Sdiver
12-20-2006, 15:46
GO HOME !!!!!!
KEEP OUT !!!!!
STAY AWAY !!!!!!
BEWARE OF DOG !!!!!!
DON'T COME HERE !!!!!!
NOTHING TO SEE HERE !!!!!!

Right now the entire Eastern side of the state and all along the Front Range is under one Hell of a Blizzard.

I-70 from the Airport East to the Kansas Line---is closed.
I-70 from Denver West to the Eisenhower Tunnel---is closed.
I-76 from Denver Northeast to the Nebraska line---is closed.
I-25 from Denver North to the Wyoming line---is closed.
I-25 from Denver South to the New Mexico line---is closed.

DIA (Denver International Airport)---CLOSED.

This storm hit early this morning, and so far I've got at least a foot (12 inches) of snow by my place. I live SW of D-town. This storm is supposed to stay with us until tomorrow afternoon. :eek:

So.....no one's leaving and no one is coming in. :munchin

CoLawman
12-20-2006, 17:13
The US Post Office cancelled delivery!!!!

What happened to Neither Snow nor rain.......

Sdiver, I have 12 inches and 3 foot drifts. People are abandoning their automobiles all over the place.........really making it impossible to plow major arterials.

The only thing that could add to this state of emergency is mass loss of electricity...........Glad I have a generator, three fireplaces, 4X4, and three snowmobiles chilling in my garage!

Gypsy
12-20-2006, 17:20
Now ya'll be nice and share with the snow lovers in the Midwest! I'm ready for some winter weather.

Sdiver
12-20-2006, 17:25
The US Post Office cancelled delivery!!!!

What happened to Neither Snow nor rain.......

Sdiver, I have 12 inches and 3 foot drifts. People are abandoning their automobiles all over the place.........really making it impossible to plow major arterials.

The only thing that could add to this state of emergency is mass loss of electricity...........Glad I have a generator, three fireplaces, 4X4, and three snowmobiles chilling in my garage!

Aaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh..........DON'T JINX US !!!!!!!

That's the only thing keeping me going.....that plus MY warrior diet (Pizza and Beer).

I just poked my head out the back door, and right now I'm at 16 inches of snow, and the drift that is on/hanging over my roof is HUGE.

I got lucky today and dodged a bullet. Was supposed to go in to work this afternoon, my shift is 2p to 2a, end of week, and I called in about 10a and asked if we're still coming in. Was told, Business as usual, come on in. Was about to leave around 1230 when I got a page telling me I didn't have to come in. Yeeeehhhhhh !!!!!

It was just announced that I-25 from New Mexico to Wyoming is closed. Even through Denver, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo. CDOT is NOT letting anyone on.....and, RTD (the bus service) is going to stop running at 1900. OUCH.

Sdiver
12-20-2006, 17:35
Now ya'll be nice and share with the snow lovers in the Midwest! I'm ready for some winter weather.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm betting, come Friday afternoon/Saturday Morning, Chi-town is going to be in the same boat. :munchin

Pete
12-20-2006, 17:51

I'm betting, come Friday afternoon/Saturday Morning, Chi-town is going to be in the same boat. :munchin

The boss man sent my brother-in-law home at noon and he took off from Denver up into the mountains. His wife said that it was coming down like crazy. They'll stay snowed in till next week. Last time it took the plow 3 days to make it by their house. So much for side road living.

Pete

The truck, the kids and me are just sitting here wishing for about 12-16 inches of white stuff.

Update from Conifer, CO - He made it home. They say it's still coming down hard. They quess it's over 1 1/2 feet so far but they're not going out to check.

They checked, 2 feet

incommin
12-20-2006, 18:15
All this talk of snow makes me wish I was still living in Duluth, MN. NOT!

Jim

Sdiver
12-20-2006, 18:21
Update from Conifer, CO - He made it home. They say it's still coming down hard. They guess it's over 1 1/2 feet so far but they're not going out to check.

They checked, 2 feet

LMAO

They just flashed snow totals on the news, and Conifer is reporting 22 inches.

x SF med
12-20-2006, 18:23
LMAO

They just flashed snow totals on the news, and Conifer is reporting 22 inches.

Funny, it was about 55* and sunny here today, quite unlike December, actually. :D

Sdiver
12-20-2006, 18:33
Funny, it was about 55* and sunny here today, quite unlike December, actually. :D

Okay....okay....okay.....bask in the glow now. But come the time when the NE has one of it's famous ICE storms and you're without power, we'll be a nice toasty 60* with sun. :D :munchin

Gypsy
12-20-2006, 20:06

I'm hoping, and I'm ready!

Pete, glad your BIL made it home safe.

Gypsy
12-20-2006, 20:10
Meh. Our weather for the next several days is rain and temps in the low to mid 40's. :rolleyes:

Kyobanim
12-20-2006, 21:06
You guys are lucky. All we've had all week here is 80 degree weather.

uboat509
12-20-2006, 21:18
Denver got hammered but after all the doom and gloom predicted by the local weather stations here in the Springs we got almost nothing. Granted the high winds (20 - 30 knots) blew a lot of snow around and made it somewhat hazardous to drive due to limited visibility but the actually ground accumulation was probably less than an inch. It was more like a snow frosting than snowfall. I am still holding out hope for a white Christmas but that hope fades a little every time I check the forecast.

SFC

Sdiver
12-20-2006, 21:31
Denver got hammered but after all the doom and gloom predicted by the local weather stations here in the Springs we got almost nothing. Granted the high winds (20 - 30 knots) blew a lot of snow around and made it somewhat hazardous to drive due to limited visibility but the actually ground accumulation was probably less than an inch. It was more like a snow frosting than snowfall. I am still holding out hope for a white Christmas but that hope fades a little every time I check the forecast.

SFC

Really. The weather people keep showing the radar and it's nothing but "blue" showing the storm wrapping around itself, from the center of Nebraska all the way down to the CO/NM border.

But if you want a white Christmas, I'm sure we can send you down a few truck loads. We've got plenty to spare. :D

lksteve
12-20-2006, 21:38
I-70 from the Airport East to the Kansas Line---is closed.
I-70 from Denver West to the Eisenhower Tunnel---is closed.
I-76 from Denver Northeast to the Nebraska line---is closed.
I-25 from Denver North to the Wyoming line---is closed.
I-25 from Denver South to the New Mexico line---is closed.i used to live on US 666 in Dove Creek (before sensitivity set in and the road was redesignated US 492)...we would get two or three storms a year that would close the road from Shiprock NM to Monticello UT...couldn't go to work...just had to sit at home and keep wood on the fire and snow off the satellite dish...

man, i miss that...:boohoo

CoLawman
12-21-2006, 05:54
Still snowing and windy. Woke up at 0400 hrs and noticed it was a little cold in the castle. Hmmmmmmm....furnace not coming on. Light bulb comes on above me head! Yep snow had drifted over the outside furnace vent!

Carbon Monoxide was reading 23.....it always reads 0.

Out I go to shovel the drift away from the vent. Come back in turn the thermostat to off........to reset........and then to "On" and bingo........heat!

I imagine the HVAC people never envisioned a snowdrift blocking the vents!

Thank goodness for all the safety stuff on furnaces these days.

They will be talking about the 2006 Blizzard for years to come. One of the best storms we have had since Global Warming kicked in. :D

The Reaper
12-21-2006, 09:22
More ammo for the "Be Prepared" thread.

Feel free to share your thoughts on your planning, preparation, and execution phases.

Appreciate it.

TR

Sdiver
12-21-2006, 11:11
Ugh !!!

So far the snow total at my place is at 25 inches. That's in the back yard, where the house blocked that North wind. The front of the house.......fagetaboutit. My truck is buried in a huge snow drift. :eek: , and we're still expecting another 4-7 inches down here before this thing is over.

There is no one....I mean NO ONE, moving on the streets. CDOT has pretty much given up on the snow removal. As soon as they clear a section of road, an hour later, it's covered up.

The Holiday Blizzard, as they're calling it, is one for the books. :munchin

x SF med
12-21-2006, 11:23
So, Diver - have you gotten all of your shopping done? Or were you being a 'guy' and leaving it till the absolute last minute? It would suck if you had to wrap boxes of ammo for the kids as IOUs. :rolleyes:

Sdiver
12-21-2006, 11:36
So, Diver - have you gotten all of your shopping done? Or were you being a 'guy' and leaving it till the absolute last minute? It would suck if you had to wrap boxes of ammo for the kids as IOUs. :rolleyes:

Nope....shopping is done.

Presents and cards are wrapped......it's just they're STILL HERE !!!!:eek:

Went to the post office Tuesday night, to use the self service station, that's open all the time, well.....it was doing it's daily self check and was going to be down for at least an hour or so. Why oh why, don't that schedule that thing to do that at ohhhhhh....0300, when no one would be there, instead of at 2200. :rolleyes:

That's okay, because the USPS isn't delivering today either, so it looks like I won't have my Nana's cookies until later....hopefully not too much later, because I get cranky when I don't have my Nana's Christmas Cookies. :mad:

Pete
12-21-2006, 12:57
In their draw outside of Conifer they have about 4 feet and a little light snow still falling. Their little 5' totem guy has snow up to his chin. Their friend plowed their drive last night but they got another 1 1/2 feet so they're waiting on him to come by again.

Good day to build a fire and hang out on the net. No problems for them reported. They sent pictures, the tree limbs are groaning under the snow and the deck is covered to the rails.

"Be Prepared"

JMI
12-21-2006, 13:28
"This thread is useless without pics."

Stay safe.

Sdiver
12-21-2006, 14:11
"This thread is useless without pics."

Stay safe.

Trust me, I wish I could.

I've got a digital camera, but I have now way of uploading the pictures. One thing I forgot to take into account, when I got my CPU/tower from a buddy of mine back in Seattle was.....there's no USB port on the CPU/tower.

D'oh :rolleyes: :eek:

Roycroft201
12-22-2006, 00:52
Thank goodness for all the safety stuff on furnaces these days.

Really !

Glad all is well with you and the family, CoLawman.

Firebeef
12-22-2006, 09:29
Surviving, at work driving a fire engine with idiots all around!
I just wanted to reiterate all COlawman and Sdiver have said and would like to ask the question:

Where's global warming when you really need it most???

x SF med
12-22-2006, 09:49
I just wanted to reiterate all COlawman and Sdiver have said and would like to ask the question:

Doug,
are the idiots on the Truck, in the Truck, or around the Truck - and are they wearing the same uniform as you? Or do you mean the civilians who have no reason to be on the road?

