01-23-2007, 21:09
Who watched?
What'd you think?
Good points?
Bad points?

Discuss......

Sdiver
01-23-2007, 21:14
I watched on C-span. very neutral coverage. They don't focus in on any one person, when the camera is looking towards the chamber. They only focus in on any single person when the POTUS is introducing people/guests up in the gallery.

The one thing that I was kind of a taken aback by was, the POTUS asking that the Strategic Oil Reserve, be doubled within the next few years. That instantly made me go Hummmmmm......

Aside from that, not a bad speech. I give him a 7.5 out of 10.

tk27
01-24-2007, 01:18
The President did a good job, and I have been very critical of him lately, so I am glad to say this. I should just read the transcript afterwards in the future, long on theatrics - short on substance. In the future Presidents should not worry about TV time constraints, throw it up on the web, go for hours, get into detail on issues, talk about legislation, have charts - the whole nine-yards.

Good Points:
- Energy - That he even addressed it is good. Frankly I think it is at the commanding heights of the problems we face.
- Spending - spoke of control and restraint
- Earmarks
- Immigration - reasoned approach on the macro level, call for civility in debate
- Volunteer Civilian Reserve Corps - we'll see how this works out in practice
- AIDS relief
- Wesley Autrey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Autrey) - Great guy
- Sergeant Rieman - Great guy

Bad Points:
- Energy - IMHO still behind the curve
- Spending - He has the Fiscal Restraint of Imelda Marcos, pandering to his base. He said it best: You fool me once shame on you, you fool me twice...... you fool me wont get fooled again.
- Foreign Policy - I disagree on some issues
- Economy - IMHO a selective situation report
- Speech purposely painted w/ broad brush, a defensive move. American political culture continues to devolve due to tv, consultants, ect
- I've always wished he would carry Bin Ladens head in on a pike during one of these things. It didn't happen this time.

The strategic oil reserve struck me too, we'll see what unfolds.

sg1987
01-24-2007, 06:29
I have one major concern. At 2143 EST the President stated that we still have the ability to achieve victory in Iraq. The Republicans jumped to their feet in applause while the Dems remained seated. I understand the practice of party politics but in time of war WTF does this say to our enemies when half of our own congress shows no desire for victory?????

smanders
01-24-2007, 07:11
I'm a tad concerned my employer is going to drop my health insurance now...or at the very least make the offer less generous.

Overall: 6.5 out of 10

82ndtrooper
01-24-2007, 07:20
I have one major concern. At 2143 EST the President stated that we still have the ability to achieve victory in Iraq. The Republicans jumped to their feet in applause while the Dems remained seated. I understand the practice of party politics but in time of war WTF does this say to our enemies when half of our own congress shows no desire for victory?????

It doens't say much for the democratic party. as TR mentioned yesterday in the thread regarding the mattress company, there are men and woman who are simply United States haters, and everything that the U.S. stands for.

I suspect TR is correct, these people seem to be hiding behind a tenure desk at University's across the nation. My observation is that if you hold a masters degree or doctorate, there is some kind of "Skulls" super secret, clandestine chapter to all univeristy's that brain wash these PhD's into the liberal, left, American hate club. They also believe that their higher academia provides them with an "ELITE" sense of morality and consitutional awareness that we mere mortals do not possess. Then again, I have yet to find a professor on campus that has served in the military. At least the two campuses that I have had the opportunity to attend. Northern Kentucky University and Northwestern. Seems a little education does go to the brain...........in the form of ego, not education.

If you watched FOX News networks coverage, then you have had to notice how many times they went to Hillary. Her face is alway's the same. That of a woman who is in desperate need of some good bed time :D

Goggles Pizano
01-24-2007, 07:52
Hillary. Her face is alway's the same. That of a woman who is in desperate need of some good bed time :D

..and your the right guy for the job? ;)

Dan
01-24-2007, 08:30

A few State of the Unions ago my youngest son and I were watching and he noticed the Democrats' strong reactions to comments on the WOT. He asked me, without knowing who the Democrats were, if they were Americans.

sg1987
01-24-2007, 08:40
A few State of the Unions ago my youngest son and I were watching and he noticed the Democrats' strong reactions to comments on the WOT. He asked me, without knowing who the Democrats were, if they were Americans.

Now thats funny. Sad but funny. A kid's perspective sometimes tells alot.

Sionnach
01-24-2007, 08:54

And a child shall lead them...

What struck me about the speech was that the POTUS seemed very poised, confident, and comfortable. In many of his past speeches, he just seemed to be a bit off. I think he did a fairly good job in his efforts to support "The Surge."

