PDA

View Full Version : Suunto Question

soldierdoc_2005
12-11-2006, 12:07
Does anyone have any real-world experience with the Suunto x9i , or x9mi, NAV watch?

Feedback is greatly appreciated before I peel off my hard earned "Benjamin's"

Thanks,

~Eric

GreenSalsa
12-11-2006, 12:17
I have the Advisor…it leaks, bezel ring breaks off, scratches easily, burns through batteries…seriously, I would rather have a G-Shock again. When this dies, I will buy another G-Shock.

The only reason I have it now is it was issued to me. Everyone on my detachment agreed it was the most expensive “cheapest” watch we have ever had.

soldierdoc_2005
12-11-2006, 12:25
I have the Advisor…it leaks, bezel ring breaks off, scratches easily, burns through batteries…seriously, I would rather have a G-Shock again. When this dies, I will buy another G-Shock.

The only reason I have it now is it was issued to me. Everyone on my detachment agreed it was the most expensive “cheapest” watch we have ever had.

LMAO!

Thanks GS. Candor is always appreciated :)

~Eric

The Reaper
12-11-2006, 12:38
I have been wearing a Casio Triple Sensor for the past few years, and have been very happy with it.

The only issue was changing batteries and maintaining watertightness was a bear, so I most recently went with the solar powered version. Coming up on a year, and no problems.

TR

x SF med
12-11-2006, 12:41
I use a Suunto Regatta for sailing/racing - it's ok, but I'm starting to use my Garmin for the nav functions on the boat, in the woods, I'm a map and compass guy - and use a TAG to tell the time.

Not super impressed with the Suunto.

Pete
12-11-2006, 13:27
Casio G-Shock Fan from way back.

Pete

Trip_Wire (RIP)
12-11-2006, 14:07
I have a Suunto Mosquito, which is a watch dive computer instrument. So far, I have had no problems with it in either mode. It does have a Nitrox setting as well as air and I use Nitrox whenever I can. I think Suunto has come out with a newer watch/dive computer.

I use it as a back-up dive computer to my air intergrated panel type w/compass. :munchin

RlH
12-11-2006, 14:14
I have an X6HR, so far it has been good to me. I can track my runs on a computer and compare my heart rate and changes in altitude so that I can chart my progress. I like the watch very much and it is quite smaller and lighter than the Advizor or the Vector. The manual is quite thin, the phone uses a cell phone style operating system that makes navigation a cinch. I recommend it, but then again, I'm not one with the "real world" experience you may be seeking.

Here's some info on the mil-spec suuntos- http://www.miltoc.fi/pdf/Military_catalogue_sis_qxd.pdf

P.S. The x9i eats batteries for breakfast, "Power: rechargeable Li-ion battery. Battery life: 4 to 5 hours (1 second GPS fix rate)/12 hours (1 minute GPS fix rate)/2 weeks (manual GPS fix, >500 locations)/2 months (in time and alti/baro modes)" (http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=3635).

hoot72
12-12-2006, 03:16
May I suggest you have a look at Polar watches. We have noticed the quality and standards of suunto watches has dropped over the last few yrs....alot of outdoor leaders are using polar now days unlike the good ole days when Suunto was the brand everyone wanted.

Try having a look at the AXN range...

incommin
12-12-2006, 06:15
Geeeee, no mention of Rolex!

JIm

Dan
12-12-2006, 06:38
After numerous watch bands and batteries over the past 15+ years I have just put my G-Shock to rest due to leakage...what I got to replace it? Another G-Shock...this one with a solar cell to recharge the battery.

soldierdoc_2005
12-12-2006, 11:58

JIm

I did have a faux-lex purchased from a street merchant in NYC once...

vsvo
12-12-2006, 12:09
I have the Observer in stainless. For my uses, it does not do anything better than my old G-shock, so I will also be going back to Casio.

One annoying thing about this watch with the way the buttons are set up. If I bend my wrist, I often actuate the buttons. Thus, when I glance at it, it's usually on some random screen, depending on how many times the top of my hand hit the buttons.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
12-12-2006, 13:26

JIm

Ok, I'll take care of that! I have a Rolex GMT Master, that I have had since 1989 or so. It still looks great, I don't have to worry about batteries. It doesn't keep as accurate time as most Timex, Casio or Suuntos; however, I like it's looks and quick GMT reference.

