PDA

View Full Version : Air America

NousDefionsDoc
04-10-2004, 19:06
http://www.airamericaradio.com/

Any of you guys listened to this? What do you think?

Kyobanim
04-10-2004, 19:46
That's that new left sided radio station, right?

I try to stay away from radio and TV that tries to sell me on one side or the other. Needless to say, I don't listen to too much news. :cool:

Bill Harsey
04-10-2004, 19:48
I listen to all the radical left wing radio, Reaper said it would be good for me.

NousDefionsDoc
04-10-2004, 19:49
That's the one. Might be good for a laugh. I was just listening and they were interviewing some one from india about Iraq. Lady asked her "How is the war in Iraq affecting you in India." "Woman said "well, its really not, but..." LOL

NousDefionsDoc
04-10-2004, 19:50
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
I listen to all the radical left wing radio, Reaper said it would be good for me.

LOL - well if Reaper said...

Bill Harsey
04-10-2004, 19:53
Oh this is good, broadcast out of Portland Oregon too! Al Franken with a "drug free" radio show? Hmmm. Must think twice before typing next sentence.

The Reaper
04-10-2004, 20:23
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Oh this is good, broadcast out of Portland Oregon too! Al Franken with a "drug free" radio show? Hmmm. Must think twice before typing next sentence.

No, no, no!

He said "free drugs", not "drug free". It is leftist, you see.

If they had their way, drugs would be free for the taking to people of all ages, and you would be incarcerated for life for owning a firearm, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what I believe.

TR

DunbarFC
04-10-2004, 20:27
This really is a shock - it's not available here in Boston !

Maybe there is still some hope.........nah.....nevermind

Janeane Garofalo and Chuck D - so that's were failed performers go to die, radio no one can hear

NousDefionsDoc
04-10-2004, 20:29
Its on the internet, its available to everybody. Just click - "Listen Live" or whatever it is.

DunbarFC
04-10-2004, 20:33
Ahh I didnt see that part I just saw the radio stations it was currently on

pulque
04-10-2004, 21:07
Originally posted by DunbarFC
Janeane Garofalo and Chuck D - so that's were failed performers go to die, radio no one can hear [/B]

LOL. Janeane Garofolo has THREE films in post production right now.

I might listen just to see how she is.

Smokin Joe
04-10-2004, 21:46
In all seriousness I find these F*ckers totally offensive.

My father worked for THE REAL AIR AMERICA from 66-69. He lost a lot of good friends and people while working for them. How dare they discrace such a unit and name bye making it a radio station such as this.

Anyone have leads on a internet nuke that will kill there site?

Jimbo
04-10-2004, 23:28
Janeane Garofalo and Chuck D - so that's were failed performers go to die, radio no one can hear

Chuck D is a failed performer?

NousDefionsDoc
04-10-2004, 23:29
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
In all seriousness I find these F*ckers totally offensive.

My father worked for THE REAL AIR AMERICA from 66-69. He lost a lot of good friends and people while working for them. How dare they discrace such a unit and name bye making it a radio station such as this.

Anyone have leads on a internet nuke that will kill there site?

yeah, interesting name choice.

Jimbo
04-10-2004, 23:30
My father worked for THE REAL AIR AMERICA from 66-69.

Gimmie an address and I can get you one of the Air America hats that are being sold around here.

NousDefionsDoc
04-10-2004, 23:31
Who is Chuck D?

DoctorDoom
04-10-2004, 23:35
x

pulque
04-10-2004, 23:40
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Who is Chuck D?

Public Enemy #1

edit: ow DD beat me

Smokin Joe
04-10-2004, 23:58
The Real Deal http://www.air-america.org/

If you guys don't know what they did. You should really check out the site.

Radar Rider
04-11-2004, 00:13
In response to the original question: I must be honest and reply that I've not listened to their BS. Quite frankly, I have no intention to, either. I really give a crap if someone is liberal, but I can't really tolerate their crap for too long. Al Franken is one particularly egregious offender. He titled his supposedly popular book "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot". In and of itself an offensive title. I figure that if he had titled his book "Al Franken is a witty satirist", he'd have sold all of two or three copies. So what it comes down to is that the libs can't sell (to include their crappy radio) anything on its own merits. They must be offensive, rude and obnoxious in order to push their agenda. They claim to be "tolerant", but this nonsense proves that they're FOS. Liberal radio NEVER works, and this effort will also go in the toilet (where it belongs).

pulque
04-11-2004, 01:04

If you guys don't know what they did. You should really check out the site.

thanks Smokin Joe. The site that I had found earlier was written by a history professor (http://www.cia.gov/csi/studies/winter99-00/art7.html)

I dont know how accurate it is though.

pulque
04-11-2004, 01:14
Originally posted by Radar Rider
So what it comes down to is that the libs can't sell (to include their crappy radio) anything on its own merits. They must be offensive, rude and obnoxious in order to push their agenda. They claim to be "tolerant", but this nonsense proves that they're FOS. Liberal radio NEVER works, and this effort will also go in the toilet (where it belongs).

