PDA

View Full Version : Plagiarism of the "True Believer" quote

Team Sergeant
02-06-2007, 13:20
Seems everyone wants to steal your quote Doc and call it their own......

Americans, somewhere a "True Believer" is training to kill you because, unlike Europe, you refuse to submit! He is training with minimal food and water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. This True Believer is not concerned about "how hard it is". He will not stop in his mission; he knows either he wins or dies and both have great rewards and are acceptable to him.

http://www2.beaufortgazette.com/watching_europe_become_islamic

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"

NousDefionsDoc
www.professionalsoldiers.com

Team Sergeant
02-06-2007, 13:21
http://tattoosbybear.com/index.php?id=38&no_cache=1&tx_eeblog%5Bpointer%5D=1&tx_eeblog%5BshowUid%5D=37

More copyright infringement?

JMI
02-06-2007, 13:29
This site has roughly 4600 members, I wonder if any of these folks are members here or simply lurk here. Fascinating.

It is an awesome quote, though.

Team Sergeant
02-06-2007, 13:31
http://www.urbin.net/EWW/sigs/mil-sigs2.html

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home. He knows only The Cause.
Still want to quit?" -- Seen at Fort Irwin

http://www.iguanasoft.com/%7Ejeffersonian/blog0502.html
And in that vein, here's an anonymous bit from the net:

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about how hard it is, he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home. He knows only The Cause."

x SF med
02-06-2007, 13:49
RL-
We need online Copyright help - let's make NDD a rich man! C'mon Counselor, buck up and give my brother medic the Legal advice he needs to go after these plagarists!

incommin
02-06-2007, 14:14
Does this make NDD famous in his own time?

Jim

Bill Harsey
02-06-2007, 14:58
NDD was famous before he was born.

Chuck Norris asked NDD to join Special Forces because NDD was too tough for the martial arts world.

I want to be the first to nominate him for the Professional Soldiers Pulitzer Prize in the categories of non-fiction, history and poetry.

Jack Moroney, as resident poet laureate, of course has a say in this matter.

moobob
02-06-2007, 14:59
I ran into a soldier on lamespace that posted this quote, trying to pass it off as his own. I asked him about it; After some prodding, he knew that it was on PS.com, but he claimed he heard it at Benning. :rolleyes:

Plagiarism sucks.

x SF med
02-06-2007, 16:02
NDD was famous before he was born.

Chuck Norris asked NDD to join Special Forces because NDD was too tough for the martial arts world.

I want to be the first to nominate him for the Professional Soldiers Pulitzer Prize in the categories of non-fiction, history and poetry.

Jack Moroney, as resident poet laureate, of course has a say in this matter.

NDD didn't really get famous until the Q Course - Largest Medic ever, still holds the title, IIRC.

Chuck Norris was afraid of having to fight NDD, and therefore begged him to join SF to save his own ass in the ring. (sorry, Chuck, you know it's true)

I will second your Nomination for the PSPulitzer, but I think that the History category might have to go to AL, non-fiction and poetry will definitely go to NDD.

COL Jack - will you tender the nomination and seconding for NDDs PSPulitzer?

Roguish Lawyer
02-06-2007, 17:43
RL-
We need online Copyright help - let's make NDD a rich man! C'mon Counselor, buck up and give my brother medic the Legal advice he needs to go after these plagarists!

I cannot provide legal advice on a public forum without waiving the attorney-client privilege. NDD and TS know how to find me if they need help.

Sacamuelas
02-06-2007, 17:52
I cannot provide legal advice on a public forum without waiving the attorney-client privilege. NDD and TS know how to find me if they need help.

<<<<<<<<inserting into the legalnamese bullshittinator 2000>>>>>>>>

results:
Under no circumstances will there be any representation without compensation. NDD and TS know how much I cost and therefore chose not to use me.
:D

NousDefionsDoc
02-06-2007, 18:13
The quote belongs to PS.com. Any and all benefit, monetary ot otherwise, associated with the quote will go to the site in order to mitigate the catastrophic bandwidth issues.

