PDA

View Full Version : A Mother Meets with President Bush

Snaquebite
01-20-2007, 19:02
Sorry I don't have a link for this, but it deserves to be posted in it's entirety.

Meeting President Bush

Deborah Tainsh | January 17, 2007

Except for the men and women in uniform who have pledged to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic, I've never been star struck. So when my husband, Sergeant Major David Tainsh USMC (Ret.), and I, parents of fallen hero Army Sergeant Patrick Tainsh, received the invitation to meet with President Bush on January 11 at Fort Benning, I told the caller I had a conflict. I was scheduled to be in California that day meeting with other very important people: 100 family members of other fallen heroes.

However, I knew my husband would not want to miss meeting our nation's Commander-in-Chief. So with some flight rearranging that would get me to California by Friday morning to moderate a "family grief circle" and a "journaling through grief" writing workshop and then to Georgia, my husband and I and 24 other Georgia and Alabama families found ourselves in the presence of the leader of the greatest nation in the world.

Families arrived at the Fort Benning officer's club by noon to be in place by the time Air Force One landed and the base shut down. After entering the doors, purses were checked and bodies scanned by White House police. Secret Service agents stood scattered around the large banquet hall. Any gifts brought for the president had to be handed over to an agent, and no cameras or recording devices were allowed. Photos would later be taken by a White House photographer.

Our Gold Star families, the term given to those of us who have had a loved one die in war, received five-star treatment from Fort Benning staff that had worked diligently to gather families for this historic event. The three hour wait was well spent with families meeting each other, sharing stories, and providing an opportunity for Dave and I to share information about the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors and Good Grief Camp for Young Survivors.

As time approached for the President's arrival to the O Club following his meeting with the troops, we were organized into three groups and led to separate rooms. Dave and I were led to the Benning room with 26 other family members representing: Seaman Zachary M. Alday, SFC Victor Anderson, SPC Stephen D. Hiller, SFC David Salie, SPC Justin Johnson, Major Douglas Sloan, SGT Charles Wilkerson, and SPC Jacques Brunson. Seated in a circle of chairs and "love seats," we learned that this was the first time the President, at his request, would be meeting with families as a group. He usually sat in a room as individual families were brought to him.

At 3:50 p.m. a secret service agent announced the President's entry to our room, the third and last. I kept my eyes on the door and watched it slowly open. I wasn't star struck, but I found myself suddenly in a surreal moment, the momentary disbelief that we were about to meet with the most powerful leader of the free world. The moment was also surreal because no one there ever wanted to meet our President because a loved one had died in war. I was struck again by the reality that our Patrick was really not coming home. I'm sure other families were feeling the same thing, but I witnessed no negativity among those present.

President Bush is a man of commanding presence, confident and secure, with no arrogant air. His first words were: "Thank you for coming by today. I appreciate your time. I am here to honor your loved ones, America's heroes. If I had not believed the mission a right and just cause, I would never have sent your loved one into harm's way. It'll be hard for me not to shed tears with you. I'm here as long as you need me the rest of the day to talk, give or accept hugs, and sign anything you'd like for me to sign. Just don't ask me to sing, because I can't sing."

With that we all laughed. The President chuckled as he turned to the first family near him and they introduced themselves and their son's name. After chatting a few moments, Mr. Brunson said, "Mr. President, I'd like to say a prayer for you." Everyone stood as this mild, graceful father held the President's hand and said a prayer for him, our nation, our troops, and the people of Iraq. Following that the President spent time with 11-year-old Aidan Sloan whose dad died in Afghanistan in October.

Mom Jan Johnson told the President that she belonged to a prayer group that prayed constantly for him. President Bush turned to everyone and said, "I am blessed to be the only leader in the world who is privileged to have the people of his country constantly praying for him. Laura and I feel your prayers, they give us strength. And we thank you." Then with another bit of humor he said he had often wanted to ask someone like the leader of China if his people ever prayed for him, but then he figured it wouldn't go over too well. Again we all laughed.