Al Franken maintains that god tells him what the titles of his books should be.

I can only speculate on whether or not its ironic.

Radar Rider
04-11-2004, 02:21
Originally posted by pulque
Al Franken maintains that god tells him what the titles of his books should be. Hopefully, SOON, God will tell al franken that he should just go straight to Hell.

DunbarFC
04-11-2004, 09:08
Originally posted by Jimbo
Chuck D is a failed performer?

I'd call him a has been for sure

Radar Rider
04-11-2004, 09:14
Being a "has been" implies that he was an "ever was". Never heard of him.

Jimbo
04-11-2004, 10:34
I'd call him a has been for sure

Not to turn this into a debate on the relative merits of Chuck D, but he was able to parlay an insanely successful and influential career as a rap artist into a career advocating against the power of the music industry and encouraging more participatory democracy.

Chuck D is the founder of and lead rapper for Public Enemy, which has a fan base of over twenty million people and is considered one of the pioneers of rap music. He was honored for his work with the "Rock the Vote" campaign with the Patrick Lippert Humanitarian Award and has served as a reporter for the Fox News Channel. Chuck D is the author of the book Fight the Power: Rap, Race and Reality and has appeared in the film Burn, Hollywood, Burn. He recently launched Rapstation, a portal web site for the rap industry.

and http://www.bandhunt.com/artist_site/band.php/pu001

FullGallop
04-11-2004, 14:15
Goobs like Franken and M. Moore get away with their attacks by calling it satire. In other words they can call Bush "Hitler" and compare him as such and say that it is only satire.

I havent heard the radio shows other than what has been reported on as well as a few interviews with Franken but it is nothing more than pure attacks. Nothing substantial at all. It will fail.............I loathe them!

Radar Rider
04-12-2004, 02:08
It's great for them that they get to define their own parameters. :rolleyes: They damn well know that they get away with attacking the good guys by labeling it as "satire". Perhaps I'll look into who sponsors this nonsense; even if only I participate, a boycott might help me to feel better.

Sigi
04-12-2004, 07:25
People don't get their ideas from AM radio (Rush, Hannity, etc...) As far as I can tell Air America is trying to counter the influence of the rightwing shows. What influence? You can't tell me that listening to Rush had changed people's political affiliation. And listening to Franken - like that's going to swing a voter.

I could be dead wrong. Some people are just so easy to influence.

People who listen to Rush, Hannity, Franken, Garofalo, et al., have already made up their political minds before they touch the knob. I think the liberal creators of Air America are trying to gather election year momentum among moderate voters within the party. Nothing stupid about that.

Getting people to vote who normally wouldn't by "Hitlerizing" the administration of George Bush. The more desperate they make it seem, the more people may just turn out to vote him out.

Make no mistake, that is what this is about. Franken is a dickhead who will really lay it on thick to his listeners - he is a very skilled Bush Hater.

pulque
04-13-2004, 11:06
Originally posted by Sigi
People who listen to Rush, Hannity, Franken, Garofalo, et al., have already made up their political minds before they touch the knob.

Getting people to vote who normally wouldn't by "Hitlerizing" the administration of George Bush. The more desperate they make it seem, the more people may just turn out to vote him out.

I tend to agree with Sigi. I think that people make up their political minds fairly early in life, generally speaking. There is a divide between the parties about what the issues should even be, but that divide is mostly simulacra. People who can think for themselves dont allow the parties to define their issues for them.

Conservative "celebrities" enjoy hitlerizing the liberals themselves. But they certainly don't label it as satire :rolleyes:

"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to The New York Times building."
- Ann Coulter, The New York Observer, 08-26-02

"I tell people don't kill all the liberals. Leave enough so we can have two on every campus—living fossils—so we will never forget what these people stood for."
- Rush Limbaugh, Denver Post, 12-29-95

FullGallop
04-13-2004, 15:15
I agree with what Sigi said as well. I think these radio personalities, film makers, writers etc. are cheerleaders more than anything. They give folks what they want to hear and are certainly not converting anyone.

What I was referring to mainly were things such as M Moore and "Bowling for Columbine". Once it was discovered that much of his movie was simply not factual he decided it was satire, which made it OK.

