rounds on target. I feel that this exercise was a good one and could be quite eye opening for anyone used to shooting clearly marked paper targets.

The Scrambler that Jonathan mentioned was a good course of fire that stressed improvised shooting positions that took the shooter out of their comfort zone with rifle and pistol. Ranges were from 25 yds with pistol to 300 yds with rifle including at least one 100yd pistol shot. Targets were full size steel IPSC man, approx. 9x12 "a zone plates, and a few 5 inch or so discs.

I am lucky in the regard that I have several private ranges available on which I can practice ridiculous handgun shooting, and 100 yd shots are not out of the ordinary, though they always demand focus and adherance to basic pistol marksmanship

Air.177
02-13-2007, 13:26
The Scrambler also stressed movement with another shooter, I shot the course with a close friend and shooting partner that I am very familiar with and trust very much, I believe that this course (especially movement with a hot weapon) would have been significantly more challenging and un-nerving if I had an unfamiliar partner.

Our Instructor from Bulgaria was a colorful individual to say the least. He did not have a high opinion of his neighbor countries at all and was quite vocal on this topic. He helped to fine tune small things that may have gone un-noticed to the shooters themselves, but made a difference in results.

Basically, I would recommend this facility and Howe in general to anyone who would like to further their skill at arms. I understand that his mindset lectures are also quite good and will attempt to attend one in the future.

frostfire
02-13-2007, 16:16
Air.177, jatx,

what pistols were most of the folks using to make the 100 yards shot?
Did you notice any correlation among skill, shooter, and hardware?

thanks

Air.177
02-13-2007, 16:33
Air.177, jatx,

thanks

The ones they were carrying;)

I did see a bunch of glocks, at least one Beretta 92, a sig or 2, an XD, and at least one 1911

I honestly didn't watch many folks run the course, so I don't know who hit/missed and with what. As you will surely read elsewhere, it's the man, not the machine that gets the hits.

There were a couple of Police officers who were using their issued equipment, in the configuration they use it everyday who were pretty decent shooters and had their gear pretty well squared away. I didn't notice any Blatantly goofy or excessively showy rigs really, most of the folks there used what they would be expected to use. Once again, I was busy sorting out my own self, so I wasn't watching what the guys to my right were fighting with.

HTH

jatx
02-13-2007, 17:31
Air.177, jatx,

thanks

I remember seeing lots of Glocks, one USP Expert, and a couple of 1911's (including mine). Rifles ranged from 20 inchers with iron sights like Blake's to an 8.5 inch with an Eotech being used by an SF doc. The choice seemed to have no bearing on the quality of hits.

I used a very simple rig for the course and it worked well. It was a SORD MFF base with TT three mag shingle, admin pouch for pen and paper, and a white light with pouch. I never needed more than three mags for any course of fire, and had more loaded and waiting behind the firing line if I needed them. I took six rifle mags and six pistol mags down with me.

Most people were using some sort of chest rig, although all of the SWAT guys were using plate carriers and I saw one full-blown CIRAS (in multicam, no less :D ). My understanding is that the plate carriers were for active shooter situations where they could just throw it on over soft armor and live off of what was on the vest.

I was using a belt holster for my 1911, and that is something I'm going to change before the next class. During transition drills, my hand falls naturally to my thigh, so I'm going to try a drop holster.

Also, the Alta Superflex knee pads deserve a big thumbs up. A couple of us had them and they are great. Very little slippage, though I am still going to put some shoe goo on the straps.

APD281
02-13-2007, 17:58
Thanks for the great reviews guys. A few days ago I signed up for his Tactical 1 rifle class he is putting on in October in Illinois. His web site and book are worth checking out too.

NousDefionsDoc
02-13-2007, 18:08
Great review. Thanks guys.

Peregrino
02-13-2007, 18:18
Solid, professional AARs. Thanks guys. Sounds like learning and having a good time went well together. Peregrino

mugwump
02-13-2007, 18:38
Thanks for the great reviews guys. A few days ago I signed up for his Tactical 1 rifle class he is putting on in October in Illinois. His web site and book are worth checking out too.

