PDA

View Full Version : Nothing is ever easy

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 18:33
I often hear people complaining about the money expats make when they live overseas. Well, there's a reason for it.

The other day, I sat down with my HSLD Emerson CQC 7 (waveless) in my pocket and the pocket clip got caught on the chair. It bent it out a little and the knife doesn't ride tight in my pocket anymore. I tried to 18B it with the clip still on the knife, but no room to work. So I have to take the clip off to bend it back.

This clip is held on to the knife by way of three tiny screws, notorious for backing out and becoming lost. So before I take them out, experience has taught me to be sure I have locktite available to put them back.

How long would it take you guys to get a bottle of locktite in the States? Would you know where to go? Would the people at the store know what you are talking about?

Well, it took me two hours. I still haven't found anybody that knows what it is and I still don't have locktite. I have a locally made substitute called "Pega Tornillos" literally - "Screw Sticker".

Based on my other local product experiences - 100 MPH tape is actually 99 or 98 MPH tape. 550 cord is actually 549 cord, etc.

This crap had better work, because it would be a major military operation for me to send the knife back to Ernest to get the screws replaced or get the screws down here (in which case the problem would continue, as I would still only have "Pega Tornillo").

We earn every penny we get, I assure you. It really makes you appreciate the States, as Mr. Harsey has said.

This is also a good reason to buy quality when you buy. Because brothers, you are stuck with it, as is, forever.

I won't even go into the Copenhagen Tragedies.

Roguish Lawyer
04-08-2004, 18:45
:boohoo

Ambush Master
04-08-2004, 19:00
NDD, you forgot the #1 SF Prime Directive.
NOTHING DIFFICULT IS EVER EASY !!!

Clean both the screw and the handle with a good de-greaser, Alcohol will work. Then get some Clear Fingernail Polish and dip the threads of the screw into it and put it back together!! (Let dry!)

Simple as that. Then PM me with your addy and I'll launch some Loctite in your direction !! COORDINATES REQUIRED !!:D

Later
Martin

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 19:15
RL - is assault really a crime?

AM - that's the thing, you can't amil anything down here. They steal everything that is mailed. I'll be all right, I just needed to rant and rave a little bit. Thanks for the offer.

The funny thing was, I went with The Kid, so of course there was a toy involved. So we're checking out and I'm watching this young man at the register. It was truly amazing. He did one thing at a time and only one thing. He would ring up each item, then fold each item, then place each item in the bag, then tear off the receipt from the register, have the customer sign, then place each item in the basket.

Over and over again, just like they trained him to do. It never once occurred to him to do things in a different, more efficient manner. Like give the customer the receipt so they could be signing while he put the items in the bag.

Amazing. I was going to check for respirations, but then I saw his chest moving. And since he was standing, I'll go out on a limb and say he had a pulse. 20 years-old and brain dead as can be. Mouth breather with an attitude.

Roguish Lawyer
04-08-2004, 19:22
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
RL - is assasult really a crime?

:confused:

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 19:50
NDD, Advice about nail polish is good. Also, I know Ernie E. and can find out screw size if you lose any, will replace as needed. Sorry about the problem with getting any Loctite at your location. I'm willing to test my skills and see if I can get it in country if needed. I'm trickier than Reaper thinks. Signed, "little billy jr".

DunbarFC
04-08-2004, 19:53
The funny thing was, I went with The Kid, so of course there was a toy involved. So we're checking out and I'm watching this young man at the register. It was truly amazing. He did one thing at a time and only one thing. He would ring up each item, then fold each item, then place each item in the bag, then tear off the receipt from the register, have the customer sign, then place each item in the basket.

Over and over again, just like they trained him to do. It never once occurred to him to do things in a different, more efficient manner. Like give the customer the receipt so they could be signing while he put the items in the bag.

Amazing. I was going to check for respirations, but then I saw his chest moving. And since he was standing, I'll go out on a limb and say he had a pulse. 20 years-old and brain dead as can be. Mouth breather with an attitude.

That sounds a lot like the States these days

A trip to Stop and Shop is more like a trip to stop and hope the mutant can manage to figure out on his own that those are cucumbers not hot dogs in the bag in front of him

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 19:53
Thank you Mr. Harsey. I have heard that the screws have made it in the past, something about taped to the handle of a Harsey Smatchet...:munchin

Ambush Master
04-08-2004, 19:55
Hell, I could be on a flight tomorrow, but I just renewed my Passport. This sounds like a good reason (excuse) to have to boogie on down. Bogata right ???

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 19:57
ok, with Ambush Master on the job here I can quit and go drink beer. He's exactly correct about the de-greasing and use of nail polish. The degreasing step is critical. Use a cue tip to both apply and clean. If I may be so bold as to offer one more suggestion that someone who watches "Queer eye for the Straight Guy" might know about, nail polish remover is mostly acetone and that stuff works great for degreasing. I have no idea why a knifemaker would know this...

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 20:01
Smatchet??? I think I've heard of that somewhere...

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 20:02
Originally posted by Ambush Master
Hell, I could be on a flight tomorrow, but I just renewed my Passport. This sounds like a good reason (excuse) to have to boogie on down. Bogata right ???

All of you guys are more than welcome any time. Hell, I can probably even arrange fireworks if you give me 15 minutes notice.:D

Sacamuelas
04-08-2004, 20:04
Thank you Mr. Harsey. I have heard that the screws have made it in the past, something about taped to the handle of a Harsey Smatchet..

I read someone that those Smatchets are the thing at SFAS. I saw a post where TR said that it really tells the cadre you are a serious "operator" type if you show up with one in your kit verses the standard packing list.

OF course the special "airline pilot" type guys go one up and use that SF hatchet thing I read about once on Socnet. AS we all know, you must have Omega clearance to even purchase one of those though. Never seen one myself... :munchin

(Not really dogging on the Smatchet Mr. Harsey..its a old joke from another board. )

Did someone say Smatchet?

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 20:06
Sir, Would that be "Survivable" fireworks?

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 20:09
Dear jawbuster, That pic is of the Boker Smatchet? I probably should know, I made the prototype used for production model.

The Reaper
04-08-2004, 20:09
1) The advice from AM is great, I was going to post the nail polish trick myself. Just steal any color your better half has if you cannot get clear.

2) You need any parts from Emerson, let me know, I have a couple of contacts there myself.

3) Loc-Tite will accompany the next thing I send you. You want Red, Blue, or Green?

4) Anybody starts making custom Smatchets here, I want in on the deal.

HTH,

TR

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 20:10
Mr. Harsey, on a long enough timeline, everybody's survivability rate drops to zero (except Team Sergeants).

If we're not living on the edge, we're takin' up too much space, besides, do you want to live forever? :lifter

Sacamuelas,
Smatchets are really good for use on dentists. You make fun of the Smatchet, you misspelled Mr. Harsey's name, you make fun of the 18Xers.

I'm not sure even I can save you this time. Molar Mechanic.

Sacamuelas
04-08-2004, 20:12
Yes Sir, Mr. Harsey. I read that in one of the past threads I think.
That is why I included the disclaimer. I am sure it is a fine piece of equipment. :lifter

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 20:15
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Yes Sir, Mr. Harsey. I read that in one of the past threads I think.
That is why I included the disclaimer. I am sure it is a fine piece of equipment.

Weak shit for this late in the game. You're going to have to kiss waaaaay more ass than that to get back in.:munchin

Ambush Master
Originally posted by The Reaper
1) The advice from AM is great, I was going to post the nail polish trick myself. Just steal any color your better half has if you cannot get clear.

2) You need any parts from Emerson, let me know, I have a couple of contacts there myself.

3) Loc-Tite will accompany the next thing I send you. You want Red, Blue, or Green?

4) Anybody starts making custom Smatchets here, I want in on the deal.

HTH,

TR

I see a new Thread in the "Kit" Forum !! (Or should it go into the Comedy realm ??) We need to "Design the THING " !!!

Take Care
Martin

Sacamuelas
NDD-
Quit misquoting me. I am starting to feel like Dr. Rice with all this misinterpretation and misconstruing of my words and intentions. :D

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 20:17
NDD, I wasn't worried about surviving personally, just calculating odds of getting the Loctite to you. Yes I noticed someone didn't spell my name right and furthered a comment about one of the most difficult knives I've ever made...hmmm.

