PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Smoker

jasonglh
01-19-2007, 11:04
I have wanted one of these since I first saw it at the Farm Machinery show after it first came out. I have several grills and smokers so it was hard to justify the price . Cabela's just put them on sale and I think its the first time I have ever seen that in their catalog. I suspect it has something to do with Bradley's new digital version coming out. Anyway I picked up the black original version for $269.99 and a 120ct box of the hickory pucks. I seasoned it last night per the instructions and am currently testing it now with a pair of 8lb boston butts dry rubbed with Country Bob's (http://www.countrybobs.com/) seasoning salt. Current air temp here at 11:00 is 34F, target cooking temp is 225F and target done internal temp is 170F.

My main reason for this purchase is the insulated cabinet. Last year I smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving and while it turned out great I fought the cold all day beginning at 3am. I even wound up constructing a cardboard barricade to keep my old smoker out of the wind. With this one I hope the cold is not a problem but I would imagine some summer time I will be back to charcoal.

Razor
01-19-2007, 16:28
Jason, I'm very sorry to have to tell you this, but you've been duped. I have attached a picture of an actual Bradley Smoker so that in the future you'll know the difference.

The Reaper
01-19-2007, 16:41
That is what I thought when I read the title.

Some Mech Infantry dudes doing extra PT, or the IFV needed a ring job.

TR

jasonglh
01-19-2007, 23:55
Heh. It might have cooked faster if I had just tossed it a running Bradley.

Final verdict was cook time of 6 hours almost to the minute and a temp of 200F. It took almost 1 1/2 hours for it to get to 200F after I put the meat in. There is a bowl that is supposed to extinguish the pucks and after the 6 hours it was empty of water. Directions called for it to only be 1/2 full of water and with a full rack of pucks should smoke for 8 hours. That is obviously not the case.

Final verdict was it did okay for cold weather smoking. As far as smoke flavoring goes it certainly took care of that. Actually I probably could have turned off the puck burner after a few hours and gotten much the same result. Protected from the wind and extreme cold it probably would have made the target temp of 225 degrees and cooked a little sooner. Meat was certainly juicy but its pretty easy to accomplish with a boston butt.

Team Sergeant
01-20-2007, 09:13
Guess what the Team Sergeant just purchased....

http://www.cookshack.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=4&=SID

Gunnerjohn, X SF Med, and myself were at their booth at the Shot Show for a while, (we could not get GunnerJohn to leave..) they were cooking in side the show and you could not even smell the smoke!

I had already done the research on BBQ smokers and from everything i've read this is the smoker of choice for non-"pit" masters.

I'd been using a cheap Brinks water smoker for years and you cannot keep a constant temp no matter what you do.

When I told the folks at Cook Shack I intended to make a purchase they gave me a good deal on the cooker and stand.

I'll let you know how it works when it finially arrives.

Save your pennies and get one, from everything I've read (and tasted) you will not be disappointed.

TS

brewmonkey
01-22-2007, 15:38
That is what I thought when I read the title.

Some Mech Infantry dudes doing extra PT, or the IFV needed a ring job.

TR

As a former 11M it is exactly what I thought too.

As for smokers, I have used mine a few times this winter and had some trouble due to low air temps. A lot of problems holding temps and getting the meat to the safe zones. I have one of the Brinkmann water smokers right now but would like to find something like TS posted.

x SF med
01-22-2007, 15:43
Guess what the Team Sergeant just purchased....

http://www.cookshack.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=4&=SID

Gunnerjohn, X SF Med, and myself were at their booth at the Shot Show for a while, (we could not get GunnerJohn to leave..) they were cooking in side the show and you could not even smell the smoke!

I had already done the research on BBQ smokers and from everything i've read this is the smoker of choice for non-"pit" masters.

I'd been using a cheap Brinks water smoker for years and you cannot keep a constant temp no matter what you do.

When I told the folks at Cook Shack I intended to make a purchase they gave me a good deal on the cooker and stand.

I'll let you know how it works when it finially arrives.

Save your pennies and get one, from everything I've read (and tasted) you will not be disappointed.

TS

Absolutely incredible smoker!! We got Brisket, and Ribs and Pork Roast (sometimes all 3 in the same day) probably the best and juciest stuff I've ever had from a smoker.

jasonglh
01-22-2007, 18:41
Would certainly be interested in hearing how well it holds temp on a cold day. The first time I saw one was inside Misty Morn safe company while I was shopping for a gun safe. I think next Feb I am going to try to catch him at the Farm Show in Louisville and try to catch a good deal on a gun safe. I wonder if I could get him to throw in a Cook Shack? :munchin