PDA

View Full Version : College administrators block airing of documentary

dennisw
02-02-2007, 20:06
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01092007/news/regionalnews/paces_docu_drama_regionalnews_david_andreatta.htm/

According to the article in the Washington Post college administrators at Pace University threaten Jewish students if they aired the doucumentary Obsession on campus. This threat is in direct response to a series of "hate crime" comitted on campus. Administrators said airing the film would implicate members of the two hate crimes currently being investigated by the police. The hate crimes consist of someone putting copies of the Koran in school toilets and scibbling swastikas on the bathroom walls.

I think it's a little bizzare behaviour on behalf of the school officials. More then that, since when is putting a copy of the Koran in a toilet a hate crime? Does the Koran have some special status over and above other religious books so that the very act of mistreating it becomes a crime? I don't get that.

This is still America isn't it?

The Reaper
02-02-2007, 20:27
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01092007/news/regionalnews/paces_docu_drama_regionalnews_david_andreatta.htm/

According to the article in the Washington Post college administrators at Pace University threaten Jewish students if they aired the doucumentary Obsession on campus. This threat is in direct response to a series of "hate crime" comitted on campus. Administrators said airing the film would implicate members of the two hate crimes currently being investigated by the police. The hate crimes consist of someone putting copies of the Koran in school toilets and scibbling swastikas on the bathroom walls.

I think it's a little bizzare behaviour on behalf of the school officials. More then that, since when is putting a copy of the Koran in a toilet a hate crime? Does the Koran have some special status over and above other religious books so that the very act of mistreating it becomes a crime? I don't get that.

Will they also call it a hate crime if someone puts a crucifix into a jar of urine?

TR

sg1987
02-02-2007, 20:28
Will they also call it a hate crime if someone puts a crucifix into a jar of urine?

TR

That is art of course!

82ndtrooper
02-02-2007, 20:31

College and University adminstrators will alway's error on the side of caution with regard to racial matters on campus. Good politics ? Depends on whos reading and or interested. Campus minority groups will alway's force the administrators to soft shoe their way through any racially motivated act. Placing the Koran in the toilet should be an expression of free speech protected under the 1st amendment, but we dont live the same country as our grand fathers when flag burning earned you a right to a clubbing and left on the side of the road in the middle of winter. Now somebody's feelings get hurt, they whine and cry, cry some more and then it's classified as a "Hate Crime"

Point being that if the King James version of the Holy Bible were put into the toilet on a University Campus it would be simply another book that someone destroyed. The act would not qualify as worthy of "Hate Crime" and or a police investigation. In fact, if the Holy Bible were placed into toilets, I'd bet that some court would find it to be as noted above...................protected under the 1st amendment as freedom of expression and speech.

The Reaper
02-02-2007, 20:46
That is art of course!

Then I fail to see the distinction.

Would the Koran or an image of Mohammed in a jar of urine be protected by the 1st Amendment as art, or a violation of the 1st as hate speech?

Why is it only WASPs can be evil racists?

TR

sg1987
02-02-2007, 22:38
I’m with you sir. I’ve read of the concept of liberal racism and I wonder if this mindset is somehow related.

Does the liberal elitist mindset believe that any minority (race, religion, etc) is entitled to protection that the majority is not? (even to the point that they can no longer look honestly at issues)
It would seem so to me.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.com/guideDesc.asp?catid=162&type=issue