And before the President approached Dave and me, Dad Joe Johnson shook the President's hand again and said, "Sir, I support your decisions. I served in Iraq for a year after our son's death; we need the troops. We need to complete the mission. It's worth it."

After a final hug and handshake with the Johnsons, President Bush stepped in front of us. Dave introduced himself and spoke about Patrick as he locked a handshake, after which the President looked straight into my eyes, asked how I was doing, then gave me, as he had the other moms, a bear hug and kiss on the side of the face. I held in my hands Patrick's green notebook, the one he had written briefing notes inside, the one he left a three-page letter in for his family in case he was killed.

"Mr. President," I said, "Thank you for seeing us. We support you 100 percent."

After telling him I had brought a notebook with letters of prayers and support from other Gold Star parents from across the nation, I showed him Patrick's notebook and looked him directly in the eyes, saying, "This is the book our son wrote in while in Iraq, and this is the letter he left for us in the event of his death. Mr. President, our son believed in the Iraqi people, in this letter he states that he hopes the Iraqi people will someday experience the same freedoms that he was blessed to experience, that it was an honor to live, fight and die with an American Flag on his shoulder. He tells how he cried for the children because he didn't have food and water for them. He said they were worth the fight."

I saw President Bush was fighting back tears. With his hands entwined behind him, he straightened his shoulders and tried to recompose himself. As my voice began to break and tears moistened my cheeks, I pointed to the last words printed in red on the page: "Love, your son, Patrick."

"Mr. President, would you please write a note to Patrick?" I asked. "Tell him you won't let him down." I handed him the book.

In the notebook the President wrote: "Patrick, thank you for your courage. I won't let you down. George W. Bush."

He handed the book back to me, and I accepted another hug. My husband, with tears in his eyes, exchanged another handshake.

In the time since the death of our fallen hero, I have labeled the Gold Star families as the "grieving proud." Most don't understand us, but the President did. His compassion showed. I cannot tell you what color his tie was, but I can describe his soft black leather slip-on shoes with thick cushioned soles - a metaphor for a world leader who stands secure, comfortable and strong in his convictions. He carries the burden of our nation's safety on his shoulders; he has the courage to face the families of our nation's fallen heroes.

Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion.

Copyright 2007 Deborah Tainsh. All opinions expressed in this article are the author's and do not necessarily reflect those of Military.com.

About Deborah Tainsh

Deborah Tainsh, Gold Star Mother of Sgt Patrick Tainsh KIA Baghdad, Iraq, 2/11/04, is the author of Heart of a Hawk: One family's sacrifice and journey toward healing, recipient of the Military Writers Society of America's Spirit of Freedom award.

A supporter of America's military and their families, Deborah is a national speaker, writer, and peer mentor for Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors of military personnel located in Washington, D.C. She and her husband, USMC Sgt. Major (Ret) David Tainsh live in Harris County, Georgia, near Columbus and their son, Phillip

82ndtrooper
01-20-2007, 19:26
Snaquebite,

As usual, you share great stuff with us.

Thank you.

82ndtrooper

Gypsy
01-20-2007, 20:56
That was a beautiful post, thanks snaquebite.

Beach Bum
01-20-2007, 21:35
Another great post snaquebite! Thank you

The Reaper
01-20-2007, 23:46
Great story, thanks for sharing.

TR

Sdiver
01-21-2007, 04:22
Wow !!!

pegasus
01-21-2007, 09:28
Deborah Tainsh has some regular columns and her own website (http://www.elvaresa.com/tainsh.html )

Here are some of her other op-ed's.

http://www military com/Opinions/0,,Tainsh_Index,00.html

(insert dots).

Ranger Luna
01-21-2007, 12:21
It brought tears of pride to my eyes.