You got me all excited...LEO only. :(

Peregrino
02-13-2007, 19:28

Normal people find it difficult to own the required weapons in Illinois. :boohoo Sort of like the other "people's republics". My father lives in the lower half of the state - God alone knows why :confused: . He certainly spends enough time cursing Chicago politicians. Peregrino

vsvo
02-13-2007, 19:54
Great reviews, gents. Thanks!

The Reaper
02-13-2007, 20:30

Or you could travel to Nacogdoches with a copy of your CCW permit.:D

TR

mugwump
02-14-2007, 09:20
Normal people find it difficult to own the required weapons in Illinois. :boohoo Sort of like the other "people's republics". My father lives in the lower half of the state - God alone knows why :confused: . He certainly spends enough time cursing Chicago politicians. Peregrino

While I'll never get a SBR or can in IL, and I had to turn down an MG-34 that an old gent tried to give me, :boohoo but everything else is good to go. Cook County, specifically Chicago, is the exclusion zone (except for felons, who apparently were grandfathered an exception around the law).

Chicago politicians...what can I say. I'm schizo on Daly -- while I'm in total disagreement with his 2nd Amendment stance he's been great for the city as a whole. He's taken on the teacher's unions and turned around the schools, is very business friendly, and won't buy on to the Wal-Mart bashing. The governor's a total ass; it's a tradition here.

mugwump
02-14-2007, 09:21
Or you could travel to Nacogdoches with a copy of your CCW permit.:D

TR

Cruel...

PurpleHeartDO
02-14-2007, 13:33
It is true that Paul is a great American. I have worked with him for a few years now, and can say he does the right thing every time, even when no one is watching.

I took the class this weekend and was humbled by the "standards." I used new Viper M-16 shorty. Built by Greg Leaf at the M 16 Clinic. It performed better than I could have imagined.

I even had a decent group at 300, which was completely shocking to me. The standards and techniques Paul teaches will undoubtedly improve all of our scores, and hopefully prove to be effective the next time I go down range.

It is an honor to know him. Keep up the good work Paul.

mugwump
02-14-2007, 13:36
Easy there sir, I believe that Mr Mugwump was forced to decline the offer as the particular weapon was not on the,"up and up".

Good times,
Blake

No, it was fully transferrable and above board. Illinois is not a "machine gun state" and it just wouldn't work out. The old gent was former Wehrmacht, captured on the western front and sent to do farm work in Wisconsin. He was never repatriated -- he married the farmer's daughter. ;) I introduced him to my Uncle Ray, who was a Marine, and they became fast friends. Ray always said he had more in common with him than all the American 4Fs he ran into.

CPTAUSRET Sir, I wish I'd known you when it was available! The old guy would have heartily approved of you as its new owner. You two would have had a lot to talk about. As it turns out I helped him sell it -- he donated the money to his fire department (her was a long time volunteer firefighter).

jatx
02-14-2007, 14:26
I took the class this weekend and was humbled by the "standards." I used new Viper M-16 shorty. Built by Greg Leaf at the M 16 Clinic. It performed better than I could have imagined.

Good to see you here, Doc. BTW, shooting next to that shorty did a great job of clearing my sinuses. Thanks! :D

militarymoron
02-15-2007, 10:44
thanks for the interesting AAR, guys.

The Reaper
02-15-2007, 10:49
Can't ever have too much good CAS stacked, up waiting their turn at a gun run!:)

The only time you can have too much CAS is if you are standing at the bar buying drinks for them.

TR

CPTAUSRET
02-15-2007, 11:11
The only time you can have too much CAS is if you are standing at the bar buying drinks for them.

TR

TR:

DAMN! Good one!

