PDA

View Full Version : Speer, Christopher J., SFC, SF

The Reaper
01-24-2004, 18:44
Soldiers from Headquarters U.S. Army Special Operations Command carry the body of Sgt. 1st Class Christopher J. Speer from the Village Chapel in Pinehurst, NC on Tuesday

Six days before he received the wounds that killed him, Sgt. 1st Class Christopher J. Speer walked into a minefield to rescue two wounded Afghan children, according to fellow soldiers.

He applied a tourniquet to one child and bandaged the other, they said. Then he stopped a passing military truck to take the wounded children to a U.S. Army field hospital.

Speer saved those children, his colleagues said.

That selfless act was among the memories of Speer celebrated on Tuesday as Army soldiers, their families and friends filled the sanctuary of The Village Chapel in Pinehurst for Speer's funeral.

Speer, a Special Forces medic, suffered a head wound during a search of the Ab Khail village in Afghanistan on July 27. He was evacuated to Germany, where he died Aug. 6. He was 28

On Tuesday, Speer was remembered as a capable and confident soldier with an unflappable sense of humor. When the chips were down, friends said, he could pick up his co-workers with a smile and a laugh.

They remembered him as a loving husband and father who had a sparkle in his eyes whenever he talked about his family.

Survived by Wife, Tabitha, two small children, Taryn and Tanner and brother Todd

Todd, his older brother and fellow soldier, said Christopher Speer was a "hero, not only for his professional conduct, but his family life. There's not more you can ask. "I look up to him."

Before deploying to Afghanistan, Speer wrote notes to his wife, Tabitha, and their two small children, Taryn and Tanner, Jackson said.

"You are always on my mind and forever in my heart."

He wrote a note to his children on a card that had two whispering puppies on the cover, Jackson said.

One puppy said to the other, "Do you want to know a secret?"

The card said, "I love you."

Speer then wrote, "It's no secret how much I love you. Take care of each other.

"Love Daddy"

Enlisting in the Army was always Speer's dream, his brother said. He made it come true on July 8, 1992. His last assignment was to the Headquarters U.S. Army Special Operations Command. His decorations include the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

18bangbang
12-13-2010, 09:37
I went through the Q course with Chris. He was a great guy. Kinda soft spoken and did his duty well. When i heard the news of his death it saddened me. Almost went to Canada to hunt the family of his killer. I am glad to hear his killer was captured, I hope they get his father too. interesting family dynamics, young kid brainwashed by his father living the good life in Canada sends his Son to fight the big Jihad in the Stan........ pretty sad.... I miss you Chris.....

Irishsquid
12-13-2010, 10:36
RIP SFC Speer. Save the rest of us a spot in Valhalla.

Richard
12-13-2010, 10:42
RIP, Doc.

ZonieDiver
12-13-2010, 13:14
Rest In Peace.

greenberetTFS
12-13-2010, 14:16
God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior...............:(

Big Teddy

uplink5
12-13-2010, 14:17
RIP Chris....jd

Jgood
12-13-2010, 14:42
RIP thoughts and prayers with family and friends

Red Flag 1
12-13-2010, 16:06
Rest In God's Peace Warrior.

CoLawman
12-13-2010, 21:07
Rest in Peace.

wet dog
12-13-2010, 21:21
Rest in Peace little brother, thank you for your service.

JJ_BPK
12-14-2010, 04:33
RIP Brother, Vaya con Dios..

PedOncoDoc
12-14-2010, 05:13
Rest in peace, Warrior. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

Stingray
12-14-2010, 05:28
Rest in Peace SFC Speer. Thank you for your service. Prayers to your family.

Sincerely,

Rogue
12-14-2010, 08:17
Rest in Peace