PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Mr. Donald Trump

Team Sergeant
12-24-2006, 10:53
Donald Trump Files $10 Million Lawsuit Against Palm Beach After Being Cited for Large Flag
Sunday, December 24, 2006

PALM BEACH, Florida — Donald Trump is suing this oceanside town for $10 million after being cited for flying an oversized U.S. flag over his Mar-a-Lago Club.

Attorneys for the club filed a complaint Thursday, saying that flying the flag is a constitutionally protected expression of free speech — and that the large flag is a proper match for the size of the real-estate mogul's patriotism.

cont...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,238626,00.html

Bill Harsey
12-24-2006, 10:56
I'm liking this guy more every day.

The Reaper
12-24-2006, 11:15

I have never seen a Pay Per View in my life, but if he would punch Fat Rosie in the mouth, I would pay to watch that.

TR

pegasus
12-24-2006, 11:26
Hate to be the Grinch - but I believe the problem is not the flag but the pole. This is a hurricane zone and there are building codes for poles > 42'. His pole was 80'.
I don't think it mattered what he flew on the pole or the size, the problem is the pole height.

"The citation was for having a flagpole taller than 42 feet, for not obtaining a building permit and for not getting permission from the landmarks"

He is twisting this into an issue about the flag. While South Florida has had many issues in home owners associations with respect to flying the Flag, this is not one of them. I think he will lose this specific case.

This is no different than getting a building permit for installing an antenna.

Okay - fire away.

lksteve
12-24-2006, 12:03

Okay - fire away.hmm...i think i'll take an alibi...

112thSOLCA
12-24-2006, 12:07
Okay - fire away.

Pegasus - you are probably right and The Donald is probably putting some spin on the facts.

However, I have recently become a card carrying member of "The Donald" fan club (thank you Rosie).

So I say "Why let the facts get in the way of a good story?".
GO DONALD!

Kyobanim
12-24-2006, 12:08
His pole was 80'

Well, my opinion is, if a guy has an 80 foot pole he can hang whatever or whoever he wants from it. :lifter

:D

Team Sergeant
12-24-2006, 12:46
Hate to be the Grinch - but I believe the problem is not the flag but the pole. This is a hurricane zone and there are building codes for poles > 42'. His pole was 80'.
I don't think it mattered what he flew on the pole or the size, the problem is the pole height.

"The citation was for having a flagpole taller than 42 feet, for not obtaining a building permit and for not getting permission from the landmarks"

He is twisting this into an issue about the flag. While South Florida has had many issues in home owners associations with respect to flying the Flag, this is not one of them. I think he will lose this specific case.

Okay - fire away.

While this may surprise you I actually read the entire article before I posted it.;)

What you do not seem to understand is Mr Trump.

Having read about him for the past few decades I have little doubt that the characteristics that make him successful are the same characteristics that make him a formidable adversary. One of those characteristics being; he doesn’t take no for an answer and I don’t think he sits well with being told what to do especially by the Palm Beach city officials.

Never underestimate the resolve of a man such as this one.

I’ll wager that that flag continues to fly at the height and size it is currently at for a good long time. I’m also betting that rosie issues a public apology in the next few months, probably on the same tv show she insulted Mr. Trump on.;)

TS

Guy
12-24-2006, 14:54
I have never seen a Pay Per View in my life, but if he would punch Fat Rosie in the mouth, I would pay to watch that.

TRTrump has lost his mind...in a good way! I don't think him and Rosie will be sharing a table any time soon.:lifter

Stay safe.

pegasus
12-24-2006, 15:40
I’ll wager that that flag continues to fly at the height and size it is currently at for a good long time. ;)

TS

Are you willing to wager he will not pay a fine? :munchin

This is a publicity stunt; this is nothing like this case (http://www.ccfj.net/flyoldglory45.html). Where was "the Donald" when help was needed? Nowhere. He violated building codes and for $250/day it would been all over. BTW - I don't care about the Shrillary Siblings.

