PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Bragg...Where to live?

Warrior-Mentor
01-27-2007, 20:11
Got hit with this question the other day... search here came up empty.

SFAS Select is moving to Bragg with family. Where should they live?

He wanted to avoid Fayetteville proper.

I advised to avoid Spring Lake. Go further North IVO Spout Springs, Cameron, Anderson Creek...

Also offered Raford as a nice alternative (affordable, close, and the Airport/DZ :D ).

Because I haven't lived on Bragg since 2004, wanted to see how much the area had changed...what guys currently in the area recommend...

Snaquebite
01-27-2007, 21:38
I'd stay on the Raeford side...as for assistance I can hook him up with some realtor assistance if he wants. Her husband is retired SF.. Is he looking to buy or rent?

mffjm8509
01-27-2007, 22:07
I lived in Pinehurst while I worked at SWCS, wife worked in "the village"

In my opinion, for the area...........you cant beat the community, Moore County Schools, and Dugans Pub........

mp

Jim DeMatteo
01-28-2007, 01:29
I own a house in Lake William area. It's on the South side of Raeford Road ,West of where Cliffdale Road connects to Raeford Road. I retired in 1995, but still have the house there. It's actually for sale or rent now. I liked that area when I was living there. There are several housing areas out that way towards Raeford. Check with Evans Realty. The owner is retired SF too.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-28-2007, 05:58
My son bought a home in Kings Grant and says that he likes the area and the traffic back and forth from post is not too bad.

Mav
01-28-2007, 08:21
I highly recommend Southern Pines, Aberdeen, that area... it's not really a drive if you take Morganton (the other side) to King's Rd....

I live off of Raeford Rd right at the county lines.. and I really like the area.. lots of new houses going up and we're minutes from Raeford DZ and it takes about 15 minutes to get to post whether by Plank/Chicken or by Cliffdale/Reilly.

CDRODA396
01-28-2007, 08:37
+1 on Aberdeen, Southern Pines, Pinehurst. Even though they are only on the other side of the training area, its as if Fort Bragg doenst exist out there. The main roads are not inundated with Pawn Shops, Sewing Shops and Golden Knight Thank You posters!

Depending on where you wind up, the drive can range from 20 to 40 minutes. Traffic usually isnt bad, and it gives you time to unwind and get rid of the office drama before you get home.

I lived in Aberdeen and could take Manchester or Plank/Chicken and it was 29-31 minutes either way, anytime of day.

School system is good and the Sheriff is pro military and will hack off on Transfers unlike Cumberland County! ;)

SF18C
01-29-2007, 21:02
I live 25-30 minutes north of Bragg in Carolina Lakes…its past Spring Lake but not quite Sanford. I like it but it does take 30 minutes to get anywhere!

The Reaper
01-29-2007, 22:11
If he can afford it, off the west end of post, Aberdeen, Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Whispering Pines, etc.

Especially if he has kids and wife has a job skill.

TR

jodem
01-29-2007, 22:39
Is there anywhere near Bragg that has travel trailer parks?

Pete
01-30-2007, 05:27
Other than location, two things to consider are price and schools.

The counties around Ft Bragg are not nearly as bad as Wake county on shifting students around.

S/W Cumberland county is having a building explosion. Look for students from Jack Britt to start being moved around. East Hoke has a ton of new subdivisions going up. Typical Ranch with bonus room, 1,800-2,100 SF GLA, 7/3/2.5 and around $180,000 to $210,000. Look for schools to become an issue in that county also. Harnett County? Similar to Hoke County.

Find the general location you want to live in, check out the schools tied to that area and then use your price range to search for a home.

Buying a home for a 2 year stay at the Q Course and then having to sell is about on the edge for making any money. Some are having some success using militarybyowner.com and similar For Sale By Owner sites to save on the sales commission. Down side to that is marketing and legal help at closing.

As with all things, do your research to make an informed decision.

Pete

Dealer
01-30-2007, 18:07
Thanks for all the quick posts, gentlemen (and thanks to Warrior-Mentor for posting the thread...I'll refer others). I like what I've found via militarybyowner.com (especially the fact that it's a military seller). Heading down there this weekend to look around.

I've been to FBNC plenty of times but never had to live off-post.

Snaque: I am looking to buy. I'm hoping that the forthcoming BRAC population surge drives demand and allows for some property appreciation. Otherwise I will just keep for an investment property. Contact info for your realtor contact would be much appreciated.