You guys actually made me blush. Thanks for the kind words.

Roguish Lawyer
02-06-2007, 18:20
<<<<<<<<inserting into the legalnamese bullshittinator 2000>>>>>>>>

results:

Does this mean you're back? :munchin

Sacamuelas
02-06-2007, 18:45
Well, be careful what you ask for bro!:D

I'm Back!

x SF med
02-06-2007, 19:16
The quote belongs to PS.com. Any and all benefit, monetary ot otherwise, associated with the quote will go to the site in order to mitigate the catastrophic bandwidth issues.

You guys actually made me blush. Thanks for the kind words.

Can anybody else imagine NDD blushing? Would it look like a very angry red giant ready to destroy the world? (No offense bro, but a few of us know what you look like happy, and it might scare the faint of heart);)

Mav
02-06-2007, 20:18
...nm;)

jsragman
02-06-2007, 21:42
I saw this quote when I was at Airborne School over last summer. Bravo Company's CQ desk had a copy of it, but no attribution to NDD.

-Derek

holly76209
02-11-2007, 09:11
Hello, I'm Holly of Holly's Hystrionics.
I have just posted "True Believer" again. This time however, it is posted alone, not as part of a letter.
I have also noted, now that I am aware, that it is a copyrighted work; and have attributed it to PS according to NDD's wishes.
I hope that, since this was an unintentional error on my part and I have corrected it, you will return to my site as guests, friends, readers, instead of hostile lurkers. Can we start over? I'd like your take on the blog I wrote just before the original one y'all got upset about, it was about eco-friendly weapons. I got my shooter-readers opinions on it, how about some soldiers opinions, especialy on the hybrid tanks, and quiet bombs?

edit: I changed the font size to normal. Kyo

Team Sergeant
03-04-2007, 10:01
Some blogs,forums and newspapers are now publishing our quote as Henryk M. Broder writings.

Seems someone is twisting what Henryk M. Broder has published and added our PLAGIARIZED “True Believer” quote in his writing.

Also seems there are only three websites that use our plagiarized quote and they are:

http://blog.stevious.com/?m=200611

http://forums.sptimes.com/Forums/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=020319&p=1