Merry Christmas :)

hoot72
12-24-2006, 19:04
Why could the Palm Beach officials have settled this behind closed doors and had him get an EI report and certification from qualified engineers that the 80 foot pole was hurricane-safe? With the right mechanics and engineering, I am sure this wouldnt have been an issue.

But then again, our man Donnie loves publicity. I think it helps him elevate his huge ego. But having said that, the guy is a success story.

Whatever it is, this could have been settled in some other way without making a big hooh-hah about it...

Gypsy
12-24-2006, 19:25
Something tells me Trump will prevail. Either way, he got major points for slamming his "little fat rosie" the other day. :D

I hope he wins.

All damages awarded to the club would be donated to veterans of the war in Iraq, the lawsuit said.

Bill Harsey
12-24-2006, 20:46
I was going with the rosie thing too.

Oops, did I forget to use an upper case letter somewhere? :D

The Reaper
12-24-2006, 21:18
I was going with the rosie thing too.

Oops, did I forget to use an upper case letter somewhere? :D

Spoon control!!!

TR

Pete
12-25-2006, 05:34
Spoon control!!!

TR

Spoon Control she ain't got.

Pete

The Reaper
12-25-2006, 08:19
Spoon Control she ain't got.

Pete

The spoon is as much to blame for her fat ass as guns are for crime, a distinction she is conveniently unaware of.

TR

brownapple
12-25-2006, 08:42
I'm a fan of both Donald Trump and George Steinbrenner. Both have huge egos, but they put their money and their mouths in the right places (Steinbrenner contributes extensively to SOWF).

The Reaper
12-25-2006, 10:39
I'm a fan of both Donald Trump and George Steinbrenner. Both have huge egos, but they put their money and their mouths in the right places (Steinbrenner contributes extensively to SOWF).

Steinbrenner and his trust do a lot in the Tampa area, where the Yankee's spring camp is, and most of it is anonymous.

That seems to be surprising, for a man with his reputed ego, but he definitely gives back to the community selflessly.

TR

Intel_Airman
12-27-2006, 03:51

I love every dollar Steinbrenner spends and doesn't win a World Series (thanks Marlins). Donald Trump is making a stand these days for what he believes in and I support it. At his state, it isn't about money anymore; it's about principle. Go Trump, hang your oversized flag. If a hurricane approaches, be responsible and pull it down.

hoot72
12-27-2006, 18:41
I love every dollar Steinbrenner spends and doesn't win a World Series (thanks Marlins). Donald Trump is making a stand these days for what he believes in and I support it. At his state, it isn't about money anymore; it's about principle. Go Trump, hang your oversized flag. If a hurricane approaches, be responsible and pull it down.

I would suggest it is far easier to go on principles and to make a stand when one has alot of money but not so easy when one is down and out and must forgo principles frst and formost and commit to the needs and wants of a government even if it means sacrificing patriotic values...

I still believe the tampa boys could have handled this more delicately instead of trying to make a scene.....there are other solutions to this without having to take trumpy to court..

The Reaper
12-27-2006, 20:03
I would suggest it is far easier to go on principles and to make a stand when one has alot of money but not so easy when one is down and out and must forgo principles frst and formost and commit to the needs and wants of a government even if it means sacrificing patriotic values...

I still believe the tampa boys could have handled this more delicately instead of trying to make a scene.....there are other solutions to this without having to take trumpy to court..

He isn't having a problem in Tampa, his home (and flag) are in Palm Beach. They are not the same, or close to one another.

TR

bost1751
12-27-2006, 20:55
The Donald has my vote. You gotta love him for standing up for the flag as well as for hammering fat ass Rosie.

pegasus
12-30-2006, 13:28
Trump just raised the stakes....link (http://www.wpbf.com/entertainment/10622007/detail.html?rss=wpb&psp=news)

Hipshot
12-30-2006, 13:52
Trump just raised the stakes....link (http://www.wpbf.com/entertainment/10622007/detail.html?rss=wpb&psp=news)

What really surprises me is the number of vets living in the Palm Beach area that would put up with this idioticy from the city govenment. Go Donald - Stick to your guns!