Sacamuelas
04-08-2004, 20:18
Weak shit for this late in the game. You're going to have to kiss waaaaay more ass than that to get back in

LOL

I posted that before I even saw your post. I know Bill Harsey understands my intentions and if not, I am more than willing and capable to prove myself to him by eating a few ashtrays full of ashes with a shot of beer. :D LOL

Sacamuelas
04-08-2004, 20:20
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
NDD, I wasn't worried about surviving personally, just calculating odds of getting the Loctite to you. Yes I noticed someone didn't spell my name right and furthered a comment about one of the most difficult knives I've ever made...hmmm.

Ahh.. there you go. All peaceful and quiet until the jawbreaker gets caught in the mix... then its sharpen the smatchet and start choppin at my kness aye lumberjack? LOL:munchin

The Reaper
04-08-2004, 20:20
Sacamuelas,
Smatchets are really good for use on dentists. You make fun of the Smatchet, you misspelled Mr. Harsey's name, you make fun of the 18Xers.

I'm not sure even I can save you this time. Molar Mechanic.

Oh no!

I wonder if he has a package screening facility?

If he does, we could always make an office call....

Mr. Harsey, are you offended by our resident dentist?

TR

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 20:23
furthered a comment about one of the most difficult knives I've ever made...hmmm.

Sounds like El Maestro has opened negotiations. LOL

Boss, I say we send the Molar Mechanic a Caterpillar Cap and call D9?

The Reaper
04-08-2004, 20:26
Sounds like El Maestro has opened negotiations. LOL

Boss, I say we send the Molar Mechanic a Caterpillar Cap and call D9?

Concur on both counts.

Mr. Harsey, is it so difficult that no amount of beer and vulgar entertainment would convince you to try again?

We will travel, for hardware. SF guys love road trips!

TR

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 20:27
I don't need to be building up any "bad dentist " karma here. Might have a tooth or two to be worked on someday. When I'm extra mean I use a Loctite locker for pins and shafts that is harder to undo than Red. This is for my customers who have to undo things just to see what's inside instead of doing any real repair/maintenance work.

The Reaper
04-08-2004, 20:30
I don't need to be building up any "bad dentist " karma here. Might have a tooth or two to be worked on someday. When I'm extra mean I use a Loctite locker for pins and shafts that is harder to undo than Red. This is for my customers who have to undo things just to see what's inside instead of doing any real repair/maintenance work.

No need to get you hands dirty with the riff-raff, Sir.

We can take care of the Dyslexic Dentist while you are sketching out a couple of the Smatchets.

Meet you with the evidence, if you care to see it.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 20:31

LOL - Don't like home surgery on your works of art?

You guys are killing me. I can see Molar Mechanic with a Smatchet and a screw driver - "DAMN! I went to years of dental school. I'm competent with a handgun! What happened?"

I haven't laughed this hard in DAYS!

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 20:31
Laughing so hard I might puke up the dinner I haven't eaten yet Will re-read the posts and respond accordingly.

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 20:37
Mr. Harsey,
I can see how the Smatchet could be problematic. The grind is no doubt difficult, leading to nicks and cuts on hands, etc. But have no fear, we can work something out. Despite my undeserved reputation to the contrary, I am more than competent at treating trauma. Not on Doc T's level by any means, but Reaper and IMUA can testify.

AND, I have an assistant which I will assign to stand beside you every step of the way. Meet Colombia's greatest natural resource!

NDD's Nurse (http://www.sofiavergara.com/)

Sacamuelas
04-08-2004, 20:39
I don't need to be building up any "bad dentist " karma here. Might have a tooth or two to be worked on someday. .

Thank you Blademaster!! LOL You have grown wise in your ways Obi-one. I defer to the blade for guidance. may it cut swiftly and cleanly and deliver me . :eek: LOL

and no, this is NOT ME. haha

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 20:40
NDD, Unscheduled surgery on my work causes a severe allergic reaction to the knifemaker.

Surgicalcric
04-08-2004, 20:40
Damn! I would not have minded surgery if the anesthesiologists looked like that...

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 20:42
NDD, Unscheduled surgery on my work causes a severe allergic reaction to the knifemaker.

Yes sir, she cause the same reaction in me. Did you click the link where it says "NDD's Nurse"?

Are we Smatcheting? LOL

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 20:42
Ok, I got behind the power curve here, I've seen NDD's nurse, where do I inflict the wound? How deep to keep her around?

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 20:43
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
Damn! I would not have minded surgery if the anesthesiologists looked like that...

They do look that in the Old World...no wait..the New World...no..My World!