Too easy, Bro - thanks for the marshmallow pitch.:D

CoLawman
12-22-2006, 11:47
Here are some pictures from my home.

No. 1 photo is looking out the sunroom toward the swimming pool.

No. 2 photo is in my driveway.

Sdiver
12-22-2006, 11:50

Was wondering how you were doing. Now I see you had one heck of a FUN time up there. :D

Saw some pics on the news yesterday, of DFD's trucks getting stuck and almost wiping out cars abandoned on the streets. :eek:

Now comes the REAL fun part. The snow that fell was what they call "Champagne Snow", nice and light and fluffy. Now with the night;y freezes coming up, the snow is freezing and compressing in one itself. Making for a nice layer of ICE underneath it. That was one of the nice things I found yesterday, was when I was shoveling out my truck, just how easy it was to move the snow, all the way down to the pavement. Just went out and checked on it, and there's a nice layer of ice all around it.

Gonna be fun going into work today. :rolleyes:

Sdiver
12-22-2006, 11:52
Here are some pictures from my home.

No. 1 photo is looking out the sunroom toward the swimming pool.

No. 2 photo is in my driveway.

Yep, about what my place looks like too. :munchin

CoLawman
12-22-2006, 11:56
Really !

Glad all is well with you and the family, CoLawman.

Thanks. Considering Carbon monoxide poisoning is "epidemic" this winter, spending $50.00 on a good detector is as important if not more so than a smoke detector. Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer. I had the misfortune of investigating an entire families demise to such a killer. Firebeef may have responded on it as well. A real tragedy.

x SF med
12-22-2006, 12:00
All you guys out in CO keep safe - I know we joke around, but there are people that really don't think on the roads or in their homes. If it starts really icing under the snow you guys are going to be even busier; 'cause cars need friction to stop, and ice ain't got none.

Sdiver
12-22-2006, 12:25
Thanks. Considering Carbon monoxide poisoning is "epidemic" this winter, spending $50.00 on a good detector is as important if not more so than a smoke detector. Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer. I had the misfortune of investigating an entire families demise to such a killer. Firebeef may have responded on it as well. A real tragedy.

That's the truth right there. Made sure mine was up and running, when the storm came roaring in.

Very easy to over look this little device, and IMO, I think a C.M. detector is just a weeee bit more important than a smoke detector. As the LawDog above stated, C.M. is a "Silent Killer". You don't really know you;re suffering from C.M. poisoning until it's too late.

Along with a smoke detector, get yourself a Carbon Monoxide detector too, and check BOTH at the same time.

CoLawman
12-22-2006, 12:47
Being prepared included assistance from 10th SFG!

Every home needs one.... to do the heavy lifting. :lifter

Sdiver
12-28-2006, 12:43
Stand-by to Stand-by.

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

We're getting hit with ANOTHER storm, exactly like the last one. 12-20 inches expected here in the Denver metro area, which translates into 20-30 inches. All this by tomorrow night.

What sucks about this is....I JUST GOT MY STREET CLEARED YESTERDAY !!!! :boohoo

I hear one more person talk to me about Global Warming....I'm gonna poke them in the eye.

x SF med
12-28-2006, 13:00
It's like 40* here. This snowstorm crap is getting to be a weekly occurrence, isn't it. If you poke anybody in the eye, borrow NDDs pointy stick with the nail in the end, it makes it more fun.

Seriously, All of you Coloradans - stay safe.

CoLawman
12-28-2006, 19:08
Dateline: Colorado 122806
Here we go again!

x SF med
12-28-2006, 19:57
Dateline: Colorado 122806
Here we go again!

And it's not even Groundhog Day yet, you doing ok with the snow?

longrange1947
12-28-2006, 20:42
Stay safe guys!!

Firebeef
12-28-2006, 21:59
ok so I'm a little late from the last storm, this was on the south side of the building. we have about 3 fresh inches at 2100 L, more to follow.

letinsh
12-28-2006, 22:43
6+ inches today here at the north end of the Springs with 10"-12" more expected.:lifter

CoLawman
12-29-2006, 00:00
Doug that photo is just toooooo funny!!!!

SF Med, Thanks we are doing well. Wind is picking up so it should be a "blizzard" shortly. Snow is wet, worried about trees and power outages with this wet one!

Got a call from Brady he and another 10th Grouper have been on I-70 coming from skiing (Keystone) since 1400 hrs. They have just passed through Idaho Springs. That is normally a 45 minute drive. It took 9 hours. They are half way down the mountain...........sheesh!

Sdiver
12-29-2006, 05:13
About a good foot of NEW snow by my place. Can't wait to see what I wake up to tomorrow.

I've got a feeling, I won't be going into work. :munchin

x SF med
12-29-2006, 07:35
I sure hope you guys and gals in CO got snow blowers for Christmas, or maybe a nice flamethrower, or some napalm to get rid of all that white stuff.

Any more word on the guys coming down the mountain from skiing? Did they make it home safely?

CoLawman
12-29-2006, 08:34
I sure hope you guys and gals in CO got snow blowers for Christmas, or maybe a nice flamethrower, or some napalm to get rid of all that white stuff.

Any more word on the guys coming down the mountain from skiing? Did they make it home safely?

Woke up at 0600 hrs. and called them. They made it home just before the sun came up! I did not sleep well! When does a father quit worrying?

I believe we are in the "eye of the storm". Should have enough time to use the snowblower before the second punch hits.

Gypsy
12-29-2006, 11:14
Woke up at 0600 hrs. and called them. They made it home just before the sun came up! I did not sleep well! When does a father quit worrying?

Glad to hear it. According to my father, never. I'm 48 and still his "baby girl".

CoLawman
12-29-2006, 22:00
Glad to hear it. According to my father, never. I'm 48 and still his "baby girl".

Gypsy,

That brought an instant smile to my face.......albeit foreboding.

Pete
12-29-2006, 22:06
The way things are going with Global Warming this thread might be bumped back to the top every week through spring.:D

Hmmm, wounder what the long range forcast for next week is for CO?

Please, Please send some our way, about 18-24"s.

Pete

Sdiver
12-29-2006, 23:17
The way things are going with Global Warming this thread might be bumped back to the top every week through spring.:D

Hmmm, wounder what the long range forecast for next week is for CO?

Pete

It's possible. Right now the Storm warning and watches for the Denver area have been lifted. Only expecting a couple of more inches through tonight and tomorrow. But the Eastern plains and Southeast part of the state are still getting hammered.

The long range forecast says, 20's tomorrow and Sun. mid 30's Mon and Tues, and up into the 40's on Wed. with some SUN.

But....

They're watching ANOTHER system in the Pacific, that is shaping up like these past two.

So Pete.....I'll be MORE than happy to send you some snow from my front yard, and I'm sure CoLawMan and Firebeef can pitch in too. We've got plenty to spare.

x SF med
12-29-2006, 23:19
Hey Diver- better break out the Ramers and Hanwegs! Better than cars in the crap you've been getting, not really good, but better than cars.

edited to correct spelling.

Sdiver
12-29-2006, 23:29
Hey Diver- better break out the Ramers and Hanegs! Better than cars in the crap you've been getting, not really good, but better than cars.

Actually I'm looking at investing in a bunch of Huskies for a good sled dog team.

I just need to brush up on the terminology.....now where'd I put my copy of Call of the Wild ????

The Reaper
12-29-2006, 23:32
I got an old copy of REO Speedwagon playing "Ridin' the Storm Out".

Maybe you guys could use that instead?

TR

x SF med
12-30-2006, 10:23
I got an old copy of REO Speedwagon playing "Ridin' the Storm Out".

Maybe you guys could use that instead?

TR

Vinyl? I bet it is.... I wonder whatever happened to my copy of the Doors "Riders on the Storm" (and yes, I used to have a lot of vinyl, but it was all appropriated by my younger brother when I enlisted)

Pete
12-30-2006, 23:22
Sis is in Albuquerque on the east side up near the base of the Mountains.

She said she got 9" from the first storm and 15" from the second. Couple of houses on her little side street are out of power and it might be a few days before the city clears out the side streets. Without a 4x4 they are staying put for the next few days.

Dang, all my relatives are snowed in all over the country and here I sit with the only 4x4 in the family. And the only one who loves snow. And.....

Pete

Sdiver
12-31-2006, 00:40

She said she got 9" from the first storm and 15" from the second. Couple of houses on her little side street are out of power and it might be a few days before the city clears out the side streets. Without a 4x4 they are staying put for the next few days.

Dang, all my relatives are snowed in all over the country and here I sit with the only 4x4 in the family. And the only one who loves snow. And.....

Pete

Pete, no disrespect intended, and here's hoping that all your family is doing well, but.......

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :D :D :D

x SF med
12-31-2006, 08:56

Pete

SGM-
Maybe you ought to get the rest of the family read the "Be Prepared" thread? Just a thought, could help. Or you could run a Wintex for them....

We need an update from the CO crew - how's everything out there in the snowy section of the country? Are you guys and gals keepin' on?

Pete
12-31-2006, 10:05
...Maybe you ought to get the rest of the family read the "Be Prepared" thread? Just a thought, could help. ...

The Brother in Law in Conifer and my Brother in Aurora (east side of Denver)stay prepared. Each Family just hunkers down until things clear. Both doing fine right now.

Sis and Hubby, Albuq., were clearing the side walk yesterday when a neighbor from up the street came by in a 4x4. He was knocking on doors and running people down to one of the only stores that were open. Sis took the ride just to pick up some odds and ends, but mainly just to get a look around town. She said there were lots who were "Not Perpared".

The upper Iowa, southern MN crowd, heck, snow and bad weather, no problem. Just run the farm plow down the 1/4 mile driveway one more time. :D

Pete

Part of a big family of people standing on their own two feet.

The Reaper
12-31-2006, 11:15
You know, I hate to say it, but Pete, you make me think that perhaps disasters provide us with periodic opportunities to cleanse the gene pool of those who refuse to take prudent measures to ensure their own safety and survival.

I do feel sorry for kids and the elderly who are dependent on others and who suffer the consequences of others' stupidity.

I suspect that the odds for survival would favor conservatives and libertarians, and eliminate great numbers of the underclass and liberal democratic base.

I am truly glad to hear that your family was prepared and able to make out well during the storms. I suspect that most of the members of this board would as well.

