PDA

View Full Version : Boot Repair Question

SSG Garcia
01-06-2007, 21:50
6 miles into my last 10 miler I spent a good 20 min. tearing the heel cup out of my left boot, the liner from the front of my right and two days later I'm pulled over again pulling a toe cup out of my left boot on my other set. Never had two sets of boots die like that at basically the same time but theres a first for everything. I'm looking for some advice on whether I should take them in and see if they can be fixed or should I just buy another couple pairs. Only issue I have is that my fat butt can't afford any down time as I prepare for SFAS. If I can fix them does anyone know anywhere around Campbell that will do a good job. Thanks for the help.

:confused:

Garcia

hotshot
01-06-2007, 22:08
What type of boots are you using?

SSG Garcia
01-06-2007, 22:15
I'm using a set of the OIF 1 issue desert jungles and a set of the newer ones from Bellville.

SRT31B
01-07-2007, 07:08
Theres a small shop right outside gate 4 next to US Cav. Pretty sure that guy can do it. If not, check next to UPS and GNC (where the PXtra used to be) at that boot shop.

hotshot
01-07-2007, 08:45
Sounds to me like the boots that you have now especially those OIF I issue boots need to be replaced. If I remember right, I wore out somewhere around 4 or 5 pairs of those things in the year + that I was over there.

Having good serviceable equipment that you can depend on is important. Depending on time constraints, I would recommend buying some new wellco or belleville black jungles with the tuffcushion sole. If you don't have the time to break in more boots, maybe you can find some good used boots that are already broken in at your local surplus store. The key here is to make sure that your boots fit properly.

Do some searching on here, I have seen many other threads on boots, and proper fit of boots, etc...

Feel free to PM me, or any of the other candidates with any further questions.

Warrior-Mentor
01-07-2007, 08:54
G-Man:

Tearing out the toe & heel cups is a field expedient method designed for when boot repair or replacement is not an option (like at Camp Mackall during SFAS).

You need to start SFAS with 2-3 pair of well broken in (but not damaged) boots. Otherwise you're starting the Indy 500 with plugs in your tires.

Get 2 new sets today. Wear one of them non-stop around the house/town (until it starts to rub or cause problems).
Continue your long rucks with the boots you've been rucking with until the new ones are broken in.

Personally, I like Belville's version of the Desrt Jungle. Mine broke in in no time.

Also, consider the boot insert you are using. If you have a standard (or cheap flat) insert, it doesn't cup your foot the same as a good one will. SOF Soles are good if you can find them. I also like the inserts used by Dean Kanazes for his ultra marathons (regular SOF Tec version). I've seen them at clothing sales for about $25, commercially for about $45-50.
http://www.yoursole.com/cgi-bin/edge/splash_buy_now?product_category=DK

JM