Snaquebite
01-30-2007, 18:19
Dealer let me know when you will be at Bragg and I'll get in touch with my contact.

MtnGoat
02-03-2007, 11:14
Dealer

DO HAVE TO HAVE Broadband Service for the net?? If so, this will or could drive where you will buy. Outside of Cumberland county it's hard to get cable BB. FYI.

Snaquebite
02-03-2007, 11:18
Actually it's not as bad as it used to be. Broadband (Sprint) is available where I live in Hoke county and Cable just started installing last month. Time Warner finally took over in Hoke county from Adelphi. I live off 401 out past Wayside Drive.

The Reaper
02-03-2007, 12:54
Dealer

DO HAVE TO HAVE Broadband Service for the net?? If so, this will or could drive where you will buy. Outside of Cumberland county it's hard to get cable BB. FYI.

Not in this part of Moore County.

TW Cable, phone, and high speed internet access.

TR

Pete
02-03-2007, 13:12
Not in this part of Moore County.

TR

I hear revaluation in Moore County is due out the end of this month. Wonder if the county will make it revenue neutral and lower the tax rate? Cumberland County went "Yippie, extra money, let's spend it all."

Fayetteville has that extra $5 per vehicle tax and you get the little city sticker. Every time I get one I stick it on my green roll-out. With 4 vehicles I'm getting quite the collection.

Tuesday is vote day on the 6-3 City Council Referendum. I'll be there.

Pete

kgoerz
02-03-2007, 14:14
If you are into living in the country west Hoke County is nice where I live. We even have Broad Band out here in the sticks. Only really big downside to living in Hoke is the public Schools. The School system here is a joke. If you have young kids think hard about home schooling or private school if you can afford it.

Marauder06
02-04-2007, 07:50
I live 25-30 minutes north of Bragg in Carolina Lakes…its past Spring Lake but not quite Sanford. I like it but it does take 30 minutes to get anywhere!

Carolina Lakes is a great neighborhood. We just bought a house a little bit north of there in a new development. Lots of good places due north of the installation on 87/24, straight shot down to either Pope or Bragg. I highly recommend the area.

W-M, I've got a great realator and a bunch of Fayetteville information we've picked up that I would be glad to send to your friend if he needs it.

Books
02-04-2007, 16:46
My wife and I live in a nice place in Haymount, 15 minutes from post if I drive the speed limit. We don't have kids, but are told that the schools are nice. The neighborhood is quiet, older homes (older money) and is a brisk walk from downtown Fayetteville (Hay Street). Good luck with the hunt!

Books

Dealer
02-06-2007, 18:44
My wife and I took a trip down there this past weekend. Liked houses and prices in Hoke County, but it seems that the area is growing so rapidly it is hard to say what it will be like in a couple years (traffic, crowding). We spent Sunday looking at houses in Moore county, which we liked quite a bit. MUCH nicer area. To test commute time, we drove from the west side of Pinehurst onto post; ~35 minutes @ just over the speed limit to Longstreet gate. I'm willing to eat that...the area is just that much nicer.

JD

Mav
02-06-2007, 20:21
My wife and I took a trip down there this past weekend. Liked houses and prices in Hoke County, but it seems that the area is growing so rapidly it is hard to say what it will be like in a couple years (traffic, crowding). We spent Sunday looking at houses in Moore county, which we liked quite a bit. MUCH nicer area. To test commute time, we drove from the west side of Pinehurst onto post; ~35 minutes @ just over the speed limit to Longstreet gate. I'm willing to eat that...the area is just that much nicer.

JD

It's worth it.. go with Moore Cty.. I'm telling you, go with Moore Cty! Hoke has its up sides... like...

distance from post and it's in the country. I knew there was one... ;)

Nah, seriously, Hoke is okay, but I would HIGHLY recommend Moore Cty.. Lee as your next choice, but obviously, much farther than Southern Sanford and you're talking a bit of a drive.

Shar
05-08-2007, 22:17
We think we'd like to live on-post during the Q course (assuming all goes well). From what I've seen on the Fort Bragg housing web site the wait would be less than 4 weeks for the house we'd qualify for but I'm well aware that all housing offices shade the truth. What is the situation out there with housing on-post? Can we get housing on-post with a PCS for the Q course (I know at Benning for the advanced course they put the CPTs in shacks on-post that really shouldn't still be habitable - they don't pull something akin to that do they)?