Damn, this manmade global warming must be tough!

TR

echoes
12-31-2006, 11:49
I do feel sorry for kids and the elderly who are dependent on others and who suffer the consequences of others' stupidity.

I suspect that the odds for survival would favor conservatives and libertarians, and eliminate great numbers of the underclass and liberal democratic base.

TR

Sir, that is so true.
FWIW, We just had a huge ice & snow storm here in Tulsa a few weeks ago, but had to make it out to my job. Had prepared blankets, water and phone beforehad, and headed out into it.

Funny thing was, when calling our HQ, no-one had reported in. It makes you wonder about the capability of folks nowadays to react to sudden emergencies, IMHO. :confused:

Hope you are all safe in CO,

Holly

Firebeef
12-31-2006, 12:07
Film at 1100

It's pretty much over here at FS# 4 in Greeley. Sunny and cold as a well diggers 4th point of contact, but the new snow polishes up and hides all the "black" snow. I hadn't seen black snow since the Army decided I'd be better off as a recruiter in Syracuse recruiting Battalion!!
Only real fallout from this storm was my son couldn't get married Friday. They closed all the county offices, courts etc preemptively, and then we "only" got 7". Her folks are from Yuma, (Colorado that is) and couldn't get over this a ways, so maybe my chief will be the officiating official before my kid heads back to finish off BCT at Ft Jackson.... providing her folks can dig out. Thanks for everyones thoughts in our "time of crisis"
for those prepared, it was no big deal....
kinda cleansing in a way..... let's ya know Ma Nature really is in charge, and our only real course of action is to be prepared and hope for the best
and always have some good beer and bourbon on hand!!

Sdiver
12-31-2006, 12:41
Update Colorado---Denver Metro AO

Well the sun came out yesterday, temps were in the 20's but, warmth from the sun to help melt some of the ice/snow on the roads, side streets especially.

Today....more of the same. Sun with temps in the 20's. Stores are starting to fill back up slowly, and movement around the city is returning to somewhat normal.

Pete-----I can't believe your Sis and BIL up in Conifer don't have a 4x4. Those back roads are a pain to get around not only in the snow, but during the summer with those great big rain storms that rumble through. Can wash out those dirt roads in a NY minute. I know, the next truck I get will be 4x4. I'm old enough now, that the insurance rates won't be TOO bad.

and always have some good beer and bourbon on hand!!

Okay....I'll know were to go when we get stuck up there again, having to get a transfer out of Platte Valley Hospital, having to come back to the city. :D

Firebeef
12-31-2006, 19:30
you gotsta have your priorities in order, son!!

Sdiver
01-03-2007, 11:03

Hmmm, wounder what the long range forcast for next week is for CO?

Pete

Okay Pete,

Did you get a used crystal ball from an 18-F for Christmas? :confused:

We're expecting ANOTHER storm in here Thursday night. We're expecting a couple more inches here, but the northern mountains might get clobbered.

Team Sergeant
01-03-2007, 11:13
Just so you Colo types know, I'll be there, in Co, in about 60 days. Ya'll better have that place opened for business by then!;)

TS

CoLawman
01-03-2007, 19:01
Just so you Colo types know, I'll be there, in Co, in about 60 days. Ya'll better have that place opened for business by then!;)

TS

Are you visiting your brother?
Are you coming on business?
Do you have any built in free time?

Team Sergeant
01-03-2007, 19:31
Are you visiting your brother?
Are you coming on business?
Do you have any built in free time?

LOL, PM sent.

Firebeef
01-04-2007, 10:16
Roma's again? maybe with a tad more free time?

or should we show him Greeley's upper-crust and take him to Roasty's??

whaddy think Keith?

Sdiver
01-04-2007, 11:44
Roma's again? maybe with a tad more free time?

whaddy think Keith?

:eek: You mean Greeley has an upper crust ????

Well wait a sec....you all did get a nice new Target store up there, so yeah I can see you all "Movin' On Up".

Kyobanim
01-04-2007, 12:35
Well wait a sec....you all did get a nice new Target store up there, so yeah I can see you all "Movin' On Up".

That's Targete'

Team Sergeant
01-04-2007, 12:51

Roasty's sounds great, the "Doctor" will be with me this time.;)

TS

CPTAUSRET
01-04-2007, 13:32
Roasty's sounds great, the "Doctor" will be with me this time.;)

TS

You guys know that Greely is only a 6 hour drive to Santa Fe...

Firebeef
01-04-2007, 14:23
I've made Santa Fe in 5! We'll send ya a PM with bona-fidas and a strip map to Roasty's!

CPTAUSRET
01-04-2007, 15:12
I've made Santa Fe in 5! We'll send ya a PM with bona-fidas and a strip map to Roasty's!

Well, I was just going by what mapquest told me. I always plan my trips by what time I will be travelling through Co Springs.

I figured you guys could come visit me! "Road Trip"!:)

Blue
01-04-2007, 21:18
Oh SDiver, it'll be 73 and sunny in Fayetteville on Saturday. I'll be thinking of you as I hit the mountain biking trails....:p .

x SF med
01-04-2007, 21:23
Oh SDiver, it'll be 73 and sunny in Fayetteville on Saturday. I'll be thinking of you as I hit the mountain biking trails....:p .

ok, that is definitely gonna leave a mark. Welcome back Ms Blue.

CoLawman
01-05-2007, 10:36
It @#$% snowed again!

Gentlemen of Colorado and New Mexico, I propose we all meet TS and his family at the ski resort of his choosing, and force him off the Green trails.:D

Blue
01-05-2007, 10:43
ok, that is definitely gonna leave a mark. Welcome back Ms Blue.

Oh, I'm like herpes. Always around even if you don't see me :D.

Aaahhh....that was just wrong LOL.

Sdiver
01-05-2007, 12:11
It @#$% snowed again!

Gentlemen of Colorado and New Mexico, I propose we all meet TS and his family at the ski resort of his choosing, and force him off the Green trails.:D

7 inches by my place......:rolleyes:

You know.....I don't think we're going to have to worry about a drought this summer....if it EVER comes.

Keith, you're a mean one. Forcing TS down a Green trail with all the snow that's up there......I'd at least give him a fighting chance and force him down a "Bunny" hill, unless you've got something more "sinister" in mind.......

Edit to add....

Ms. Blue.......

Pfffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttt

That is all.

mike-munich
01-05-2007, 12:17
Dang, I hope the snow is gone when my plane comes in on 05/05/07. I have enough snow here in the Alps ! :p

Stay safe over there !

x SF med
01-05-2007, 18:11
Oh, I'm like herpes. Always around even if you don't see me :D.

Aaahhh....that was just wrong LOL.

Ms Blue - that was not just wrong - but waaaaay wrong on a cosmic level, it's gonna come back and bite you on the a$$, with fangs.

lksteve
01-05-2007, 20:36
You mean Greeley has an upper crust ????cowpies do get a bit crusty once they start to dry...

Peregrino
01-05-2007, 22:05

I've got a rifle match myself. Thankfully it's only going to be 73; wouldn't want to break a sweat in January. That and it's nice not to have to worry about snowblindness either. :p Hopefully the winds won't be too bad on the back side of this rain. Peregrino

CoLawman
01-06-2007, 00:55
cowpies do get a bit crusty once they start to dry...

That is just not playing nice!:p

Blue
01-07-2007, 12:43
Ms Blue - that was not just wrong - but waaaaay wrong on a cosmic level, it's gonna come back and bite you on the a$$, with fangs.

My karma is already horribly screwed since I'm consistently "wrong". I've gotten used to it :).

Nice avatar. Reminds me of an ex-boyfriend :D.

lksteve
01-07-2007, 15:20
Nice avatar. Reminds me of an ex-boyfriend that's gonna leave a mark...:eek:

Sdiver
01-10-2007, 12:40
Get ready for Round 4, Gents.

Next system is expected in here, sometime Thursday afternoon, and it's supposed to be a COLD one too. High temps, in the single digits, here along the front range.

Nerts......:boohoo

Monsoon65
01-11-2007, 09:02
I got this in an email today:

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here, in the Northern Plains, we just recov ered from a Historic
event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" ---
with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90
MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds
of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads , isolated scores
of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV .

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5
snowstorm.

Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Reilly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No
Geraldo Rivera.

No Sean Penn, No Barbra Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a
penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments
delivered it to the snowbound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman
lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of
a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades
votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this
early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about
48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to me.

Firebeef
01-11-2007, 17:41
Monsoon

as the first snow flakes start flying on round 4.....your email put a big smile on my face!! Today already, our temperature dropped from 43 to 20 in about the last 3 hours. It's been snowin that real light ball shaped REALLY cold snowflakes for about an hour now.

Where's Jesse Jackson when you really need him???

Monsoon65
01-11-2007, 19:32
Monsoon

as the first snow flakes start flying on round 4.....your email put a big smile on my face!! Today already, our temperature dropped from 43 to 20 in about the last 3 hours. It's been snowin that real light ball shaped REALLY cold snowflakes for about an hour now.

Where's Jesse Jackson when you really need him???

Glad to make someone's day with that post!

Strike early! Now's the time to get the order in for your blue tarp, FEMA trailer and $2000 debt card!!

Sdiver
01-12-2007, 02:23
Monsoon,

I will be forwarding that e-mail of yours on the many other people. It speaks volumes of how things really are.

Thanks for the laugh.

Sdiver
01-12-2007, 11:20
Just a light dusting on snow down here, just colder than a witches T*t in a brass brazier down here. Single digits for the high today.

Beef and Law-man....how you all fairing up there?

echoes
01-12-2007, 13:14
Greetings!

Well, here in Oklahoma we have been placed under a "State of Emergency", and oh my.
After reading TR's "Prepared" thread, I realize I have no generator.:rolleyes:

The ice is comin down real hard now, just hope the power stays on.

Holly

Firebeef
01-13-2007, 11:32
I got this from our Dive Team leader, who got this from SSI in Ft Collins
Who says you have to go on a vacation to go snorkelling???

vsvo
01-13-2007, 12:10
LOL - that is true dedication!

Pic reminds me of a certain Seinfeld episode, where the woman walks in on George while he's changing after a swim . . .

Y'all stay safe out there.

Sdiver
01-13-2007, 12:44
I got this from our Dive Team leader, who got this from SSI in Ft Collins
Who says you have to go on a vacation to go snorkelling???