http://www2.beaufortgazette.com/watching_europe_become_islamic

"The German author Henryk M. Broder recently told the Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant (12 October) that young Europeans who love freedom, better emigrate.
Europe as we know it will no longer exist 20 years from now. Whilst sitting on a terrace in Berlin , Broder pointed to the other customers and the passers-by and said melancholically: "We are watching the world of yesterday."
Europe is turning Muslim. As Broder is sixty years old he is not going to emigrate himself. "I am too old," he said. However, he urged young people to
get out and "move to Australia or New Zealand.â?� That is the only option they have if they want to avoid the plagues that will turn the old continent uninhabitable."
Many Germans and Dutch, apparently, did not wait for Broder's advice. The number of emigrants leaving the Netherlands and Germany has already surpassed the number of immigrants moving in. One does not have to be prophetic to predict, like Henryk Broder, that Europe is becoming Islamic. Just consider the demographics. The number of Muslims in contemporary Europe is estimated to be 50 million. It is expected to double in twenty years. By 2025, one third of all European children will be born to Muslim families. Today Mohammed is already the most popular name for new-born boys in Brussels, Amsterdam , Rotterdam, and other major European cities.
Boder is convinced that the Europeans are not willing to oppose islamization.
"The dominant ethos," he told De Volkskrant, "is perfectly voiced by the stupid blonde woman author with whom I recently debated. She said that it is sometimes better to let yourself be raped than to risk serious injuries while resisting.
She said it is sometimes better to avoid fighting than run the risk of death."
In a recent op-ed piece in the Brussels newspaper De Standaard (23 October) the Dutch (gay and self-declared "humanist") author Oscar Van den Boogaard refers to Broder's interview. Van den Boogaard says that to him coping with the islamization of Europe is like "a process of mourning." He is overwhelmed by a "feeling of sadness." "I am not a warrior," he says, "but who is? I have never learned to fight for my freedom. I was only good at enjoying it." As Tom Bethell wrote in this month's American Spectator: "Just at the most basic level
of demography the secular-humanist option is not working." But there is more to it than the fact that non-religious people tend not to have as many children as religious people, because many of them prefer to "enjoy" freedom rather than renounce it for the sake of children. Secularists, it seems to me, are also less keen on fighting. Since they do not believe in an afterlife, this life is the only thing they have to lose. Hence they will rather accept submission than fight. Like the German feminist Broder referred to, they
prefer to be raped than to resist.
"If faith collapses, civilization goes with it," says Bethell. That is the real cause of the closing of civilization in Europe. Islamization is simply the
consequence. The very word Islam means "submission" and the secularists have submitted already. Many Europeans have already become Muslims, though they do not realize it or do not want to admit it.
Some of the people I meet in the U.S. are particularly worried about the rise of anti-Semitism in Europe. They are correct when they fear that anti-Semitism is also on the rise among non-immigrant Europeans. The latter hate people with a fighting spirit. Contemporary anti-Semitism in Europe (at least when coming from native Europeans) is related to anti-Americanism. People who are not prepared to resist and are eager to submit, hate others who do not want to submit and are prepared to fight. They hate them because they are afraid that the latter will endanger their lives as well. In their view everyone must submit.
This is why they have come to hate Israel and America so much, and the small band of European "islamophobes" who dare to talk about what they see happening around them. West Europeans have to choose between submission (Islam) or death. I fear, like Broder, that they have chosen submission - just
like in former days when they preferred to be red rather than dead.
Americans, somewhere a "True Believer" is training to kill you because, unlike Europe , you refuse to submit! He is training with minimal food and water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. This True Believer is not concerned about "how hard it is. He will not stop in his mission; he knows either he wins or dies and both have great rewards and are acceptable to him.
If he wins, his religious fervor expands. If he dies, he dies with the belief that he is a hero with great rewards awaiting him in Heaven. He doesn't go home at 5 PM; he is at home in his overwhelming religious dedication. He knows only The Cause.
This is the problem Europe faces. Like the woman author quoted above: "it is sometimes better to let yourself be raped than to risk serious injuries while resisting." She continued: "it is sometimes better to avoid fighting than run
the risk of death."
Like the Muslim fighter above, Americans must have something they believe in so strongly they are willing to fight and die for it. Freedom and the lifestyle it provides us have been taken for granted by so many for so long, it will take a radical shift caused by the "True Believer fighters" for us to wakeup! "

Martin
03-04-2007, 10:32
Perhaps adding it to Snopes could help a bit?

M

Genghis_Don
03-04-2007, 12:18
NDD,

I borrowed it as my signature for another site, but gave you credit. It was too good not to.

GD

Cincinnatus
03-04-2007, 17:00
While I've no doubt that some of those are, in fact, examples of plagiarism, this sentiment is not an uncommon one. I remember shortly after coming to this forum exchanging PMs with NDD about a version I'd seen on a t-shirt sev'l years ago that read, to the best of my recollection, "Right now, someone is training to kill you and take what's yours. Still wanna quit?"

NousDefionsDoc
03-04-2007, 17:07
I remember the conversation. I never saw any such T-shirt.

And Brah, a lot of people have said something similar, but nobody has ever been able to point us in the right direction.

Cincinnatus
03-17-2007, 11:02
Ahhh! Meant to respond to this before and forgot.

First, Sneaky, I was not in any way implying that you did come up with the idea entirely on your own. My sincerest apologies if you thought I was casting any sort of aspersion on you integrety.

As per, IIRC, our previous converation on this topic, I think the germ of the notion (what a song writer would call the hook), the "still wanna quit" piece is simple enough and topical enough that it could occur simultaneously to different people, much as very similar sentiments appear on slightly different bumper stickers when an issue looms large in the public consciousness.

