PDA

View Full Version : SHOT Show toy

Kyobanim
01-17-2007, 09:36
Disclaimer: This is a review of a weapon advertised, when used as prescribed, as ‘non-lethal’. Using this weapon to strike at the throat or head can possibly result in death.

Walking around SHOT with Gunner and x_SF-med, we came across a booth displaying the ”Hand-Shock”. Hand Shock is a light-weight piece of hard plastic that can be used as a non-lethal self-defense weapon. (Marketing details here (http://maorcenter.com/eng_sd.html)).

It can be used as a striking tool, applied to pressure points, and for blocking. (Marketing Movie here (http://www.tkdresource.com/movies/tool.wmv)). I’ve tested it out the last couple of days on students and other instructors and without trying to cause too much pain, have succeeded in alienating everyone at the school from ever partnering with me again. I used it in the same type of scenarios that are shown in the movie. I found it most effective using it on pressure points and the good thing about it is you don’t have to be accurate. If you miss your point by a couple of inches, the sharp points on the tool make up for lack of accuracy.

When grappling, I had no control problems. I could grip my opponents with the hand holding the tool and still use it as prescribed.

My hand is average size and the tool fits comfortably and doesn’t fall out when relaxed. I had several women try it out and the ones with smaller hands did have a problem controlling it in circumstances that required gripping an opponent.

The ads say that it is easy to carry, which it is, but not if you’re trying to carry it in your pocket. The movie shows the device carried in a leather clip on the belt. (picture attached).

Dimensions: Length: 14 cm. Width: 7.5 cm. Thickness: 1.5 cm. Weight: 150 gram Material: Rigid plastic

NOTE: The movie is from the guy that created this thing.

x SF med
01-17-2007, 10:21
I still have a few bruises to show that it works, thanks brother - but you are still a weenie, you skipped on the receiving end.....

Very effective, very intuitive, very easy-to-use self defense item.

Kyobanim
01-17-2007, 10:30
but you are still a weenie, you skipped on the receiving end

I'm small, not stupid :p

x SF med
01-17-2007, 10:36
I'm small, not stupid :p

Oh, and I'm 'the Rock'? You should have tried it out on Dougie and Brian - they're still in Training, not even probies yet. They would have made good crash test dummies.:rolleyes: