PDA

View Full Version : To win in Iraq

jasonglh
12-28-2006, 21:36
Washington Times Op-Ed (http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20061227-092444-4051r.htm)

Most Americans desire an effective change in current Iraq war strategy and the wider global war against Islamic extremists and nations supporting them. President Bush and the new U.S. defense secretary, Robert Gates, could deliver it by placing experienced unconventional warfare leaders in charge of the war effort.

Snaquebite
12-28-2006, 22:08
Interesting article....however it will be an uphill battle...conventional forces will never admit that they do not have the skills or training to accomplish what has to be done. To defeat this Islamist insurgency we must be able not only to track down and capture or kill hard-core terrorists but also to carry out civil affairs and information operations to win the “hearts and minds” of the great mass of uncommitted Muslims. Conventional units are not trained to do this and only accomplish this type of mission with the aid/attachment of SF/CA advisors. They are very good at eliminating top terrorists, once they have been found (Abu Musab al-Zarqawi’s death); less good at finding them (Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri are still at large); and less skilled still at changing the conditions that breed terrorism in the first place. We are paying the price for this skills-deficit in places like Iraq where it has been difficult for a conventionally focused Army and Marine Corps—to say nothing of the Navy and Air Force—to pivot to counterinsurgency operations. The armed services, in particular the Army and Marine Corps, are now doing a better job of training for such missions—but not good enough. Making real progress, whether in Iraq or other locales, will require accomplishing much more difficult, less glamorous tasks such as establishing security, furthering economic and political development, and spreading the right information to win over the populace. Above all, it will require working with indigenous allies who must necessarily carry the bulk of the burden in this type of conflict. Native recruits have been key to America’s most successful counterinsurgencies. I would go on but I want to hear from others...this could be a very interesting thread.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
12-29-2006, 11:58
Washington Times Op-Ed (http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20061227-092444-4051r.htm)

You realize of course that this article is addressing SOF and not just SF. The author sort of doesn't seem to realize that not all SOF are created equal and that even some of the SOF "senior leadership" do not necessarily have the background nor the expertise to execute counter-insurgency operations with the skill and depth needed. Also understand that even though this is a war, the resolution of any counter-insurgency requires agencies other than military to take the lead with the military being a support arm. Even his quotation of "unconventional warfare" is misplaced rhetoric as that is just one mission profile for SF and this falls more firmly within the FID role than that of UW-at least in Iraq. Now there are UW opportunities elsewhere in this campaign against Islamic Fundamentalism.

The Reaper
12-29-2006, 16:31
Exactly, Jefe.

The problem is that the senior SF guy with any recent UW experience is probably a one-star, and SOF is overrun with senior leaders with Aviation, Ranger and JSOC time who do not believe in UW or COIN.

These same leaders believe that if you aren't in JSOC, and are not full time DA/CT, you are not a reral warrior, but are a "Housecleaner".

Mother Army looks at it the same way. SF (along with CA and PSYOP) are the bastard stepchildren of SOCOM. Lots of talk, little money to back it up.

The SOF leadership sells the civilian leadership on the notion that if we just kill or capture the next HPT, the war will be over. Hearts, minds, schools, wells, and MEDRETEs be damned. Remember Mogadishu?

SOCOM lives (and collects money, which they immediately sink into more platforms and black ops) by perpetuating the myth that all of their forces are language trained, area oriented, culturally attuned, etc., and the reality is that the only SOF forces who are are SF and to some degree, PSYOP.

At times like this, I wish more SOF leadership was really SF. :rolleyes:

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

x SF med
12-29-2006, 20:03
COL M., TR-
Spot on! There is not the glamour nor coolness of DA associated with FID/CA/UW and the rest of the SOF community thinks it's an overrated skill, not realizing the planning and training it takes to successfully undertake those missions.

jasonglh
12-29-2006, 21:56
Thank you all for the input, that was what I was seeking by posting it here not just trying to preach to the choir so to speak.

Both Iraq and Afghanistan seem like prime ground for SF to do its thing. Just wish the Big Green Machine would get out of the way and let you guys do it.

Remember Mogadishu?

Not forgotten in this house.

GreenBeret65
01-15-2007, 21:41
I so agree with what you said. We will never win anywhere in the world with conventional military tactics. It is a new world and requires new actions. I firmly believe that there must be many A-teams in Afghanistan and other parts of that world that I of course know nothing about. In another post I shared my views as a civilian senior executive with a major American Hotel Company. I do not believe that the Sunnis, the Shia and the Curds (hope I spelled it right) will ever sit down and agree on anything. It is all about tribal and family connections--even stronger than religion. I subscribe to the school of thought that believes that there will eventually be an incredibley bloody civil war. I do not believe the Sunni minority will win that civil war and they will pay the price for their previous power status.

Once again, just my personal opinion

De Opresso Liber