BTW: I don't dive with it, as I'd hate to loose it and I'm always worried about those little pins that hold the locking wrist band, to the watch. My wife gave me this watch as a retirement present. :D :munchin

incommin
12-12-2006, 14:10
My first Rolex was a GMT......paid about 375 for it in 1968 and sold it for 750 in 1970. In 1974 I bought another and have been wearing one since. They do not keep as accurate a time as many other watches...... but they do wear well and you do not have to change batteries. Current watch is a Submariner, a gift from my wife and daughter.

Jim

lksteve
12-12-2006, 14:12
Geeeee, no mention of Rolex!well, there was an earlier watch thread where it was mentioned...not really the type of watch in question, IMNSHO...:cool:

Kraut783
05-11-2007, 18:50
My vector finally crashed after having it since 2002. I saw this was out new and took a chance on it. I like the metal casing and new watch band. First thing I noticed was the "bubble" was not present on the face of the watch. The buttons have a better feel and don't depress when you bend your wrist.

I will give it a work out and let everyone know how it performs :D

moobob
05-11-2007, 19:02
I spend my time between a G-Shock (excellent) and a Casio Triple Sensor (also excellent).

If you want nifty features, the Triple Sensor works and you can find them for alot cheaper than you'll ever find any Suunto. I had a vector and broke it in under a year. A gshock would have survived the incident...

Bill Harsey
05-12-2007, 09:46
I was disapointed in the Suunto "light characters on black face" (Vector model). They are not as bright or as easy to read as the internet images they have for advertising.

I gave the Vector to my son because of this. He has eyes that haven't done hundreds of hours of arc welding and grinding titanium, he thinks it's great.

D9 (RIP)
05-12-2007, 11:05
I was disapointed in the Suunto "light characters on black face" (Vector model). They are not as bright or as easy to read as the internet images they have for advertising.

I gave the Vector to my son because of this. He has eyes that haven't done hundreds of hours of arc welding and grinding titanium, he thinks it's great.

Ditto on the black face.

I was very disappointed with my Suunto. Buttons were constantly getting inadvertently pressed that were taking the watch off the time telling function and activating battery draining features like the compass. They you try to glance at your watch while you're carrying your rifle on patrol. Hope nobody is looking when you stop and start jacking with your watch while you see if you're going to make your hit time. It's as big as a wall-clock. No digital second counter - instead it has some kind of psuedo-analog trace thing around the face. Try taking a pulse with that, or testing time-fuse. All in all, an over-priced but well marketed gadget that is not durable or well made enough for my purposes - my 0.02. If I were going to spend half-a-grand on a watch like that I would look at the Tissot T-Touch before I'd look at one of the souped up Suuntos.

My G-Shock Tough Solar is a good watch that I've found nearly indestructable. It has the important stuff - a light, an alarm (actually several alarms), a timer, a stopwatch, and a second counter on the face. $75 vs. $200 plus. The only peice of Suunto gear I own and like is a wrist compass.

If you want a watch combo, why not get one of those watch band compasses? If you must have a watch/compass combo, I'm sure there are better options than the Suunto. Years ago I bought a VCR/TV combo. Three months later the VCR broke. I took it to an electrician (LOL, those days are over) for repair, and he shook his head and said, "You know what's true of all VCR/TV combos? You always get a crappy TV mated with a crappy VCR, and when one or the other breaks the whole thing is useless." I was once told something similar about a futon. IMO, there's a lesson in there somewhere about watch/GPS/compasses.

The Reaper
05-12-2007, 11:13
I am very happy with my Casio Triple Sensor Tough Solar. Titanium case and band. Solar recharging of the batteries, haven't run them down yet.

Had it about 18 months, no problems at all.

Looked at the Suunto, and liked the Casio better.

TR

skipjack
05-13-2007, 00:13
Have had the same G-Shock for 5 years now and only last summer had to replace the battery for the first time! Love it! Getting another when this one dies (no telling when that'll be)...

-skipjack