PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla?

Roland424
01-06-2007, 22:50
I've read quite a few news reports and read in some books (ex. Pelton's books) of "vanilla" special forces(Green Berets) and "blackside" or "black" special forces. Basically, I am just curious if this is another stupid media buzzword, a seperate unit, or some mission distinction (or should I not be asking this?). Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Roland

NousDefionsDoc
01-06-2007, 23:18
A

Have a nice day.

Team Sergeant
01-07-2007, 08:56
I was assigned to an SF unit in the early 80's and I've never heard anyone mention "vanilla" when referring to Special Forces personnel.

Every US Army Special Forces Group, battalion, company, and A-Team I'm aware of is assigned "classified" missions.

Team Sergeant

Warrior-Mentor
01-07-2007, 09:28
"I've always wondered about the chocolate SOF.
I mean, who doesn't like chocolate more than vanilla?" :rolleyes:

Kyobanim
01-07-2007, 09:35
What ever happened to neopolitan?

7624U
01-07-2007, 09:37
"I've always wondered about the chocolate SOF.
I mean, who doesn't like chocolate more than vanilla?" :rolleyes:

Swirl is the best you get both.:munchin

lksteve
01-07-2007, 09:54
i was thinking more along the line of Rocky Road...

MtnGoat
01-07-2007, 09:57
Maybe this is more of a racial diversity within Special Force that makes or has us named a vanilla or chocolate. I really love the whole Ebony and Ivory look that comes from that. :D

I have a team that had 3x European Americans, 2x African American, 1x American Indian, 2x American Hispanic, 1x American Asian, and 1x American Mutt. Ebony and Ivory ODAs I really haven’t heard of them, just good and bad ODAs that’s it.

Huh second post and you want to ask about ODAs and their mission. Read the stickies and look around some more. Use the search button in the top right of any page it will help you out here.

VG

Warrior-Mentor
01-07-2007, 10:01
Hey Goat...sounds like you're on a RAINBOW Team...

I really love the whole Ebony and Ivory look that comes from that. :D

I always thought of you as more of a "We are the World" kind of guy...

7624U
01-07-2007, 10:19
Hey Goat...sounds like you're on a RAINBOW Team...

I always thought of you as more of a "We are the World" kind of guy...

Goat can be the TS of the broke back mountain team. :D j/k bro how is your deployment going

Warrior-Mentor
01-07-2007, 10:22
Goat can be the TS of the broke back mountain team. :D j/k bro how is your deployment going

Ouch! :munchin

MtnGoat
01-07-2007, 10:40
Wait we go from a vanilla or chocolate to racial diversity to RAINBOW within Special Force man do we have a running for Gen. Shalikashvili Broke back mountain team!?!? HahHA I think I need to start listen to some XM Radio and find some Euro Techno Music for where this is going.

RAINBOW LMAO and making my night better, the D is going good 7624U. THX

Snaquebite
01-07-2007, 11:41
i was thinking more along the line of Rocky Road...

Damn...beat me to it....:)

x SF med
01-07-2007, 15:57
I vote for butter Pecan teams!

BlackDragon0311
01-08-2007, 20:14
Admin Edit: Yes, you are annoying me. He was already given all the answer he is ever going to get here. We do not deal in hearsay or books written by people that use terms like "vanilla" to describe us. One is either SF or one is not. We do not come in flavors. And WTF does the Navy have to do with Special Forces? Now, back in your lane Marine - Pushups: GO! - NDD

Team Sergeant
01-08-2007, 20:21
i'm in no way SF as i've already stated, but I figure I mine as well throw in my two cents from what i've read in books and so forth, if i'm wrong or annoying anyone with this response then I appolagize. I've heard that lil sorta thing before, vanilla referring to regular SF and black referring to units like Delta and Dev. Group, there done and said.....and for the record, rocky road beats it all hands down!

Guess you've not done a whole lot of reading. SF or Special Forces has no white or black side.

Also for your information, SGM eric haney was NEVER in Army Special Forces. SGM eric haney was a Ranger, thats it. Much of what he puts on TV, and writes in books is pure bullshit.

Learn to use proper English or post else where. This is not a request.

Team Sergeant

Five-O
01-08-2007, 20:26
Lets see, what's that first rule of hole digging again??? :rolleyes:

The Reaper
01-08-2007, 21:07
i'm in no way SF as i've already stated, but I figure I mine as well throw in my two cents from what i've read in books and so forth, if i'm wrong or annoying anyone with this response then I appolagize. I've heard that lil sorta thing before, vanilla referring to regular SF and black referring to units like Delta and Dev. Group, there done and said.....and for the record, rocky road beats it all hands down!

Thanks for clearing that up and providing your expertise to us.:rolleyes:

TR

x SF med
01-08-2007, 22:25
Admin Edit: Yes, you are annoying me. He was already given all the answer he is ever going to get here. We do not deal in hearsay or books written by people that use terms like "vanilla" to describe us. One is either SF or one is not. We do not come in flavors. And WTF does the Navy have to do with Special Forces? Now, back in your lane Marine - Pushups: GO! - NDD

Blackdragon-
You did not want to do that, not ever, no way. My Brother Medic does own a pointy stick with a rusty nail in the end, and will use it, just to be able to give you a tetanus shot.