Of course conservatives demonize liberals. It just seems like they are less likely to hide behind something to do it. Anne Coulter sure doesn't. Even she spooks me at times:eek:

NousDefionsDoc
04-14-2004, 11:19
Looks like it may be falling aprt already. Apparently Los Angeles and Chicago stations dropped the show...

Gypsy
04-14-2004, 11:23
Talk radio is huge in Chicago...we don't tolerate swill. The people have spoken.

NousDefionsDoc
04-14-2004, 13:18
Statement Regarding WNTD in Chicago and KBLA in Los Angeles

Statement of Evan Cohen, Chairman of Air America Radio:

"Air America Radio is temporarily unable to be heard on WNTD in Chicago and KBLA in Los Angeles, but Chicago and Los Angeles listeners can still hear our broadcast on the web at airamericaradio.com and on XM Satellite Radio (channel 167).

"MultiCultural Radio Broadcasting's conduct in this matter has been disgraceful. To shut off a broadcast that listeners rely on without warning and in the middle of discussions is the height of irresponsibility and a slap in the face of the media industry. In addition, it is a clear violation of their contractual obligations, and we are seeking legal remedies against them in court."

LOL - they wrote hot checks to the radio stations.

DunbarFC
04-14-2004, 13:23
I wonder how they'll spin this one

And damn how bad do you have to be for a company called MultiCultural Radio Broadcasting to drop a liberal radio program ?

Gypsy
04-14-2004, 14:02
Here you go NDD...courtesy of Drudge.

http://www.drudgereport.com/

After just two weeks on the air, Air America Radio, the fledgling liberal talk-radio network featuring Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo, appears to have encountered serious cash-flow problems.

The CHICAGO TRIBUNE is developing a story, insiders tell DRUDGE, on how the network was pulled off the air this morning in Chicago and Los Angeles, the network's second- and third-largest markets, because, the owner of both stations said, the network bounced a check and owes him more than $1 million! A charge the network strongly denies...

A Chicago source familiar with the situation said a Multicultural representative showed up at WNTD's offices Wednesday morning, kicked out Air America's lone staffer overseeing the network's feed to the station from New York, switched over to a Spanish-language feed, and changed the locks on the doors...

Air America filed a complaint Wednesday in New York state Supreme Court charging Multicultural with breaching their contract and seeking an injunction to force Multicultural to restore the Air America broadcast on both stations, the TRIBUNE has learned... Developing...

DunbarFC
04-14-2004, 14:10
The trick will be to blame this on Halliburton , the Christian Right and the vast right wing conspiracy..........

Gypsy
04-14-2004, 14:13
I'm sure they're working on this as we type....:boohoo

Sigi
04-14-2004, 14:41
And damn how bad do you have to be for a company called MultiCultural Radio Broadcasting to drop a liberal radio program ?
Free enterprise at work. Maybe they thought the message would pay the bills. Oops, hey guys we might need an audience first.

The Reaper
04-14-2004, 15:24
I wonder how they'll spin this one

It is still about the bottom line.

Maybe they didn't like the numbers already?

TR

NousDefionsDoc
04-15-2004, 14:27
VIOLENCE THREAT AFTER 'AIR AMERICA' BUMP
Thurs Apr 15 2004 16:00:34 ET

Jean Heinemeyer, general manager of Multicultural's New York station, reports that the station has been flooded with calls from irate Air America listeners over the past 36 hours since the fledgling liberal radio network was taken off the air from WNTD-950 AM in Chicago and KBLA-1580 AM in Los Angeles.

Heinemeyer lashed out at an Air America "press release" in which the network was going to resolve the matter, vigilante-style, by putting a crowbar to Multicultural owner Arthur Liu's head.

"It's more than sophomoric," said Heinemeyer. "It's disgusting and frightening."

The release was removed from the site Thursday.

Roguish Lawyer
04-15-2004, 14:34
This is on their website now. What losers!

http://www.airamericaradio.com/pub/resNews.htm

The Sludge Report

After just two weeks on the air, Air America Radio, the fledgling liberal talk-radio network featuring Al Franken, Janeane Garofalo, and that really loud woman from Florida, appears to have encountered serious cash-flow problems.

Stop the presses!!! There’s nothing more exciting than half a story from a third hand source!!!!

Insiders tell SLUDGE, that the reason the network was pulled off the air this morning in Chicago and Los Angeles, the network's second- and third-largest markets, was because, the owner of both stations, Arthur Liu of Multicultural Broadcasting, said, the network bounced a check and owes him more than $1 million! The run-on sentence, tortured grammar and the exclamation point clearly means it’s true!!

Only it isn’t.

