PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence support to a SF unit

mconrad
01-28-2007, 17:34
I was wondering what a 96B, Intel Analyst, attached to a Special Forces group can expect. I'm in AIT right now at Ft Huachuca and we had a SGT from 5th group give those who were interested a briefing in holding a 96B position for 5th group, but I wanted to know what kind of experiences you QPs have with it. Thanks.

plato
02-13-2007, 15:38
Expect to read, and read, and then for relaxation, to read. :p

Depending on how your S-2 or MI Det Cdr slices the responsibilities, you could very well be responsible for knowing everything about an area that may have any impact on a deploying team. On the other hand, you could be the "cultural guy" for a larger area, while other 96B's look at other factors..

When/if the experienced troops feel comfortable with you, any S-2 worth his salt will work to send you out with a team, even if it's just on a training mission, or even something *real*, if there's nothing you could muck up. There's nothing like moving over lousy terrain in lousy weather, with your rectum torque-wrench tight, to help you focus on the importance of what you do when you're back behind your desk. I was fortunate enough to have some top notch teams who recognized that even a few days would result in a "support troop" who took their welfare very personally.

I don't know if it's the standard today, but I put my 96B's (and the rest of the MID) through jump school, most through ranger school, and a local version (Okinawa) of what was then taught at Bragg.

Of course, that's what I thought an "average" soldier should have in his brain cells before supporting those who actually had to "go and do".

But, an SF Group is a very small town. Even if you spend the entire time with a small bar where you wish you could wear a flash, you can generally expect to be treated like a valued professional. You simply have to drive for every school/assignment that will help you do a better job, and take your job as seriously as if it were your own life on the line.
You'll be known, one way or the other. The opportunities you have to serve will be based on who you grow to be, and the skills you are recognized to have.

That parts on you.

jatx
02-13-2007, 17:45
You might find it helpful to read FM 34-36, which discusses the organization of an MIDET.

jbour13
02-16-2007, 06:42
I can tell you from personal experience that being an intel guy in an SF Group is beyond satisfying, trivial at times, frustrating when dealing with politics (ISAF and NATO), and downright crazy with the amount of information you are expected to absorb, analize, and regurgitate.

My TF is responsible for a BN of SF soldiers and it's attachments. My TF takes care of a larger community beyond BDE size. My S-2 and the shop I work for is sought out as the "go-to" guys on everything intel in the RC South and West. We pride ourselves in the amount of experience, aptitude and ability we have. My NCOIC (a Master Sergeant, under 13 years TIS) is a prime example of what an MI guy should be. He is to be a recipient of the SO/LIC award later this month, it's not awarded to many support fellas. I've been lucky to work for him and glean as much information and SA as possible. You will have the Firehose permanently attached to your face and it will go full on for 6-8 months while in country. We are 24/7, 7 days a week because it is necessary.

We don't get out much, but we have sent subject matter experts to the Firebases to brief teams and get them spun up. I personally have no problems going outside the wire and would do so willingly to learn more.

If you want a group slot, are squared away and have the maturity, I'll take you in a heartbeat. If you are skeptical, sheepish, and a knucklehead, I recommend starting off somewhere a little less stressful. I started my career supporting the Infantry, and wouldn't trade any of it. If you can't get a group slot, go to an infantry BN. Jumping, carrying heavy shit and being humbled is a great way to learn.

Send me a PM of your class dates for Basic and AIT and I'll try to pay a visit as a guest instructor at the MI basic course. I may just find a way to steal you. :D

Focus on Basic Training for now, the rest will fall in place.

V/R
SSG B

mconrad
02-16-2007, 12:36
Thanks for the input. Jbour, I am already assigned to 1st SF group. Just need orders in hand. I am getting ready to go to the FTX for 96Bs mid-March and I'll be waiting for orders to go to Airborne school after that.

Radar Rider
02-16-2007, 15:21
Thanks for the input. Jbour, I am already assigned to 1st SF group. Just need orders in hand. I am getting ready to go to the FTX for 96Bs mid-March and I'll be waiting for orders to go to Airborne school after that.
1st Group is a great place to go. It was my first SF assignment in 1994 (I'm a SIGINTer). You WILL be busy, so be prepared to hit the ground running.

Go For Broke
02-16-2007, 15:50
1st Group is a great place to go. It was my first SF assignment in 1994 (I'm a SIGINTer). You WILL be busy, so be prepared to hit the ground running.

And reading :D ...

My humble advice / $0.02 - find out what the teams need. When I was on Bn staff, I worked with our S2 MI weenies...great learning experience for both. I learned what they were taught at the school house (MIOBC and AIT), and they learned what ODAs look for. Bottom line - The "So What". Whenever you get a chance, sit in on a backbrief or an FMP. You learn what the 18Fs brief / look for / what they forget to brief (not to be construed with what they choose not to brief). You also learn the difference between the Macro and the Micro, and WHY the ODAs sometimes ask for strange information.

Hope you enjoy your time out at the 1st...I know I did, and am working to get back there.