Great post!!:cool:

Monsoon65
01-21-2007, 16:39
Wow, that's some story! Thanks for sharing!

kgoerz
01-21-2007, 17:17
A friend of mine who volunteers at Walter Reed said GW visits the wounded there just about every week. No press and it is kept very low key as not to look like a political stunt. Just one camera man to take pictures and give them to the wounded if they want one. We did a Demo for GW before the war. We asked the Secrete Service if they were going to take the Bolts from the people not shooting in the Demo. They said GW told them no "if I cant trust them with loaded weapons around me how can they trust me with sending them to war" They did ask us not to glass the President.

echoes
04-29-2009, 14:41
In my search today, I ran across this very powerful post.

With the current political climate, I just wanted to re-live what some of Our Presidents have done, in the past. Hope that is okay...

Sorry I don't have a link for this, but it deserves to be posted in it's entirety.

Meeting President Bush

Deborah Tainsh | January 17, 2007

Except for the men and women in uniform who have pledged to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic, I've never been star struck. So when my husband, Sergeant Major David Tainsh USMC (Ret.), and I, parents of fallen hero Army Sergeant Patrick Tainsh, received the invitation to meet with President Bush on January 11 at Fort Benning, I told the caller I had a conflict. I was scheduled to be in California that day meeting with other very important people: 100 family members of other fallen heroes.

However, I knew my husband would not want to miss meeting our nation's Commander-in-Chief. So with some flight rearranging that would get me to California by Friday morning to moderate a "family grief circle" and a "journaling through grief" writing workshop and then to Georgia, my husband and I and 24 other Georgia and Alabama families found ourselves in the presence of the leader of the greatest nation in the world.

Families arrived at the Fort Benning officer's club by noon to be in place by the time Air Force One landed and the base shut down. After entering the doors, purses were checked and bodies scanned by White House police. Secret Service agents stood scattered around the large banquet hall. Any gifts brought for the president had to be handed over to an agent, and no cameras or recording devices were allowed. Photos would later be taken by a White House photographer.

Our Gold Star families, the term given to those of us who have had a loved one die in war, received five-star treatment from Fort Benning staff that had worked diligently to gather families for this historic event. The three hour wait was well spent with families meeting each other, sharing stories, and providing an opportunity for Dave and I to share information about the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors and Good Grief Camp for Young Survivors.

As time approached for the President's arrival to the O Club following his meeting with the troops, we were organized into three groups and led to separate rooms. Dave and I were led to the Benning room with 26 other family members representing: Seaman Zachary M. Alday, SFC Victor Anderson, SPC Stephen D. Hiller, SFC David Salie, SPC Justin Johnson, Major Douglas Sloan, SGT Charles Wilkerson, and SPC Jacques Brunson. Seated in a circle of chairs and "love seats," we learned that this was the first time the President, at his request, would be meeting with families as a group. He usually sat in a room as individual families were brought to him.

At 3:50 p.m. a secret service agent announced the President's entry to our room, the third and last. I kept my eyes on the door and watched it slowly open. I wasn't star struck, but I found myself suddenly in a surreal moment, the momentary disbelief that we were about to meet with the most powerful leader of the free world. The moment was also surreal because no one there ever wanted to meet our President because a loved one had died in war. I was struck again by the reality that our Patrick was really not coming home. I'm sure other families were feeling the same thing, but I witnessed no negativity among those present.

President Bush is a man of commanding presence, confident and secure, with no arrogant air. His first words were: "Thank you for coming by today. I appreciate your time. I am here to honor your loved ones, America's heroes. If I had not believed the mission a right and just cause, I would never have sent your loved one into harm's way. It'll be hard for me not to shed tears with you. I'm here as long as you need me the rest of the day to talk, give or accept hugs, and sign anything you'd like for me to sign. Just don't ask me to sing, because I can't sing."

With that we all laughed. The President chuckled as he turned to the first family near him and they introduced themselves and their son's name. After chatting a few moments, Mr. Brunson said, "Mr. President, I'd like to say a prayer for you." Everyone stood as this mild, graceful father held the President's hand and said a prayer for him, our nation, our troops, and the people of Iraq. Following that the President spent time with 11-year-old Aidan Sloan whose dad died in Afghanistan in October.