Normally we’d let this go because “habitual liars” like Drudge are laughable, and ridicule is our business.

But Arthur Liu --- not funny. He lied to us, he ripped us off and now we’re chasing him down with a pipe wrench. It’s a metaphor.

Here’s what really happened:

This Liu-ser was ripping off our boss Evan Cohen big time (he can’t do that, that’s our job). Evan found out about it and he stopped payment on a check to keep Liu-cifer from ripping him off even more. You can touch Evan for the occasional meal or drinks but a million bucks is crossing the line. And if we ever get low on cash, we can always call Barbra Streisand. Or any of the
Baldwins. Except Stephen.

So we got screwed, Liu’d, and tattooed. How Liu can you get? In Liu of payment. Liu’d and lascivious behavior. These write themselves. What we’re getting at is that we hate him.

So now everyone’s saying we’re going down the dumper in Chicago and Los Angeles, but what they don’t tell you is that we’re still on in Portland. And we OWN Portland. And let’s not forget Riverside and Plattsburgh. And New
York. And streaming on the internet. And XM. And Sirius. Actually we’re fine.

So cool your jets. Air America Radio isn’t dead, we’re in court and we’re going to slam Liu’s head in a car door. Another metaphor. We hope to be back on the air tomorrow or the next day in those markets.

In the meantime, why don’t you give Arthur a call at (212)966-1059, or check out his website www.mrbi.net

Arthur Liu, I wouldn’t show your face around here.

Or Riverside. Or Plattsburgh.

DEVELOPING……

NousDefionsDoc
04-15-2004, 14:38
Howard Dean worked the left up way more than I thought with that "Yeeeaaggghhh!" thing. First they want to stand Sec. Rumsfield up against the wall and now they want to hit people with crowbars and slam their heads in car doors? WTH? Shame they can't turn all that rage against the terrorists.

I'm not buying their story.

Roguish Lawyer
04-15-2004, 14:49
This is the complaint they filed.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0414043air1.html

The Reaper
04-15-2004, 14:53
The Sludge report struck me as more than a little racist.

Unless they want to start the Franken-stein jokes.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
04-15-2004, 14:57
Their counsel in the NY case appear to be quite low grade. Looks like a BS complaint to me. I don't believe they've made the required payments.

I find that liberals tend to be much more willing to breach agreements than conservatives.

Radar Rider
04-15-2004, 22:01
Awww, another failed liberal attempt to take to the airwaves. They couldn't even get the damn thing off the ground, and now they're going to court. Typical. What they can't win through popularity, they want to win through litigation. I think they'll be tossed on their asses.

Intruder
04-16-2004, 02:18
... He titled his supposedly popular book "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot". In and of itself an offensive title. I figure that if he had titled his book "Al Franken is a witty satirist", he'd have sold all of two or three copies. So what it comes down to is that the libs can't sell (to include their crappy radio) anything on its own merits. They must be offensive, rude and obnoxious in order to push their agenda. They claim to be "tolerant", but this nonsense proves that they're FOS.
... What they can't win through popularity, they want to win through litigation. ...
Precisely.

The rational discourse of the left: "You're Stupid!!" I happened to catch Carville promoting his book on The Daily Show (more lib BS) a few months back. :rolleyes: He gladly boasted a list in it which was a how-to on "pissing off Republicans." Do you see that fodder in ANY Coulter, Ingraham, Hannity, etc, book??

I also loved the irony from Franken when he said, "We're starting on 7 stations, which is 7 more than Limbaugh did." Aside from being bad at math, he doesn't see the irony that Rush essentially created the niche of talk radio as it stands today.... oh, and that little part where Rush didn't buy his way in...

But, think of it this way, WHEN Air America fails, at least they'll have NPR.

lrd
04-16-2004, 04:51
Nation's Gun Lobby Creating News Company
By SHARON THEIMER Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON, Apr 16, 2004 (AP Online via COMTEX) --

The National Rifle Association is creating a news corporation, starting an Internet talk show and preparing to buy a radio station to speak about candidates and gun rights at election time despite new political ad limits.

The 4 million-member gun lobby, looking for the same legal recognition as mainstream news organizations, says it has already hired its first reporter. NRANews.com was to start online broadcasts Friday.

The NRA is taking the step to operate free of political spending limits, hoping to use unlimited donations known as soft money to focus on gun issues and candidates' positions despite the law's restrictions on soft money-financed political ads close to elections.

"Someone needs to show the court and the politicians how absurd their speech gag on the American public is," Wayne LaPierre, NRA executive vice president, told The Associated Press. "This is an act of defiance. But it's also in 100 percent compliance with the law."

