PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scopes

soldierboy3502
12-30-2006, 20:46
Hello all. I'm looking to invest in a nice spotting scope for day to day stuff at the range up to 700 meters. The wife got me a 20x50 NcSTAR for Christmas but I've heard the quality isn't all that great. Does anyone know of anything out there at a decent price (under 200.00)?:confused:

The Reaper
12-30-2006, 20:55
I don't think you are going to find a decent spotting scope in that price range.

You might want to use the search button and look for spotting scopes, a discussion of them has already been conducted.

The search buttom is your friend. Most questions have been asked before, no need to start new threads every time.

TR

Peregrino
12-30-2006, 23:00
What TR said.

Addendum: Think of spotting scopes like digital cameras - price and quality are roughly linked. <$300=<3.3meg, $500-1000=+/-6meg, and >$1200=8meg. How much resolution do you require? How much can your eye distinguish under average conditions? (Notice - I did not mention magnification.) I still have the 20x Bushnell Sentry II (probably at least 25 y/o) I bought used in a pawnshop 15+ years ago for <$40. I used it for most of that time and still maintain it for a loaner. (It keeps the mooches from putting their grubby paws on my Kowa.) I upgraded because I couldn't see .223 holes in the black at 300yds (really because it wasn't :cool: ). Until you need that level of resolution say thank you to your wife, keep what she gave you (marriage maintenance) and spend the extra money on bullets for practice (or whatever you need a spotting scope for). If you really can't stand/use the one you have, check out www.champchoice.com. for an inexpensive "beginner's" scope. FWIW - Peregrino

longrange1947
12-31-2006, 14:00
What TR said.

Addendum: I still have the 20x Bushnell Sentry II (probably at least 25 y/o) I bought used in a pawnshop 15+ years ago for <$40. FWIW - Peregrino

Dam, you cheap sucker. Actually we used those as our spotting scopes at SOTIC for the first 4 years.

What they said, you will need to spend some serious cash if you want a good spotting scope and that is in the level that Peregino keeps as his loaner. That scope new is more than what you are wanting to spend.

That said, you need to learn to use your scope and read wind, spot holes and properly adjust the scope for you to shoot. Then shoot a bunch of bullets and when you are ready to move up then you can spend the 800.00 to 1200.00 required for a good scope. Either Kowa or Leica will do nicely. :munchin

Peregrino
12-31-2006, 14:29
Dam, you cheap sucker. Actually we used those as our spotting scopes at SOTIC for the first 4 years.

What they said, you will need to spend some serious cash if you want a good spotting scope and that is in the level that Peregino keeps as his loaner. That scope new is more than what you are wanting to spend.

That said, you need to learn to use your scope and read wind, spot holes and properly adjust the scope for you to shoot. Then shoot a bunch of bullets and when you are ready to move up then you can spend the 800.00 to 1200.00 required for a good scope. Either Kowa or Lieca will do nicely. :munchin

You think I'm cheap - Ken S. spent the first few years he was "mentoring" me trying to talk me into upgrading so he could have it for his pistol box. He's still using the one the AMU issued him 30(?) years ago. Mark H. loaned him his Kowa for Perry this year, we'll see if he finally gets a new scope or not. Personally I'm not holding my breath. He doesn't "really" need it, the old one isn't broken and the game isn't about equipment, it's about shooting (and he does that just fine, thank you very much). Peregrino

soldierboy3502
12-31-2006, 18:00
Well, thanks very much for the info gents. But I guess you are right. Marriage maintainence is the biggest issue of all. But I do appreciate the feedback.

Peregrino
12-31-2006, 18:18
Well, thanks very much for the info gents. But I guess you are right. Marriage maintainence is the biggest issue of all. But I do appreciate the feedback.

Do the MM thing and the shooting thing right and in a few years she'll buy you the quality scope. Maybe she will then use the current one to keep your scorecard. (Or - horror of horrors - she'll buy herself the good scope and make High Master before you do!) Meantime (unless she's shooting) get her an inexpensive pair of binoculars and a lawnchair so she can follow the action. The best part - take care of whatever you have/get and any future children will appreciate your "hand-me-downs" 'cause they're the real thing - and you'll have already gotten your money's worth and moved on. Good Luck. Peregrino