If we can avoid buying a house, I'd like to - but if we are going to need to buy something that's fine. I just need time to prepare because I'm not a huge fan of rent if I can avoid it and make the numbers work.

Thanks!

Daver
05-08-2007, 22:27
We think we'd like to live on-post during the Q course (assuming all goes well). From what I've seen on the Fort Bragg housing web site the wait would be less than 4 weeks for the house we'd qualify for but I'm well aware that all housing offices shade the truth. What is the situation out there with housing on-post? Can we get housing on-post with a PCS for the Q course (I know at Benning for the advanced course they put the CPTs in shacks on-post that really shouldn't still be habitable - they don't pull something akin to that do they)?

If we can avoid buying a house, I'd like to - but if we are going to need to buy something that's fine. I just need time to prepare because I'm not a huge fan of rent if I can avoid it and make the numbers work.

Thanks!

Avoid buying until you know for sure where hes going. If you buy, stay small and stay in moore county...Aberdeem, S. Pines, and Pinehurst, Whispering Pines...the moore county phone book has 21 pages of lawyers and 19 pages of Doctors...do the math, Good luck.

The Reaper
05-09-2007, 08:02

Thanks!

Shar:

That would really surprise me if the wait were that short. I haven't checked in the past year or two, but family housing waits on Bragg are normally in the 18-24 month range.There are tons of decent apartments near Bragg, but if you have a desire to live in a house, get out of the Fayetteville area and look around Moore County, as daver advised.

Best of luck.

TR

kgoerz
05-09-2007, 18:21

JD

Check out the Zoning laws. Growth is good for land investment. My wife moved to NC in 90 from Cali and paid $15,000 for the original 12 acres. Worth a bit more today. I had to pay double that a few years later when we married. Had to buy 23 more acres surrounding us when the owner retired and was going to split his land up to sell. The land around you is just as important as your's. If I couldn't of bought that 23 acres I probably would of moved.
Sucked my entire savings account dry, owner knew I needed it. I could of ended up with a house a few hundred meters from mine:eek: I call it my 22 acre Mote today. The old saying that small towns are good because everyone knows each other. It can also screw you over.
Where I live you have to have at least ten acres to put in any type of trailer. Five acres for a house. At least 200 yards from other houses. The people who live here are the only ones who can change this, based on a vote. Problem is no one tells you when a vote is scheduled. Have to check yourself. Realtors who want to put up trailer parks have tried to sneak votes in on us.
We check the local paper religiously to see if someone requested a vote. They have no shame. I was called one night to get my ass down to city council asap. City council member decided to grant a vote without posting it in the paper prior. Funny the three Realtors who own land by me but don't live there were mysteriously present, one being the brother of the council member who granted the vote. Would of taken years to fix, It's an Hoke County thing.
We know have a friend on the city council who lives by us. He doesn't want trailer parks around any more then us. When new people move in we educate them on living in Green Acres. My dealings in Hoke could fill an entire season of Green Acres.

D9 (RIP)
05-09-2007, 20:54
If I were doing it all over I again I would live close to post until you know what your group assignment is. The last year I was in the course I moved in to a nice apartment complex right off Cliffdale and All American - Legacy at Crosscreek - and never regreted that move. Suddenly, trips home for lunch were a snap. Forgot my dog tags for a pre-jump? No problem, I'll be back before they get to the "P's."

You jump through a lot of hoops as a student in the course. I would make that as simple as possible by shortening the gap between post and work.

My 0.02.

D9 (RIP)
05-10-2007, 09:53
One more note...

Plenty of guys I went to the course with lived on post and were happy with it. That was especially true of guys with family's who enjoyed the extra security of being on post in a city that leaves a lot to be desired in that respect.

The Reaper
05-10-2007, 10:25
I will have to admit that my initial take was as a cadre member and not as a student.

D9's points are well taken. If you can get on post, some of the housing, especially the new stuff is very nice and is quite convenient. If not, there are plenty of apartments which in some cases can be even closer to work than some of the base communities.

The one problem is if your kids are school age and you are living off post, and are unable to get them into the DoD school on post. I would not want to put my kids in the Fayetteville public schools and I drove 37 miles each way to work in order to avoid it.

