PDA

View Full Version : NIB Pistol Report

Noslack71
01-01-2007, 21:42
I had the opportunity this past week to shot 3 pistols all New out of the box.

#1.) Colt 1911 WWI Reproduction: This pistol felt a little odd at first since it did not rattle. I put 100 rounds of Blazer (CCI) 230 gr. ball amunition through it and it operated perfectly. All the shooting was from a standing, unsupported stance. Pistol shot well, I had fair groups out to 75' and, the only problem was my lack of practice. The sights are WWI vintage, it took me a magazine to get used to those sights. It seemed to take an eternity to reaquire the sight picture after letting three go in a rapid fire string. Out of the box, this is a very good pistol. It has a very comfortable feel and while it may take a while to be a bullseye shooter, I did not hve any flyers and, all 100 rounds went through some portion of the silhouette. That was probably pure luck and the comfort I felt with the 1911.

#2.) Thunder Ranch 22-4 .45acp: This revolver had an extremly tight/heavy trigger pull. I would guess somewhere around 8lbs +. The front sights are the dark blue half moon variety. The pistol performed very well in both the double action and single action modes. The 4" barrel kicks up a bit and, it takes some concentration to bring it back down to a decent sight picture when in the rapid fire, double action mode. The heavy trigger and my lack of practice all combined to make me want to run another 1000 rounds through this pistol. That may lighten the trigger a bit and hopefully it would improve my use of this pistol. At approx. 50 ' the strike of the round seems to fall about two inches or more for every 5' of additional range. That is strictly an eyeball SWAG. The single action mode had a very crisp trigger and, it was easy to aquire a decent sight picture and shot group during aimed fire. I was thinking of either orange or white chalk or day glo paint on the side of the front sight nearest the shooter to provide a little more contrast. If one of you have another suggestion as to achieving the goal of an easier to aquire front sight post I would be most grateful. The trigger seemed to lighten a bit at the end of 100 rounds but, I cannot be sure. S&W did add the little, internal key lock. The clips must be used with this pistol otherwise, ejecting the empty casings is time consuming. S&W did include the internal key lock on this model which, seems to have been designed by a liberal gun control engineer rather than a shooter. The gun can be easily concealed, great reliability and stopping power. It would make a great car, truck or home defense pistol. I did have a few flyers with this pistol but, that is purely my lack of practice

#3.) Browning High Power .40 cal: This was very nice straight out of the box. It obviously had the most modern sights and, that was a major difference. Having 10 rounds is nice, this is my first experience with the .40 cal and, I do not have enough experience or knowledge to make an informed opinion about the round. The pistol ran the 165 gr FMJ flawlessly and, came back on target very quickly. The trigger seemed to have about an 1/8th " of slack in it. I do not not if this is normal for Brownings or not. I sure do like the way it feels, it seemed a natural extension of my arm. Very good shot groups. They did seem to cluster a little low and to the left of my aim point but, I suspect this is my trigger control rather than the pistol. This pistol has a safety feature that requires a magazine (empty or loaded be inserted in the weapon before the hammer can be lowered. I am not a fan of this feature.

It was a pleasure to shoot each of these pistols.

Range Report: I used the NRAHQ range outside of Wash DC for shooting the pistols mentioned above. The range opens at 0830 Sat & Sun. and has different hours during the week. If you go online to HRAHQ.com and look under range services you will find the hours for that particular week. The schedule only goes out one month at a time. I normally get there at 0815 on Sundays. The range does not seem to fill up until church services are over on Sundays around 1100. The range is 100 meters indoor with a good automated/programmable target set-up. I beleive you can shoot up to na .300Win Mag on the range. If you are a NRA member, range fees are $12 hr. You can bring your own ammo. If you purchase ammo there it seems quite a bit cheaper than PX prices. Paper targets are $1 for three. They provide hearing protection and staplers. Some of the folks show up with some very interesting weapons, suppressors, automatic weapons and just about every kind of add on one could buy. I am just guessing but it looks like a very few of them have any kind of military,LEO or security training. Their mantra seems to be he who shoots the most bullets survives. May be something to that. A lot of these folks go through ammunition like there is no tommorrow and no particular target. This has certainly opened up my eyes to being in this metropolitan area. It is a very interesting show. Afterwards take time and go through the firearms museum. Happy New Year and Be Safe!

Noslack

Peregrino
01-01-2007, 22:31
Thanks for the report. I've always wanted to check out the NRA range. Not sure I want to transport from here to there though. I definately want to see the museum. A couple comments:

Try fingernail polish to experiment with contrasts for the front sight of the revolver. It's cheap, reasonably durable, and easy to apply/remove if you don't like it. Your other half may even have a useable color laying around the house somewhere. If you decide you like hi-vis sights then you can check out Brownells for the pro products. FWIW - the simplest trigger job on a Smith revolver is to dry fire it. Lots of times. The smoothest triggers I've seen (that weren't the work of a custom smith) were on older LEO revolvers with years of service. The bluing wears off, the trigger wears in, and the revolver never seems to wear out. (Caveat - beat cop revolvers. Always carried, never used.)

The Brownings almost always have that 1/8" slack in the trigger. It has to do with the design. Once I've fired mine a bit I get used to it again and it doesn't bother me.

Peregrino

Noslack71
01-02-2007, 07:32
Peregrino:
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I will definitly give the nail polish a try, probably on the 1911 as well.

Noslack

rubberneck
01-02-2007, 07:48
Browning High Power .40 cal: This was very nice straight out of the box. It obviously had the most modern sights and, that was a major difference. Having 10 rounds is nice, this is my first experience with the .40 cal and, I do not have enough experience or knowledge to make an informed opinion about the round. The pistol ran the 165 gr FMJ flawlessly and, came back on target very quickly. The trigger seemed to have about an 1/8th " of slack in it. I do not not if this is normal for Brownings or not. I sure do like the way it feels, it seemed a natural extension of my arm. Very good shot groups. They did seem to cluster a little low and to the left of my aim point but, I suspect this is my trigger control rather than the pistol. This pistol has a safety feature that requires a magazine (empty or loaded be inserted in the weapon before the hammer can be lowered. I am not a fan of this feature.

I have a Browning P-35 in 9MM from Novak's and an FN P-35 in 40 S&W. My experience with both guns was that they were pretty accurate out of the box. I don't like the factory sights so the Novak one has Novaks sights, obviously and the FN is currently with Don Williams at the Action Works having Heinies installed and an action job.

The real failing of the Hi-power family is that god awful trigger that comes from the factory which is caused in part by that idiotic magazine disconnect. The magazine disconnect is the first thing that came out of the gun for me for two reasons. The first is that when a mag is inserted the mag disconnect applies pressure to the rear of the trigger causing a noticeably heavier trigger pull. The second, and more important, reason is that while it applies pressure to the trigger it also applies pressure to the magazine at the same time. That is why the new Hi-Power mags have that tiny spring just above the base pad. Without it the mag disconnect will prevent the mags from dropping free and I don't feel comfortable trusting that little spring to do it's job all the time.

Both of my guns weighed in at more than 8 pounds out of the box, felt fairly gritty and had a good deal of pre travel, over travel and a long reset. The good news is that a good Hi-Power smith can get you safely to 4 pounds and silky smooth while shortening the length of the pull and doing away with the over travel and much of the pre travel. While it will never be as good as a good 1911 trigger it still really nice and as you pointed out the Hi-Powers have always felt right in my hands.