PDA

View Full Version : Hawaian Stryker LT rejects going to Iraq

hoot72
01-03-2007, 23:53
Its extremely disappointing when an individual does this. Why sign up and pledge your loyalty and then end up not wanting to go somewhere just because of one's political or personal beliefs? I am sure there are those serving who dont always agree with the governments decisions but you dont see them turning tail and running.

Kevin sites as usual, hyping it up.

Conscientious Rejector?

First Lieutenant Ehren Watada still refuses Iraq deployment orders, calling the war illegal. A six-year prison term could result. Preliminary hearings are set for Thursday.
By the Hot Zone Team, Tue Jan 2, 6:38 PM ETEmail Story IM Story
First Lt. Ehren Watada, a 28-year-old Hawaii native, is the first commissioned officer in the U.S. to publicly refuse deployment to Iraq. He announced last June his decision not to deploy on the grounds the war is illegal.

Lt. Watada was based at Fort Lewis, Washington, with the Army's 3rd (Stryker) Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. He has remained on base, thus avoiding charges of desertion.

He does, however, face one count of "missing troop movement" and four counts of "conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman." If convicted, he faces up to six years in prison.

First Lt. Ehren Watada
Photo courtesy:
Jeff Paterson/thankyoult.org

Watada's court martial is on February 5. A pre-trial hearing is set for January 4, with an added scope of controversy: the Army has ordered two freelance journalists, Sarah Olson and Dahr Jamail, to testify against Lt. Watada at the hearing. Both journalists are fighting the subpoenas.

Kevin Sites recently spoke with Lt. Watada about the reasoning behind his decision, the controversy the decision has caused and how he is dealing with the repercussions.

Full article here: http://hotzone.yahoo.com/b/hotzone/blogs19056

rubberneck
01-04-2007, 08:52
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11044&highlight=watada

Personally, given his fathers background it seems likely in my mind that Lt Watada joined the military with the express purpose of stirring things up, which he had managed to do to some degree.

stakk4
01-04-2007, 09:04
I wish they could retroactively recoup every dime he's gotten from Uncle Sam, then let him do his 6 year prison stint at Abu Ghraib cleaning toilets. Dang, and I started off in such a good mood.

I mean, isn't this fraudulent in a way? I'm no lawyer.