PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this scene?

12B4S
12-19-2006, 17:56
There was another half to it, but havn't come across that yet.

lksteve
12-19-2006, 18:13
There was another half to it, but havn't come across that yet.Marktstrasse, Bad Toelz...the Isar River would be behind the viewer, the Kasern would be to the front...the building on the left had a nice restaurant in it...

12B4S
12-22-2006, 14:47
That's it LK. That is a Christmas card that we received from a good friend in Tolz after we got back to the States in the early 70's. Way back when you could drive down Marktstrasse. ;)

lksteve
12-22-2006, 21:51
that's right around the area where i used to stand to watch Leonhardifahrt every year...

here's a link to check out...the terrain looks pretty familiar...

http://www.isartal-chapter.de/

mustang
03-23-2007, 19:41
nice photo, I was there in 1963 to 1965, brings back memories.

The Old Guy
03-23-2007, 22:06
What a lovely town, beautiful people and great food. The eye candy as real nice at lunch time during the summer in the banks of the Isar.

mike-munich
03-27-2007, 03:27
Nice wintertime photo ! I like Tölz better in summertime... Today is a beautiful day, Bavarian blue skies and sunshine.

The Old Guy
03-28-2007, 13:56
That is a stunning photograph. It looks like a candy or fantasy land!

How I miss Bad Tolz, the very best assignment in 28 years, 11 month, 09 days of active federal service.

Roycroft201
03-28-2007, 16:33
Mike,

That is a GORGEOUS photo ! Thanks for posting it .

RC201

lksteve
03-28-2007, 21:49
That is a GORGEOUS photo ! Thanks for posting itthe photo doesn't do the place justice...it was a wonderful place to be, on the rare occasions i got to visit...the wife loved living there...

Monsoon65
03-31-2007, 13:58
Beautiful. Looks almost fake it's so perfect!

12B4S
03-31-2007, 23:56
It is an incredible little town. Somewhere, I have alot of negatives, I took. Much like that pic that Mike posted.

BTW lk.. I did check out that site you put up. Fantastic scenery. I`m also in the process of jump starting my German. Better get that dog of yours and you up to speed. ;) There is a German restaurant in this small town. Figure I can go in there and humiliate myself with my mastery of the German language. Hope they are a patient lot.

SF18C
04-01-2007, 08:19
I sure do miss Germany at times! Sping is so beautiful there, it is unbelievable how much color jumps out of the grey post-winter season.

I also have a thing for Northern Italy but that is another story.

lksteve
04-01-2007, 10:47
I BTW lk.. I did check out that site you put up. Fantastic scenery. I`m also in the process of jump starting my German. Better get that dog of yours and you up to speed. the dog will do fine...i can still say "Noch ein bier, bitte..."

wouldn't mind a nice German restaurant around here...i could go for a good wienerschnitzel or the like once in a while...Chinese gets a little old...

12B4S
04-02-2007, 03:27
Yep! Always need to remember the most important part of a language lk. ;) I'm going to have to try everything on the menu. BTW. I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago. The day I was leaving, I came across the Hofbräuhaus. A replica of the one in Munich. Next trip, definately going to be in there. ;)

The Reaper
04-02-2007, 07:25
Looks like Disneyland to me.:D

TR

lksteve
04-02-2007, 07:32
Next trip, definately going to be in there. maybe next trip, you can give a brother a head's up...:rolleyes:

lksteve
04-02-2007, 07:34
Looks like Disneyland to mehmmm...no big mice, no Goofy dogs, no mice ears on the street sweepers...the only rides are on the Blomberg, but other than that, i see the similarity...;)

x SF med
04-02-2007, 10:26
Yep! Always need to remember the most important part of a language lk. ;) I'm going to have to try everything on the menu. BTW. I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago. The day I was leaving, I came across the Hofbräuhaus. A replica of the one in Munich. Next trip, definately going to be in there. ;)

Ah Ha! SHOT 2008, in Vegas, Hofbräuhaus has gotta be better than the Thai place and Howl at the Moon. Time to get the Deutsche mehr besser, klar?

lksteve
04-02-2007, 13:22
Ah Ha! SHOT 2008, in Vegas, Hofbräuhaus has gotta be better than the Thai place and Howl at the Moon. Time to get the Deutsche mehr besser, klar?stimmt...

mike-munich
04-03-2007, 01:50
Gentlemen, I´m glad the photo brings back some good memories for you. Spring is moving in slowly. I took the motorcycle for a spin from Tölz to Oberammergau and back via Garmisch on Sunday.