LMMFAO....:D :D :D

Blue
01-13-2007, 12:56
Funny, but apples and oranges. I will not defend the behavior of certain citizens of New Orleans, but one cannot compare being stranded in a snow storm or being without power for a few days or even weeks to having your home completely wiped off the map, being without power for months if it did manage to survive, and realizing that you and one other guy on your shift are the only officers who lived. "Isolated" communities have nothing on "no longer even in existence" communities.

Mississippi went through the worst of it, and it was rare to see one of them howling on the news about it. Mostly N.O. urbanites who were living off the government to begin with, same as any other major city.

Sdiver
01-21-2007, 13:31
It's groundhog's day !!!!!!

For the 6th straight weekend, we've got another storm hitting the front range. The northeastern part of the state is currently under another blizzard warning.
So far I've got a good 4 inches of NEW snow with this storm, by my place....and IT'S STILL FALLING !!!!! :munchin

TS.....can't make you any promises that the state will be open when you come up here in a few months.

Pete
01-22-2007, 08:37
It's groundhog's day !!!!!!

Last night my B-I-L said he ain't going to work today if the neighbor don't come by and plow the drive. He's snowed in "again".

Must be some good snow pack in the high mountains. Spring flooding? Thicker spring ground growth for fires in 08/09?

Pete

lksteve
01-22-2007, 17:24
Funny, but apples and oranges. I will not defend the behavior of certain citizens of New Orleans, but one cannot compare being stranded in a snow storm...you didn't recover bodies on Route 128 after the Blizzard of '78 near Boston, did you...? you've never snowmobiled food or medication to elderly folks who couldn't get out before a blizzard, have you?

Blue
01-23-2007, 19:55
I didn't say snow storms weren't dangerous, but has one ever wiped entire communities off the map in such a widespread manner as a hurricane like Katrina? I'm sure no transplanted Yankees were harmed during Katrina or accepted government help afterwards, due to superior disaster survival skills.

JMI
01-23-2007, 20:02
I didn't say snow storms weren't dangerous, but has one ever wiped entire communities off the map in such a widespread manner as a hurricane like Katrina? I'm sure no transplanted Yankees were harmed during Katrina or accepted government help afterwards, due to superior disaster survival skills.
I feel ya. But SA is key here. No?

echoes
01-24-2007, 14:27

IMHO,
To Mother Nature, a storm is a storm.

http://www.yachtaragorn.com/Thailand.htm

:munchin

Holly

CoLawman
01-28-2007, 23:02
Watching the Weather Channel........Sure is nice to see Michigan getting hammered.........as it should be! :D

mike-munich
01-29-2007, 02:10
We had some severe weather too, killing 47 in Europe, 11 in Germany. Damage is about 4.5 billion Dollars.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070126/bs_afp/europeweatherstorminsurance_070126140855

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyrill_(storm)

The Reaper
01-29-2007, 08:33
We had some severe weather too, killing 47 in Europe, 11 in Germany. Damage is about 4.5 billion Dollars.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070126/bs_afp/europeweatherstorminsurance_070126140855

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyrill_(storm)

Mike:

Probably the global warming.

TR

mike-munich
01-29-2007, 08:46
Mike:

Probably the global warming.

TR

TR,

that´s likely. Although some say that this could be the beginning of the next ice age. At first it warms up, then it gets really cold. I´m glad that I used to ski on the Brauneck/Lenggries with 1/10. :D

Mike

TF Kilo
01-29-2007, 08:52
Last night my B-I-L said he ain't going to work today if the neighbor don't come by and plow the drive. He's snowed in "again".

Must be some good snow pack in the high mountains. Spring flooding? Thicker spring ground growth for fires in 08/09?

Pete

We've got a >2' berm built up in front of our driveway thanks to the state grader, and no dough to be able to pay someone to get it out of there... and it's too hardpacked to be able to shovel out.. and the ice chipper don't do anything.

So, WOT + 4WD and away we go to get in and out of our house. Lucky for us the driveway starts with an angle, so as long as you have momentum you won't high center.

The backyard's got around 2' of snow, but it's loose stuff and easy to drive through.

But, it's Alaska, and we make do ;)

I've driven through worse weather and conditions on the Alcan than I have experienced here to date...

Sdiver
02-04-2007, 14:25
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

I see by watching The Weather Channel, that most of the country is in somewhat of a freeze right now. That is, except us here. :D

Temps in the upper 40's, with the forecast for the upcoming week, temps in the mid 50's to upper 40's........

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........:lifter

Sdiver
03-29-2007, 08:11
Gotta just LOVE Spring time in the Rockies. :rolleyes:

Western mountains got hit with a good 18 inches of snow yesterday, and right now down here along the front range we've got some good old fashioned Colorado snow coming down.

You know the kind. Snow flakes as big as small dogs. Right now I've got a good 5-6 inches at my place, and it's still coming down.

No reports of road closers. The streets are still warm from the 60 degree temps we had the past few days. So I don't think the state will be closed anything soon.

March and April are the snowiest months we have here. Yeahhhh for global warming. :rolleyes:

dennisw
03-29-2007, 08:54
Snow flakes as big as small dogs

Don't tell me you just outside and stepped in a poodle. :D Sorry I couldn't resist.

Razor
03-29-2007, 20:00
You know the kind. Snow flakes as big as small dogs. Right now I've got a good 5-6 inches at my place, and it's still coming down.

Let's see...no snow on our front lawn...no snow in our back yard...huh, I guess you're just lucky like that. :p

Sdiver
12-20-2007, 23:52
****ANNIVERSARY ALERT ****

It was one year ago today, that the state of Colorado was closed.

Weather forecast for tomorrow.........Snow, along the front range and foothills.
Expected.........2-4 inches in the metro area.......4-7 inches in the foothills.

It's kinda like, deja vu' all over again.

82ndtrooper
12-21-2007, 05:47
Snow, what's that ???

mffjm8509
12-21-2007, 09:13

Weather forecast for tomorrow.........Snow, along the front range and foothills.
Expected.........2-4 inches in the metro area.......4-7 inches in the foothills.

Good News! I'm heading to Keystone this weekend, hopefully we get dumped on up there!

mp

Team Sergeant
12-21-2007, 09:20

And again I'll be headed to Colorado soon, so get that stuff cleared up!;)

Razor
12-21-2007, 10:26
mffjm, would it be a buzz kill to tell you it was 57F here in the Springs yesterday? :p

SFS0AVN
12-21-2007, 12:48
Hay, send some of that stuff down here to east NM we've had a drought going for a few years now. We have 0 snow here now and have had about two inches all year.

Sdiver
12-21-2007, 20:40
Good News! I'm heading to Keystone this weekend, hopefully we get dumped on up there!

mp

As per their latest report, they've got a 31" base of PP, with only 1" of new, but it IS snowing up there right now, and will again on Sunday.

http://keystone.snow.com/mtninfo.report.asp

And again I'll be headed to Colorado soon, so get that stuff cleared up!;)

Hummmm.....interesting.

T.S. comes to CO and we get hit with snow. Talk about GOD like powers. :eek:

As far as getting it cleaned up by the time you get here, we're making plans to send it down to New Mexico.

Hay, send some of that stuff down here to east NM we've had a drought going for a few years now. We have 0 snow here now and have had about two inches all year.

If you'd like some, just invite T.S. over.
Looks what happens when he comes up here. :D

lksteve
12-21-2007, 21:21
mffjm, would it be a buzz kill to tell you it was 57F here in the Springs yesterday? That's wrong...that's like feeding chicken to your kids on Easter and telling them it's a certain bunny...:eek:

clapdoc
12-21-2007, 22:23
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I sure feel ya'll in the snow. It is supposed be 70 degrees here tomorrow.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

clapdoc sends.

SFS0AVN
12-22-2007, 09:52
As far as getting it cleaned up by the time you get here, we're making plans to send it down to New Mexico.

If you'd like some, just invite T.S. over.
Looks what happens when he comes up here. :D

Hay thanks, we got about three inches last night. Every little bit helps.

mffjm8509
12-22-2007, 10:23
mffjm, would it be a buzz kill to tell you it was 57F here in the Springs yesterday? :p

I know I know......

I've sat here for the past 2 weeks of sub freezing temps watching all of my hunting spots freeze up and 90% of the local waterfowl head south only to get back to near record WARM temps the in few days before I go skiing.

Good news is there is snow in the forecast for Summit County and its always a white Christmas at Keystone! :D

mp

brianksain
12-28-2007, 16:22
When this thread originated ... I was on Pike's Peak via the COG railroad.

Sub-zero temps, between the two blizzards ...:(

In fact ... the second blizzard was blowing in while we were atop the Peak and the RR people panicked to get us down from there.

Of course ... they were fretting 80 mph winds.

We did 3 hrs at 130 during Hurricane RITA ...:cool:

But you know it's bad when the locals say it is treacherous out.

Sdiver
03-02-2008, 16:46
Team Sergeant.......are you in Colorado ????:confused:

74 degrees and sunny yesterday (Saturday) now 26 degrees and 6 inches of snow by my place today. :(

In like a lamb -- and then a lion

A fast-moving storm began early this morning and was expected to dump about 3 inches in the metro area before it ends around noon, said National Weather Service meteorologist Frank Benton.

"There may be some showers this afternoon but we are looking for this thing to be pretty much dead by noon. The system is moving slowly to the southeast and somewhat dissipating," said Benton.

Roads in parts of the Front Range and Denver metro area are slick and slushy.

A woman died in a one-car rollover accident at Bayou Gulch Road west of Flintwood Road this morning that could have been related to the weather, said Douglas County Deputy Dave Joly. "It appears the weather had something to do with it, road conditions were terrible, it has been snowing in Douglas County since 6:30 and there have been multiple crashes."
The Colorado State Patrol reported a number of weather-related accidents, though none have been fatal, said Trooper Gilbert Mares. "People are driving too fast for the conditions; we do see these kinds of things whenever the weather comes in."

On Saturday, Denver residents basked in balmy weather as temperatures hit 74 degrees, breaking the record high for March.

The temperature in Denver had dropped from the 50s at midnight into the 20s by dawn as cold and blowing snow hit most of the state. By 10 a.m. the temperature in Denver had reached 28 degrees.

T.S.,
If you are here in Colorado, could you please, please bring the sun back? :boohoo

Razor
03-02-2008, 17:46
He got outta dodge just in time; left last evening. Talk about good timing!