Being able to come home and clean up after PT or to pop home for lunch and maybe a quick nap sure beats joining the pack on Yadkin International Raceway for the fast food lunch crowd, or bagging it in the classroom.

Good luck.

TR

Daver
05-10-2007, 19:50
being on Post isn't bad if you have kids NOT in High School
Raeford is cheap and the homes aren't bad..but...the schools are not well funded. We moved on post to get away from Raeford schools in 2001
Fayetteville isn't bad on the Kelly Springfield side of town in the North Ramsey Street area...the area on the East side of I-95 near Cypress Lake Golf Course is nice too. Southern Pines, Whispering Pines and Pinehurst are great and have the best schools in the "Public System" in the area IMHO. The drive from Pinehurst to the main post gas station for a reference purpose is approx 35 miles or 50 minutes drive time. I live there now and don't mind the drive, but like TR stated, I can't go home after PT or to have lunch anymore. It's a trade off, but a good one...my boys are in High School at a good school and my car insurance is cheaper than in Hoke or Cumberland County.

bosljeff
05-12-2007, 22:33
Count me in for a vote for Raeford.

Just moved here and have been in the Q for under a year now. Yeah, the drive can suck, but I'm an adult and I go to bed early and get up early on my own so I have the time to drive.

My neighbors are also in the Q, so the wives all hang out too.

I don't have kids, so no opinion there. I live just outside of Raeford near East Hoke Middle School and it isn't too bad. You just have to "consolidate" your errands and make the most of your time to save time, money, and gas when going into town.

It is nice to get away from post and separate Army from your "other" life. We ended up with an amazing 4 bedroom house with a huge backyard, 2 car garage for a hundred less than BAH for me.

So again, my vote is for Raeford. If I were 18 and single- on post, but "grown up" and married, off post away from post.

Good luck.

CRad
05-13-2007, 17:40
We live in Fayetteville, in one of neighborhoods right off post. We're less than a mile from 7th Grp HQ and not far from the new PX/ Commisary. We've lived here for more than 20 years. There are some real advantages to the proximity and that's been pointed out by some darned sharp guys.

I have a school age child. Cumberland County has school choice so if you have kids and they have talent in a certain area the school system will work with you. My son goes to Ben Martin which is an accelerated learning academy. He started school at 4 going on 5. They have tailored his academics to his weaknesses rather than his strengths. He's going to do what he likes on his own. He needs help with what he doesn't like so that program works for him.

The SF people I know tend to bunch up. A guy talks to another guy about where he lives and so on and so forth until you end up with several guys living in the same area. I kind of like that as well. Some people want to get out away from the military but I feel more secure know who my neighbors are and knowing I can count on them when my husband is deployed.

The othe thing is I like being really close to the hospital and the clinic. Because SF is deployed so much it simply makes me feel better knowing help is less than minutes away. I'm sure civilians are just as good as military when it comes to crisis but the difference is I trust the military to know how I'm feeling and to understand better than civilians. (No I don't. :cool: )

If it weren't for kids and deployments, I'd be in Southern Pines or Pinehurst in a New York minute.

That's just me and as I've said before I could be wrong but I've been doing this for 20+ years without much problem so take it for what it's worth.

cobra22
01-03-2008, 10:52
I Start clearing in two weeks I'm trying to compile a list of Realtors, I have Evans realty so far, I'll be calling them today. If any one knows of any other reputable companies I would appreciate the input. I will be at Bragg about the middle of FEB to start browsing homes. I Don't report until March so I have a few weeks to look for what I need. i'm looking to rent not buy.

bosljeff
01-03-2008, 17:32
We were renting from All American homes (the home I mentioned above) and it seems like no matter where you live, if you rent a house, you will be screwed later. I don't know if you are looking at renting a house or an apartment, but so far from our experience, those middle man house rental companies just don't give a damn about you.

If you want to consider buying a condo or a house:

Condo Concepts
910/864-8008 office
208/241-4567 mobile

Their properties at "Landfall" are pretty cool. I know several SF guys are there. They also can hook you up with their home sales too. I bought my house (we have a big dog, so no condo) through them and H&H builders/Coldwell Banker.

exsquid
01-03-2008, 18:05
If you are looking to buy a house the market is flooded with descent properties. If you are looking to rent a nice place, be prepared to pay too much or to look at dozens of dumps. Oh did I mention, at the end of my 1 year lease I was given two weeks to leave. Not because I was a bad tenant but because the owner wanted to live in the house I was in so he could rent out the house he was living in.

x/S

ford21b
01-03-2008, 18:30
I agree with you on Pinehurst, my Dad (army) lives out there and I know when i go and stay with him, I just fall in love with the place.

bosljeff
01-03-2008, 18:32
That is exactly what happened to me, while I'm here in the Delta course. So instead of studying I got to look for a house and all the crap associated with buying a house, pack, move, and unpack. Like I have that kind of time to move. Who did you rent through? I got the exact same story right at the end of my lease. Coincidence?