George W. Bush is the ONLY president I've seen admit we have an "addiction to oil" and seems to be pushing strongly for energy independance. I find it amazing that a president that "concocted a 'War for Oil'" would be so adament about weening our country off of it.

Jim Webb irked me. Don't "pimp" your child's service for political gain--that really burns my...

enterfirst
01-24-2007, 09:05
I think what is most upsetting is reading CNN's, BBC's, CBS's...... response to his speech. It's not a secret that the POTUS seems to be the scapegoat of EVERY "problem" with America. I enjoyed his positive comments about our great nation. It's not that healthy criticism isn't needed to make our nation greater, but this negative, anti-american campaign the liberals are feeding us is making me ill.

Another idea I would like to throw around (maybe not app for this thread) is the continual use of comparing this war with the Korean War or the Vietnam War. How can they be so analogous? There weren't any Vietnamese that came to American and killed thousands of people before the war and there weren't any trying to come to America to blow up thousands of people during the war. Can't the Dems see this is different?

Cynically I almost hope they pull us out so they can see the tragic consequences of their foreign policy of "we're the instigators." Yah, it's our fault they want to kill everyone who stands in opposition of a totalitarian Islamic state.

Lord, save us.

Roguish Lawyer
01-24-2007, 09:10
I missed it. TiVo'd the overnight replay and will probably watch it tonight.

The Reaper
01-24-2007, 09:23
The speech was among his better ones, not too much new there.

I am trying to figure out why the Dems are letting a former Reagan administration official who was recently elected as a conservative Dem provide their counter to the State of the Union message, and not a member of the CBC or the vocal wing of their party, like Pelosi or Kennedy.

Isn't there a law against "bait and switch" tactics?

TR

CPTAUSRET
01-24-2007, 09:42
"My observation is that if you hold a masters degree or doctorate, there is some kind of "Skulls" super secret, clandestine chapter to all univeristy's that brain wash these PhD's into the liberal, left, American hate club. They also believe that their higher academia provides them with an "ELITE" sense of morality and consitutional awareness that we mere mortals do not possess."

82ndtrooper:

Granted, "Academia" does seem to be left leaning, and there many examples to support that argument; but there are several M.D.s on this board who would argue that premise based on their personal beliefs!

One in particular, an M.D., Ph.D., type is the Grandmother of my Grandchildren!

Sionnach
01-24-2007, 09:52
Granted, "Academia" does seem to be left leaning, and there many examples to support that argument; but there are several M.D.s on this board who would argue that premise based on their personal beliefs!

One in particular, an M.D., Ph.D., type is the Grandmother of my Grandchildren!

You picked a good one, CPTAUSRET!

Let's also not forget Prof. Mike Adams (http://www.dradams.org/)

vsvo
01-24-2007, 10:55
Jim Webb irked me. Don't "pimp" your child's service for political gain--that really burns my...
During the Senate campaign, his wife said he wouldn't use his son for political gain. That statement didn't jive with the widely-circulated picture of him holding up his son's combat boots during one of his rallies. He also let it be known that he carried those boots around everywhere to remind himself of the stakes in the war. I respect and admire his military service, and think he's one of the great American novelists. But as a politician, especially in this latest edition, I find him objectionable. The rapidly shifting demographics brought on by rabid growth in Northern Virginia has turned this part of the Commonwealth into an ugly shade of purple.

I was glad to see the President deliver a good speech.

JPH
01-24-2007, 13:41
Disclaimer: I have not check this site for validity… but I am posting the link as it was the interesting that this document, a bill for the 109th congress, dated 05/05 carried that same title as one of POTUS’ topics in the State of the Union, that being “Civilian Volunteer Service Reserve”

http://www.theorator.com/bills109/hr2724.html

Any thoughts?
JPH

Edit-Update: This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. This bill never became law.

Razor
01-24-2007, 16:07
During the Senate campaign, his wife said he wouldn't use his son for political gain. That statement didn't jive with the widely-circulated picture of him holding up his son's combat boots during one of his rallies.

What's even more disappointing to me is what seems to be a failure of his son to say, "Dad, thanks for supporting me and I love you, but if you continue to use my service as a political tool, I will make a public statement that you're no better than that Sheehan bitch, and I will sever any and all ties between us. Stop it now, period."

spectre919
01-24-2007, 22:32
I think the Pres. had one of his better public speaking nights. Especially in light of the news clip I just finished watching on the news of a Q&A session after a speech he made earlier today. Of course, his oratory skills have always been....well....rough lets say. Very few verbal mistakes last night and he looked very confident.

