PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Medical Equipment

NousDefionsDoc
02-03-2007, 07:22
ABN_FO asked to show you guys these.
Here in Iraq, I have recently come upon approximately 10 battle dressings, "carlisle model", manufactured 1943 by the handy pad supply company. I have googled it and saw pictures of the exact same type I have found. Mine are in "mint" condition, with a few exceptions.

The others are in just as good shape, missing only the cellophane wrapper. On the ones missing the wrapper, the date of manufacture 1943 is clear.

Snaquebite
02-03-2007, 08:47
Interesting. Seeing that makes me want to go out and look through some footlockers. I know I've got some pretty old medical kits somewhere.

The Reaper
02-03-2007, 09:27
Probably part of the million or two we needed to have on hand when we were planning to invade Japan.

Since then, all of our casualties together have not equaled what we would have lost in that one campaign.

Kind of like Iraq, with ten times the population.

Believe it. Nukes worked, and saved lives on both sides.

TR

Snaquebite
02-03-2007, 09:35
I do have three (two still sealed in plastic) wool hospital blankets; cream/off-white colored with maroon stripes dated 1952 on the blanket. One of my company medics found them in a warehouse at Bragg in 92. I grabbed a a few real quick since I was born in 1952.

Richard
02-03-2007, 12:47
Interesting. Seeing that makes me want to go out and look through some footlockers. I know I've got some pretty old medical kits somewhere.

Me, too. I still carry my old field surgical kit with me when camping.

Richard

ABN_FO
02-04-2007, 08:11
Thank you Doc for helping me out with the picture. I just got back from a quick trip. My connection here in Iraq is way to slow to upload pictures to the site, but will go through email. I thought they were pretty neat and can only think that they were surplus as TR said and now being issued to the Iraqi Army. We gave them more current dressings and kept the "Carlisle" bandages. Thanks again Doc!