PDA

View Full Version : Another rum thread (split)

incommin
12-27-2006, 09:57
All this talk about Bourbon....... makes me thirsty for some rum! Rum has always been the drink of soldiers and sailors......

Jim

x SF med
12-27-2006, 10:32
All this talk about Bourbon....... makes me thirsty for some rum! Rum has always been the drink of soldiers and sailors......

Jim

Mount Gay Barbados Rum - good stuff, and they sponsor a lot of regattas, the mark of a real racer is the number of red Mount Gay Regatta hats in the car or on the boat. mount Gay and Ginger ale with a twist of lime is good, I prefer Club Soda to Ginger myself.

None of that Parrot Bay Crap, who wants Rum that smells like suntan lotion.

Roguish Lawyer
12-27-2006, 11:46
We have some threads on rum. A 7th Group dude (sorry, I don't remember which one) turned me on to this great stuff called Flor de Cana. If you search for that, you'll find the threads.

Roguish Lawyer
12-27-2006, 11:47
Mount Gay Barbados Rum - good stuff, and they sponsor a lot of regattas, the mark of a real racer is the number of red Mount Gay Regatta hats in the car or on the boat. mount Gay and Ginger ale with a twist of lime is good, I prefer Club Soda to Ginger myself.

Doesn't sound like a very manly rum to me. Or maybe it sounds too manly! :eek:

LOL

Air.177
12-27-2006, 12:20
I like Gosling's Black Seal if I am drinking rum. Mixed with Ginger Beer you get a "Dark and Stormy".

Good times,
Blake

echoes
12-27-2006, 12:25
None of that Parrot Bay Crap, who wants Rum that smells like suntan lotion.

LMAO! So true Sir...I thought I was the only one who thought that...now it comes in flavors too, to make matters worse.:confused:

Vanilla, Coconut, Pineapple....yuky.

Holly

x SF med
12-27-2006, 12:35
I like Gosling's Black Seal if I am drinking rum. Mixed with Ginger Beer you get a "Dark and Stormy".

Good times,
Blake

Blake-
If I could afford Gosling's as a rule, it wins hands down - and not many people know about real dark and stormies - the tough part is getting good caribe ginger beer - maybe this calls for a trip to Antigua after SHOT....

RL-
Mount Gay is named after one of the higher elevations in Barbados, I didn't name it, and it is good stuff - sheesh, you live in LA and you let the innocuous name of a rum (established well before 'gay' had it's current connotations) bother you, counselor, you need a therapist.:D I just went through one of the 'rum' threads (was going to do a bad sailing pun, but thought better of it) and damn, you RL, you're going to force me to go on a rum search.

Roguish Lawyer
12-27-2006, 13:22
RL-
Mount Gay is named after one of the higher elevations in Barbados, I didn't name it, and it is good stuff - sheesh, you live in LA and you let the innocuous name of a rum (established well before 'gay' had it's current connotations) bother you, counselor, you need a therapist.:D I just went through one of the 'rum' threads (was going to do a bad sailing pun, but thought better of it) and damn, you RL, you're going to force me to go on a rum search.

LOL

Air.177
12-27-2006, 13:28
Blake-
If I could afford Gosling's as a rule, it wins hands down - and not many people know about real dark and stormies - the tough part is getting good caribe ginger beer - maybe this calls for a trip to Antigua after SHOT....

XSF-

I can get Goslings locally for less than $25 a fifth. And I don't know if it is ,"Authentic Caribe" ginger beer, but I really like the Reeds (http://www.reedsgingerbrew.com/). They call it "Jamaican Style" but I wouldn't know, I first tried it in Hawaii, and I get it at Whole Foods, Central Market, and Market Street as well as Albertsons. The Regular and Premium are kick ass, and the extra ginger will clear your sinuses.

Good times,
Blake

x SF med
12-27-2006, 14:13
Blake-
I now have to find a West Indian community and raid their bodega for Reed's Ginger Beer. and run to the Spiritmonger's to find Gosling's Black.

Thanks man, you're a pal. :D

Air.177
12-27-2006, 14:15
Blake-
I now have to find a West Indian community and raid their bodega for Reed's Ginger Beer. and run to the Spiritmonger's to find Gosling's Black.

Thanks man, you're a pal. :D

If it's that much trouble, shoot me a PM. Hell, I'll bring some to SHOT with me if you're interested.

Good times,
Blake

Trip_Wire (RIP)
12-27-2006, 14:18
I like some Rum on occassion! The old 'Rum & Coke' is one of my favorities! Or a 'Hot Buttered Rum' on a cold day!

I tend to like the dark Rums in 101 proof! :D :lifter

x SF med
12-27-2006, 14:19
Blake,
I know where to find all the makings in Orlando - it's here in NJ among the un-spiritual (pardon the pun, but infidels sounded a bit harsh) that think ron-Rico and that other fake rum are the real thing, that it's difficult. I need to find a supplier in this area, I know a place near where I keep the boat to get everything for the d&s fix.

I won't argue if you want to bring a nip of Gosling's to SHOT, hell OPB & OPF are great things.

lksteve
12-27-2006, 19:16
Mount Gay is named after one of the higher elevations in Barbados, I didn't name it, and it is good stuff - sheesh, you live in LA and you let the innocuous name of a rum (established well before 'gay' had it's current connotations) bother you, counselor, you need a therapist.Doc, i can't believe you are arguing relevance with an attorney...remember, Ritalin is our friend...:D

x SF med
12-27-2006, 20:22
Doc, i can't believe you are arguing relevance with an attorney...remember, Ritalin is our friend...:D

I don't think I've ever met a relevant attorney, RL's close, but only because he owns guns, AL doesn't count, he's military.

I picked up some Brugal Anejo dominican Rum on the way home tonight, haven't had a chance to try it yet - had a project to complete. Will give a review at another time. I will ay this, it is a golden rum in a brown bottle, and although it has only been in the freezer for a short time is already getting 'sludgy' like a good vodka gets in the freezer.