Team Sergeant
03-02-2008, 22:19
He got outta dodge just in time; left last evening. Talk about good timing!

And drove through a bit of snow and very strong winds all the way home....;)

It was a good trip!

TS

Sdiver
03-16-2008, 22:34
Stand by to Stand by !!!!!

The front range including Ft. Collins and Greeley and the Northeast corner of the state, is under a WINTER STORM WARNING from now until 1500 Monday afternoon.

The Denver metro area is expecting 8"-12" when this thing is done. The foot hills are expecting 12"-16". It's expected to dump on us tonight, making the morning commute one whizz bang of a time. :rolleyes:

But hey.....March is our snowiest month here. :boohoo

Sparky
03-17-2008, 00:13
Not only is it our snowiest month, but the snow tends to be wet and heavy. It will be interesting to see how accurate the forecast is and if the 8"-12" does any damage.;)

Sdiver
03-26-2009, 08:11
A little over a year from the last posts and......

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!!!

The entire front range of Eastern Colorado is under a Blizzard Warning !!!

So far it's snowing pretty good here now. the heavier stuff isn't expected until later this afternoon. Predictions are, the Denver Metro are could see a good 10-16 inches and the Palmer Divide could see 2 FEET.

Well....there's really only one thing to do......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqG52NpKNdk&feature=related

Ahhhhhhh.....Spring Time In The Rockies. :munchin

SF_BHT
03-26-2009, 08:22
A little over a year from the last posts and......

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!!!

The entire front range of Eastern Colorado is under a Blizzard Warning !!!

So far it's snowing pretty good here now. the heavier stuff isn't expected until later this afternoon. Predictions are, the Denver Metro are could see a good 10-16 inches and the Palmer Divide could see 2 FEET.

Well....there's really only one thing to do......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqG52NpKNdk&feature=related

Ahhhhhhh.....Spring Time In The Rockies. :munchin

Sorry to hear it, we are in shorts, T-Shirts and sandles:eek: down here....

Sdiver
03-26-2009, 08:26

Oh Hell, we were in that attire just a few days ago. Temps in the upper 70's and lots of Sun. :boohoo

lksteve
03-26-2009, 08:37
Rode my motorcycle all weekend...probably put 500 miles on it Thursday through Sunday...rode back from visiting my son in Denver on Sunday in a vest and t-shirt...that ended Monday in a hell of a windstorm...was at Fort Carson yesterday and left about the time the wind picked up and the clouds completely covered Pikes Peak...woke up this morning to snow everywhere and it looks pretty steady from here...oh, well...just wish the girl friend would declare a snow day...:cool:

mffjm8509
03-26-2009, 09:08
I'm spending spring break at Keystone again this year and the storm has dumped about a foot of new snow on us in the past 2 days. Good thing I'm skiing and not traveling. Hopefully, the remnants of the storm will be gone when we get back to the Springs on Sunday.

Razor
03-26-2009, 10:19
I'm spending spring break at Keystone again this year and the storm has dumped about a foot of new snow on us in the past 2 days.

Powder, ho!

Have a safe trip back.

AF Doc
03-26-2009, 15:33
:mad:

My motorcycle is down in Loveland, CO, currently geting dumped on. Up here in Cheyenne, it's snowing...sideways.

Yeah, spring time in the Rockies.

Red Flag 1
03-26-2009, 15:45

My motorcycle is down in Loveland, CO, currently geting dumped on. Up here in Cheyenne, it's snowing...sideways.

Keep the shovel and rock salt handy amigo!!

Went through this when stationed @ Plattsburg AFB in the early 70's.

Be well!!

RF 1

Gypsy
03-26-2009, 18:00

Just as long as you don't wear socks with your sandles. :rolleyes: :D

Looks like we're due for snow (with accumulation) here on Saturday. Thanks Colorado.

Constant
03-26-2009, 19:10
Looks like we're due for snow (with accumulation) here on Saturday. Thanks Colorado.

Hey, we're all about distribution! Glad to share!:p

uboat509
03-26-2009, 19:35
I'm on my way back from Bragg. I stopped here in Hays, KS to grab a few hours of sleep. My wife called me and told me to wait until morning at least. I wanted to be there when the kids woke up. Oh, well. I have gone doing the 18D course for a year now. I guess one more day doesn't matter much.

SFC W

Razor
03-26-2009, 20:46
Drifts are pretty bad out east, with the expected effect on traffic. Take your time in KS, brother; no need to risk it.

Sdiver
03-26-2009, 22:04
Holy Cow !!!! :eek:

Took me an hour and a half to get into work, where it usually takes me 20 minutes. I-70 was a mess. Spun out cars and Big Trucks ALL over the place. A total mess.

A couple of photos from today.

1st....early this morning.
2nd....nice drift up against my door (BTW....that's a size 10)
3rd.....my flag still stands after a day of 50 mph winds.
4th.....it's March. We're supposed to be getting ready to celebrate Easter NOT X-mas.

armymom1228
03-27-2009, 01:33

So I guess you don't want to hear that it is going to be sunny in the mid 60's and the cherry blossoms are in bloom in DC ?:D

armymom1228
03-27-2009, 01:35

Took me an hour and a half to get into work, where it usually takes me 20 minutes. I-70 was a mess. Spun out cars and Big Trucks ALL over the place. A total mess.

4th.....it's March. We're supposed to be getting ready to celebrate Easter NOT X-mas.

Almost all the reasons I don't live on the Front Range anymore.. the other reason is two legged. :rolleyes:

TOMAHAWK9521
03-27-2009, 09:17

Despite all the hype about the storm, especially Gov. Ritter foolishly declaring a state of emergency, this wasn't a bad storm. Not the killing frost we needed to thin the herd of sheep that continue to flock to here. That's the problem, too many stupid people who don't know how to drive, let alone live in a high elevation state.

Nonna
03-27-2009, 10:18
I-25 between town here and the WY/CO border is still closed this morning. Sun is shining, but a trooper friend says the section of road where the mass accident happened is still ice. I know exactly where this was, I've driven that section before in storms and know that black ice is always a problem there.

We didn't get as much snow as farther south of us, but the winds made things pretty miserable. I have a small drift across the front walk, but nothing I can't dig out by myself.

greenberetTFS
03-27-2009, 12:06
Just as long as you don't wear socks with your sandles. :rolleyes: :D

Gypsy,It's 79 here in MS. But, I do miss the seasons,not the snow..............:p

GB TFS :munchin

uboat509
03-27-2009, 12:15
I'm almost to the CO border on I70 and it's not that the snow is deep but the wind is trying to push me off the road. That combined with the blowing snow a a thin but slick layer of snow/slush is making it hazardous.

SFC W

Saoirse
03-27-2009, 15:45
Well, ya'll enjoy the snow. We have tornadoes out here in the 'Nam! Heavy rains, uprooted trees, trucks overturned, roofs damaged, etc etc! And the warnings keep coming in. But I feel safe...we don't live near any trailer parks, and we all know what magnets those things are!
SNOW anyone?! :D

Utah Bob
03-27-2009, 16:06
I'm glad we settled on the West Slope. It's just a little chilly here now. Snow's gone and the mule deer are frolicking about.:cool:

Gypsy
03-27-2009, 19:40
Hey, we're all about distribution!

Lib.

:D

Gypsy,It's 79 here in MS.
GB TFS :munchin

T, thanks for rubbing it in. :D Don't be stingy, send some back my way.

armymom1228
03-27-2009, 22:57
Horrid day in DC today... but I toughed it out. :D

Firebeef
03-28-2009, 09:26
So sorry that I didn't weigh in on this one, but unfortunatley, I headed to Steamboat Springs Wednesday night.....AND I WOKE UP TO A FOOT OF FRESH POWDER AND IT SNOWED ALL FREEKING DAY THURSDAY AND FRIDAY WAS SUNNY AND 16 INCHES OF POWDER AGAIN

sorry for that outburst....but a wild hunch and a wayward vacation pick for me ended up being the "score" of the year!

WOW!!!

armymom1228
03-28-2009, 12:10
So sorry that I didn't weigh in on this one, but unfortunatley, I headed to Steamboat Springs Wednesday night.....AND I WOKE UP TO A FOOT OF FRESH POWDER AND IT SNOWED ALL FREEKING DAY THURSDAY AND FRIDAY WAS SUNNY AND 16 INCHES OF POWDER AGAIN

sorry for that outburst....but a wild hunch and a wayward vacation pick for me ended up being the "score" of the year!

WOW!!!

Totally useless without pics of the 'champagne powder'.

I remember skiing that stuff.. awesome...congratulations!

Firebeef
03-28-2009, 12:18
I am at work, and will post the errant pics that I took tommorow!

Sdiver
03-28-2009, 12:34
Doug,

Have to do a little 'editing' of your post for people to understand.

I am at work sitting in a Lay-Z-Boy recliner, wondering who is going out for lunch or if we should make something here from our OVERSTCKED fridge, and will post the errant pics that I took tomorrow because I don't want to miss anything on the TV right now, then a nap, then it's off to play HALO on the work computers with the other guys here at the station, so I don't really have time to upload pictures!

:D :munchin

Sounds like you had a good "mini" vacation. :lifter

Firebeef
03-28-2009, 12:40
boy now.......Shhhhhhhhh!

you be giving away the secrets to da peeps!
and besides, we don't do lunch on the weekends, just a big breakfast and then dinner later on....lol

Sdiver
03-28-2009, 12:42
boy now.......Shhhhhhhhh!

you be giving away the secrets to da peeps!
and besides, we don't do lunch on the weekends, just a big breakfast and then dinner later on....lol

D'oh

That's right.

There's that "nap" thing inbetween Breakfast and Dinner.

Firebeef
03-28-2009, 12:46
don't forget

working out
between 1400-1630!!!!

Firebeef
03-29-2009, 08:21
...as promised!
note the name of the run in pic#3

armymom1228
03-29-2009, 16:33
Okay you win..that first photo, definitely trumps the cherry blooms on the Tidal Basin. :D
Those vistas were always breathtaking..
mmm, march, isn't that avalanche season?
Thanks..

Sdiver
03-29-2009, 16:55
mmm, march, isn't that avalanche season?

Not this year. They SUCK !!!! :mad: :mad:

Now I know how L.A. KINGS fans feel. :boohoo

Firebeef
04-04-2009, 10:22
4 April.

Here we go again. 1020hrs, snowing sideways, upslope winds.....
could be the big one!