The "True Believer" component was not something I'd ever seen before your quote, and the nature of that (e.g., the G making his own web gear) reflects your specific background, training, and outlook, so that it is exceedingly unlikely that someone else would come up with the same sort or language. However, as plagiarism requires a conscious and deliberate stealing of another's ideas or words, it is still quite possible that this hasn't occurred.

Again, given the topicality and interest in terrorism and the relative softness of many in the West, this is the kind of thing that captures the public's imagination and gets repeated, generally without attribution, evolving slightly as it is repeated. Things stick in people's consciousness without their recognizing it. (The most famous example may be that of Helen Keller, apparently entirely unknowingly, offering a near perfect copy of a poem that she had heard as a child as her own.)

Dad "busted" me once on an idea that I was using in something I was writing as belonging to an author we'd both read (Lawrence Saunders), I was sure the thought was original, but when I went and checked, Dad was right. In the decade or so since this happened, I have tried to be particularly diligent in never repeating this sin, but have caught myself doing it a couple of times, and I would wager a large sum of money that there've been things I've missed, my best intentions notwithstanding.

Anyway, I apologize again, both for any offense my previous post may have given, and for not addressing this sooner.

I hope there are no ill feelings.

Team Sergeant
03-17-2007, 11:39
While I've no doubt that some of those are, in fact, examples of plagiarism, this sentiment is not an uncommon one. I remember shortly after coming to this forum exchanging PMs with NDD about a version I'd seen on a t-shirt sev'l years ago that read, to the best of my recollection, "Right now, someone is training to kill you and take what's yours. Still wanna quit?"

Find it or shut up.

I've done a search and found nothing even close to what you are posting. Unlike some of the other internet "tactical childrens" tabloids-bulletin boards, we will not deal in hearsay, got it?

Find it or shut up. This is not a request.

Team Sergeant

Surgicalcric
05-27-2007, 20:42
Found another version of the "True Believer" quote in a case study on COIN in Afghanistan circa 2004. It was credited to an "Unknown Source, Ft Bragg, NC." Thought the location was quite interesting.

NDD, now you are being quoted in official Army documents and in one covering a favorite topic no less.

Crip

HOLLiS
05-27-2007, 21:06
I would like to say I am a true believe in the American way. I think many here are. Looking back at history we are not alone nor will be alone in the future. We will prevail too. We will prevail for all the right reasons.

Personally the despots have more to fear from us, than we from them. Their time is numbered. The quality of the men and women in our arm forces today is a testament to that fact.

NousDefionsDoc
05-27-2007, 21:28
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/guyanhorn/militarytribute.htm
Attributed to a 1SGT from 10th Mountain

Roguish Lawyer
05-27-2007, 21:46
If imitation is a great form of flattery, what is plagiarism? :)

NousDefionsDoc
05-27-2007, 21:47
If imitation is a great form of flattery, what is plagiarism? :)
Illegal

NousDefionsDoc
05-27-2007, 21:50
Who dares wins Counselor...;)

Roguish Lawyer
05-28-2007, 09:56
Who dares wins Counselor...;)

LOL

Fiercely Loyal
07-26-2007, 05:34
A flick of the wrist with a proper pen and RL can make NDD rich. What do you think of that Chuck Norris?

Kyobanim
07-26-2007, 06:52
A flick of the wrist with a proper pen and RL can make NDD rich. What do you think of that Chuck Norris?

<------- Think of what?

GOLO
08-23-2007, 11:45
I'm just a Grunt (Secfor) Whlie on a mission we stop outer Kandahar city FOB(Mal) .I happend to see this qoute at the eating area. Can miss it b/c its the 1st you see whlie washing your hands. Made think twice before touching that meal....
I guess this is something you guys live by huh..?
enjoyed your training pool though..:D .

Thanks guys

Team Sergeant
08-23-2007, 14:50
I'm just a Grunt (Secfor) Whlie on a mission we stop outer Kandahar city FOB(Mal) .I happend to see this qoute at the eating area. Can miss it b/c its the 1st you see whlie washing your hands. Made think twice before touching that meal....
I guess this is something you guys live by huh..?
enjoyed your training pool though..:D .