DunbarFC
04-08-2004, 20:43
I'd even grow to like grits just to breathe the same air as NDD's nurse

Sacamuelas
04-08-2004, 20:45
NDD.. I would be sick all the time if that is your home health nurse.

Very nice website.

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 20:46
Ok, I got behind the power curve here, I've seen NDD's nurse, where do I inflict the wound? How deep to keep her around?

One to one trade for two Smatchets, but you explain the new hire to Household 6 your position. I've heard stories...LOL

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 20:49
She supports Peace and Hope - our version of "I wish for world peace." LOL

She's a philanthr...a philanfr...SHE'S PURTY!

The Reaper
04-08-2004, 20:49

Bill:

I hate to tell you, but NDD and I were on the biggest team of tinkerers you ever met.

Anything he gets will be completely disassembled into its molecular particles and reassembled within hours of receipt.

The Junior Engineer was the worst. He mould take it down to sub-atomic particles, and a couple of things were lost when the time decay caused them to disappear before they could be reassembled.

When I was two years old, my parents let me play on my Uncle's back porch with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. My Dad saw me looking at the lawnmower, and warned me, but my Uncle said, "Aw, leave the little feller alone, he can't hurt anything."

When they came back out less than 15 minutes later (because it was a little too quiet), I toddled over to my Uncle and handed him the carburetor. My Dad just laughed and said "That's my boy!"

Unc claimed that it took him almost two hours to reassemble it (I had not learned to keep the fasteners and loose parts in a coffee can yet).

TR

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 20:52
You guys quit bugging me, I'm still back there reviewing Sofia's medical credentials.

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 20:55
You guys quit bugging me, I'm still back there reviewing Sofia's medical credentials.

Haha! GOTCHA! When ya comin' down. Continental has a direct out of Houston daily. And Omega flies out of Atlanta. I'll send the nurse to pick you up wearing a chauffer's cap.

I don't know what's wrong with Reaper, but I promise I won't take my Smatchet apart...

for at least 72 hours.:D

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 21:01
My nurse hasn't always been around. Before there was Sofia, there was PAULA ANDREA! All hail the Paisa!

Before Sofia (http://www.geocities.com/dialbj2/paula.html)

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 21:02
no problem. will not put any loctite on any smatchet part, in fact will provide extra screws and handle parts. Will sort out how to explain to my wife new hire. Shouldn't be any problem, I married a circuit court judges daughter, she's real open minded about anything except things like, let me think, uh oh yeah, her husband and stuff.

Bill Harsey
04-08-2004, 21:07
Sirs! Out here for the evening, must figure out how to explain stuff to wife who's been looking over my shoulder for the last 20 minutes.

The Reaper
04-08-2004, 21:08
no problem. will not put any loctite on any smatchet part, in fact will provide extra screws and handle parts. Will sort out how to explain to my wife new hire. Shouldn't be any problem, I married a circuit court judges daughter, she's real open minded about anything except things like, let me think, uh oh yeah, her husband and stuff.

NDD:

Sounds like a done deal for the Smatchets then. Thank you Mr. Harsey. Maybe the wife and kids need a TDY trip while you entertain foreign business guests?

BTW, NDD, you send Sofia to El Dorado in nothing but a chauffeur's hat, I think she is going to draw attention, even in that zoo.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 21:10
LOL - no doubt she would Boss,

I'm out too, The Kid has some new Kung Fu thing with a 6' pole he wants to show me, so I have to go find my mouthguard and helmet.

'Night folks.

Sacamuelas
04-08-2004, 21:15
Good night all....

Found my copy of the official Omega clearance badge and gonna spend the rest of my evening reading about smatchets!!! LOL

The Reaper
04-08-2004, 21:32
LOL - no doubt she would Boss,

I'm out too, The Kid has some new Kung Fu thing with a 6' pole he wants to show me, so I have to go find my mouthguard and helmet.

'Night folks.

Mouthguard?

You afraid of a little trip to the dentist?

Why don't you get on in there and mix it up a little bit? :D

TR

Bill Harsey
04-09-2004, 10:14
Morning...First about those tinkerers, I'm used to that. I always include little engraved inspirational sayings inside for people who have to take stuff apart. Caterpillar hat and D-9, I was laughing about that all night long. The caterpillar dealer for this region is just up the road from me. I'll never be able to drive by again without thinking "Look, a target storage facility". Last and most important, I spent all this time worried that NDD was deprived of any culture at his location. Seems I missed that by 180 degrees. I'm checking flights now. Out here for now, have liberal media coming to look at a knife shop today.

pulque
04-09-2004, 12:19
Last and most important, I spent all this time worried that NDD was deprived of any culture at his location. Seems I missed that by 180 degrees. I'm checking flights now. Out here for now, have liberal media coming to look at a knife shop today.