Nonna
04-04-2009, 11:02
fire in fireplace? check
bottled water? check
drifts up to the doors? check

We closed the borders to Colorado again, so I guess that means Wyoming is closed today.

lksteve
04-04-2009, 12:54
We closed the borders to Colorado again, so I guess that means Wyoming is closed today.Just make sure you open back up Monday morning...some of us have to work up there...

Richard
04-04-2009, 13:00
Hmmm...80 degrees and sunny in North Texas. :)

Firebeef
04-04-2009, 13:07
Snow has tapered off to hardly anything now...just cold and windy. National Weather Service has cancelled the Winter Weather advisory for Denver. Here in Greeley, it's still snowing lightly, on the east side of town, but the boys on the west side are responding to multiple TA's (Traffic accidents) and are reporting near "white out" conditions. It would appear that the "big one" has, in fact, turned out to be a big bust. That;s OK...there's plenty of snow in the mountains!!
Let's go skiing!!!!

mffjm8509
04-04-2009, 14:42
That;s OK...there's plenty of snow in the mountains!!
Let's go skiing!!!!

I'm with you brother! I've managed 3 weeks this year already. Too bad I'm headed downrange....

Utah Bob
04-05-2009, 09:59
We had a whopper of a dust storm Friday afternoon. Real Biblical looking stuff. It was followed by a shower of brown hailstones, and then snow the rest of the night. Nice and sunny today though. Happy Spring.:confused:

Nonna
04-05-2009, 12:40
Just make sure you open back up Monday morning...some of us have to work up there...

Ok, so just for you, I had my "friends" at WYDOT clean things up and opened the gates.

Now if I could just do something about the 6' drift across my front walk.

Firebeef
04-06-2009, 09:11
snow is melting just fine here.... we have little wimpy 1 foot drifts here. But the color that is showing up under the snow.... is that....??? could it be....
...????
GREEN????!?!?

armymom1228
04-06-2009, 11:28
snow is melting just fine here.... we have little wimpy 1 foot drifts here. But the color that is showing up under the snow.... is that....??? could it be....
...????
GREEN????!?!?

Take a few deep breaths, it _will_ be okay.... just a few months more before it snows agian. :D

It is 54 at the moment, and raining...

Sdiver
04-07-2009, 09:22
...????
GREEN????!?!?

It's just an illusion.
You're seeing things.
Nope....You're going snow blind.

.....wait a sec.....

Holy schnikes.....We're seeing it here too !!!! :lifter

....and to Armymom.......Phhhhhfffffffttttttttttttttt :p

armymom1228
04-07-2009, 10:35
:D

....and to Armymom.......Phhhhhfffffffttttttttttttttt :p

HAHAHAHA.... you might want to consider changing out hat tinfoil there buckwheat, it looks a bit tattered...
I have an roll of extra heavy duty, got it for my son in law last wkend..:D
I can send you some...
AM

Sdiver
04-08-2009, 08:04
Okay Armymom......

I see your Cherry Blossoms and raise you a Front range. :D

1) From R to L.....Long's Peak and the Park to Mt Evans.
2) Long's Peak and the Park
3) Mt. Evans

I often wonder went through people's heads, when as they were traveling West in covered wagons and saw this sight?

Something along the line of .... Ohhhhhhhhhh Shit. How we gittin over that there Zeke?

Richard
04-08-2009, 08:09
I often wonder went through people's heads, when as they were traveling West in covered wagons and saw this sight?

Something along the line of .... Ohhhhhhhhhh Shit. How we gittin over that there Zeke?

Follow the native trails. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

armymom1228
04-08-2009, 08:40
Okay Armymom......

I see your Cherry Blossoms and raise you a Front range. :D

1) From R to L.....Long's Peak and the Park to Mt Evans.
2) Long's Peak and the Park
3) Mt. Evans

"Well Zeke, it's like this how about you getting out and pushing on
the steep parts."

Your snow found its way to DC yesterday. As I was on my cell talking (its what we women do ya know) I looked up and saw snow spitting... This time a yr ago it was much nicer and warmer weather. I clearly remember all those sunny warm days. I was moving aboard.

I still remember High Country winters, clear and still. Clear up to your ass and snowing.. :D

Sdiver
04-16-2009, 09:26
Stand by to Stand by.....AGAIN. :rolleyes:

The front range is under ANOTHER winter storm watch from tonight to Sat. afternoon.

They're calling for FEET not Inches here in the Denver metro area.

With the warm winter we had here this past season, we're definitely paying for it now. :munchin

Constant
04-16-2009, 10:37
The USAF Academy weather service put us into a blizzard potential category. Looks like spring is here!:p

Utah Bob
04-16-2009, 15:43
Here on the West Slope, we went through Spring, Summer, and Fall yesterday. I expect the fourth season will blow in tonight.
Again.:confused:

armymom1228
04-16-2009, 16:47
Here on the West Slope, we went through Spring, Summer, and Fall yesterday. I expect the fourth season will blow in tonight.
Again.:confused:

That was normally the month of July in Summit County.

But .... But... I thought Al Gore said we have global warming.. so what is this blowing in.... oh dear, its warm snow!! :rolleyes:

TOMAHAWK9521
04-16-2009, 17:33
Here's a couple of shots taken from the left door of a Blackhawk while some of the lads from 5/19 SF were conducting a jump over Ft. Collins. I took the pics after we had made the drop pass and were race-tracking until the jumpers were on the ground. The smaller rocky peak is Horsetooth Mountain, which overlooks the town and then way off to the west is Longs Peak covered in snow and enshrouded in clouds. Most people in Colorado don't get to enjoy this sight.

armymom1228
04-16-2009, 18:17
Here's a couple of shots taken from the left door of a Blackhawk while some of the lads from 5/19 SF were conducting a jump over Ft. Collins. I took the pics after we had made the drop pass and were race-tracking until the jumpers were on the ground. The smaller rocky peak is Horsetooth Mountain, which overlooks the town and then way off to the west is Longs Peak covered in snow and enshrouded in clouds. Most people in Colorado don't get to enjoy this sight.

Thank you for those photos.. how lovely.... There _are_ times I do miss Colorado for its scenery. Beautiful photos!

So how did the jump go?

Nonna
04-17-2009, 06:47
All roads in and out of Cheyenne, closed.
Snow day for schools. This is heavy, wet stuff.

LKSteve, guess you get to stay put, where ever you are.

Sure glad I brought in a stack of firewood in case power goes out.

lksteve
04-17-2009, 07:45
All roads in and out of Cheyenne, closed.
Snow day for schools. This is heavy, wet stuff.

LKSteve, guess you get to stay put, where ever you are.

Sure glad I brought in a stack of firewood in case power goes out.I was in Kemmerer yesterday morning, looking for buff sandstone monuments in a snow storm....the other crew, over by Point of Rocks was looking at moving up a mesa...we called it off, looked at the weather, and made it back to Laramie...looked at the schedule for today and drove home to Fort Collins...I have a long weekend, watching the snow fly...I 80 was pretty bad, so at Walcott Junction, we diverted to US 30....US 287 was a mess last night, but when I got down to FoCo, it was raining...animals began pairing up...LOL...

Nonna
04-17-2009, 08:37
Any time you get stuck up here, my door is open for at least a hot meal and a cold beverage.

lksteve
04-17-2009, 08:47
Any time you get stuck up here, my door is open for at least a hot meal and a cold beverage.I'll keep that in mind...are you in Cheyenne or Laramie?

Nonna
04-17-2009, 10:00
I'll keep that in mind...are you in Cheyenne or Laramie?

Cheyenne

CoLawman
04-17-2009, 11:02
Or lkSteve, you can stay in Keystone just below the Rob Roy Dam. Keys are under the tub on the back of the shed! :D

lksteve
04-17-2009, 13:15
Or lkSteve, you can stay in Keystone just below the Rob Roy Dam. Keys are under the tub on the back of the shed! Hmmm...trying to figure out how to get Keystone on the route between Rock Springs WY and Fort Collins...might need to test the Great Circle...LOL...man, are we getting hammered...with snow...JD comes later....;)

Sdiver
04-18-2009, 08:22
UGH....what a mess.

Ended up with 2 feet...yes FEET...of snow by my place. Heavy wet snow too.

I-70 from the Morrison exit to Vail is still closed.

Hope this will be the last one of the year. But...this is Colorado. We could get snow in July....it's happened before.

armymom1228
04-18-2009, 08:56
UGH....what a mess.

Ended up with 2 feet...yes FEET...of snow by my place. Heavy wet snow too.

I-70 from the Morrison exit to Vail is still closed.

Hope this will be the last one of the year. But...this is Colorado. We could get snow in July....it's happened before.

I am soooo sorry you have this weather perhaps a these photos of my day yesterday will help with the pain.. it was a horrible day for me too.. but ya know.. someone has to suffer.. I did so glady on your behalf..
first two are me... 3rd is the crew suffering on your behalf.. last is coming back into Annapolis via the Severn River.. Squid School dead ahead in the haze.
Uh.. I am sorry the US Naval Academy.. :D
As I said, someone had to suffer through that day.. we survived..
Last I left the boys they had switched from beer to dark n Stormies and cigars.
That is a point when a lady knows its time to retire home. I heard they closed the bar down..
dark n stormy = ginger beer and goslings dark rum mixed.. I prefer painkillers.

Utah Bob
04-18-2009, 09:02
Well, everything over here on the West Slope is just peachy now. Snow's gone. Birds are singing. Spring has sprung again. Life is good!:D

Utah Bob
04-18-2009, 09:06
dark n stormy = ginger beer and goslings dark rum mixed..

Good Lord!:eek:

BigJimCalhoun
04-18-2009, 10:56
I was supposed to do this two day rifle shoot thing in Ramah, CO and they did not cancel it. I have about 1-1/2 feet in Castle Rock and my wife's Pilot with AWD and Traction control was having a hard time just getting to the gas station.

Meanwhile, those planning the event posted something about the dirt road to the range (5 miles) is nearly unpassable for a 4 wheel drive vehicle with 33 inch tires, but the event is still on :eek: Given the current weather (still snowing hard here), it would have taken 4 hours to get there if I didn't drive off the road.

Nonna
04-18-2009, 12:22
The "official" winter storm warning expired at Noon, yet it is snowing as hard, if not harder than it was 24 hours ago. We have 14+ inches and I-80 is still closed west of here.