I thought some of his domestic energy policy was a little sketchy. I fully understand the need for a reduction of foreign POL's. I am not so certain E85 is the way to go; Good for the environment: Bad for economics. My experience with E85 has been: fuel economy goes to crap and I paid 25-30 cents per gallon more for E85 than what I could buy UL89 for. As I understand it, Ethanol production is pretty pricey and therefore higher gas prices when buying blended fuels. Until technology produces a cheaper process for making and blending Ethanol with petrol, the economics don't make sense to me. Of course forcing industry to comply with heavy-handed Federal laws sometimes produces results and maybe this would be one of those situations. And what ever happened to increasing domestic POL production?

On the topic of healthcare reform; I think the Pres. has a decent plan. I have heard folks all day debating the merits of changing the tax laws for/against a "Healthcare Credit."
Most of the folks who didn't like the idea drug out the tired argument of "what about the poor and the old?" My thoughts: Medicare/Medicaid were designed for those less fortunate, to include the old.
-Soapbox- I think those posing that question need to examine a larger problem: Why has our society gotten to the point where it is ok for total strangers to take care of other peolpes' family members? There is a time and place for this, but it's not during a legislative session. Those sitting in the Ivory Tower inside the beltway need to understand that. I don't have any siblings, but if my/or my wifes parents ever fell tragically ill with a life-altering disease, we would take the burden of caring for them in thier time of need as they did for us as defenseless children. We owe them that much, and when the financial burden gets too tough we are willing to re-evaluate the luxuries we share, make the cuts necessary to minimally sustain, and move on. But I could not justify in my own conscience that I live in a 4,000 sq ' home with 4.5 automobiles, a private plane, and fat bank roll and ask the middle class to pay for my familiy members' medical bills. -off of the SB-
Those for the idea genarally understood that even being part of a HMO merely defrays the cost for medical treatment and will not cover everything. Some "model" employer medical plans cover everything, and some do not. For those small business employers that can't afford to offer a premium health/retirement plan, this concept would enable them to keep good employees without fear of losing them because of medical benefits. Being able to put money into a "health savings plan" or invest in a good health care plan without being taxed (up to $15k) would provide them with a dedicated way to save in the event of the "big one" or buy adequate services to meet thier needs. The concept goes right along with optional retirement/investment plans, similar to a 401K. I like the concept, but I'd like to see more to better understand it.

The Pres's foriegn policy. I thought he stopped shy of saying what really needed to be said. I think he re-presented some of the GWOT & OIF cases and attempted to sure them up, but didn't really make a compelling argument to the genaral public why we need to hand Abu his ass. It kind of sounded like the S-o-t-S address from '05 and '06. He doesn't need to sell those who already get it, but he needs to convince those who oppose his war policies. I know that's a hard sell to those who won't fight for thier own security and survival.

All in all, I thought the President had a decent night.

Just my .01...I lost my other .01 in this terrible economy :cool:

tk27
01-25-2007, 01:30
And what ever happened to increasing domestic POL production?

Alot of it is great PR. Our nations petroleum production "peaked (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil)" around 1970. Basically all the easy to get to stuff has been used up, remaining reserves are harder to extract, so the numbers change dramatically.

RE: Ethanol - One effect of all this is that corn prices have jumped, and its causing inflation in Mexico. The are protesting tortilla shortages, sounds like a joke-its not, so we think we have a border problem now, just wait. Also I shutter to think what this is going to do to the price of bourbon. We are growing the most grains now since 1946 when we were also feeding Europe, and demand continues to grow.

The Pres's foriegn policy. I thought he stopped shy of saying what really needed to be said. I think he re-presented some of the GWOT & OIF cases and attempted to sure them up, but didn't really make a compelling argument to the genaral public why we need to hand Abu his ass. It kind of sounded like the S-o-t-S address from '05 and '06. He doesn't need to sell those who already get it, but he needs to convince those who oppose his war policies. I know that's a hard sell to those who won't fight for thier own security and survival.

If it truly is an existential threat to us, forget a 20k man "surge", enough with the half measures - why not raise up another 500k troops and finish it?

Anything less imho, get Hank Crumpton back in position, adapt, let SF do what it does best, and the rest of the CT and insurgency pro's go to work. The thankless work of small wars and insurgencies in the shadows on our nations behalf, nothing new for these folk. Back to Deal or No Deal for the rest of us.

spectre919
01-25-2007, 07:15
The thankless work of small wars and insurgencies in the shadows on our nations behalf, nothing new for these folk. Back to Deal or No Deal for the rest of us.

100% agreed!

aricbcool
01-25-2007, 18:52
Edit: Nevermind. Forgot to read the whole post. Sorry.

--Aric