LaPierre said the NRA is taking several steps to become a "legitimate packager of news" like newspapers and TV networks, including hiring Cam Edwards, a conservative talk-show host from Oklahoma City.

Started with a $1 million investment, the Internet programming features news briefs in the morning and at noon, followed by a three-hour afternoon "news show/talk show" with Edwards as host.

The group is setting up an NRA news corporation, possibly for profit, to run its new media operations. It is close to acquiring a radio station that will stream video of its NRA broadcasts to the Internet, LaPierre said.

The NRA plans to own a news operation "just as Disney owns ABC, just as GE owns NBC, just as Time Warner AOL owns CNN, and be the broadcast journalist equivalent of those outlets," LaPierre said.

"Who's to say they're any more legitimate on packaging news to the American public on firearms and hunting than the National Rifle Association, when in fact we've been in the news business longer than they have in terms of packaging news on those subjects?" he asked.

LaPierre has a point, one newspaper executive said. It is up to the reader to determine whether information "is credible, reliable and objective," said Stuart Wilk, president of Associated Press Managing Editors and managing editor of the Dallas Morning News.

"I would hope that American consumers would be properly skeptical about the objectivity of a group whose stated purpose is to lobby for a specific position - in this case about gun control and gun-related legislation and activities," Wilk said.

Larry Noble, head of the Center for Responsive Politics and former lead attorney for the Federal Election Commission, said that if the NRA operation has the trappings of a press entity - such as a radio outlet - it has a strong argument that it is one.

"The law does allow news media to editorialize and do commentary. It's the reason The New York Times can endorse candidates in its editorials," Noble said. "So in one sense they are not blazing new ground, but they are going into an area that's still forming and about which regulations are still being developed."

Whether Webcasts alone would make the NRA a press entity is a harder question, Noble said. Congress and the FEC haven't dealt with the intersection of the Internet and the media, he said, "and the lines are blurring."

The NRA and several other interest groups sued unsuccessfully to strike down campaign spending limits. The law, upheld in December by the Supreme Court, bans the use of corporate and labor union money for ads targeting congressional and presidential candidates close to elections. It also bars national party committees and federal candidates from raising so-called "soft money."

The law left political activity on the Internet largely unregulated and maintained a long-standing media exemption from political advertising rules for news and entertainment programming.

Mixing news and a political agenda is nothing new, said Gordon "Mac" McKerral, national president of the Society of Professional Journalists. When the nation's press was in its infancy, newspapers were vehicles to promote political agendas.

Now, again, "it's getting awful tough, I think, for people to sort out what's supposed to be objectively reported fact and opinion," he said.

The NRA has a huge potential audience. In addition to its 4 million members, there are 16 million licensed hunters and 80 million gun owners in the United States, LaPierre said.

Radar Rider
04-16-2004, 07:16
I'll tune in. As long as if it's after Rush....:)

Roguish Lawyer
06-21-2004, 12:24
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm

Liberal Radio Network AIR AMERICA In Deep Financial Crisis
Mon Jun 21 2004 11:20:16 ET

On March 30, the night before Air America went on the air, the liberal radio network threw itself a $70,000 party at Manhattan's hip Maritime Hotel. More than 1,000 guests, including Yoko Ono and Tim Robbins, drank red, white and blue vodka cocktails as they toasted the network's bid to challenge the dominance of conservative talk radio.

But behind the scenes, Air America was running out of money.

The WALL STREET JOURNAL reports on Monday: Several employees say they still haven't been reimbursed for the costs of attending the New York launch.
Many of Air America's investors and executives say they thought the network had raised more than $30 million, based on assurances from its owners, Guam-based entrepreneurs Evan M. Cohen and Rex Sorensen.

In fact, Air America had raised only $6 million, Mr. Cohen concedes. Within six weeks of the launch, those funds had been spent and the company owed creditors more than $2 million.
When the problems came to light, 'we realized that we had all been duped,' says David Goodfriend, the company's acting chief operating officer. Messrs.

Cohen and Sorensen say they didn't mislead anyone about the company's finances. They say they planned to invest more over time but didn't because of cultural differences with other managers.

Both resigned in early May. Five months before a presidential election, Air America should be on a roll. Instead, it's grappling with a financial crisis. Creditors are lined up at the door, and it is off the air in two big markets, Los Angeles and Chicago.

Developing...

Bill Harsey
06-21-2004, 19:22
cool

tache18x
06-21-2004, 22:21
Chuck D came to speak at my school (and yes they payed my tuition money to get him) a few months back. He was completely out of hand as he essentially mirrored the rhetoric terrorists use to justify thier actions against us. He's completely nuts.