PDA

View Full Version : deep cover holster

Endorphin Rush
01-19-2007, 03:40
Just throwin' this out there for anyone who might find it useful...

These were developed by a FAM. I just got mine and will let you know how it works given a little time and some training with it.

http://specgear.com/Truss.html

Check out some of the videos on the site.

ER

Goggles Pizano
01-19-2007, 06:50
Not to burst the thread Bro but if I am that deep UC I don't think I want the bat belt wrapped around me. When in their world dress as they do, talk as they do, carry as they carry no?

Endorphin Rush
01-19-2007, 08:00
GP:

You make a very good point!

I guess I should have better clarified what I meant by deep cover. I was offering this up more for someone who might want to conceal their hardware better in street clothes (as in off-duty) as opposed to as an honest-to-god undercover cop or operative.

I've never worked undercover and wouldn't know what the heck I was doing if I had to, but I can imagine that this bird wouldn't fly very far in that arena.

I work patrol and SWAT. Nothing else. I don't pretend to know anything else.

I do know this...I've carried a Gov't model 1911 on my hip for so long that my back hurts. And now that my belly has grown big and my hiney small, old slabsides doesn't conceal quite as easily as she used to.

The holster above seems to place the weapon in a location on my anatomy that conceals large objects much more effectively than on my waist. And I can sure carry a lot more weight for a much longer period of time on my torso without any of the untoward effects.

The intent of the thread was as a heads up to a new piece of gear. Everyone has to decide for themselves what works for them and in what arena. If it happens that this fits someone's needs...then I'm happy I could help.

Stay safe out there, brother.

ER

Goggles Pizano
01-19-2007, 11:36
GP:
And now that my belly has grown big and my hiney small, old slabsides doesn't conceal quite as easily as she used to.

ER

OMG ER I just spit coffee on my monitor! Thanks man! ;)

Endorphin Rush
01-21-2007, 17:47
You're welcome, bra'. I aim to humor. You should hear the wife sometimes...the new "40 plus" look just cracks her up, too.

Smokin Joe
01-22-2007, 05:25
ER,

When you get some time to practice with this thing I would love to hear how fast you are with it. Because from the video's I didn't see anyone drawing and firing in under 3 +/- seconds. Hopefully you can train to be faster than that with it.

Team Sergeant
01-22-2007, 09:03
Just throwin' this out there for anyone who might find it useful...

These were developed by a FAM. I just got mine and will let you know how it works given a little time and some training with it.

http://specgear.com/Truss.html

Check out some of the videos on the site.

ER

Is there a rucksack that goes with that get-up? Where's the rocket launcher go? :D

I guess it depends on just how much junk one wants to carry.

Have you had a look at http://www.kramerleather.com/home.cfm

He's got some real nice holsters I own a few of the IWB and Belt Scabbards. Both easy to conceal if you're wearing a jacket or loose shirt.

He's also got a deep cover shirt you might want to check out. You may have to leave out the rocket launcher and 100 rounds of extra ammo.;)

TS

The Reaper
01-22-2007, 09:12
I have to second the Kramers for CCW. I have several, including the IWBs, belt scabbards, and MSP paddle holsters. Pricy, but you get what you pay for. I have an MSP which has carried my daily Para P-12 for 12 years now. Except for some scuffs, it is as good as new.

If I was doing undercover work, I do not think that a HSLD truss or $150 holster would blend in very well. Probably a Mexican carry or a modification thereof is the way to look like a street thug.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

Team Sergeant
01-22-2007, 09:20
My everyday CCW is a full size HK USP .45 in a Kramer Horsehide Belt Scabbard. It's a real comfortable holster in and out of cars etc. Sometimes I carry a smaller, HK, USP Compact, .45 also in a Kramer holster.;)

Smokin Joe
01-22-2007, 16:16
Probably a Mexican carry or a modification thereof is the way to look like a street thug.

I'd go with the appendix carry like that guy from the Phillipino hit squad used if I worked U.C.

just my .02 cents.

Warrior-Mentor
01-22-2007, 16:32
FWIW from a friend who worked undercover:

Holster = LEO

Goggles Pizano
01-23-2007, 07:13
FWIW from a friend who worked undercover:

Holster = LEO

Correct Sir. In fact during buys we'd get checked at the door for all the LE niceties (holster, handcuff wearmarks on jean pockets, badge holding wallet, wire, notebook and pen, expensive sunglasses, etc). One needs to know the difference between whiteboy wear, hood rat wear, and copwear lest one finds himself ass up in a dirty alley someplace. They are not stupid-just greedy.

Christophe
01-23-2007, 16:29
No UC experience (as in infil), but I often work plainclothes.
My fav holster for that,personal opinion, is a kydex inside-the-pants holster from Front Line. Only holster security is a tension screw. Only drawback is that it gets painfull to wear after a while (I am a skinny dude :o )
I find it a great holster, real kiss.

I also like Fobus;cheap and sturdy and light.
I have a Fobus paddle holster ( C-21)and a paddle (CU9G) for my cuffs and spare mag (made for a Glock mag but accepts my Browning HP mag perfectly).

http://www.front-line.co.il/ - product categories-kydex holsters-6th holster from the top.

Endorphin Rush
01-24-2007, 22:48
Agreed...this is definitely not something that I would use if I had any intention of making someone believe that I was not a cop. I apologize for the misleading thread title and will now officially label this contraption as "Not safe or appropriate for UC work". It's not even safe or appropriate for plainclothes work. Heck, I wouldn't even wear this when out and about on the town while off-duty.

So, why did I even consider this contraption???

I decided to give this thing a try as an alternate method of carry when conventional methods are not always possible or comfortable, such as: while lounging around the house, while out PT'ing or while out on the boat, where a belt is not always an option.

As for the load carried in this thing, I've only got it stuffed full of one handgun and two spare mags. No grenades...claymores...or rocket launchers...:p

So far, and after some use, I can answer Smokin Joe's question as to how fast this thing is...it ain't.

The way in understand it is that this thing was developed by a F.A.M. as an alternate way of carrying their REQUIRED gear. Apparently they MUST carry a certain firearm, number of mags, knife, light, cuffs and creds as their standard loadout. Hence, the rucksack full of gear you see stuffed into this thing on the website's pictures and videos.

Kramer leather is good to go, I concur. Kramer's belt scabbard or a C.T.A.C. ghurka are what I normally carry in.

Thanks guys

ER

Rogue
01-25-2007, 11:20
Take a look at at the 5.11 holster shirt. It comes in Black and White, in both V-neck and Crew neck. I wear this shirt 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. I've carried everything from a PPK to a HK USP Compact to a Glock 21. The most comfortable holster I've ever used. You almost forget you are carrying. Very discreet. And extremely hidden. It has identical pouches on both sides which are closed at the bottom. Extremely usefull to carry extra mags, of small blade.

The link below is for this item at Brigade Quarter masters.

The NRA also carries it in their store. The pouch on theirs is slightly different, I actually prefer the NRA version.

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=13332&M5COPY%2Ectx=28823&M5%2Ectx=28823&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Uniform%20%26%20BDU%20T%2DShirts&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=5%2E11%20holster%20shirt&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam[/URL]