Forecast for tomorrow is upper 50's and sunny. Figures.

armymom1228
04-18-2009, 12:50
The "official" winter storm warning expired at Noon, yet it is snowing as hard, if not harder than it was 24 hours ago. We have 14+ inches and I-80 is still closed west of here.

Forecast for tomorrow is upper 50's and sunny. Figures.

Today is one of those days when you snuggle by the fire with a LARGE glass of
Pyrat Rum and a good book..

armymom1228
04-19-2009, 12:26
It seems we are about to get the same weather in a different form.

Looked at the NOAA marine forecast. It looks, on the surface, semi benign.
Wind 15-20 knots, gusts to 25.. small craft warning. On the Chessie that simply means there is wind on the bay. Wave hts 2 ft or less.
http://www.intellicast.com/WeatherImg/RadarLoop/usa_None_anim.gif?1234554321

Then I go look at the radar and pull down a weather map showing wind and fronts..the grib files I get via radio to the printer. Looked at the NOAA/weather underground/intellicast reports via text on the printer..
well hels bells... it was 79 ysterday 71 today (cloudy) and tomorrow it is 50, 90% chance of torrential downpours and wind of course as the front passes..
I cannot take off again until friday.. Dionysius is scheduled to go on the hard Thurday and Friday H flies off for two yrs to A'stan to contract.
going to be a good ride though.. and D is a heavy weather 52 foot boat.
gues it is time to take my foulies..

Thomas Point Lighthouse CMan Bouy url. Way neat photo of a proper screwpile lighthouse on the page as well as weather data for the time you bring it up.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=tplm2

I think I would rather snow at this point.:rolleyes:

lksteve
04-19-2009, 19:49
I rode to Estes Park (7500 feet MSL) with the girlfriend...the road was perfect on the way up...we spent the day there, eating in the Stanley Hotel and doing a little browsing through some of the shops...the road was closed on the way back and we had to double back through Estes to get back home...none the less, the day after a winter storm ended, I was on my Harley, riding to the entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park with a pretty lady...

Now I have the weather is supposed to be beautiful for working in Wyoming next week...yipee...

Sdiver
10-27-2009, 10:16
Stand by to stand by.

The NWS in Denver has issued a WINTER STORM WARNING for the Denver metro area and the SW corner of the state...(Bob, you have you snow shovel ready?). The rest of the state is under a WINTER STORM WATCH.

Here's a link to the NWS listing watches and warnings by counties....

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/alerts/co.html

I've heard totals ranging from 10-18 inches of snow, around here by tomorrow night.

Stras
10-27-2009, 10:29
Better not be closed for more than a week!!!!

I'm headed there for Elk season 09-16 Nov 09....:D

Sounds like I'll be hunting in snowshoes again....

lksteve
10-27-2009, 10:34

I'm headed there for Elk season 09-16 Nov 09....Look at the bright side...the storm will push them down from the high country...

armymom1228
10-27-2009, 11:10

Bet you could substitute Elk for the Venison in this recipe and it would be outstanding. Had this last weekend.

(Polish) Hunters Stew

2# beef to 1# venison 1/2 # bacon and 1/4# kielbasi per serve for 10
2 oz mushrooms
2 large onions peeled and sliced
2 tart apples cored peeled and sliced
2# sauerkraut washed and drained
1/2 Cup Madeira wine or beef bouillon or water (I use bouillon)

Start with the bacon in a large pot and fry sliced bacon. I find that you want to slice the bacon into 1 inch pieces before you cook then cook. To the bacon and grease add the onion and sauté until tender, then add apples and cooked meats. The kielbasi I slice into 1/2 inch rounds they add a very strong flavour. Add to this the sauerkraut a dash sugar, salt and pepper then add in mushrooms. The volume is then made up with the boullion or water to cover everything and slow cook. This takes time and should be made days in advance and stored to blend flavours. The recipe says about an hour, I find with the volume you will be dealing with it will be a bit more.

Put it on a slow stove and just stir periodically and let warm to serve. I allowed a couple of hours and watched the liquid levels.

You can stretch with liquid on this and there is so much meat that no one feels slighted. Serve with bread or over kasha. I pre-cook meats just by braising them in a skillet, but if you like you can cook the meats roast like and then slice.

Again the above proportions make for serving of 10 so multiply accordingly.

----------

Look at the bright side...the storm will push them down from the high country...

Sorta kinda like it is pushing me southward towards the tropics. :D

Utah Bob
10-28-2009, 12:38
Not bad down this way. Only about 2 inches with maybe another inch expected this evening.

lksteve
10-28-2009, 12:58
Not bad down this way. Only about 2 inches with maybe another inch expected this evening.I've seen it pretty bad down your way...once or twice a year US 666/492 used to be closed from Monticello to Cortez...seems like trucks used to jacknife in Cross Canyon, blocking my way to work...ah, the good old days...

Right now, we have 4-6 inches and it's snowing like crazy...I suspect it'll be eye-ball deep to a polar bear before long...:eek:

armymom1228
10-28-2009, 13:36
I've seen it pretty bad down your way...once or twice a year US 666/492 used to be closed from Monticello to Cortez...seems like trucks used to jacknife in Cross Canyon, blocking my way to work...ah, the good old days...

Right now, we have 4-6 inches and it's snowing like crazy...I suspect it'll be eye-ball deep to a polar bear before long...:eek:

So I guess that means I should not mention it is 80 degrees here in Kinston, NC. I am sitting here in shorts and barefoot? No, I won't mention it...:D:D:D

lksteve
10-28-2009, 13:52
So I guess that means I should not mention it is 80 degrees here in Kinston, NC. I am sitting here in shorts and barefoot? No, I won't mention it...Go ahead...brag all you want...

Utah Bob
10-28-2009, 15:09
I've seen it pretty bad down your way...once or twice a year US 666/492 used to be closed from Monticello to Cortez...seems like trucks used to jacknife in Cross Canyon, blocking my way to work...ah, the good old days...

Yeah the Front Range looks like it's in for a Hammering. I think it's just about done here.

ArmyMom what are these "shorts" of which you speak??:D

Sdiver
10-28-2009, 15:28
Yeah the Front Range looks like it's in for a Hammering. I think it's just about done here.

So far, I've got around 10 inches here in Golden, and it's NOT stopping.

Armymom.......Pfffffffffttttttttttttttt :p :p :p

BigJimCalhoun
10-28-2009, 19:22

Sir - Good luck with the hunting. We went on Sunday and saw nothing - no tracks, no droppings, no people, no gunshots, no elk. The snow was about 4 inches @ 11,500 feet East of Cottonwood Pass near Buena Vista. Not sure what the snow is like today.

lksteve
10-28-2009, 19:25
Right now, there are 16" on the ground in Fort Collins...that's 15" in 12 hours...more in the forecast...

SkiBumCFO
10-28-2009, 20:03
Right now, there are 16" on the ground in Fort Collins...that's 15" in 12 hours...more in the forecast...

I drove into the office in Centennial around 06:00 to beat the crazies and we already had a lot around Denver its 14 hours later and it hasnt stopped all day i cant wait to drive home! Luckily I bought the new Big O tires last week. :)

jbour13
10-28-2009, 20:34
"My name is Al Gore, and global warming is a serious threa....."
~Dramatic and long pause~
"These aren't the lackeys I ordered"

Carry on..... :D

15" of snow in 12 hours :eek:

That is crazy.

I was all suited up on a silk weight long sleeve under my t-shirt and running shorts this morning ready to go for a run. I was stunned to find sweat forming as soon as I left the door and realized it was 72 at 0530 here in Hope Mills.

Gotta love NC. There'll be an ice storm next week followed by a thunderstorm and 80 degree sunshine.

lksteve
10-28-2009, 20:41
"My name is Al Gore, and global warming is a serious threa....."
15" of snow in 12 hours :eek:

That is crazy.
15" in 12 hours is nothing...I was at Devens for the winter of '78...seems like we got 3 feet in 12 hours...and global warming doesn't imply sunbathing weather globally...

armymom1228
10-28-2009, 21:28
So far, I've got around 10 inches here in Golden, and it's NOT stopping.

Armymom.......Pfffffffffttttttttttttttt :p :p

I will see you one pfffffffffffttttttttttt and raise you two :D:D.

SkiBumCFO
10-29-2009, 08:02
and it is still snowing!! supposedly another 7 inches for Denver to wrap things up. lksteve - that was the great Blizzard of 78 and while you were enjoying it at Devens i was getting a lot of days off from my junior year in HS just north of Boston. I will remember that storm til the day i die it was awesome.

TOMAHAWK9521
10-29-2009, 08:04
Great-Scot!! I was awoken this morning to the thundering of avalanches falling off the eaves of my house! :eek: It's global warming! House avalanches are going to happen everywhere!

And you thought those falling icicles were bad? The house avalanches will crush small children and raise the sea levels. For the love of Pete, who will think of the children?! :eek::D

Nonna
10-29-2009, 08:32
Ok you Colorado wimps.

I'll see your 12 inches of snow and raise you 40 mph winds.

I-80 has been shut down since yesterday morning, and is showing no signs of reopening any time soon. I-25 just closed from Wellington to Cheyenne, and Cheyenne to Wheatland.

Good day to stay inside and do some cooking in the crockpot. No wild game, but something hearty and warm. Maybe some chicken and dumplings.

echoes
10-29-2009, 08:35
Great-Scot!! I was awoken this morning to the thundering of avalanches falling off the eaves of my house! It's global warming! House avalanches are going to happen everywhere!

And you thought those falling icicles were bad? The house avalanches will crush small children and raise the sea levels. For the love of Pete, who will think of the children?! :eek::D

LOL Sir!:D

Ya'll be safe up there, and keep an eye out for Santa...I heard he was flying around..."just checkin"...:lifter

Holly

lksteve
10-29-2009, 08:38
Ok you Colorado wimps.

I'll see your 12 inches of snow and raise you 40 mph winds.Keep the wind on your side of the stateline, please...and it isn't 12"....it's more like 21" at my place...

wet dog
10-29-2009, 10:22
Ok you Colorado wimps.

I'll see your 12 inches of snow and raise you 40 mph winds.

I-80 has been shut down since yesterday morning, and is showing no signs of reopening any time soon. I-25 just closed from Wellington to Cheyenne, and Cheyenne to Wheatland.

Good day to stay inside and do some cooking in the crockpot. No wild game, but something hearty and warm. Maybe some chicken and dumplings.

