PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Diet

NousDefionsDoc
12-20-2006, 08:49
Anybody doing this?

Anbody seen a place to download the book in pdf or whatever?

Kyobanim
12-20-2006, 09:00
Is this what you're talking about?

cbass.com/warrior_diet.htm

Or this - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_Diet

NousDefionsDoc
12-20-2006, 09:01
Yes

AF IDMT
12-20-2006, 09:16
Read the book when it first came out. Never did the diet though. Wasn't conducive to my goals at the time. I'll look around and see if I still have a copy of it laying around.

Kyobanim
12-20-2006, 09:42
After briefly researching this, (I haven't read the book), I came to the following conclusions:

Undereating during the day and overeating at night is a sure fire way to gain weight but there's a lot of variables to this such as; your metabolism, age, how much you eat and what you are eating. I eat like that now; light snack in the morning, sandwich for lunch another light snack late afternoon and balanced meal when I get done at night, usually around 8 or 830. I have a high metabolism but my age works against me. I find myself gaining weight in the wrong places i.e. mid-area. When I eat 2 or 3 balanced meals (calorie wise) I do beter in the weight department. I think this diet has too many variables to apply to everyone

I workout everyday, aerobic 45 to 90 minutes interspursed with weights 3 days a week. I also do the Bowflex thing 3 days a week alternated with the weights. This seems to be similar to this program. I can retain muscle but not gain any noticable muscle. My strength is probably about average for someone of my body type and age but I would expect more considering what I do. Once again, my opinion is this program will work for some but there are too many variables to consider this for the masses.

I don't consider myself to be a warrior but in my opinion, FWIW, this is just another South Park diet, or whatever it was called.

A person who is serious about training to their peak should balance diet, physical and mental training based on what they are training for and just as importantly, for their body. I'll bet the physicians tear this one apart.

Just my .02

Roguish Lawyer
12-20-2006, 09:46
I'm eating lots of fast food and drinking a lot.

x SF med
12-20-2006, 09:51

Isn't that the Santa Claus diet - or the Beach Ball diet? Watch out counselor, you might not be able to fit through the door soon, and then CatWoman would have to DX you.

Surgicalcric
12-20-2006, 09:59

Sounds like the 'During SARR' (fast food) and 'Thank God Thats Over' (ETOH) diet. Atleast its that way for my OR. lol

Now its back to working out and eating right. :lifter

Crip

Jack Moroney (RIP)
12-20-2006, 14:01
Perhaps if you caught and ate food that was slower you would not be as thirsty and you would drink less.:D I'm too damn old to worry about diets. Food is fuel and I fuel this carcass as much as it needs and perhaps a little more than it needs so I can make it to the next MSS or resupply drop.

Sdiver
12-20-2006, 14:53

Yeah, I always thought that Pizza and Beer, was the Warrior Diet?

Something I've been following religiously for awhile now.

NousDefionsDoc
12-20-2006, 16:10
Kyo,
I hear what you are saying and at first glance, I felt the same way. However...

I knew a guy a while back that ate this way. I don't know if he knew about this diet or just did it. But it worked. He was a Brit, former SAS and it seems to be pretty popular among that crowd. He had no problems with energy or strength and was a very hard man.

It isn't going all day without eating, like many seem to think. And it isn't eating whatever you want at the big meal either. There are rules.

Kyobanim
12-20-2006, 19:27
I guess I ought to read the book and see what's in it, might be something to it. Maybe they have it at the library.

Back on tract guys.

frostfire
01-13-2007, 17:30
Yeah, I always thought that Pizza and Beer, was the Warrior Diet?

It is according to this guy and you can't run 262 miles (with no sleep or rest) without having warrior mindset

FWIW
http://www.ultramarathon.com/Dean1.pdf

dr. mabuse
01-16-2007, 14:07
Interesting. I just tripped over this thread today.

I'm doing some consulting work at a surgeon's clinic, and due to his schedule, this is exactly what my diet has been, and I've lost a large amount of weight. Basically fasting (maybe one or two fruits or meat snack) during the day and gorging on an early dinner.

I was wondering what was going on. I have energy all day, don't get hungry, eat a sumptious meal and sleep well without heartburn/etc. My body seems to have really taken to it. :lifter

Strange.....

mugwump
01-16-2007, 15:41
My son got me onto something that might be similar about 6 months ago -- small breakfast of lentils or quick barley or oatmeal plus skim milk. Piece of German bread at 1 pm'ish (it's this really dense stuff in very thin slices, whole rye w/ sunflower; more pressed, cooked grain than bread). Sometimes I'll add a small amount of pickled fish mid-day. Lots of water. Pig-out meal at dinner after I work out. I'll eat a pound of frozen vegetables, a cup of red lentils (kali dal), four eggs or two lean minute steaks or 1/2 pound of salmon, a big bowl of low fat cottage cheese, 2 slices of whole wheat bread, and some yogurt w/ fruit for dessert. Nothing but water after dinner. Bourbon only on weekends.

I've lost 45 pounds, eliminated chronic heartburn that had me taking Prilosec, and my total cholesterol is down to 135 from 240 (I also take statins). I've done away with morning and afternoon caffeine, basically because I don't need it. After a tough first 2 weeks of adjustment I'm never hungry except right after my workout. I have a ton of energy in the day and no "lunchtime crash."

I am also working out: 1/2 hour hard cardio and 3/4 hour of resistance (mostly isometric w/ some free weights) 4-5 times a week and I swim a mile 1-2 times a week (using mask/fins/snorkel).

Five more pounds and a clean stress test and my doctor will sign me off for deco diving (I'll be 6'4" and 210 pounds -- yes I was a bit pudgy). The daughter and I are taking up skydiving this spring. Those two activities were the motivations for the lifestyle change but I feel so good I think it will self-sustaining.