I´d be happy to take my camera along next time and take some photos for you.

Mike

P.S. Here is a photo from Fasching on Marktstrasse in Tölz. A good time of the year for us, we collected well over 60 drivers licenses for DUI/DWI this year...:D

12B4S
04-03-2007, 02:56
Looks like Disneyland to me.:D

TR

Well yeah TR. It hasn't had the 400 plus years of 'break in'. I helped with that in Munich. Need to start the process in the one in Vegas. ;)

I'll let you know the next time I head up to Vegas lk. Last trip I met my daughter who had come in from Denver with some friends for a long weekend. However, they had plans to do some clubbing or whatever with friends at night. They didn't need dad tagging along. So, I just partied with the Spring Break folks. ;)

That is a beautiful route Mike. I went to language school in Oberammergau. Fashing was a fun time. Can't remember. Is that the one, that at the end, one is supposed to wash out thier wallet in the Isar, cause they aren't supposed to have any money left?

mike-munich
04-03-2007, 03:44
That is a beautiful route Mike. I went to language school in Oberammergau. Fashing was a fun time. Can't remember. Is that the one, that at the end, one is supposed to wash out thier wallet in the Isar, cause they aren't supposed to have any money left?

It sure is ! I love riding up there. Nice and cool, even in summertime. NATO school is still up in Oberammergau. They do some language training in Garmisch as well. Friend of mine is a arabic Gulf, she was here from Ft. Hood for a language class not so long ago.

They still do the wallet washing stuff ! Too funny, when the Isar river is covered with ice and snow...:D

highspeedmdd
04-03-2007, 07:44
I sent my friend Joe Hannon those pics you all posted and this was his reply...

Mike,

Most of the time I was on that street it was going to-coming from a couple
favoriate bars and I was blind with excitement or blind ass drunk!<g>
There's a bridge down further (behind you in the fasching picture) over the
Isar (Danube) and they have BIG brown trout in there that you can feed
brochen's too. Further up the hill, around the bend and on the right side
(towards Flint Kaserne) is the Polizie station.

The reason I know this particularly, is when you get drunk and you and your
pal decide your hungry and want "trout" to eat and you take one of those
old issued military net thingees that no one ever used and feed the fishies
some brouchen and then scoop up a bunch with that net . . . you go to the
Polizie jail and spend the night sleeping on a cement, cold assed bed. Then
next morning you attend a class and they tell you all about their
conservation laws n' shit and then someone from HQ's comes and gets you and
your on shit-detail and Kaserne arrest for about a month!<g>

Ah . . . the good ole' days where not much was "critical" but everything
good and fun was discouraged!

Joey The Honorabl

mike-munich
04-03-2007, 08:37
:D *laughing*

Thanks for sharing this ! I guess this is how alot of former SF from Flint feel.

It´s the Isar River River, it runs into the Danube, but that´s many many klicks further northeast, at Deggendorf, lower Bavaria.

It´s rainbow trouts in there, no brown trout.

You can still feed and fish them, and it´s still illegal without a fishing license.

The Polizei jail is equipped with comfy matrasses now. They rather make you pay a fine nowadays rather than have you crash one or two nights behind bars (the cost is up to US$110 per night, no breakfast either).:cool:

All other than that, it´s pretty much the same over here. Would be alot nicer with Flint Kasere and the QP´s around though....:(

mike-munich
04-16-2007, 04:09
OK, some more pics for those who care. Took the motorcycle for a 250 mile spin from Munich to Tölz, Oberammergau, Garmisch, Fernpass, Reutte in Tirol to Kempten/Allgäu and back to Tölz.

Thought I´d share some photos with ya´ll.

SFS0AVN
06-11-2007, 09:54
Sure, rub it in Mike, everybody is looking at the pictures wishing they were there, including me. I left there about 41 years ago and one of these days I may go back.

Ret10Echo
06-11-2007, 09:58
OK, some more pics for those who care. Took the motorcycle for a 250 mile spin from Munich to Tölz, Oberammergau, Garmisch, Fernpass, Reutte in Tirol to Kempten/Allgäu and back to Tölz.

Thought I´d share some photos with ya´ll.