Mr Harsey sir, please don't neglect these offers for office visits. The fiery forge of creation can be a good experience for tinkerers in search of a cultural exchange.

Omega flies both ways!

Bill Harsey
04-09-2004, 19:46
Pulque, Will pursue cultural exchange. NDD, Just showed picture of your nurse to my wife. This isn't going over quite as smooth as i thought it would.

Solid
04-09-2004, 21:10
LOL this is a great thread... My biggest question is why you swapped Paula for Sofia?!

My nephew regularly destroys all tech equipment left in his path. He doesn't use tools in any normal sense of the word; we've deprived him of access to such machinery. Instead, he has learnt that his saftey knife can be used on screw-heads, and has apparently discovered the concept of leverage, and has also discovered that by letting the dog (who only speaks Spanish..) inside he can create a great distraction... End result: a disassembled Game Cube (thankfully the screws in the laser assembly were too small and he gave up... he's not cut out for SF, I guess). I found the dog in the house, ran downstairs to check on my nephew, and came across a trail of highlighter-covered CD's, then the carry handle, then the lid, then a string of wires and half of a controller... then my nephew, wearing his pants on his head and his t-shirt on his bottoms, running around and using his bottle to mark his territory like a dog.

THAT's destructive capability. He'll be drinking and driving before I let him near any pliers...

:D

America is great, glad to be back home. I come back to the South in 10 days, can't wait!

Solid

NousDefionsDoc
04-09-2004, 21:17
Paula Andrea was really hot when she was younger, but she got married and had a baby and apparently loves her husband. When they get 36, you get to turn them in for two 18 year-olds. DX. Its the law.

Gypsy
04-09-2004, 21:24
When they get 36, you get to turn them in for two 18 year-olds. DX. Its the law.

LOL! Does that law only apply for men?

NousDefionsDoc
04-09-2004, 21:28
Originally posted by Gypsy
LOL! Does that law only apply for men?

Affirmative.

Gypsy
04-09-2004, 21:30
Sigh.....:p

NousDefionsDoc
04-09-2004, 21:33
I've got about two years to go. The Kid seems to like her for some reason, I'm hoping he'll grow out of it by then.

Gypsy
04-09-2004, 21:37
Either that or you'll have to hire RL to change the man-law.

:lifter

I'll keep mine...

NousDefionsDoc
04-09-2004, 21:45
RL's Attorney Kung Fu is no good here.

Gypsy
04-09-2004, 21:51
That's no good. Guess you'll have to run a little PsyOp on The Kid! ;)

Roguish Lawyer
04-09-2004, 21:51
RL's Attorney Kung Fu is no good here.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

-- Darth Vader

NousDefionsDoc
04-09-2004, 21:53
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

-- Darth Vader

Not lack of faith it isn't. Having no credentials you aren't.

Roguish Lawyer
04-09-2004, 21:59

NousDefionsDoc
04-09-2004, 22:02
Nice smiley. DAN!!!!!!

Roguish Lawyer
04-09-2004, 22:17

Two words:

Local counsel

http://www.bakernet.com/BakerNet/Places/Latin+America/Bogota/Description/default.htm

pulque
04-09-2004, 22:17
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer

thats the one

Bill Harsey
04-10-2004, 08:34
The 36 divided by 2 law! That's great! I'm going to tell my wife right now then maybe she'll forget about the nurse thing. That's what Homer would do isn't it?

lrd
04-10-2004, 10:58
Not to re-hijack the thread, but Mr. Harsey...you don't like tinkerers? I could have sworn a little fishey told me differently. :D (BTW: 3 17" Shad, 5 5-8" Perch, and 1 3" Minnow in 2 hrs. this AM.)

Back on track: I've got a 21 YO and a 24 YO for sale or trade, if anyone's interested. I'm still working on the 17 YO, so I"ll keep him a while longer.

Bill Harsey
04-10-2004, 13:35
Ird, GREAT JOB Fishing! I have no problem with tinkerers as long as I don't have to fix it later.