I just called the folks near Lonetree, WY, they're "hunker'd in" as well. I posted a Spice-Rubbed Roast Turkey recipe under the thread, "what are you reading?", it went in the oven this morning.

Just finished digging out my neighbors. Now enjoying a generous pull of Irish Wiskey, Red Breast. I ran out of Jameson last night.

WD

Nonna
10-29-2009, 11:31
Keep the wind on your side of the stateline, please...and it isn't 12"....it's more like 21" at my place...

Well, the "official" total this morning by NWS was 12", but I'm sure that at my location we were well over 18 at the least. The 6' high, 15' wide drift across my front door and walk won't be going anywhere soon, except to get larger. My escape route at this time is out the back door, climb the fence and shimmy alongside the garage to the driveway. But I'm an SF mom, so I'm tough.

This has been the snowiest October on record for our area. Can't wait to see what's in store for the rest of the winter.

SkiBumCFO
10-29-2009, 14:03
the winds are supposed to increase and cause blizzard conditions with limited to no visibility so its time to send the employees that were brave enough to come in to work back home. looking forward to some good skiing this weekend.

lksteve
10-29-2009, 14:10
Well, the "official" total this morning by NWS was 12", but I'm sure that at my location we were well over 18 at the least...This has been the snowiest October on record for our area. Can't wait to see what's in store for the rest of the winter.Just got done shovelling out my bike and my truck...a couple of small drifts were 30"...went over to the GFs house and shovelled out her son's truck and her walk and driveway...she is down with H1N1, as is her son...got their snowblower working, helped move some furniture and was rewarded with some homemade chicken and noodles...just the ticket on a day like this...

ZonieDiver
10-29-2009, 16:27
Just got done shovelling out my bike and my truck...a couple of small drifts were 30"...went over to the GFs house and shovelled out her son's truck and her walk and driveway...she is down with H1N1, as is her son...got their snowblower working, helped move some furniture and was rewarded with some homemade chicken and noodles...just the ticket on a day like this...

Kids today will do ANYthing to get out of shoveling snow! :D

lksteve
10-29-2009, 16:37
Kids today will do ANYthing to get out of shoveling snow! You don't know the half of it...I'm 5'8" and a few cents north of a buck fifty...he's 6'3" and down to 225 from 250...strong, athletic kid...this flu stuff is naaaaaaaasty...

Sdiver
10-29-2009, 19:39
Ended up with a total of 20" around my place. Have a couple of trees that are hanging down waaaaayyyyyyyy looooowwwwww.....but they're far enough away from the house to worry about any damage.

Steve, 2 words for you........Snow Blower. :D :D :D (it really does save the back)

lksteve
10-29-2009, 19:47
Steve, 2 words for you........Snow Blower. :D :D :D (it really does save the back)LOL...the GF has one...she also was prepared for the storm because all of her gas cans were empty and there was a teaspoon of gas in the tank...I got the stuff around the vehicles and the sidewalk by had, then fired up the snowblower...it was then I realized I needed to make a trip to the gas station...it all got done, it took awhile to get the blower running (same gas, same oil as last winter...it took some pulling)...they are neat...

BigJimCalhoun
10-29-2009, 20:50
15" in 12 hours is nothing...I was at Devens for the winter of '78...seems like we got 3 feet in 12 hours...and global warming doesn't imply sunbathing weather globally...

I grew up in Wilmington, about 1/2 hour from Devens. I remember that storm though I was only 9 years old.

BTW, still snowing in Castle Rock @ 6600' above sea level.

lksteve
10-29-2009, 20:56
I remember that storm though I was only 9 years old.
That's a cheap shot...:p:D

Utah Bob
10-30-2009, 11:59
Be prepared, sez I!:D

wet dog
10-30-2009, 17:57
Bob, that's a good picture. Due to the heavy snow in Denver, I was unable to get out of town. Will have to link up in a few weeks. Going to miss the boys in Delores this Holloween weekend.

Joyce says hello.

WD

ZonieDiver
10-30-2009, 21:49
This Phoenix, Arizona desert-dweller ended up in Denver in October 1984 a week before the "Bronco Blizzard"! No drapes or blinds in the house yet, with white walls. I walked around indoors for two days with sunglasses on. Hell, I didn't even run to "King Soopers" as soon as I heard the snow was coming - as did all my neighbors. Had to shovel my deck, front porch, driveway, etc. with a flat-nosed shovel - hadn't even gotten a snow shovel yet. Ya'll can have it!

Utah Bob
10-30-2009, 21:59
Bob, that's a good picture. Due to the heavy snow in Denver, I was unable to get out of town. Will have to link up in a few weeks. Going to miss the boys in Delores this Holloween weekend.

Joyce says hello.

WD

Roger that. Just saw the PM. Don't know how I missed it. Give me a holler.

Nonna
10-31-2009, 06:41
I-80 is still closed between Cheyenne-Laramie, and they aren't allowing any west-bound truck traffic from the NE/WY border. The truck stops are all packed to the gills and the overflow is parked along the frontage roads for miles. I work east of town and managed to wiggle my way through all the parked rigs at the nearby truckstop just so I could get a quick soda for work. It was a madhouse inside, that's for sure.

I would not want to be on that road when it finally opens, probably later today if the winds die down. Talk about demolition derby.

wet dog
10-31-2009, 12:53
Warm and sunny, pretty girls walking around in summer dresses. Going out on the Harley today. Currently sitting in a fine Cigar shop on Colfax.

I like Colorado,

WD

lksteve
10-31-2009, 14:08
Warm and sunny, pretty girls walking around in summer dresses...I like Colorado,Same here...snow went from two feet to mud in less than a day...sunny, warm...nice, short ride on the bike...:D

Sdiver
10-31-2009, 19:07
Same here...snow went from two feet to mud in less than a day...sunny, warm...nice, short ride on the bike...:D

Planning on doing that tomorrow. :D

I love this state. Typical Colorado snowstorm. Get handed our 4th point of contact over a 36 hour period with nothing but snow and wind, then 2 days later, warm and sunny with temps in the 60's. Ahhhhhhhh.......:D

Stras
10-31-2009, 21:29
Don't let it get too warm... I want the elk down around 10,000ft.... if they go higher, then they aren't in my hunting area....

lksteve
10-31-2009, 23:06
Don't let it get too warm... I want the elk down around 10,000ft.... if they go higher, then they aren't in my hunting area....Usually. they don't head back up after a snow like this....if it were a foot or less, they might...but they got upwards of 3 feet in the high country...

armymom1228
11-01-2009, 08:03
Gee thanks, guys. I am in CharmCity to remove things from my now former boat.. only to have it start raining in earnest at 4am. I should have known you gentlemen would be nice enough to share and send that stuff my way. Small problem.. its rain not snow.

After 8 hours of going up and down a 10 foot ladder. I just gave it up. Still raining, and cold. switched from sandals to Crocs and the winter layer mix. Oh joy... another 4-5 hours and the boat will be stripped. Then I get a 6 or 7 hour drive back to Fay-nam and 3 hours unpacking into son's storage unit. It is amazing how fast one's life can be reduced to a series of garbage bags and rubbermaid totes.

I wouldn't mind the weather so much if it were snow, but cold drizzly just hard enough to be miserable rain is a PIA.

Ended up sleeping on top of the totes wrapped in a down comforter.
I am too old for this crap. :rolleyes:

I will be ecstatic when today is over. Correction, when all the stuff is off the boat, and emptied to the storage unit, and the truck returned and I am back in Floriduh.
I will sgive in to sheer happy dance ecstacy. It will be sunny, warm and well, sunny and warm. :D

AM

BigJimCalhoun
11-01-2009, 09:54
Usually. they don't head back up after a snow like this....if it were a foot or less, they might...but they got upwards of 3 feet in the high country...

On the 25th, were near Mount Yale and hike from 9,500 to 11,500 and saw nothing at all. No people, no tracks, no elk. At that time there was maybe 6 inches of snow @ 11,000 feet. Consider us elk huntng amateurs.

wet dog
11-01-2009, 10:03
Don't let it get too warm... I want the elk down around 10,000ft.... if they go higher, then they aren't in my hunting area....

If you strike out, come with me and visit the folks in Wyoming, they have more elk than any rancher should have to feed. The last one I shot was standing in the corral with the horses. I use a .357 Mag under her chin, she fell two feet from the John Deere backhoe. We hung her in the barn for the night, next day we had her cut up, wrapped in butcher paper, stamped "Angus Beef, a fine product of Wyoming".

My father get's an elk every year,...with the front of his truck.

Luckily, he has a son who fabricated a heavy steel bumper.

WD

Bill Harsey
11-01-2009, 10:07
Wet Dog,
Nice to see you've solved one of the major problems in elk hunting and that is dropping your animal where you can get it out.

Stras
11-01-2009, 10:29
If you strike out, come with me and visit the folks in Wyoming, they have more elk than any rancher should have to feed. The last one I shot was standing in the corral with the horses. I use a .357 Mag under her chin, she fell two feet from the John Deere backhoe. We hung her in the barn for the night, next day we had her cut up, wrapped in butcher paper, stamped "Angus Beef, a fine product of Wyoming".

My father get's an elk every year,...with the front of his truck.

Luckily, he has a son who fabricated a heavy steel bumper.

WD

Where at in WY? My aunt is up in Cheyenne.

Thanks for the offer!

Stras
11-01-2009, 10:30
Wet Dog,
Nice to see you've solved one of the major problems in elk hunting and that is dropping your animal where you can get it out.

A friend of mine learned that the moose in the lake is not a good target...

At least he was only 10ft from the edge of the lake and easier to get a rope on him.

And no, he still hasn't heard the end of that.

lksteve
11-01-2009, 10:53
A friend of mine learned that the moose in the lake is not a good target...
Yeah, my 1SG in Alaska learned that, too...he was quite the hunter...lol...

wet dog
11-01-2009, 11:51
Where at in WY? My aunt is up in Cheyenne.

Thanks for the offer!

Send a PM, I'll start grain feeding a young 3rd year cow for ya. Should be niocely marbled by Feb.

BigJimCalhoun
12-06-2009, 10:24
Is it just me or did winter come early this year?

lksteve
12-06-2009, 10:30
It's not winter, yet...

BigJimCalhoun
12-06-2009, 10:40
Well, not officially, but I have had snow in my yard since October and I am still hoping to get my sprinklers blown out.