I've wandered a similar route....Kempten/Allgau is gorgeous this time of year. Sure do miss that.

Rogue
06-11-2007, 10:03
Jene Berge sind das Treppenhaus zum Himmel. Sind sie nicht?

mike-munich
06-11-2007, 23:21
Sorry for rubbin´ it in Joe. When you come for a visit the first 5 Weissbier are on me. Promise. :D

@Ret10Echo: You are right, the Allgäu is a very beautiful area. We ride the bikes down there quite often, from Munich to Kempten, Memmingen, on to Lindau and the Bodensee. This is the perfect time of the year. Makes me a little sad that I´m leaving for Colorado on Saturday...:)

Rogue, das sind sie wirklich. Ich brauche die Berge, egal ob in Bayern oder in den USA.

Photos: Munich City Hall,
Riding the BMW in the Allgäu Alps,
my 2 Ponys

Rogue
06-12-2007, 05:09
Rogue, das sind sie wirklich. Ich brauche die Berge, egal ob in Bayern oder in den USA.

My father's family is from Bad Beuren, and my mother's family is from Saltzburg. So yes, Ich liebe die Berge auch!

mike-munich
06-12-2007, 05:32
My father's family is from Bad Beuren, and my mother's family is from Saltzburg. So yes, Ich liebe die Berge auch!

Dann verstehe ich das gut ! Too bad there are no significant mountains in Ohio...;)

Rogue
06-12-2007, 05:55
Die schönste Szene, die immer in meinem Verstand haftet, ist die Linie der Berge, die, Sie beim Fahren von Munchen zu Saltsburg sehen.

mike-munich
06-12-2007, 06:52
That´s right, down A8 towards Chiemsee, Bad Aibling to your left, the Alps to your right. I used to drive down there twice a week, until they closed Bad Aibling Station in 2003 and moved the equipment elsewhere...

Rogue
06-13-2007, 10:53
Have you ever ridden the cable car up the mountain just outside of Saltzburg?

What a beautiful site. My mother had edelweiss flowers pressed in a book which she had picked on that mountain when she was a child.

One of my favorite places to visit.

mike-munich
06-13-2007, 23:43
Have you ever ridden the cable car up the mountain just outside of Saltzburg?

What a beautiful site. My mother had edelweiss flowers pressed in a book which she had picked on that mountain when she was a child.

One of my favorite places to visit.

Which one ? There are several cable cars around Salzburg. I did go up to the Hohensalzburg Fortress a couple of times. Beautiful overlook of the town... There are some others on he surrounding mountains as well (I think there is a total of 128 cable cars in the area).

Picking Edelweiss flowers get you into jail these days. ;)

We´ve been going down to Salzburg since 30 years. It didn´t change much. Thank God.

Rogue
06-14-2007, 04:40
Untersberg. Last time I was there, we spent the day on the mountain, then spent the evening at a B&B in Seekirchen. Lebergnoedel soupe for dinner and lots of Weitzenbeer.

Nichts in dieser Welt mögen einen Weitzenbeer Kater.

mike-munich
06-14-2007, 05:02
Ah, Untersberg. Das ist auf der deutschen Seite, nicht auf der österreichischen. ;)

Weizenbier, or Weissbier as we call it in Bavaria, is my favorite too. Especially the dunkle Weissbier. A Leberknödelsuppe goes perfect with that, along with a couple of frische Brez´n. :cool:

Dang, now I´m hungry.... :D

RB
12-18-2007, 16:38
a cupple times. Really liked Germany.

If you look close at the two photos on page 1, they're taken from very nearly the exact spot, some 30-40 years later looks like. The statue looks like it changed a bit and of course, the seasons different, but the rooftops are the same.......

Pretty impressive.....:munchin

mike-munich
12-19-2007, 01:31
Yeah, that's what I like about Germany. The buildings (including the roofs) are built to last. It's more expensive to build this way, but houses last a hundret years or longer.

Ramrod 1
09-25-2009, 13:05
Marketstrasse is almost identical today to what it was when I was there in the '80s. Back then they allowed cars, today it's pedestrian only for the majority of the street -- from just below the Turmkeller, to right above the Isar bridge.

alfromcolorado
09-26-2009, 20:32
Marketstrasse is almost identical today to what it was when I was there in the '80s. Back then they allowed cars, today it's pedestrian only for the majority of the street -- from just below the Turmkeller, to right above the Isar bridge.