Thanks guys

NDD, you're famous! Kilroy ain't got nothing on you......;)

Thanks GOLO.

Team Sergeant

NousDefionsDoc
08-23-2007, 15:16
NDD, you're famous! Kilroy ain't got nothing on you......;)

Thanks GOLO.

Team Sergeant
We Brother, we.

cobra22
08-25-2007, 09:02
I put this quote on a background and hung it up in my bay for motivation. Over
400 soldiers have used it to get themselves through basic training. When they ask who NDD is I tell them a Special Forces Soldier. Alot of my soldiers who volunteered for the 18X program at the end of Infantry OSUT were because of the questions they asked my senior an 18E from 5th. It all started with this saying as the spark. and all the curiosity and awe. I wouldn't say plagerism though as I put quotations around the text and put Nous Defions Doc as the author.

NousDefionsDoc
08-25-2007, 09:10
400 soldiers have used it to get themselves through basic training. When they ask who NDD is I tell them a Special Forces Soldier. Alot of my soldiers who volunteered for the 18X program at the end of Infantry OSUT were because of the questions they asked my senior an 18E from 5th. It all started with this saying as the spark. and all the curiosity and awe. I wouldn't say plagerism though as I put quotations around the text and put Nous Defions Doc as the author.
I wouldn't say plagiarism either. What would be cool is a pic though. Call it royalties. ;)

cobra22
08-25-2007, 09:15
what kind of pic??? Front leaning rest, Duck walking...:lifter
Just let me know I can make it happen. :) Right now I have 400 soldiers that are using this inspirational peice.

cobra22
08-25-2007, 10:39
What would be cool is a pic though. Call it royalties

I tried to get a picture for you, but I don't have a digital and I'm catching hell trying to turn a powerpoint slide into a jpeg. I will figure it out though. Now because it's a challenge to see if I can do it just as much as to show you the pic.

Razor
08-25-2007, 22:53
Cobra, open the PP slide, click 'save as', and in the file type drop down, select 'jpeg' instead of 'Powerpoint Presentation'.

JMI
08-25-2007, 23:05
That is very cool.

cobra22
08-28-2007, 12:09
Ok with a lot of help here you go for NDD

NousDefionsDoc
08-28-2007, 14:50
Ok with a lot of help here you go for NDD
Ok, first for the nice guy thing - thanks very much and I think it's very cool that you are using it.

Now - you need to get Kyo to help you with the background. I am thinking an evil hadji peering out through a spider hole. Or the classic FARC asshole. Or maybe a pic from SFAS with the Sluggos smoked like a cheap cigar...

Dan
08-28-2007, 15:31
I would also change the way you have it signed and use the version we have here (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/) that includes the domain name.

NousDefionsDoc
08-28-2007, 19:02
Are you sure? He's a Drill at BCT...;)

I agree.

RTK
08-28-2007, 19:04
I really think your signature should have "- ME" at the bottom.

NousDefionsDoc
08-28-2007, 19:16
I really think your signature should have "- ME" at the bottom.
"we" Sir, not "Me"

cobra22
08-29-2007, 03:39
I'll change it but will need help as my computer skills are lacking. I'm open to all suggestions, and any help I can get. Power point was just an easy fix to a blank white background. I tried other things. Like cool pics and stuff but couldn't get them to show up with that in the background, transparent look. The pics always over powered the words.

Onuma
09-15-2007, 11:12
http://www.brendangrant.com/BlogImages/MaskedTerrorists/MaskedTerrorist4.jpg

NDD, how does this work for a background? I don't know the original source of the picture; it was on some guy's blog.

BTW - I had heard that quote long before I came to PS.com. It is not surprising that it derives from SF soldiers. Thumbs up.

Plutarch
09-17-2007, 12:37
I saw an altered version posted on AR15.com today. It had the following quote beneath it -

"As quoted from the NCOIC of the U.S. Army's "Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course" in a welcome speech to new SF candidates."

