PDA

View Full Version : Supplements

Shans84
02-03-2007, 00:35
I go to the gym religiously and I was wondering are there any supplements I should be staying away from ?

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-03-2007, 06:13
All of them. Eat a balanced diet, stay hydrated, and follow a good routine.

Sacamuelas
02-03-2007, 07:31
Shans84-
There are a few threads that discuss supplements and use of such aids by aspiring SF Soldiers on this site. Use your search button and spend a little time. Good Luck

Defender968
02-03-2007, 15:06
I go to the gym religiously and I was wondering are there any supplements I should be staying away from ?

I'm by no means a doctor, and there are plenty of folks who are more qualified to answer specific questions, but what I’ll tell you is I've had 7 different troops have to go to the hospital for supplement related issues in the past 6 months of my current deployment alone. You should definitely check with a health care professional before taking anything. I agree with Col Moroney that you can get the same results from a well balanced diet, talk to a dietitian/nutritionist, they can help you achieve a properly balanced diet that will help your training regiment. Something as simple as protein can have serious negative side effects. For example, I had a troop who was working out very hard and taking protein, not crazy amounts just as recommended by the product directions. He went to the doc after nearly passing out, it turned out his body couldn't handle all the protein and it was causing kidney problems. They made him stop taking it entirely, had he not stopped the docs said he could have done serious irreparable damage to his kidneys. I’ve had 6 others who have had various problems with various supplements two of which could have had serious and long lasting negative side effects, to me your overall health is not worth the risks, especially when you can get the same results with the proper diet, but that’s just my .02

The Reaper
02-03-2007, 15:26
Creatine and other supplement users are not allowed to attend SFAS.

You want to get stronger and faster, work out more and eat sensibly. Push yourself to your limits, and beyond.

You want to be Mr. Universe, don't try to do it as a soldier.

TR

Kyobanim
02-03-2007, 16:55
Eat more broccoli

x SF med
02-05-2007, 07:42
Train with what you will have in the field - there are documented cases of supplement crash in soldiers deploying. Supplement crash is when you train using supplements, get deployed, and then are denied the supplements - the body being used to the supps then becomes overworked and you become ineffective for a period of time as your body switches gears.

When I went through the Q course we were not even allowed vitamins. when I was on a Team, supplements were 'verboten' by the Team Daddy, and we had two guys reassigned for using them (in the 80's supps were not as big a thing as now, but still dangerous).

Train smart, train hard, hydrate, use your mind not drugs to make you a fitter soldier. Just my FOG 18D .02 - take it or leave it as you see fit.

AF IDMT
02-05-2007, 08:00
Security Forces Troop (aka Zoomie Cop): Hey doc, what supplements should I take?

I reached into my desk drawer and pulled out an MRE and tossed it to him.

:lifter

Scimitar
02-05-2007, 11:13
Wow. The stuff I learn from this site.........

I have relied heavily on B vitamin, Omega 3, and Tyrosine for high pressure contracts and I take the standard multi. I swear by these and really feel it when I don't take them for a contract.

I am also taking calcium supplements to help increase bone density while I Ruck train, to better avoid the 'cast' side of 'cast or tab'.

We have been told we can probably use them during BCT; unless our DS is having a bad day when we ask him about it.

I was also given the advice to take some mild protein and amino acids just to up the results of the hard working out a little bit.

Is the advice to dump all Supplements all together or are you suggesting some good some bad, do the research? Know what your putting in?

Interesting on the Supplement crashing; surely that is only for very heavy users?

x SF med
02-05-2007, 11:31
Scimitar-
Only use what you will be able to get in a denied area.
Does that answer your question?
You will have no access to Supps during SFAS, SUT, SERE, RS - hmmmm, what do you think, are those high stress contracts - they sure are - get used to going natural during stressful times, your Teammates will appreciate it.

And yes, supp crash will happen even, for the 'light user' - sorry - you said it yourself - and really feel it when I don't take them for a contract.

Scimitar
02-05-2007, 11:41
Hell!....Great advice XSFMed.

My greatest concern is with all the prep'ing I'm doing that something stupid will stop me from graduating.

Vitmain crashing has got to be near the top of the list of 'heart breaking ways to fail SFAS'.

Thanks again

incommin
02-05-2007, 11:41
Only take supplements if your physician says you need them, and that should be based on the results from a physical...... a balanced diet should supply normal needs.

Jim

Shans84
02-05-2007, 12:52
I stop taking my supplements after reading some of the replies and when I woke up the next morning I felt like someone hit me with a truck. I am just now getting over the nausea, and sluggish feeling. SO I will start training without them tomorrow and start using some of the bodyweight training I read about as well.
Thnx for the advice and hopefully I will be able to learn alot more from the large wealth of knowledge you guyz have.

x SF med
02-05-2007, 14:44
Are you admitting that we might actually know what we are talking about? Wow, imagine that, really cool, isn't it?

JMI
02-05-2007, 18:41
Taking a protein supplement will sap your hydration because you kidneys will use excess water to digest it through. I was taking about a gram per pound of protein a day divided up by about six or so shakes and I do think the extra glutamine in it (this supplement had glutamine) helped give me more energy, but I really had to drink a LOT of water.

Protein is necessary to build muscle, but as a soldier you would probably want to increase muscular strength and endurance, not muscle size per se, and to increase muscle strength and endurance does not require supplements.

Avoid creatine as it severely saps your hydration, and what it mainly is famous for is stuffing extra water into your muscles to make you look larger (hence why you need to drink so much water). They say there is more to it, that it does give additional energy, but it really requires you to drink a lot of water. Also, I've heard of some guys getting problems where their bodies stop generating the natural creatine of the body because of the artifical supplement creatine they take (though I think this takes years to occur), but if it does, creatine becomes a drug to you.

Vitamin supplements like fish oil capsules I think would be fine, as fish oil is very beneficial, or a decent multivitamin supplement but otherwise avoid supplements.

I don't know if fish oil capsules and/or multivitamin supplements qualify as the type of supplement that would disqualify you for SFAS though, so check up on that just in case.

Most importantly, just eat good and work hard in the gym and you will see results! :lifter
Good info. Thanks.