PDA

View Full Version : I need an opinion from someone wiser than me

Dante
01-31-2007, 20:43
I'm only half way through high school and I have not really done much to prove myself yet. I always work in the summers but then again who hasn't? For my freshman year I did home school and I was thinking about doing it again for the rest of my high school "career" so that I could work the next two years and do something meaningful instead of just getting up in the morning and going to school.

Also, from what I've heard (but I don't really know much about this) most people that join SF are usually in their early/mid twenties and/or already have some time in the Army under their belt. Is it even feasible to join SF out of high school or is it better to get some time in as a regular soldier before enlisting for 18X?

Thanks

Snaquebite
01-31-2007, 20:54
Dante,

First I will say you need to look around the forums some more. You've been on this board for only a few days and I would suggest that you do some reading. Start with the Pipeline. Many of your questions will be answered. The ones that aren't come back and post them. Be specific in your questions, don't post in generalities. Make sure you READ all the stickies...

There is no set answer to your question...

Dante
01-31-2007, 20:57
SnaqueBite, I've been reading around these boards for a few weeks now and I also used the search function for this question but I couldn't find what I was looking for. These are a couple of the ones I can't seem to get an answer on from just reading, but I will try reading around for other questions more before hand. Thank you for your reply.

The Reaper
01-31-2007, 20:59
Dante:

This seems to be the day for these high school questions.

Rather than us taking time from our busy schedules to tell you the same thing we told the last 50 people to ask the same question, how about you suppress your desire to get a personal reply from us right now and do some reading to ensure that your questions are not already answered elsewhere here. Here is a hint. They have. Read all of the posts below this on the SF Questions page. You will see that this horse has been flogged to death.

When you are ready, ask a recruiter what your options are before inquiring here again. As stated in the stickies, it is his job to help get you into the Army.

I think that your high school decision is a personal one that would require far more info than we have available here. On the surface, I would say that you are having the same idea that most HS kids have about the value of their education, and that you should stick it out and attend the regular high school program, participating in all of the AP courses and sports that you can.

Good luck.

TR

Dante
01-31-2007, 22:04
Advice heeded.

JPH
02-01-2007, 18:24
Moderators: I will gladly delete this post if you feel I have stepped out of bounce on this one. After reading the above post I found myself reminiscing and felt I could be of some help.

Respectfully,
JPH

Dante,
I would like to take the time to open up a line of communication with you. First off I am not a QP and I am not enlisted with any part of the military at this time… I am however preparing for SF and hope to be an 18E, if the needs of the army will allow me.

With that out of the way, you sound as squared away as any one your age if not more. You where polite and professional in my opinion when you posted, for that I thank you even though this is not my home.

I feel, based on your writing that you are most likely a lot like me when I was in high school. Therefore I would like to see if I can provide some guidance. The following are only my personal opinions, and I do not know your situation therefore I can not provide a check list. However I think you will find that there is a guiding theme in the following outline of ideas, that is that it is up to you to broaden you horizons and expand your knowledge base and become a productive citizen.

“I was thinking of doing it again (home school) for the rest of my high school career” -- IMO a lot can be learned from “having to deal” with peoples BS. In a public school no mater how small you will have to deal with those whose ideas are different than your own. This can be a real pain in the a**, I know. My experience in a public high school involved lost liberal teachers who for the most part had given up on the students. I was surrounded by those who didn’t care or wouldn’t work for anything. There where drugs, fights, mindless BS of all types. However I learned to stay strong in my beliefs. A few times I had my eyes opened to things I had wrong and I also gained a greater understand of why the world works as it dose. Again just my .02
If you want to make more of your education look into advanced education opportunities within your school. My school had a program called A+ which was a state funded program that let juniors and seniors take afternoon classes at the local community college. I took classes in electronics as this was my passion, however classes in auto mechanics, welding, communications, computers, and so on were offered. This is only one way to further educate yourself. If they don’t offer it, save some of that summer work money and enroll in a night class your self. As you grow older you will find that one think that really makes a man is what is between the ears and how well he can use it. Additionally if you are looking to go SF, these men are thinkers, not mindless bodies rooming the theater waiting for the next set of orders. This forum alone is a great example of this as we have doctors, lawyers, RNs, EMTs, SF enlisted and officer alike, so on and so forth…

Second you talked about enlisting first and then going 18x. It is my understanding that 18x is a no prior service option… i.e. if you are prior service you have to take other routes… do you own home work here, I have not looked in to every option because I know what I am going for and I have no prior service to worry about.