Warrior-Mentor
01-06-2007, 20:49

I'm with you Bill.

Check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p0-pDwbH28

pegasus
02-12-2007, 19:40
Rather than start a new thread.....

http://www courant com/news/local/hc-ewdflag0206.artfeb06,0,5464860.story?coll=hc-big-headlines-breaking

Soldier's Mother Defiant

Woman Flies Flags In Her Son's Honor, Despite Condo Group's Rule Against Them

By LYNN DOAN
Courant Staff Writer

February 6 2007

EAST WINDSOR -- Cpl. Tony Donihee came home from Afghanistan to the sight of the American flag waving outside his mother's condominium.

And he beamed.

His mother, Teresa Richard, said he was so moved by her gesture that he saluted the flag at the end of his several-week visit in August.

Now back in Afghanistan, Donihee, a member of the Connecticut National Guard, calls his mother about once every two weeks to talk, and to ask if the flag is still there. But since his visit, Richard has received several warnings from her condominium association that the flag, hanging from a pole in her front lawn, is in violation of "common area" rules.

The last letter from the Stoughton Ridge Condominium Association arrived in January, notifying her that the American flag, along with her Blue Star flag hung by mothers of soldiers, will be tolerated until Labor Day weekend. Every day after that, she will be subject to a $25 fine.

But Richard is standing firm and vows not to lower her flags after Labor Day, or any other day.

The flags, an acknowledgement of her son fighting for freedom, will remain just outside her kitchen window, where she leans over to watch them flutter every morning while making coffee and every night before heading to bed.

"I haven't heard from Tony for a week, and I don't know when I'll hear from him again. People don't know what that's like," she said, leaning across her kitchen sink to get a better view of her flags. "Right now, that's my son. That's my connection."

Richard has been trying to gain the support of residents, veterans and politicians, with limited success.

The East Windsor Veterans Commission sent a letter Friday to Richard's condo association urging it not to destroy an "honorable and long tradition."

"We feel the American flag should be flown any place, any time, without any restrictions," commission Chairman Warren Wenz said. "This isn't Nazi Germany or Japan during World War II. This is America."

Richard is waiting for other heavy hitters to weigh in, hopefully on her side. Richard has contacted the offices of U.S. Rep. John Larson, D-1st District, U.S. Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., and state Rep. Ted Graziani, D-Ellington. They have yet to respond, she said.

"They said they'd get back to me, but I never heard from them," she said.

Meanwhile, the veterans commission letter has prompted little reaction from the association. Mark Kubera, the complex's property manager, and Kevin Carson, president of the association's board of directors, did not return several telephone calls from The Courant seeking comment.

A letter signed by Kubera in late August notifies Richard that "no flags, including the American flag, may be displayed from poles in planting beds or any common or limited common areas." The rule was adopted into the association's rules and regulations in October 2004, according to the letter.

Two years before the rule was adopted, the association had a similar run-in with some residents who had pitched and hung flags outside their condos. A few received letters from the property manager at the time, requesting the flags be removed.

One resident, Gene Doering, refused and hired an attorney, threatening to sue. He said he hasn't heard from the association since.

An American flag still hangs from a pole on his front lawn.

"I was surprised that [the association] even wanted to tackle the issue," Doering said. "I mean, what is wrong with these people?"

Both Doering and Richard cited Public Law 109-243 as their legal right to display the American flag. The federal bill, passed in July 2006, prohibits a condominium association from adopting a policy that "would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association."

So Richard continues her personal crusade.

Her voice cracks and she takes a minute to wipe away tears as she pulls out a letter she has written to President Bush. She said she's still relying on her elected officials to step up.

Meanwhile, she said, at least she can enjoy a seven-month reprieve.

Richard received a call from her son last week. He asked: "Mom, are my flags still up?"

She replied: "Yes, they are."

Contact Lynn Doan at ldoan@courant.com.

82ndtrooper
02-12-2007, 23:41
Well, my opinion is, if a guy has an 80 foot pole he can hang whatever or whoever he wants from it. :lifter

:D

I knew someone would go there sooner or later. :p