Someone had already posted informing them that the quote had originated on PS.com by NDD.

Team Sergeant
09-17-2007, 12:41
I saw an altered version posted on AR15.com today. It had the following quote beneath it -

"As quoted from the NCOIC of the U.S. Army's "Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course" in a welcome speech to new SF candidates."

Someone had already posted informing them that the quote had originated on PS.com by NDD.

You will not see those that own ar15.com using it without permission. (Like eric prince did in his blackwater magazine and I/we made him remove it! :D)

Team Sergeant
09-17-2007, 12:42
http://www.brendangrant.com/BlogImages/MaskedTerrorists/MaskedTerrorist4.jpg

NDD, how does this work for a background? I don't know the original source of the picture; it was on some guy's blog.

BTW - I had heard that quote long before I came to PS.com. It is not surprising that it derives from SF soldiers. Thumbs up.

If we did not take the picture, we don't own the rights to the picture. You do the math.

Team Sergeant

Onuma
09-23-2007, 12:22
Roger that, Team Sergeant. If I were still in the sandbox I might be able to get a new photo. Now, the closest I could get is someone playing haji dressup.

Onuma
09-26-2007, 16:06
I'm thinking outside the box now.

Would a hand- or computer-drawn image be acceptable? Obviously not from an outside source, but if I created one myself for use by PS.com? I'm out of practice with drawing and artwork. This would give me the opportunity and motivation to do something with talent that I once kept honed.

Dan
09-26-2007, 17:22
I imagine Kyo may already have something you could use if you go that route.

Onuma
09-26-2007, 17:56
Duly noted, sir.

If anyone else has some of their own images or artwork that might fit the mold here, and/or would be willing to lend a hand, feel free to send me a PM or post a link in here, etc.

I think the image that complements the quote would work well as something identifiable, but not definite. A little bit of ambiguity in the right portions, along with an AK or RPG silhouette, could highlight the meaning of it. It may take a few attempts to get right, but I've got a decent imagination and some time to kill, mostly while at "work".

Please bounce some ideas off me, if interested.

GOLO
10-21-2007, 11:49
Just hung this in the Eating Area..
Thanks.. Its going to a fun week

JMI
10-21-2007, 16:46
NDD, you should have that copyrighted and TM. Soon we're going to see hats and t-shirts.

NousDefionsDoc
10-21-2007, 22:06
It is copyrighted - to this site.

takeumnow
12-08-2007, 09:44
This is now being read at the 30th AG at Fort Benning by one of the Drill Sargeants, except with some added F-bombs for effect.

Team Sergeant
12-08-2007, 09:59
Someone is about to have their ass handed to them.

Professionalsoldiers.com will be taking legal action concerning this violation of Intellectual Property Rights Infringement.

patriotfront.net

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/moredetails.aspx?productNo=133477621&pr=F&showbleed=false&colorNo=23&tab=1

Team Sergeant

Kyobanim
12-08-2007, 12:34
Damn TS! Winning that would pay for a lot of bandwidth.

Get em!

Team Sergeant
12-08-2007, 13:06
The owner has removed the sweatshirt.

I just wish people would quote the source.

Whom ever posted it at SFAS should have posted NousDefionsDoc or ProfessionalSoldiers.com as the author.

NousDefionsDoc
12-08-2007, 15:51
LOL I just got informed that the avatar that kyo made for me is in use on another site.

Team Sergeant
12-08-2007, 15:59
LOL I just got informed that the avatar that kyo made for me is in use on another site.

If someone is just using it, say a third party, and not the website owners there's not much we can do.....

rubberneck
12-14-2007, 13:30
Checkout slide number 18/51 here:

http://www.slideshare.net/jacko91/these-are-my-credentials/

Team Sergeant
12-14-2007, 15:55
Checkout slide number 18/51 here:

http://www.slideshare.net/jacko91/these-are-my-credentials/

We've already seen this slide show, a few weeks ago. We are well aware of the quotes. Not everyone that uses it knows where it came from, all we can do nis spread the word. The officer is not making money from this (as far as I know) so it's no harm no foul.