Ok now that I have touched the two main topics that you mentioned in your post I would like to take a bit of time to out line some other options you may have not thought of.

Don’t create a box that you can’t see out of, don’t rush the most important decision you will ever make. I have had to sit through 5 years of liberal a**ed college getting a degree that I will never directly use. Note the word directly, as I have learned a lot I would have never learned anywhere else while I was in school. I have wanted to drop out nearly every day for the past two years just due to the BS level on campus, however I found the strength to not quite no mater how depressing it got. Additionally I learned a lot about myself, how to motivate myself from within, how to study topics outside of my normal course work, and how to develop resource networks locally to make myself a more well rounded person. If you don’t see the value in these items then I suggest you get back to high school, don’t quite, and re-read this at the end of every year until you do. If you do understand the value then keep reading…

I suggest that you create your own list of qualities and skills you wish to develop. Then set your mind to developing them. I was a Boy Scout I learned a lot from that and I still remain active as an assistant scout master. I learned the basics of orienteering, first aid, cooking, communications, shooting, survival, government, leadership and much more. The quality of this information is highly depended on the quality of the men leading your troop but I was lucky and had quality leaders. I enrolled in the classes and became and EMT-B, that's an emergency medical technician, the guys in the ambulance, you mess up we pick up… and other renditions of the saying.

I am working on my amateur radio license or HAM ticket as it is also know as. I am reading books on antenna theory and have been pursuing a job with a local business that deals with two way communications so I will have a network of experts to ask questions of. I read history, I watch the news and then research what is said. I volunteer with locale SAR teams, emergency groups, and the sheriff department of the next county over. I work on map reading and compass work as much as I can. I am blessed to have a firearms instructor locally that is the real deal, in that he teaches real combative techniques, I DO NOT think you should place this high on the priority list as if you don’t learn it right the first time you will spend the rest of your life trying to get it right. Old habits are hard to kill…. However this is a HSLD example of finding an subject matter expert and asking respectfully for guidance. Most professionals are willing to “bring the next generation up” into their trade, use this, one day you will have to give back….
I have traveled to Europe and Latin America I have studied an additional language. I have chosen to take my elective hours in political science, history, communications, and media instead of art, pottery, or computer animation.
I took it upon myself to learn some computer languages, I am not an expert but I now have a base knowledge and understand where to get the information and what questions to ask if I ever need to work with this…

I work out everyday, and in high school I ran cross country. I eat as best I can and take care of my body as to prolong my life, increase the quality of it, and not be a burden to the world.

I could go on for hours and not list everything; this is because it is not some written plan for me it is a lifestyle of personal development. I get up every day and ask myself what am I going to do to make myself a better person, citizen, warrior, etc. Every time I see a problem in the world I don’t just bitch, I ask myself how can I be the change I want to see, how can I lead by example. I try to surround myself with people I can learn from…

Read everything you can here on this forum, and feel free to ask question to me if you don’t feel they belong in the forum. If I don’t have the answer then I will try and find it, as this will further educate me… I wouldn’t rule college out completely, at lest not until your last year. University life isn’t for everyone. If it isn’t for you, don’t just rule out all secondary education, look into a quick two year trade school, learn as skill or skills. If you just want to be in the army they will teach you a lot, if you want to contribute to the army bring yourself to their doorstep armed with knowledge and a wiliness to learn and they will add to it.

Lastly you are young, stay on the 10 and 25 meter targets for now and don’t sweat the small stuff to much.

