PDA

View Full Version : CNN Hummer brings $1.25 million for Fisher House at Barrett-Jackson

jasonglh
01-21-2007, 20:11
(CNN) -- A Hummer used by CNN to cover the war in Iraq and then renovated on The Learning Channel netted $1.25 million for charity on Saturday.

Proceeds from the sale of Warrior One, which toured military bases and medical centers nationwide before the auction, will be donated to the Fisher House Foundation. The organization temporarily houses families of patients receiving major medical care in military hospitals and Veterans Affairs facilities.

Dave Liniger, founder of Re/Max International Inc., had the winning bid of $1 million for the Hummer. An additional $250,000 was thrown in by Dave Ressler, a businessman from North Dakota and Montana.

Rest plus pics and video here (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/20/hummer.auction/)

Not bad for a Hummer that caught on fire right before the auction! :eek:

On a related note any of you local Arizona guys the proud new owner of Carroll Shelby's Super Snake for $5.5 million?

Warrior-Mentor
01-22-2007, 17:22
Impressive fund raising & philanthropy!

azmg
01-22-2007, 18:44
I am in Tucson and was one of many bidders at the auction and noticed that there were folks working on that Hummer both Fri and Sat but have no idea what actually happened to it to cause the fire. Great fundraising effort though!

On a separate note the gentleman that won the SuperSnake for $5 million also purchased "The Last 67' Stingray" and a few other cars totaling about $8-10 million. His name is Ron Pratte and he's in construction (framing and concrete) in Phoenix and he sold part of his company to Pulte Homes in order to pursue his car hobby a couple of years back. He has quite an extensive collection and gives a great deal to charity.

A brief overview of Mr. Prattes success
http://www.buildingonline.com/news/viewnews.pl?id=2805

SF18C
01-22-2007, 21:42
I had seen the show on TLC when they did this build. I guess all I can say is that it amazes me the Commie News Network actually did this. That photo of Wolf Blitzer says it all...like he can't believe he is doing this "for the troops"

But hey I am glad the Fisher House gout a big check cause I know what that place can do form the troops and their families during what is a hard enough event to get though with out worrying about hotels or lodging.