PDA

View Full Version : Advice about EOTech's

Hipshot
12-25-2006, 19:12
My son's about to deploy back to Iraq for his 2nd tour. He pulled his first with 3rd ID last year and is about to go back with 2/325th from the 82nd. I'm thinking about getting him an EOTech for his M4, but am not really sure which model to get him - the version that uses the AA batteries or the Lithium version. I'm an old 11B4S who hasn't kept up with the small arms world. Any advice would be appreciated.

Peregrino
12-25-2006, 19:19
Get the 553. It was designed with military input and has features the previous versions lack. The best part is it uses the same 123 batteries as the SureFire weapons lights. The major advantages are shorter OAL and 1000 hrs run time (almost twice what the AAs will give). It's a bit more expensive (o/a $500) but well worth it IMHO. I've been using a 552 for several years and prefer the EOTechs over the Aimpoints. The bad news - as has been pointed out elsewhere on this board it does not have magnification, a distinct disadvantage for EOTechs/Aimpoints when it comes to longer range target ID/engagement. (Part of the reason my Christmas included a Trijicon TA31F.) FWIW - Peregrino

Warrior-Mentor
12-25-2006, 21:00
I like my AA operated...for the simplicity of not having to worry about a limited resupply...can find them just about anywhere...

The Reaper
12-25-2006, 22:34
Another vote for the EOTech 553 with the 123 lithium battery.

If you can find one, get the LaRue mount for it as well.

TR

Peregrino
12-26-2006, 08:54
+1 for the LaRue mount. Thanks for the reminder TR. I've been using one for the past year and wouldn't do without it now. It's such an integral part of my 552 that I completely forgot to mention it in my first post. It raises the sighting hologram slightly above the front sight assembly giving a better field of view, yet leaves room for the BUIS to co-witness (makes for quick zero checks). (Personal note - Make sure he has a BUIS before he adds optics. I'm not a fan of the issue one, I use the ARMS 40L. Others have different preferences.) It also has a raised rail portion in the rear behind the EOTech for attaching PVS-14/etc in perfect alignment. Peregrino

KevinB
12-26-2006, 13:23
The 553 has internal ARMS mounts and is not compatible with the Larue mount.

I was hoping that Mark would have a replacment mount for the 553 -- but not as of yet.

Peregrino
12-26-2006, 16:38
The 553 has internal ARMS mounts and is not compatible with the Larue mount.

I was hoping that Mark would have a replacment mount for the 553 -- but not as of yet.

I'll have to check that out. I've got the LaRue mount and I should be able to get access to a 553 within a couple of weeks. I knew about the ARMS lever, that's one of the "inputs" from the end users. Doesn't make sense that it won't fit Mark's mount, it's just a fancy (std) elevated rail. It may not be necessary for the 553 but I would certainly recommend it to anyone using the older EOTechs. Peregrino