Spoken like a "True Believer", one who has been there!;)

MtnGoat
02-21-2007, 12:07
Great review, THX

MeC86
10-05-2008, 09:49
Reading this thread got me to check out the CSAT website. Took a look around and discovered Paul Howe's article page on the site, offering opinions and thoughts about LE topics and Shooting Tactics. After reading almost everyone of them I went to amazon.com and ordered his book. Big fan of the combat mindset he preaches.

I have a few other officers reading the articles in their downtime.....very positive responses.

Now if I can just make it down to TX for a class.....tricky part will be convincing my training coordinator that the trip and cost is justified.

Wish me luck

Team Sergeant
10-05-2008, 14:42
Reading this thread got me to check out the CSAT website. Took a look around and discovered Paul Howe's article page on the site, offering opinions and thoughts about LE topics and Shooting Tactics. After reading almost everyone of them I went to amazon.com and ordered his book. Big fan of the combat mindset he preaches.

I have a few other officers reading the articles in their downtime.....very positive responses.

Now if I can just make it down to TX for a class.....tricky part will be convincing my training coordinator that the trip and cost is justified.

Wish me luck

There is not a better Law Enforcement instructor in the United States than Paul Howe, none.

If you cannot attend classified Special Operations shooting schools, Paul is the next best thing.;)

Save your pennnies and go to his classes. It might save your life.

Team Sergeant

Debo
10-05-2008, 20:05
Save your pennnies and go to his classes. It might save your life.

+1 I took two classes from him as a civilian and look forward to taking more from him when I get back to TX. His book is a must read and gets bought for every young leader I meet.

Blake, seems like forever ago I saw you at that course.

D.

Air.177
10-05-2008, 22:22
+1 I took two classes from him as a civilian and look forward to taking more from him when I get back to TX. His book is a must read and gets bought for every young leader I meet.

Blake, seems like forever ago I saw you at that course.

D.

Been a Bit I suppose.

Probably felt like longer ago than it really was.

Good times,
Blake

borebrush
10-06-2008, 10:40
FYI... Paul does travel an train quite a bit up north and on the east coast. (better weather for training in the hot months IIRC). Nackanowhere is bawls hot in August.

ZoneOne
10-06-2008, 18:08
Great review, I would love to get a chance to take some of his classes.

I have been looking to take some rifle/carbine classes in between training.

Archangel
10-28-2008, 14:47
Great review JATX. Sorry that I couldn't join you, but I had a class of my own (Magpul Dynamics AAR in another thread). Hope all is well with you and yours brother.

Paul Howe is definately on my short training list.

jatx
10-28-2008, 17:14
Hey Archangel, this was an AAR for a class from awhile back. I was supposed to be in his Instructor course last week, but had to miss it due to a training injury. Oh well, maybe you could join me in the spring...thanks for the Magpul pics btw.

Archangel
10-28-2008, 17:30
Hey Archangel, this was an AAR for a class from awhile back. I was supposed to be in his Instructor course last week, but had to miss it due to a training injury. Oh well, maybe you could join me in the spring...thanks for the Magpul pics btw.

Yeah definately man. I really want to take his pistol course early next year.

golddot
11-16-2008, 09:34
I just wrapped up the Tactical Operations in Rural terrain (Inst. by Rob Sivill) at CSAT. what a great place, i have been blessed in my life to train at some nice places under some great instructors. I can say that CSAT is a students dream. I say student because it is a great place to learn. I had the pleasure to meet Mr. Howe, he was one of those men that had that "quiet professional" demeanor about him but would still take the time to talk and visit with students. He signed his book for me (which i'm currently reading) and we talked about the state of affairs in our world.
I like the fact that he has bunks built into his building. too often the 100$ a night hotel can be a budget buster for some. i think it built a sense of teamwork into the classmates and allowed us to buy more beer and ammo ! LOL

i am going back. and encourage anyone looking for no nonsense training from a a great location to check em out.

brianksain
11-17-2008, 22:32
Another kudo for Paul.

He does a lot for the SWAT community, especially in Texas and Illinois.

Good dude that one.