Kyobanim
12-14-2007, 16:14
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc

If someone is just using it, say a third party, and not the website owners there's not much we can do.....

I can

Where'd you see it?

I don't mind people using things, just ask.

NoRoadtrippin
05-30-2008, 19:49
Hey NDD and others,

I've been meaning to add to this for awhile just to let you know how ubiquitous the quote has gotten. I'm currently at the Infantry Officer Basic Course down at Benning and its all over the place.

First, I saw it posted on the wall in the "LT's Transition Office." This is bascially who we belong to whenever we are between courses or waiting to PCS from Benning or whatever the case may be. There is a QP that works in the office. Its possible that instance came from him.

Yesterday, during our MI intro brief the MAJ talking to us used it at the end of his presentation--he wore an SF combat patch, maybe that's where he picked it up.

Then, it came right back up today on the front end of a presentation on Guerrilla Warfare and Counter Insurgency given by a civilian that works at the Infantry museum. His was the only one that attributed the quote to anyone. It said "as stated by a SFQC instructor," or something to that effect.

I just thought I'd let you know where I had seen it lately. Honestly, I kinda like seeing it each time. Its rather cool knowing I at least know the online moniker of its creator. Plus its just damn motivating. Maybe I'll get it tattooed on my forearm before Ranger school....:lifter

Dragbag036
05-31-2008, 06:16
I was wondering would NDD and the site mind if I used the quote for SFSC? It is the best words that would make some of our students stop their whining. It would be done in great taste and credit given to NDD and PS.com.

Team Sergeant
05-31-2008, 07:56
I was wondering would NDD and the site mind if I used the quote for SFSC? It is the best words that would make some of our students stop their whining. It would be done in great taste and credit given to NDD and PS.com.

You have full permission to use the quote as you wish, just quote the source and you're good to go.;)

TS

longrange1947
05-31-2008, 10:05
NDD - Do you mind if we use your actual name?

Dragbag is right we need to get the whine out of the course with some of the younger ones, but that includes a few of the older as well.

Dragbag036
05-31-2008, 14:09
Thanx T.S. and NDD,
I will send you a pic of the finished product. I'm sure LongRange will make sure its to standard.

NousDefionsDoc
05-31-2008, 18:23
NDD - Do you mind if we use your actual name?

Dragbag is right we need to get the whine out of the course with some of the younger ones, but that includes a few of the older as well.

I would rather you didn't, the missus doesn't like the groupies I already have.

How about "A Professional Soldier"?

longrange1947
05-31-2008, 21:40
Not a problem NDD.

You always were the shy one. :D

JCasp
06-01-2008, 11:30
I didn't know that quote originated here. It used to hang on every door and office in our company area when I was in B co 1-325th. I didn't start seeing it until after we moved into the "new" barracks on the longstreet side of Ardennes that 504th vacated when they deployed in early '05.

Surgicalcric
03-24-2009, 22:46
It appears someone has sent it to Rob at militaryathlete.com.

I sent the owner an email telling him who the originator of the "True Believer" quote is, that its copyrighted, and that he either needs to credit NDD for it or take it down off his server.

He has responded to other emails I have sent so I have no doubt that I will be hearing from him soon on this topic...

NDD: You are just becoming more famous by the day...

Crip

booker
03-25-2009, 07:04
I contacted Rob this morning, he put the emails on the front page. He didn't know anything who it should be attributed to, he said it was someone from a spec ops unit in Astan that sent it to him. (I didn't know that Crip had already contacted him).

Here is the front page: http://www.militaryathlete.com/index.php

PR31C
04-20-2009, 12:24
The "True Believer" is posted here (http://www.specialforces.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1297) again with no credit to NDD or PS.COM

Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit? :D

I am suprised the site admin commented on it, but did not correct it.