Oh did I mention, at the end of my 1 year lease I was given two weeks to leave. Not because I was a bad tenant but because the owner wanted to live in the house I was in so he could rent out the house he was living in.

x/S

HQ6
01-03-2008, 19:20
I If not, there are plenty of apartments which in some cases can be even closer to work than some of the base communities.

There is a brand new complex at Yadkin and Filyaw. It looks to be very nice and well kept. I am not sure how reasonable, but you can't beat the commute.

frostfire
06-22-2010, 20:58
Any latest recommendation on a place to live at Bragg, or anyone interested to rent out to easy-to-live-with-simple-living butter bar who'll be out 12 hours+ everyday? Walking/biking distance to WOMACK is desired and oh...proximity to lead-slinging range, gyms, rock walls and rucking path will be great, too:D

Does anyone have first hand experience or working knowledge of Randolph Pointe apartments?

Ewok
03-22-2011, 22:54
My husband and I are moving to Bragg in June for him to attend the Q course. Are the areas mentioned on the previous pages still the best recommended areas to live?
It's just the two of us and a small dog. We're looking to rent. Obviously we would prefer something that doesn't require a horrible drive to post but will gladly sacrifice the drive time for a good, safe neighborhood.

Thank you all!

Prester John
03-23-2011, 02:54
Not sure if anybody's looking, but I have a house for sale in Haymount. I lived there for 5 years and loved the location. It's off a quiet side street and has plenty of parking. House is a 4/3 which is hard to find in Haymount, and it's only 7 minutes from the AA gate. It's perfect for being in the Q. In five years I never once paid the mortgage with 3 other guys living there with me.

If anyone is interested let me know, I just dropped a pretty penny in getting it all prettied up for the market, and built a huge deck on the back last year. It's listed well below appraisal, and I'd be willing to cut a deal to anybody who might want it from the community.

Doug

P.S. For what it's worth, the wife and I now live in Pinehurst. :GRIN: What was that song from The Jefferson's?

frostfire
05-23-2011, 13:50
http://www.randolphpointe.com/index.php?id=hudson
*Includes water, sewer, trash, electricity, full-size washer and dryer, $10,000 Renters' Insurance, high-speed Internet, and cable TV with one premium Showtime channel. Multiple storage rooms available, also garage avaible for rent. Gym, swimming pool, pool table, volley ball court, basketball court. Approx 0.25 miles to Commissary/PX, 1.9 miles to WAMC

2011 price is $747.50 for first floor apartment.
It's steep, but if you value safety, 24/7 quiet environment, ultimate reliability and geographic location that covers for traffic and GATE contingency with FORSCOM and USARC moving to Bragg, it's worth it.
There's about 100 in waiting list. This gets you ahead of them.

If you're E6 and above, O1, O2, or O3, SF/SF candidate or work at WAMC, male/female, single, neat and clean, not party type, not allergic to firearms, nitrocellulose, brass, and numerous pointy instruments of varying length, please PM me. Move in date in the next 30 days.

Pete
05-24-2011, 05:04
Test scores cause concern for Southern Pines officials

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2011/05/24/1096397?sac=Mil

"SOUTHERN PINES - Last year, nearly 91 percent of students at Pinehurst Elementary School performed at or above grade level on state end of year tests.

At Southern Pines Elementary, it was 76 percent.

That difference, 15 percentage points, is causing consternation among many Southern Pines residents, according to town council members................

This is only one elementary school they are talking about in Moore County.

But before you buy or rent - check out where that neighborhood is assigned in the local school system and it's stats.

Kids need a good start. Give it to them in the public schools - or go private.

