PDA

View Full Version : Grandad's .357

zuluzerosix
12-24-2006, 14:18
Hello Fellas,

I want your opinions. I recently was given my Grandfather's S&W .357. It is a model 27 (I think) circa 1957. It was issued to him when he went to the FBI National Academy. There is the seal of the FBI N.A. on the butt of the revolver. It is in beautiful shape. I will try to post some pictures of it here.

On the barrel there are two small spots that looks like the Blueing is comming off. They are about half the size of my pinky nail maybe even smaller. Has anyone heard of a product I can use to cover it up or should I just send it back to S & W and have them reblue the weapon?
I really dont want to send it away because it was hell to get it shipped here (California) from Texas. It is not on the approved list and doesn't qualify for an exemption as a relic. So I had a hell of a time getting it shipped here. That is too long of a story to tell here. I am afraid of shipping it off then not being able to get it back.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

The Reaper
12-24-2006, 14:29
Hello Fellas,

I want your opinions. I recently was given my Grandfather's S&W .357. It is a model 27 (I think) circa 1957. It was issued to him when he went to the FBI National Academy. There is the seal of the FBI N.A. on the butt of the revolver. It is in beautiful shape. I will try to post some pictures of it here.

On the barrel there are two small spots that looks like the Blueing is comming off. They are about half the size of my pinky nail maybe even smaller. Has anyone heard of a product I can use to cover it up or should I just send it back to S & W and have them reblue the weapon?
I really dont want to send it away because it was hell to get it shipped here (California) from Texas. It is not on the approved list and doesn't qualify for an exemption as a relic. So I had a hell of a time getting it shipped here. That is too long of a story to tell here. I am afraid of shipping it off then not being able to get it back.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

A state where you can't easily own a revolver with a basic design dating to the 19th Century? :rolleyes:

Don't touch it up or change it, just shoot it and enjoy it.

You could use cold blue touch-up, but anything you do will reduce the value, including a reblue by S&W, assuming they can still do it that way, and they don't.

Don't change a thing. Those spots may have a history. Is your Grandfather still around to ask about them?

Nice piece!

TR

zuluzerosix
12-24-2006, 14:46
A state where you can't easily own a revolver with a basic design dating to the 19th Century? :rolleyes:

Don't touch it up or change it, just shoot it and enjoy it.

You could use cold blue touch-up, but anything you do will reduce the value, including a reblue by S&W, assuming they can still do it that way, and they don't.

Don't change a thing. Those spots may have a history. Is your Grandfather still around to ask about them?

Nice piece!

TR

TR-

IN this screwed up state; a weapon mus be on the "approved list." To get on that list, a manufacturer must submit two weapons (of each model, each caliber etc...) to the state along with $1500 per weapon for drop testing. That had to happen each year, for each weapon. This is how it was explained to me by a few dealers and one pissed off ATF Agent in the San Francisco office.

Thanks for the advice. I love that weapon. I also have a shadowbox collection with all his badges from every agency he worked for. He passed away about 12 years ago. My grandmother says that was what he carried, and a Sterling Arms .22 auto he carried in his cowboy boot. I have that too.

Thanks.

ZoneOne
12-24-2006, 15:08
I'm sure all of us here would love to see some pictures of both if possible.

I know I would.

Like stated above, keep it how it is. The possibility of not getting it back would have stopped me from doing anything with it.

zuluzerosix
12-24-2006, 15:18
I'm sure all of us here would love to see some pictures of both if possible.

I know I would.

Like stated above, keep it how it is. The possibility of not getting it back would have stopped me from doing anything with it.

Roger that ZoneOne,

I take some tonight and post when I come back to work on the 26th . If I can get 'em up sooner I will.

zuluzerosix
12-24-2006, 15:35
Please pardon the double post. I had to get up to do a car deal ( I am at work). According to my father and grandmother, my grandfather was medically retired from the Navy in 1945, because they said we was going blind. The next year he won "The U.S. Pistol Championships," whatever that was in 1946.

He worked at the prison at Ft Leavenworth, the San Antonio Police Department and was Chief of Police in Harlingen, Bryan and Victoria, Texas. My dad says that he was really big on training when he was Chief, and that all his officers had to be able to effectively fire the Remmington shotgun by holding the trigger in place and pumping the shotgun to fire. Help me out on this one does it sound right?

One of my fondest memories was him picking us up after day camp in the summer and driving me and my cousins home in his police car with lights and sirens..

zuluzerosix
12-26-2006, 18:44
Here it is -BTW, I have no idea where i got "model 27" from it is a model 19. Sorry for the bad poop.

