PDA

View Full Version : A new plan for Iraq

uboat509
12-16-2006, 12:00
I found this (http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.25292/pub_detail.asp) over at SWJ. It sounds pretty solid to me. It's not cut and run nor is it keep doing what we have been doing and hope for the best.

SFC W

Warrior-Mentor
12-17-2006, 17:37
Thanks.

TFM
12-19-2006, 07:54
I think the deeper you dig into the situation here, the more complicated things get. This approach should have been taken long ago. I think we are trying to do that now, but the soldiers, the money, and the equipment are all being run ragedy. There just isn't enough to go around as fast as we need it. Telling a soldier about longer deployments is the last thing he wants to hear these days. I'm sure you know. Then there is the question of the people. Are we trying to change them into what we want them to be, as close to Americans as as an Arab country can get. Their mindset is damaged from decades of Saddam's rule.

Can we really make them stop fighting each other as outsiders. Their culture is a major obtacle. I could go on and on about what I see. This commitment is a heavy price we will be paying for a very long time. I hope it's worth it. All this about what would happen if we cut and run. Who can tell the future. How many other countries on this side of the world are a threat, and have some of the same issues. The security forces lack of initiative is a problem. They have guns, vehicles and manpower, yet they don't want to use it most of the time. They need to learn to stand on their own two, fast. Most of them just don't want to work. Most civilians would rather deal with us then the police. Their army may be a different story, but the other security forces are very disappointing.