Ewok
05-24-2011, 17:46
My husband and I ended up renting in Fayetteville off of Robeson. We're in a new subdivision, that appears nice, is so far quiet (thankfully) and with dry runs during 4:00 PM traffic was roughly a 20 minute commute to post.
Does anyone know pro's or cons with the Massey Hill area? We like the house but aren't sold on the rental company or larger neighborhood once leaving the subdivision, so if a better opportunity presented itself, we would consider moving.
Thank you!

E

Pete
05-24-2011, 19:37
Massey Hill is Patrol Zone 5.

http://p2c.bethebadge.com/p2c/Summary.aspx

I copied the incident report page. Don't know how it will look until after I post it. Anyway the mapping is down right now so you have to use the regular incident search for a 10 day period. Zone 5 had 23 incidents the last 10 days.

Edited to add - OK, it does not save the search. Use the drop down and put in Zone 5 and then add the date.

Ewok
05-24-2011, 20:18
Thank you! I had searched the web trying to find that very type of information and came up empty handed. That will be bookmarked and checked frequently. I sincerely appreciate the link.

E

Flame Magnet
10-23-2011, 13:14
Wondering if anyone at Bragg now would recommend a good place to stay for a single Staff Sergeant. I already applied to Randolph Point on post, but that isn't guaranteed, so I would like other options. Any place close to post, and somewhere where I don't have to worry about wearing the wrong colors is preferred. Thanks.

HQ6
10-23-2011, 13:57
Jamestown Commons is right outside the Yadkin gate, reasonable, and safe if you want an apartment. There are lots of 3 bedroom ranch homes for rent close to the Yadkin and Reilly gates if you want a home rather than an apartment. They have rebuilt a lot in Cottonade. If you decide to do a house, get with a property management company or realtor rather than doing it through an individual.

Just my .02

bigtime1158
11-16-2011, 10:09
I will heading to the Q in the January timeframe. I was wondering if anyone else out there needs a roomate for a few months. I am a married e-6 but I can't sell my house and my wife will be staying back for a while until I can get it rented out. I dont have alot of belongings, pretty much just a laptop and clothes. Most of my time is spent doing PT. If anyone is interested send me a pm please.

preblake
12-09-2011, 17:36
I just started the post-selection portion of the pipeline. (I am in CLT hold.) After receiving input from multiple members of my Company that are currently in the Q, I rented a one bedroom in King's Pointe apartment. It is a gated community with many benefits. (A glance at the web page will tell most of the story.) Here is what I can tell you that is not on the web. It is close to the Yadkin gate. (In two weeks, the longest it has taken me from front door to formation is 20 min. On most days, it takes me ~10 min.) One of the girls that works in the office has a husband currently in the pipeline; therefore, they take good care of me. There are multple soldier/neighbors that are currently in the pipeline. For the area surrounding Ft. Bragg, it is relatively safe. (One neighbor, a retired ODA commander w/ 7th SFG, has been here for nine years, and there have been two unsuccessful break-in attempts for his building in that timeframe.) For the area, it is not inexpensive.
If you like what you see on the web and decide to rent, mention me (860-810-6706). They will give me a $100 referral fee. If I am not busy w/ training, I will use it to buy you dinner, and we can talk about the complex, area and pipeline.

chester
01-16-2012, 14:27
We are looking at the area outside of the Honeycutt gate, in the specific area shown on the map I have attached. This school district has excellent services for our special needs child so if it is a safe area it would be ideal for us. Any opinions on this area?

Thank you.

Pete
01-18-2012, 06:04
Safe? That all depends on what you consider safe.

The whole area is mostly single family residential.

The area around Honeycutt and McArthur Road is known as Eureka Springs. Peadens Seafood is located there. Pretty good food. The area was a hot little place for troops in the 50's and 60's. Gone down hill with a lot of low end rentals now.

Andrews Road - The first subdivision coming from Bragg on the North side is College Downs. A 1970's subdivision of small-mid size ranch homes. Lots of rentals. Your experience there would depend on your neighbors. The rest of the subdivisions are pretty up scale - with a rental here and there.

The rest of the area is also a mix of older and newer subdivisions.

King's Grant Condos (Bubble Creek) is a large condo development and has a large number of rentals.

For crime go to the Fay PD Link then Crime Info. The mapping feature is still down so you'll have to hunt and peck through the other search.

Printing out the Patrol Zones will help with a larger search.

http://www.bethebadge.com/

69stang
07-08-2012, 07:39
Hello,
My wife and I will be moving down to the Bragg area here in the next few months. We've begun our housing hunt now. I'm NG and have never done a pcs move before so this is all pretty new to me.