Mom Jan Johnson told the President that she belonged to a prayer group that prayed constantly for him. President Bush turned to everyone and said, "I am blessed to be the only leader in the world who is privileged to have the people of his country constantly praying for him. Laura and I feel your prayers, they give us strength. And we thank you." Then with another bit of humor he said he had often wanted to ask someone like the leader of China if his people ever prayed for him, but then he figured it wouldn't go over too well. Again we all laughed.

And before the President approached Dave and me, Dad Joe Johnson shook the President's hand again and said, "Sir, I support your decisions. I served in Iraq for a year after our son's death; we need the troops. We need to complete the mission. It's worth it."

After a final hug and handshake with the Johnsons, President Bush stepped in front of us. Dave introduced himself and spoke about Patrick as he locked a handshake, after which the President looked straight into my eyes, asked how I was doing, then gave me, as he had the other moms, a bear hug and kiss on the side of the face. I held in my hands Patrick's green notebook, the one he had written briefing notes inside, the one he left a three-page letter in for his family in case he was killed.

"Mr. President," I said, "Thank you for seeing us. We support you 100 percent."

After telling him I had brought a notebook with letters of prayers and support from other Gold Star parents from across the nation, I showed him Patrick's notebook and looked him directly in the eyes, saying, "This is the book our son wrote in while in Iraq, and this is the letter he left for us in the event of his death. Mr. President, our son believed in the Iraqi people, in this letter he states that he hopes the Iraqi people will someday experience the same freedoms that he was blessed to experience, that it was an honor to live, fight and die with an American Flag on his shoulder. He tells how he cried for the children because he didn't have food and water for them. He said they were worth the fight."

I saw President Bush was fighting back tears. With his hands entwined behind him, he straightened his shoulders and tried to recompose himself. As my voice began to break and tears moistened my cheeks, I pointed to the last words printed in red on the page: "Love, your son, Patrick."

"Mr. President, would you please write a note to Patrick?" I asked. "Tell him you won't let him down." I handed him the book.

In the notebook the President wrote: "Patrick, thank you for your courage. I won't let you down. George W. Bush."

He handed the book back to me, and I accepted another hug. My husband, with tears in his eyes, exchanged another handshake.

In the time since the death of our fallen hero, I have labeled the Gold Star families as the "grieving proud." Most don't understand us, but the President did. His compassion showed. I cannot tell you what color his tie was, but I can describe his soft black leather slip-on shoes with thick cushioned soles - a metaphor for a world leader who stands secure, comfortable and strong in his convictions. He carries the burden of our nation's safety on his shoulders; he has the courage to face the families of our nation's fallen heroes.

Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion.

Copyright 2007 Deborah Tainsh. All opinions expressed in this article are the author's and do not necessarily reflect those of Military.com.

About Deborah Tainsh

Deborah Tainsh, Gold Star Mother of Sgt Patrick Tainsh KIA Baghdad, Iraq, 2/11/04, is the author of Heart of a Hawk: One family's sacrifice and journey toward healing, recipient of the Military Writers Society of America's Spirit of Freedom award.

A supporter of America's military and their families, Deborah is a national speaker, writer, and peer mentor for Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors of military personnel located in Washington, D.C. She and her husband, USMC Sgt. Major (Ret) David Tainsh live in Harris County, Georgia, near Columbus and their son, Phillip

dennisw
04-29-2009, 17:07
Echoes,

I'm glad you revived this thread. President Bush showed what moral courage is all about. I would also like to commend the parents who were at this meeting. To suffer the heartbreak of losing a loved one, but still be supportive of our President and our mission is what being an American is all about.

Great story about a collection of great people.

echoes
04-29-2009, 17:49
Echoes,

I'm glad you revived this thread. President Bush showed what moral courage is all about. I would also like to commend the parents who were at this meeting. To suffer the heartbreak of losing a loved one, but still be supportive of our President and our mission is what being an American is all about.

Great story about a collection of great people.

Dennis,

Very well said, as indeed this is a, "Great story about a collection of Great folks."

In any case, in today's political climate, am just wanting to...remember.;)

Holly