I was there in 2008 (or was it 2007 Mike?) and Marktstr. looked the same but it looked freshly painted and better maintained. One restaurant I used to get a bite now and then from was closed up and empty...

10thgroupvet
12-05-2009, 01:33
Went back there as they were shutting it down in 93-94. Just made me want to cry...

mitchw
12-06-2009, 21:17

Ah, I live in Vegas. The Hofbrauhaus is a wonderful place. I was unsure of how authentic it was, but perhaps more than I thought?

lksteve
12-06-2009, 23:46
Ah, I live in Vegas. The Hofbrauhaus is a wonderful place. I was unsure of how authentic it was, but perhaps more than I thought?Kidding, right? I visited there a time or two...It's just not the same...

mike-munich
12-07-2009, 05:19
It's just not the same...

+1. You Sir are absolutely correct. The Hofbräuhaus in L.V. is like Disneyland in Paris. A lookalike, but not quite the same.

At least the beer at HB in Vegas is the original stuff from Munich...

@mitchw: no offense, but you should read the SOP for this forum before getting your ass chewed by one of our QP hosts here (proper introduction etc.). :cool:

Richard
12-07-2009, 05:44
Bet they don't sing this one in LV.

In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus:
Eins, zwei, g'suffa ...
Da läuft so manches Fäßchen aus:
Eins, zwei, g'suffa ...
Da hat so mancher brave Mann:
Eins, zwei, g'suffa ...
Gezeigt was er so vertragen kann
Schon früh am Morgen fing er an
Und spät am Abend kam er heraus
So schön ist's im Hofbräuhaus.

Da, wo die grüne Isar fließt,
Wo man mit "Grüß Gott" dich grüßt,
Liegt meine schöne Münch'ner Stadt,
Die ihresgleichen nicht hat.
Wasser ist billig, rein und gut,
Nur verdünnt es unser Blut,
Schöner sind Tropfen gold'nen Wein's,
Aber am schönsten ist eins:

Da trinkt man Bier nicht aus dem Glas,
Da gibt's nur "die große Maß!"
Und wenn der erste Maßkrug leer,
Bringt dir die Reserl bald mehr.
Oft kriegt zu Haus die Frau 'nen Schreck,
Bleibt der Mann mal länger weg.
Aber die braven Nachbarsleut',
Die wissen besser Bescheid!

Wenn auch so manche schöne Stadt
Sehenswürdigkeiten hat,
Eins gibt es nirgendwo wie hier:
Das ist das Münchener Bier.
Wer dieses kleine Lied erdacht
Hat so manche lange Nacht
Über dem Münchener Bier studiert
Und hat es gründlich probiert.

I preferred hanging out at the Spatenbraueri - liked the bier better there and it was on the Marienplatz - but the schweinshaxe mit bier und bretzel at the HB was the BEST.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

The Reaper
12-07-2009, 09:22
Ah, I live in Vegas. The Hofbrauhaus is a wonderful place. I was unsure of how authentic it was, but perhaps more than I thought?

Mitch:

I recommend that you read the rules and stickies and comply before posting again.

TR

mike-munich
12-07-2009, 09:30
but the schweinshaxe mit bier und bretzel at the HB was the BEST.

Sir, it still IS. :cool: I'll be in the DFW area with my HH6 from MAY 22 to JUNE 2 next year. Want me to slip a few Spaten Bier in my duffle bag ? :D

MVP
12-07-2009, 10:26
My team used to do 1-wk commo ex's on the Blomberg. The best part was the ride w/ruck back down on the rodelbahn. Unfortunately the things weren't designed for the high center of gravity one has when wearing a ruck...

MVP

mojaveman
12-07-2009, 11:49
Bet they don't sing this one in LV.

In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus:
Eins, zwei, g'suffa ...
Da läuft so manches Fäßchen aus:
Eins, zwei, g'suffa ...
Da hat so mancher brave Mann:
Eins, zwei, g'suffa ...
Gezeigt was er so vertragen kann
Schon früh am Morgen fing er an
Und spät am Abend kam er heraus
So schön ist's im Hofbräuhaus.