We don't have any little ones currently so the school districts aren't really a concern at this point. We're looking to rent and possibly in neighborhoods with other families going through the Q. I see that many people recommend pretty much anywhere except Fayetteville. Are there communities of SF students in these other places that my wife and I could link up with? We will be conducting a recon of sorts next month to find a place and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jackofspades
08-28-2012, 23:36
I heard from the classic old rumor mill after selection that single E5's may now live off post during the 'Q'. anybody know if there's any truth to this?

mhaggs
09-24-2012, 17:29
Just read your post, I know this is about a month late but if you haven't already found out, single E5's are not currently allowed to live off-post. If you are already here I assume you know this by now but if your not a heads up is always good.

Good luck in the course!

njmiller26
11-10-2012, 11:11
I was just Selected and will be moving to Ft. Bragg. I think I will be at Ft. Benning for 6 months to attend the CCC first, but when I get to Ft. Bragg where should i live. I am interested in buying, but open to renting. I am married with no kids yet. I have heard that Southern Pines is the place to buy. Just looking for any guidance out there. Thanks!

HQ6
11-10-2012, 11:39
Southern Pines is pretty and quiet especially compared to Fayetteville, but it can be a trek as it is distance from both Raleigh and Fayetteville.

Since schools aren't an issue, Raeford and Sanford are both nice. In Sanford, Andersen Creek and Carolina Lakes out that direction has some nice homes in gated communities. There are tons of new builds in Raeford, but the infrastructure is still trying to catch up out there.

In Fayetteville, Gates Four is nice. It is a drive, but not as far out as Raeford and is gated. If you want to stay more central and have an better commute to work, look at Haymount and Van Story Hills area. Kings Grant off Ramsey has decent homes, but again you are away from things.

It will really depend on your price point.

ETA: If your wife will be working, you may want to include her communte into the equation. Many guys live in Fuquay-Varina because their wives can make a better living in Cary/Raleigh.

MtnGoat
11-10-2012, 11:46
I was just Selected and will be moving to Ft. Bragg. I think I will be at Ft. Benning for 6 months to attend the CCC first, but when I get to Ft. Bragg where should i live. I am interested in buying, but open to renting. I am married with no kids yet. I have heard that Southern Pines is the place to buy. Just looking for any guidance out there. Thanks!

Are you looking to stay at bragg after SFQC? If not, you house you looking for a future rental/ Investment buy? If you're staying around Bragg, are kids in you two future?

Anything you or HH6 need to be close to? I.E. Post? Mall? wallmart (LOL), Dog park, Running trails/sites, roads that are biking, ETC?

The Reaper
11-10-2012, 21:51

I have lived in Raleigh, Sanford, Fayetteville, Pinehurst and Southern Pines while working at Ft Bragg. That cover most all of the options except for Lillington, Raeford/Hoke County, Spring Lake, and Tarheel.

My commute from the Bragg side of Southern Pines to Bragg is 26 miles and takes 35 minutes, most mornings.

There is little or no traffic until I get to the Access Control Point.

I have lived as little as five miles from post in Fayetteville, and it still took me 20-30 minutes to get to work, depending on the traffic.

Moore County has lower taxes, better schools, and a lot less crime than Fayetteville/Cumberland County. Moore is primarily a conservative Republican area, and Cumberland is definitely not.

I can be in Fayetteville at Cross Creek Mall in 45 minutes, Cary in an hour, and Raleigh or Durham in 75 minutes or so. Greensboro is 90 minutes out, and that will be cut considerably when the widening of NC 211 is completed. Charlotte is around 2 hours from here. Fayetteville is 30 minutes or so closer to the beach or points east, and SP is that much closer to the mountains or points west.

There is a variety of homes for sale or rent here in Moore County from starter homes to multi- milion dollar mansions, and apartments from old to brand new.

The area sports an unusual number and type of shopping and dining opportunities due to the tourism generated by the golf courses.

Incidentally, Camp Mackall is 15-20 minutes from here.

Hope this helps.

TR

MR2
11-10-2012, 23:30
This topic comes up every other month. We should start a new sticky for it.

ZonieDiver
11-11-2012, 00:29
This topic comes up every other month. We should start a new sticky for it.

And/or get our NC real estate licenses!:D