PDA

View Full Version : "Warrior Training" (mindset) at Airborne Museum

Leozinho
01-11-2007, 18:31
I saw a flyer at a FT Bragg gym today for a warrior mindset seminar at the Airborne and Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville. I don't know anything about it other than what I read on its website, which is vague (no instructor names, bios, etc.)

http://warriortraining.us/advertisement.html

January 2007:
Sunday, January 7th
Sunday, January 14th
Sunday, January 28th

Time: 15:00-16:30

Airborne and Special Operations Museum*
Conference Room
100 Bragg Blvd. (at Hay St.)
Fayetteville, NC
(910) 483-3003

From the website -

The “Introduction to Warrior Training” Courses are
taught by senior instructors who are trained martial
artists and ordained Buddhist monks.

All “Introduction to Warrior Training” Courses are free
to military personnel, active-duty, reserve or retired.

Although the program is uniquely designed for the
soldier, adult-aged military family and friends will not
be turned away. The course is restricted to adults
aged 18 years or older.

The “Introduction to Warrior Training” Courses have
been offered to local US Armed Forces personnel at the
Airborne and Special Operations Museum in
Fayetteville, North Carolina since the spring of 2006.

We are a MWR Approved Sponsor. Sponsorship does
not imply endorsement by the Department of Defense.

RECOMMENDED READING

The Art of War
By Sun Tzu
Translated by James Clavell

Mastering the Art of War
By Zhuge Liang and Liu Ji
Translated by Thomas Cleary

The Book of Five Rings
By Miyamoto Musashi
Translated by William Scott Wilson

The Way of Life According to Lao Tzu
By Lao Tzu
Translated by Witter Bynner

Bhagavad-Gita: The Song of God
Translated by Swami Prabhavananda and Christopher
Isherwood

Razor
01-11-2007, 19:46
I'd be interested to learn what they feel they're going to impart and have stick in 1.5 hours.

stakk4
01-12-2007, 11:31
I had gotten more info when I saw the flyer like 3 months or so ago. The instructor is a female who has xyz number of years studying martial arts. I believe she said she was never in the armed forces, IIRC. She assured me that the classes are free. She also said that there are advanced courses available for those who show aptitude and "desire."

Basically I went rucking that day instead and felt great about my decision. But who knows?

S

Kyobanim
01-12-2007, 12:20
I'd be interested to learn what they feel they're going to impart and have stick in 1.5 hours.

They will prove to you that they're system works and that's why should should pay the fee to take regular classes.

Just another sample class or exhibition. It's a standard marketing technique of martial arts schools. Been there done that and I printed the tee shirts.

Warrior-Mentor
01-12-2007, 15:01
Wwhen the about us doesn't list who (by name) AND THEIR QUALS...I GET SUSPICIOUS.

stakk4
01-14-2007, 08:26
Kyo:

I am curious though why it was billed as warrior mindset training as opposed to martial arts training or (insert random system here) training. Did you do the same?

Kyobanim
01-14-2007, 09:40
They are advertising for the venue. You don't go into an elementary school and advertise warrior mindset just like you wouldn't go to this one and advertise self defense for women.

I go out with my instructor to schools. He advertises "bully proof your child" which translates into "how not to get your kids ass kicked".

IMO, this event is kind of stupid to host on a military base. Even if it has the dissclaimers on it.

Dan
01-14-2007, 10:09
IMO, this event is kind of stupid to host on a military base. Even if it has the dissclaimers on it.

The Airborne and Special Operations Museum is an off-post museum and this appears to be a completely civilian driven event like those you mentioned as marketing technique.

snowy
01-25-2007, 18:20
I'm a bit late to the table on this one but this sounds like the Strozzi-Heckler SF "Warrior Spirit" program taught in the late 80's.
This particular program was requested by Jack Cirie.
Aikido, meditation and bio-feedback were some of the items on the agenda. I'm about half way through the book now.

-snowy