PDA

View Full Version : NS Advisor's Sworn Testimony to the 9/11 Commision

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 11:47
For those that saw it, how did Dr. Rice do?

BMT (RIP)
04-08-2004, 12:01
I think she did a very good job of handling the DIM-WITS.

BMT

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 12:06
Any surprises?

BMT (RIP)
04-08-2004, 12:11
I don't really think there were any surprises. She did say CONGRESS need to fix the problem of the CIA and FBI talking to each other.

BMT

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 12:15
I just saw the former WH Counsel say they still aren't talking between the FBI and CIA. I don't know if he would know, but I kind of think he's right. I would be looking for a new DCI and FBI Director if I were on POTUS team for 04-08. One mistake I think they makde in 2000 was not kicking out the homesteaders, Tenet, Clark, etc.

SITH
04-08-2004, 12:19
Full transcript (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,116563,00.html)

Jimbo
04-08-2004, 18:29
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I just saw the former WH Counsel say they still aren't talking between the FBI and CIA.

I know for a fact they are not and no change in leadership will change that.

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2004, 18:38
Originally posted by Jimbo
I know for a fact they are not and no change in leadership will change that.

One would - put one of us in a room with the Directors.

We'd have a pound meeting.

Gypsy
04-08-2004, 19:12
I think Dr. Rice was outstanding in both her demeanor and her answers. I especially enjoyed the fact that she would not allow herself to be railroaded when a few of the people tried to cut her off while she was answering their questions.

Maya
04-08-2004, 20:52
She was brilliant in her delivery and preparation. She did in fact steal the thunder of a couple of the commissioners soap box blathering by answering their "questions", rather than allowing them to make political statements at her expense and GW's. I was under the impression that this gathering was supposed to be a fact-finding effort so that we could prevent a future occurrence. It seemed to me that some the commission was more interested in making statements of their opinions and political grandstanding than listening to the one real representative, NSA / Dr C. Rice, from the only administration, GW’s, in several decades that IS actually doing something about terrorism and doing something to rebuild our intelligence and national security abilities, not to mention taking the fight to the enemies of this country.

She alluded to previous administrations and their desire to treat terrorism as a law enforcement problem, with grand juries, that keep the intelligence data VIA Grand Juries, being used and shared between agencies, for legal reasons. To protect who’s rights? Al Qaeda’s?? Sadam’s??, cover who’s butt??…Janet’s??…Bill’s??

This is one great point she brought up.

“RICE: Yet, as your hearings have shown, there was no silver bullet that could have prevented the 9/11 attacks.

In hindsight, if anything might have helped stop 9/11, it would have been better information about threats inside the United States -- something made very difficult by structural and legal impediments that prevented the collection and sharing of information by our law enforcement and intelligence agencies.

I do not believe that it is a good analysis to go back and assume that somehow maybe we would have gotten lucky by, quote, "shaking the trees." Dick Clarke was shaking the trees, director of central intelligence was shaking the trees, director of the FBI was shaking the trees. We had a structural problem in the United States.

RICE: We had a structural problem in the United States, and that structural problem was that we did not share domestic and foreign intelligence in a way to make a product for policymakers, for good reasons -- for legal reasons, for cultural reasons -- a product that people could depend upon.â€

Well said! Thank goodness somebody had a brain in that hearing room today…thank you Dr. Rice!

Maya

Sigi
04-09-2004, 08:53
Originally posted by Gypsy
I think Dr. Rice was outstanding in both her demeanor and her answers. I especially enjoyed the fact that she would not allow herself to be railroaded when a few of the people tried to cut her off while she was answering their questions.

She OWNED them.
Dem: "Did you or did you not receive reliable information, from the Clinton Administration, that said that Osama Bin Laden was preparing to attack the United States vital interests?"
Condi: "Yes, we did. And we held numerous meetings to discuss that intel. The January 25th memo you are refering to said to expect 'Something Big'. Now tell me Senator, how do you defend against 'Something Big'?"

She is sharp as a tack, and backed Beneviste down hard. The Senator asked her to read the title of a memo ("Osama is planning attacks on America"), but not the message of the memo ("But we don't know where, how or when.") She read the whole memo anyway.

Game, set, match. Condi 1, crybaby political hacks 0. Bet you they won't be asking her back to testify.

Roguish Lawyer
04-09-2004, 11:06
I am convinced that the Dems are attacking Dr. Rice only because she's black. And a woman.

LOL

The Reaper
04-09-2004, 11:26
I know you're being sarcastic, but, they run a very real risk of a significant number of the population actually believing that.

I know you're being sarcastic, but, they run a very real risk of a significant number of the population actually believing that.

500 posts more than the next closest user, and you are double tapping? :D

TR

Maya
04-09-2004, 11:30
or...because she might be a great challenger to Hilary in 2008??? Just a thought, but she is powerful, smart, articulate, and represents the great American success story lived out. Also lets do mention that she is black and a woman, it will drive the whacko libs nuts.

DEMS: "Hey, that's our claim to fame, we are the only ones with blacks, and women."

US: Talk to the hand!

Maya

NousDefionsDoc
04-09-2004, 11:33
Originally posted by The Reaper
500 posts more than the next closest user, and you are double tapping?

TR

I have no idea what you mean:D

ktek01
04-09-2004, 11:41
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I am convinced that the Dems are attacking Dr. Rice only because she's black. And a woman.

LOL

Some lawyer probably told her to sit at that table all by herself, probably so there would be no mistake who they were attacking. :D

Sigi
04-09-2004, 12:40
Originally posted by Maya
or...because she might be a great challenger to Hilary in 2008??? Just a thought, but she is powerful, smart, articulate, and represents the great American success story lived out. Also lets do mention that she is black and a woman, it will drive the whacko libs nuts.

DEMS: "Hey, that's our claim to fame, we are the only ones with blacks, and women."

US: Talk to the hand!

Maya

Not the best site, but the only one I have found so far.

http://www.rice2008.com/