PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Scam

Snaquebite
02-04-2007, 14:21
Got this today from over at socnet.

From the Office of the Director of Public Relations
Post Office Box 2351, Indianapolis, IN 46206-2351

ATTENTION ---EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

Notify your members that there is a FAKE so-called Veterans Organization operating out of Beech Grove, Indiana that has a primary goal of soliciting money through telephone calls with the spiel they’re giving telephone cards to our military men and women.

This outfit calls itself INDIANA VETERANS RELIEF FUND
They are using a storefront address at 157 Bethel –
Suite B, Beech Grove, IN 46107. Telephone (317) 783-1974.

Indiana Veterans Relief Fund is operating under a blanket organization called Common Ground Charities, Inc. A Michael Q. Risley, Jr. is listed as Director of Fund Raising and a Tanya Risley is shown to be the Office Manager.

I visited the location and talked with Ms. Risley. The rented office space is essentially a telephone “Boiler Room.” I viewed about a half-dozen people sitting at small work areas facing three walls wearing headphones and mikes making telephone calls. The front office room and rear telephone room are unkempt and dirty with no trappings of a veterans’ organization. No Flags, no wall pictures, no sign of any patriotism. I confronted Ms. Risley with some pointed questions. “How many telephone calling cards have been issued to American troops?” (She said they gave some to departing troops at Camp Atterbury but couldn’t tell me when or how many.) “How much money has been solicited since this operating began last year?” (She told me the figures have not been compiled and are not available.)

Ms. Risley informed me they are legal. I told her there is a difference of being legal on paper and morally correct in practice! (I am convinced this outfit is only interested in lining their own pockets with cash from proud Americans whom think they’re helping our military and our men and woman in uniform.)

The Indiana Consumer Protection section of the Attorney Generals Office appears to be not interested in this situation after talking with them at length. IF WE CAN’T SHUT THIS OUTFIT DOWN WE CAN AT LEAST GET THE WORD OUT:

VETERANS’ & CONSUMER’S BEWARE!

Donald F. Myers, USMC Retired
Department of Indiana, Marine Corps League
Director of Public Relations

Contact point Indianapolis Marine Corps League Office:
(317) 546 7228 (or write Marine Corps League, POB 2351, Indianapolis, IN 46206-2351 (Attn: Director of PR D. F. Myers)

CDRODA396
02-04-2007, 17:57
Snaquebite, Thanks for posting this...this is an example of the very worst of our nation, those that would prey on the desire of our citizens to support the soldier.

Gypsy
02-04-2007, 21:22
Thanks Snaquebite, I'll pass the word.

82ndtrooper
02-05-2007, 03:21
A "Covered Operative" should be sent to work the phones, collect video, tape record phone calls, photo copy records, and provide background checks on the employees, directors, and any investors or funding agents.

Possibly a college aged individual with the proper Patriotic attitude.

Then push his or her finding onto the mainstream media.

With any luck, maybe Hillary, Barack, or other libs will have ties to the organization or it's subordinate organizations in the pipeline. Just a thought :cool: