PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Changes ???

GreenBeret65
12-27-2006, 08:37
I am also a member over at SOCNET and I was shocked to read the Army is going to do away with bloused boots for those who have "earned" the right to wear them. I didn't like it when the Army went Beret for everyone. I have been out of the military for 40 years but the silver wings, the bloused spit shined combat boots and the Green Beret are all representative of things I "earned" and of which I am still very proud. I have no idea what the new blue uniform will look like--good I hope.

De Opresso Liber

ps
I have been out of the army for so long that I no longer am familiar with the military acronyms used today. Is there a sort of dictionary for these alphabetical abbreviations.

ABN_FO
12-27-2006, 14:07
Well don't we know it isn't nice for a leg oops sorry NAP to have to see anyone who actually does feel the need to be better. It may hurt their self esteem. Its just one more step in the process to make everyone feel good about themselves even if they suck.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
12-27-2006, 14:35
Quote: "the bloused spit shined combat boots ." :eek:

What GB or Paratrooper would wear combat boots with Class A's? I always wore Corcoran Jump Boots, either Brown or Black, depending on the era.

WW II Combat boots (Twin buckles) could be dangerous for 'Troopers, unless the buckles were covered with tape, especially when jumping T-7s. :lifter :munchin

Ambush Master
12-27-2006, 15:17
ps
I have been out of the army for so long that I no longer am familiar with the military acronyms used today. Is there a sort of dictionary for these alphabetical abbreviations.

Try here: http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/doddict/acronym_index.html

x SF med
12-27-2006, 15:21
Try here: http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/doddict/acronym_index.html

AM-
Just the A's made my brain hurt, no wonder there is a dictionary for these 'labor saving' Acronyms.

GreenBeret65
12-28-2006, 00:26
Quote: "the bloused spit shined combat boots ." :eek:

What GB or Paratrooper would wear combat boots with Class A's? I always wore Corcoran Jump Boots, either Brown or Black, depending on the era.

WW II Combat boots (Twin buckles) could be dangerous for 'Troopers, unless the buckles were covered with tape, especially when jumping T-7s. :lifter :munchin

You are right--they were Corcoran Jump Boots I guess--40 yrs ago is a long time--I know they were black. A mind is a terrible thing to lose--can't remember who said that. I have always liked this comment about SFA:

It's not the price you pay to join-it is the price you pay to qualify
Anonymous

Marauder06
01-09-2007, 06:42
I think the decision to do away with the jump boots coincides with the decision to phase out the dress greens. My understanding is the intent was to make low quarters the standard footwear for the dress uniforms.

CDRODA396
01-09-2007, 07:47
I think the decision to do away with the jump boots coincides with the decision to phase out the dress greens. My understanding is the intent was to make low quarters the standard footwear for the dress uniforms.

Thats correct, with the switch to the single Dress/Mess uniform, the Blues, they are doing away with the bloused boot, which was never worn with the old Dress Blues. Part of the goal is to simplify the uniform requirement and ultimately make it cheaper for the soldier, although for those in at the time of the switch, its gonna hurt if they dont issue the new ones to everybody!

Surgicalcric
01-09-2007, 09:25

I still call bullshit.

I think, not that they asked my opinion, the change to not wearing bloused boots and tan, maroon, Green Berets with the new Dress Blues' intent is the same as it was for the black beret.

Crip

Snaquebite
01-09-2007, 09:43
It kind of surprises me that this was really supported by Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker

http://www.monroe.army.mil/casemate/archive/jun06/060906uniform.htm

I read in another article that E-5 and above will wear the Bus driver blues hat while the others will continue to wear the Beret of their unit or the "Army Black Beret"

The Dress Blue Uniform as we know it now is meant to be worn only on very special occassions. Changing it to become the standard dress uniform will take away from the formality of this uniform. You don't see soldiers going to the Army Ball in Class A uniforms. They wear their Dress Blue's! Why? Simple, it's the Army's Birthday and we should have a uniform that is far superior to the standard Class A for something so special. The change to this uniform will also make the uniform that is worn by the OLD GUARD during their cerimonies a simple mundane uniform, not something to wow the crowd or to make them say "Now that is a sharp soldier!", not when they're walking around in the same outfit everyone else is! You want tradition, you want a new uniform that soldiers will love? Why don't you read the polls. When asked what everyone wanted as a new Class A uniform, the majority of responses came back saying they wanted the old Pinks and Greens of the WWII era. Top Brass needs to pay more attention to what the common soldier wants in a uniform.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
01-09-2007, 13:06
Snaquebite:

During the Korean war the army was looking at a new Army uniform too. They had a poll and the poll had the same results as you mention, the WW II Pinks & Greens!

What did we get? The Army Green uniform worn today! So, much for polls!:(

I agree with most of what you have said on the subject, I especially am upset about the berets and not being able to blouse paratrooper boots!

I see no reason to wear a 'flying saucer' hat for EM, let the Officers wear them along with low quarters. :D :lifter

kachingchingpow
01-10-2007, 10:39
Helen Parr (to her son): "Everyone's special, Dash."
Dash: "Which is another way of saying no one is."

And another:

Syndrome (to Mr. Incredible): "And when I'm old and I've had my fun, I'll sell my inventions so that everyone can be superheroes. Everyone can be super. And when everyone's super, no one will be." [evil laughter]

sf11b_p
01-10-2007, 11:15
The new Army with all the wearing styles of the black beret reminded me of something.

http://www.kryon.com/inspiritmag/scrapbook-pics/Police/Soldiers.jpg

http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/Pubs/allhands/sep01/20psm.jpg

Formations of troops wearing both the brimmed service hat and berets, both gold stripped and plain legged blue trousers... who's the leader of the band that's made for you and me, M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!

Pete
06-19-2007, 07:55
As reported in this weeks Army Times

"New Dress Blues - Not Final yet"

"Changes possible for: Combat patches/pins - Unit insignia - Shirt Color & more"

I can only shake my head.

The Greens were where everybody wore their whoah stuff and the Blues were the more formal wear. Now- :eek: - I wonder if they will go for......nevermind.

Pete

Razor
06-19-2007, 09:40
Ah yes, now that everybody has a combat patch to wear, they want to change the uniform regs so they can put it on their Blues and show it off. I have no doubt that if only a handful of folks had combat patches, changing the regs wouldn't even be a consideration.

jatx
06-19-2007, 10:33
By the time all is said and done, I think that we will have the equivalent of blue Class A's, but without bloused boots. Combat and unit patches, regimental crests, etc. I also think that the beret will be authorized headgear for all personnel, not just enlisted, with the uniform.

It will look pretty sharp, but won't save Joe any money, since he'll still need a separate jacket for dress occasions.

chiefrick194
06-19-2007, 11:47
Maybe they should try something different like Khakis and OG-107s.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
06-19-2007, 12:43
By the time all is said and done, I think that we will have the equivalent of blue Class A's, but without bloused boots. Combat and unit patches, regimental crests, etc. I also think that the beret will be authorized headgear for all personnel, not just enlisted, with the uniform.

It will look pretty sharp, but won't save Joe any money, since he'll still need a separate jacket for dress occasions.

Separate jacket? I don't understand, are you talking about the Mess Dress jacket?

The pics I've seen of the new Blue Dress uniforms have no real change with the Blouse. The Changes seem to be with the 'grey' shirt worn under the blouse and the new pants with a belt and no gold stripe for people under Sgt.

To go to formal, one would wear the dress white shirt and black bow tie, as I understand it. The Blue and White Mess Dress will still be used for Formal occassions, when a Tux would be required. (Black & White Tie affairs.)

I hope you are right about the beret, as I heard that only soldiers under Sgt. would wear the beret and NCOs and Officers would wear the 'bus driver' hats, along with a gold stripe on their pants. No bloused jump boots for anybody. :(

Pete
06-19-2007, 13:01
Separate jacket? I don't understand, are you talking about the Mess Dress jacket?.....

I think he was thinking that by the time the Army finishes reloading everything back on to the Blue Jacket they'll say you have to have a clean/slick one for formal wear. See my post # 14.

I don't know why they bother. In two or three years everybody will be wearing DCU/ACUs to Dining Ins & Outs anyway.:rolleyes:

Pete
Shakin' my head over this one.

jatx
06-19-2007, 13:06
I think he was thinking that by the time the Army finishes reloading everything back on to the Blue Jacket they'll say you have to have a clean/slick one for formal wear. See my post # 14.

Yep, that's what I meant. :)

mffjm8509
06-19-2007, 17:03
I was asked to complete a survey via AKO a couple of weeks ago on this subject.

Wear of shoulder insignia, regimental DUI, color of the shirt, combat service stripes.....seems they want to put everything from the green jacket on the blue.

I pulled my Blues out while on leave to compare and noticed that the quality (weight) of the uniform is considerably lighter than the Green Class A jacket. I wonder how this will hold up to regular use for those that have to wear them often.

mp

Mack
06-19-2007, 18:52
I just bought my Corcorans for CLT (in November) and haven't worn them once with the Class A's. By the time I'm q'd, I'll have to buy a set of blues and low quarters, since I was told I'd just wear the bloused boots with class A. (Came to Bragg for Charlie school, but am now in my 9th week as a Delta student). :boohoo

NousDefionsDoc
06-19-2007, 19:45
I was asked to complete a survey via AKO a couple of weeks ago on this subject.

Wear of shoulder insignia, regimental DUI, color of the shirt, combat service stripes.....seems they want to put everything from the green jacket on the blue.

I pulled my Blues out while on leave to compare and noticed that the quality (weight) of the uniform is considerably lighter than the Green Class A jacket. I wonder how this will hold up to regular use for those that have to wear them often.

mp
Anybody that has to wear them often enough to wear them out should ask for reassignment to an A-Team, there's a war on!