Peregrino
12-26-2006, 19:52
Nice piece, especially for its age. A lot of family history there. Preserve it just like it is.

The Reaper
12-26-2006, 20:12
Here it is -BTW, I have no idea where i got "model 27" from it is a model 19. Sorry for the bad poop.

The Model 27 was the original .357 Magnum Smith & Wesson pistol.

It was on an N Frame and is a significantly larger and less portable revolver than the Model 19 (Combat Magnum), which was made on the smaller K frame to be more portable. The Model 27 is on the same frame as the .44 Magnum Model 29.

The Model 19 was first produced in 1957. It is a good pistol, but it will not withstand a steady diet of full-house .357 Magnum loads without significant maintenance. It came in a 2.5" round butt, a 4" square butt, and a 6" square butt version. Yours is the 2.5" version. It will be a flame thrower with full power loads. I would recommend the .38 +P rounds for it. The 6" version of the Model 19 with the old full-power 158 grain loads approximates what it was originally built to do.

The next evolution Model 586/686 was eventually built on a heavier L Frame.

HTH.

TR

Jaeger1980
12-26-2006, 20:21
zuluzerosix,

time has left its marks on my SW Mod. 19, too. No need to repair. I think it makes a beautiful piece even more beautiful.

As TR said - Those scratches have a history.

a weapon mus be on the "approved list." To get on that list, a manufacturer must submit two weapons (of each model, each caliber etc...) to the state along with $1500 per weapon for drop testing. That had to happen each year, for each weapon.

We have a similar gun law over here. :rolleyes:

Gruß,
Jäger

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6747&d=1158615635
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6748&d=1158615665

zuluzerosix
12-26-2006, 20:51
Thank you all for the education, I really do appreciate it. What about what my dad said about by Grandad having the police officers fire the Remmington shotgun by holding the trigger and pumping the weapon to fire? Can it be done that way? I have never heard of that and I have the Mossberg 500 series, can that be done with the Mossberg?

The Reaper
12-26-2006, 21:01
Thank you all for the education, I really do appreciate it. What about what my dad said about by Grandad having the police officers fire the Remmington shotgun by holding the trigger and pumping the weapon to fire? Can it be done that way? I have never heard of that and I have the Mossberg 500 series, can that be done with the Mossberg?

Only weapons with no disconnector can be fired that way, and I consider it a design flaw. Today, it would be a major liability issue, and if you open the action with the trigger pulled, the next time you load it, it will fire on closing, whether you intended for it to or not. That is how my ND occured, with a Winchester Model 97 shotgun. If your Mossberg 500 works that way, you probably have a broken gun or the basis for a good lawsuit.

IMHO, it is a fast way to make a lot of noise without hitting much, unless you were already an accomplished marksman.

TR

zuluzerosix
12-26-2006, 21:03
Only weapons with no disconnector can be fired that way, and I consider it a design flaw. Today, it would be a major liability issue, and if you open the action with the trigger pulled, the next time you load it, it will fire on closing, whether you intended for it to or not. That is how my ND occured, with a Winchester Model 97 shotgun. If your Mossberg 500 works that way, you probably have a broken gun or the basis for a good lawsuit.

IMHO, it is a fast way to make a lot of noise without hitting much, unless you were already an accomplished marksman.

TR

ROGER THAT! and thank you.

Ambush Master
12-26-2006, 21:04
What about what my dad said about by Grandad having the police officers fire the Remmington shotgun by holding the trigger and pumping the weapon to fire? Can it be done that way? I have never heard of that and I have the Mossberg 500 series, can that be done with the Mossberg?

Try it!!

If the weapon is functioning properly, it will not work as described.

This question borders on a very questionable area concerning weapon modification and will be closed if continued!!

Later
Martin

tugboat
12-27-2006, 14:01
The Winchester Model 12 will fire the way that he is describing. Matbe Grandpa's dept packed Model 12s- not 870s

ZoneOne
12-28-2006, 17:07
Zulu, thats a great looking piece. Like mentioned earlier, no need to do anything to it. It's just fine how it is.

I was also hoping for some pictures of the Sterling Arms .22 - but hey... that's what google was made for. ;-)

Thanks for the picture. :munchin

zuluzerosix
12-29-2006, 16:40
Here is another photo with the .22. I fired the .357 yesterday. It was a blast!

HOLLiS
12-29-2006, 22:05
Very very Nice. One agency I worked for, model 19 were standard issue. Very nice wheel gun. Smith made a very fine pistol then.

Obviously a S&W wheel gun aficionado.