PDA

View Full Version : CAPS LOCK

Warrior-Mentor
01-04-2007, 04:39
Something's going on...2nd time this week...computer goes into a "modified CAPS LOCK." Can change letters upper and lower, but all the numbers/symbols keys are stuck in CAPS LOCk...so I can't type my address, phone number, etc...

It seems to start, stop on it's own...I must be hitting a series of keys without realizing it, but I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

x SF med
01-04-2007, 10:01
Maj M-
Have you run Norton or a similar product lately? You might have a virus.... Check it out, quick. Odd things like that are a pretty good sign.

Sionnach
01-04-2007, 12:02
Usually, if you notice both caps and symbols instead of numbers appearing, you have a stuck Shift key. If you have CAPSLOCK on, plus a stuck shift key, you will see some really weird things similar to what you are describing.

It's happened to me a few times. You can try cleaning it out with canned air. If it keeps happening, you may have worn out your keyboard.

112thSOLCA
01-04-2007, 12:40
WM - I purchased new HP Pavilion about two months ago.

I have experienced the exact same problem on this machine. I believe it has something to do with accidentally hitting the touchpad while typing (like with the base of my hand).

First few times it happened it was cured by a restart. However, I have since figured out that hitting the shift key instantly solves the problem.

If I ever have a few minutes of down time for some leisurely reading, I might just dig into the books and try to fully understand and resolve the problem.... NOT.

incommin
01-04-2007, 13:19
Geee, I thought this thread was going to be about old smoke poles!

Jim

Warrior-Mentor
01-04-2007, 18:39
WM - I purchased new HP Pavilion about two months ago.

I have experienced the exact same problem on this machine. I believe it has something to do with accidentally hitting the touchpad while typing (like with the base of my hand).

First few times it happened it was cured by a restart. However, I have since figured out that hitting the shift key instantly solves the problem.

If I ever have a few minutes of down time for some leisurely reading, I might just dig into the books and try to fully understand and resolve the problem.... NOT.

I have an HP Pavillion. Sounds like the same thing.

Thanks!