JPH

NousDefionsDoc
02-01-2007, 20:51
Geezus man! Go to HS. Date the cheerleader and the prom queen and their worst rivals. Play in a crap garage band. Play football. Go to the beach. TP the principal's house. Get laid in the graveyard. Cut your hair in a Mohawk and steal the other team's mascot.

The war will still be going on when you get growed. If it ain't, we'll start another one for you.

Everybody always in a hurry to kill somebody or die.

NousDefionsDoc
02-01-2007, 20:52
Oh, and get off the damn internet. There's a lot of cool stuff in the real world.

Ambush Master
02-01-2007, 20:59
Geezus man! Go to HS. Date the cheerleader and the prom queen and their worst rivals. Play in a crap garage band. Play football. Go to the beach. TP the principal's house. Get laid in the graveyard. Cut your hair in a Mohawk and steal the other team's mascot.

The war will still be going on when you get growed. If it ain't, we'll start another one for you.

SHIT!!!!

NDD,

Who the HELL have you been talking to about ME?!?!?!:munchin

The Reaper
02-01-2007, 21:27
SHIT!!!!

NDD,

Aren't you a little old and a little married to be dating cheerleaders and prom queens, playing in garage bands, TPing the principal's house, getting laid in the graveyard, or cutting your hair in a Mohawk, hermano?

TR

Snaquebite
02-01-2007, 21:34
if you feel I have stepped out of bounce

JP, Is that like double dribbling?:)

and you didn't mention nothin bout no basketball....:D

82ndtrooper
02-02-2007, 08:10

What ? I did all that with the 82nd Airborne. Except the TP thingy at the priniciples house :lifter

Though we did paint some rather large genitals on the big white horse statue at CFB Petawawa, Canada after our jump wing exhange was official. :munchin

Kyobanim
02-02-2007, 09:43
SHIT!!!!

NDD,

I thought he got a copy of my high school yearbook.

Dante,

Like NDD said, this war will be around for a long time. Youth only comes once, relish in it.

Though we did paint some rather large genitals on the big white horse statue at CFB Petawawa, Canada after our jump wing exhange was official.

PICTURES!

zuluzerosix
02-02-2007, 11:18
[QUOTE=NousDefionsDoc]The war will still be going on when you get growed. If it ain't, we'll start another one for you.
QUOTE]

:) :) :)

That was good.

Dante
02-02-2007, 19:58
I'm not in any hurry to kill/be killed but you guys have a point.

*edit* And I've done plenty of stuff like that already, but I don't know about the getting laid in a graveyard part.

lksteve
02-02-2007, 21:39
Aren't you a little old and a little married to be dating cheerleaders and prom queens, playing in garage bands, TPing the principal's house, getting laid in the graveyard, or cutting your hair in a Mohawk, hermano?there is that whole second childhood possibility...besides, one should never outgrow their roots...:D

Ambush Master
02-02-2007, 21:48
Aren't you a little old and a little married to be dating cheerleaders and prom queens, playing in garage bands, TPing the principal's house, getting laid in the graveyard, or cutting your hair in a Mohawk, hermano?

TR

TR,

I was referring to NDD digging up MY PAST!!!! He had to drag out some Heavy Equipment to come up with this stuff!!:D

Later
Martin

kunf0002
04-13-2007, 14:08

Good Advice.

deanwells
04-17-2007, 16:20
Good Advice.

I agree.

Dante,

It's great that you are looking ahead to the future, but I recommend that you have some fun in the present. Social interaction with your bro's on the team is just as important as being a monster at your job. This way of life brings every personality that exists to this level. Each and every person will have a different button that should not be pushed unless needed.;) You can learn this by getting out, making some friends, and just being social. I've met a few home schooled dudes and they were brilliant but anti-social and generally lacked the ability to fit in. Is that a bad thing? Maybe/Maybe not, but when you are faced with the task of building rapport with foreign troops to include some very important ones, you need to be able to be social and speak in terms that they can relate to, so you can accomplish your task and actually persuade them to listen and value what you have to say.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

DW