I will let a QP correct/contact them, now back to my lane.

The Reaper
04-20-2009, 12:41
The "True Believer" is posted here (http://www.specialforces.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1297) again with no credit to NDD or PS.COM

I am suprised the site admin commented on it, but did not correct it.

I will let a QP correct/contact them, now back to my lane.

Given the site admin and the poster's apparent lack of knowledge, this does not surprise me.

I love it when people provide career advice for special units they have never been in.

TR

TommyGun
04-20-2009, 17:39
I admit, I added to one of my emails systems (AKO I think?) but I did it with good intentions, and that was to remind all of the knuckle draggers that we are still a country at war, and we are at war with a Formidable enemy that hates us through his own ignorance but is motivated with a backwards religion that keeps on perpeteuating itself like a self licking ice cream

I said all that to actually say damn fine quote, I wish I was that creative...

TG:cool:

Decoy-Mantis
05-02-2009, 07:21
I first saw this quote hanging in the "Snake Pit", the instructors admin area, at Army Sniper School. It's nice to know the originator.

AndyBear
05-02-2009, 16:48
I love the quote. I saw it on a handout that I recieved about UW a while back and it did not have the actual name of the originator, but it did give it credit to "A Special Forces Medic". So we do think about you NDD ;)

Secondly, do we know who this guy is who posted that quote? Is he really an "UW medic"?

4usa
02-02-2010, 21:52
I entered NDD's "True Believer" quote into Yahoo and came up with quite a few sites that quoted it.
Here are a few that do lack the proper recognition:

http://jstud.com/i_dominate/2009/04/24/think-about-it-2/
and
http://www.youtube.com/user/sonny134679
and
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=20196

MeC86
02-26-2010, 13:54
This website has a T-Shirt for sale with the quote. No reference.

Site:

https://www.sheepdogsinc.com/index.html

T-shirt Gallery:

https://www.imacart.com/view_item.php?shpid=23ec24c5ca59000543cee1dfded0cb ea&id=25

Close up of T-Shirt.

https://www.imacart.com/index.php?shpid=23ec24c5ca59000543cee1dfded0cbea

greenberetTFS
02-26-2010, 14:11
I would rather you didn't, the missus doesn't like the groupies I already have.

How about "A Professional Soldier"?

NDD,

You should go after them and get a cut of their action....... You do have it copyrighted don't you? Maybe some of our legals on board can help you!

Big Teddy :munchin

Sierra Bravo
02-26-2010, 16:36
yes maybe you and the "Pants on the ground "guy can get a two for one

Surgicalcric
02-26-2010, 19:17
yes maybe you and the "Pants on the ground "guy can get a two for one

What?? Maybe its me but what are you talking about?

Crip

ZonieDiver
02-26-2010, 19:35
What?? Maybe its me but what are you talking about?

Crip

I kind of assumed he meant that the t-shirt company had ripped off the "Pants on the Ground" guy, too - but you are right...it wasn't clear.

AztecSN95
12-19-2013, 20:34
Hate to bring a thread back from the dead, but the latest I saw this was on a "SEAL of Honor" page dedicated to LT Michael Murphy. No credit given to NDD, and it appears with a picture of the boys at Coronado doing Rock Ops. Makes it look a whole lot like "they" are claiming it as their own. Sad.

Divemaster
01-13-2014, 01:34
With attribution: This shirt is made with the permission of NousDefionsDoc from www.professionalsoldiers.com.

Here's a link to the t-shirt: http://www.rangerup.com/greentrue.html

x SF med
01-13-2014, 14:52
With attribution: This shirt is made with the permission of NousDefionsDoc from www.professionalsoldiers.com.

Discontinued per the site.

Team Sergeant
01-13-2014, 15:15

I gave them the go ahead after they realized Professionalsoldiers.com owned the copyrights and made contact with me. They donated a chunk of change to the GBF and put Professionalsoldiers.com below the quote. The on thing they got wrong is I gave them permission to use it cause NousDefionsDoc has not been around for a few years.