Da, wo die grüne Isar fließt,
Wo man mit "Grüß Gott" dich grüßt,
Liegt meine schöne Münch'ner Stadt,
Die ihresgleichen nicht hat.
Wasser ist billig, rein und gut,
Nur verdünnt es unser Blut,
Schöner sind Tropfen gold'nen Wein's,
Aber am schönsten ist eins:

Da trinkt man Bier nicht aus dem Glas,
Da gibt's nur "die große Maß!"
Und wenn der erste Maßkrug leer,
Bringt dir die Reserl bald mehr.
Oft kriegt zu Haus die Frau 'nen Schreck,
Bleibt der Mann mal länger weg.
Aber die braven Nachbarsleut',
Die wissen besser Bescheid!

Wenn auch so manche schöne Stadt
Sehenswürdigkeiten hat,
Eins gibt es nirgendwo wie hier:
Das ist das Münchener Bier.
Wer dieses kleine Lied erdacht
Hat so manche lange Nacht
Über dem Münchener Bier studiert
Und hat es gründlich probiert.

I preferred hanging out at the Spatenbraueri - liked the bier better there and it was on the Marienplatz - but the schweinshaxe mit bier und bretzel at the HB was the BEST.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

That was nice Richard,

The Hofbrauhaus and the Lowenbraukeller were my two favorite places to go to whenever I was in Munich. I ate plenty of weisswurst and schweinhaxen too.

Prost!

mike-munich
12-08-2009, 02:34
My team used to do 1-wk commo ex's on the Blomberg. The best part was the ride w/ruck back down on the rodelbahn. Unfortunately the things weren't designed for the high center of gravity one has when wearing a ruck...

MVP

I went there once with 032, on the way back from an ex with the Luftwaffe in Penzberg (we played OPFOR and I was fortunate enough to be adopted by the team for this mission). On the way back to Flint we stopped at Blombergbahn, pulled into the parking lot with two trucks. Couldn't leave the gear on the trucks, so we dragged it along... haha.

I took the photo in front of the teamhouse at Flint. They tore it down, the ice hockey thing is there now...:mad:

The only face visible here is the one of Bill McNeil. No PERSEC violated. He passed away a couple of years ago in NC. RIP brother.

Richard
12-08-2009, 06:37
Sir, it still IS. :cool: I'll be in the DFW area with my HH6 from MAY 22 to JUNE 2 next year. Want me to slip a few Spaten Bier in my duffle bag ? :D

Mike,

Appreciate the gesture but we can get Spaten here locally - even on tap in a couple of places...and carrying a .5L worth of bier in all those TSA authorized 3 oz containers would be way too much work.

I'll be in Tuscany for a couple of weeks in April and hope to find some fine German biers up in the northern end of the region near the Tirol area. ;)

Richard

mike-munich
12-08-2009, 06:49
Mike,

Appreciate the gesture but we can get Spaten here locally - even on tap in a couple of places...and carrying a .5L worth of bier in all those TSA authorized 3 oz containers would be way too much work.

I'll be in Tuscany for a couple of weeks in April and hope to find some fine German biers up in the northern end of the region near the Tirol area. ;)

Richard

Richard,

affirmative ! I did bring some Weissbiers with me when I was in Mesquite in May this year (6x.5 Liter). I think Spaten would taste funny in a 3 ounce container... LOL. I even brought back some .30-.30 ammo to Germany (legally, that is).

Enjoy the Tuscany ! I rode down there a couple of years ago to see a buddy who was stationed at Camp Darby at that time. I'm sure you will find plenty of Bier in the Lake Garda region, alot of southern Germans go there for the weekend.

v/r
Mike

mojaveman
12-08-2009, 11:58
Richard

Maybe you can share something about Italian beers Richard, or do they drink anything other than wine?

lksteve
12-08-2009, 12:28
Maybe you can share something about Italian beers Richard, or do they drink anything other than wine?I spent a year in Italy, then went back for Alpini School and a couple of exercises...the Italians brew beer, but should stick to wine...

mike-munich
12-09-2009, 01:20
...the Italians brew beer, but should stick to wine...

I second that. Absolutely.

alfromcolorado
12-11-2009, 16:34
I gotz a 'frigerator gefuellt wit Aventis...

We'don need no stinkin' Eye-talian bier...

Utah Bob
12-11-2009, 18:38
So many memories.

"The years have passed swiftly, like water in a mountain stream"
Kwai Chang Caine
:D

alfromcolorado
12-11-2009, 21:48
So many memories.

"The years have passed swiftly, like water in a mountain stream"
Kwai Chang Caine
:D