V/R,

max771
03-24-2007, 15:27
mconrad: Ditto to all of the above. I had the priviledge of being assigned to two Groups - 1st & 10th. Spend as much time as you can with the ODAs. Get out of the office/SCIF & go to the Team Rooms. Ask the teams what they need. Get their feedback & make changes in your products to suit their needs. Go for quality over quantity. As mentioned earlier, you'll be doing lots of reading - the team guys don't have that kind of time, so you have to be a filter for them. Sit in on inbriefs & debriefs, go to the ISOFAC & see how that works. Learn MDMP & the phases of a mission. Get upcoming deployments/exercises from the 3 Shop, then go to the ODA & ask what they need. You can work on products while they're away on other deployments, then have a packet ready for them on upcoming missions when they return. Train with the 18-series guys - go to the range, jumps, exercises, deployments, whatever. When you have qualifications, always go for the 18-series standard, don't settle for the "Support" standard. Don't talk or try to impress - listen & observe. You'll learn more than you ever imagined.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-24-2007, 19:32
You might find it helpful to read FM 34-36, which discusses the organization of an MIDET.

I do not know how many revisions of this manual there are since I had it written in 91, but I can tell you that when I was the DOTD for SWCS I personnally hand jammed just about everything I could into the folks at the Intell Center and School so that they could better understand the needs for SOF in general and SF in particular. There were a lot of things cut from the initial manual to make it more paletable for the TRADOC system and some efforts for future Special Texts designed for folks in the MI community coming to SF groups. I spent a good week working with my counterpart there and we produced a pretty good starting point that needed refinement. The bottom line is that the intell requirements for SF are unique and vary from mission area to mission area and the FM is only an introduction.

Radar Rider
03-24-2007, 21:11
I do not know how many revisions of this manual there are since I had it written in 91, but I can tell you that when I was the DOTD for SWCS I personnally hand jammed just about everything I could into the folks at the Intell Center and School so that they could better understand the needs for SOF in general and SF in particular. There were a lot of things cut from the initial manual to make it more paletable for the TRADOC system and some efforts for future Special Texts designed for folks in the MI community coming to SF groups. I spent a good week working with my counterpart there and we produced a pretty good starting point that needed refinement. The bottom line is that the intell requirements for SF are unique and vary from mission area to mission area and the FM is only an introduction.

Sir, I worked with my MI counterpart at SWC (I was at USASFC) to update the doctrine; it was a well written template from which to work, and we really only had to put in the changes that were occurring. The problem is that MI support to SF changes constantly. In the time since I provided my input, the SOT-As went from Battalion assets to Group assets back to Battalion Assets. Doctrine is really only a template, anyway.

Astraeus
04-07-2007, 04:15
I'm wondering the same question about 97E's attached to SF units. What differences can one expect in the job and requirements when one is attached to SF? If I am become a 97E, would would you like to see me strive to do to help support your mission?
Thank you

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-07-2007, 05:12
I'm wondering the same question about 97E's attached to SF units. What differences can one expect in the job and requirements when one is attached to SF? If I am become a 97E, would would you like to see me strive to do to help support your mission?
Thank you

I would expect that you would perform the tasks to the standard to which you were trained plus execute whatever common soldier tasks would be required by anyone attached to the unit and while attached you could expect to be treated as a member of the team provided you executed your tasks as expected and adhered to the orders and operating procedures expected of all. If there was a required series of tasks for which you needed training in order to "fit in" or contribute to the success of the unit that was not part of your tool kit you would either get whatever training/guidance you needed for whatever was going to be required to cover the period of your attachment or a "minder" to keep you out of trouble. In other words I expect you to do your job and you can expect me to ensure that you have what you need to do it.

The Reaper
04-07-2007, 08:41
You might try searching and doing a little reading here, that topic has been flogged to death already.

TR

miggs
04-25-2007, 11:25
curious to know if there is a certain intell MOS that SF groups tend to be in need of...and if it is possible to request a move to a group and you need to attend a briefing or recruitment class and get selected

x-factor
04-25-2007, 15:50
I'd encourage any SF-body in the field, whether they're an intel guy or a team guy, to take an hour to go by the CJSOTF-J2 shop and make contact with the representatives from the national agencies. If the rep is doing his job, the second or third thing out of his mouth should be "What are you interested in? How can I help you?"

Without getting into specifics, a good relationship with the national intel guys can allow you to leverage resources you might never have had access to otherwise.

Also, I find that a lot of the time tactical-level guys don't ask us for things because they think its going to be a "drain on national-level resources" or a big hassle, when in fact its just a simple tasker. Don't ever be afraid to ask for something. Thats our whole purpose for being there.

Radar Rider
04-26-2007, 17:04
Thank you

You can be ASSIGNED to a Special Forces unit. I am an MI guy ASSIGNED to a Special Forces unit. Not being 18 series does not prevent one from being ASSIGNED to a Special Forces unit.

That being said: 97 series are hot right now, and the bonus is high. IF you can hack it as a 97, AND make it to a Group, you can expect to see a lot of action. Are YOU ready?

Marauder06
04-28-2007, 18:23
curious to know if there is a certain intell MOS that SF groups tend to be in need of...and if it is possible to request a move to a group and you need to attend a briefing or recruitment class and get selected

It probably varies by Group, but 98Gs were the most in demand when I was the MID commander for 5th Group. Unfortunately, there is no selection or assessment whatsoever for support Soldiers going to Group (unless something has changed for the better in the last couple of years). Call your branch manager.