My son is 21 and he's been eating like this for two years and he's in awesome shape. He eats in the evening before he works out and again afterwards -- basically two meals the size of my big evening meal, but his workouts are epic. I feel ill if I work out after my meal, he almost passes out if he doesn't eat first. It's counter-intuitive to me that his workouts are better after a huge meal, but it works for him. He also supplements his second dinner w/ a protein shake.

booker
01-16-2007, 17:01
I read the book and tried the diet, it works well but doesn't fit in with most people's schedules and time demands. I was totally gassed before my evening workout, tried eating before, but all that did was add some color to the gym floor. You can get the same results with an intermittent fasting schedule (search pubmed to read about IF, or read about it at crossfit.com). I have talked to several people that see Ori on a regular basis and apparently he doesn't even follow the "Warrior Diet", but instead eats multiple small meals throughout the day.

FWIW,

J

mugwump
01-16-2007, 17:47
...I was totally gassed before my evening workout, tried eating before, but all that did was add some color to the gym floor...

J

Curious, how long did you try it? That's how I was for two weeks -- starving, end of my rope -- and then it was like a switch being thrown.

booker
01-16-2007, 18:23
Well I did some research and learned that you get the same effects if you eat your last meal at 1600- 1700 and then do not eat again until the noon meal the next day. I probably tried for about two or three weeks on the originial warrior diet plan. I've had good results doing the previous diet. Research has shown that occasional fasting has similar results to continuous fasting cycles.

mugwump
01-16-2007, 20:31
I'll have to check out the book. What I'm doing obviously isn't the diet, just low calories during the day with a monster meal at night.

booker
01-17-2007, 07:46
mugwump-
That is the diet in a nutshell. He advocates no food intake all day unless the hunger becomes unbearable, in which case you should eat a handful of nuts. The evening meal should be lots of green vegetables followed by meat, but from my experience if it sat still long enough it was eaten. Like I said before, eating your last meal at 1600 and not eating again until noon the next day is in essence the same idea as what is promulgated in the book, but still allows you the freedom to workout and function at a even energy level throughout the day. There are some jobs that require access to quick energy, and this diet takes a while to get used to, thus making your energy levels fluctuate. But, what works for one may not work for another. It sounds as if what you are doing works, so by all means tweak your current pattern until it fits your lifestyle.

J

Classic
03-19-2007, 13:49
I need to burn about 4-5% body fat off, and this diet acctually seems like something I can do. I find myself eating during lunch/breakfast and not really being hungry. Just doing it because its what your suppose to do during those times. I get a feeling I am gonna be sucking for a few days/1st week, but I'm going to try this out for a few weeks and see how I feel.

spartanfed182
06-04-2007, 22:25
Anybody doing this?

Anbody seen a place to download the book in pdf or whatever?

I did it for few months, and works pretty well. I did notice my mood changed. But for now i do it several times a month just to shock my system.

Avienda
10-13-2007, 12:46
Interesting. I just tripped over this thread today.

I'm doing some consulting work at a surgeon's clinic, and due to his schedule, this is exactly what my diet has been, and I've lost a large amount of weight. Basically fasting (maybe one or two fruits or meat snack) during the day and gorging on an early dinner.

I was wondering what was going on. I have energy all day, don't get hungry, eat a sumptious meal and sleep well without heartburn/etc. My body seems to have really taken to it. :lifter

Strange.....

Not so strange :)
You seem to have found a way to eat where Your blood glucose level do not jump up and down during the day :lifter

Arwr
12-22-2007, 13:27
I have found the Warrior Diet to be quite effective and sound in theory and practice. Several years ago, I found myself naturally falling into this eating pattern. That is what intrigued me about the book. It seemed, I was already eating that way.

A few points:

1. The diet is for people who are under mental or physical stress during the day. It is not conducive to eat during such times, as it results in malabsorption. Eating when relaxed provides the most benefit.

2. The diet allows the digestive system to rest and restore it self.

3. The diet allows for maximum hydration to take place.

4. Fasting is primarily for detoxification which requires approximately 24 hours or more before positive effects result. The diet is not fasting, as it encourages minimal a mounts of intake during the day.

5. The diet takes time for the body to adjust and normalise.

I do not see the diet as a fad as much as a justification for those who already tend to eat that way, or encourage those engaged in a hectic lifestyle that need justification for not eating. The diet seems to me more as an eating style than what people call diet. I have recommended the book, Warrior Diet, to several patients with good effect with the understanding that it was not just for weight-loss.

Arwr

roy44
05-12-2009, 02:08
My input - i tried that diet for some around a month so heres what i found reading the book and implementing.

Book tells you :

During day :
Detoxify - eat vegetables (no clear limit , maybe around to 3 times a day), drink milk shakes and standard milk products (without sugar) ,apples, no limit for drinking water. Avoid Carbohydrates and sugar. So actually you eat standard meals but consisted of veggies or milk products and low calories meals.

During night - Overeating phase - you can eat everything including the junk food but still the meal must be well balanced. He tells you to rather avoid sugar as far as i remember.

Results.
Loose on weight. I lost lots of weight. It was from 5 to 10 kilos during one month. I excersised moderately. But i stopped it cause i push myself much harder now and want to build mass so it kinda scared me a little.

st1650
05-22-2009, 09:02
Book link :http://fliiby.com/file/13935/z8l3dgek54.html

[edit] Apparently he's claiming Navy Seals status. http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/the_warrior_diet_an_interview_with_penthouse_edito r_ori_hofmekler

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=10159

Skelepede
05-22-2009, 11:20
He was in S13 in Israel.