PDA

View Full Version : Ankle carry - offside

El Cid
12-04-2006, 20:04
G'day everyone,

I need some input once again please. On occasion I will be carrying my G27 on my ankle as a BUG. Everyone I have talked to in LE has warned me that having a gun on one ankle and nothing on the other is a path to lower back problems. Since I already have lower back issues... I am looking to offset the weight with something on the other ankle.

Most agents have the Galco "copsafe" with a spare mag and either creds or cuffs. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp?ProductID=2018&CatalogID=321

I have also found Desantis offers a couple options:
The double magazine: http://www.desantisholster.com/n81.html
and cellphone holder (I would use it for something else): http://www.desantisholster.com/n33.html

I would really like to carry a spare mag and a fixed blade. The wonderful knives from FS are too light I believe. I bought the Pitbull/Sigarms neckknife, but it's too small/light to be of any significance.

So... what I am looking for is an ankle sheath for something about the size of the HK (Benchmade) 50: http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/index.jsp?loc=121&SITEID=A&PartNumber=HK50 This may be too long -- been a while since I have seen one in person. I know KaBar has an ankle rig for their TDI knife, but I am not sold on the knife - just the sheath. From the looks of it, I may be able to use any kydex type sheath with it, so if anyone has put their hands on one I'd greatly appreciate any intel you can offer.
https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1480RIG&mode=category&categoryId=1,4,7,8,9&categoryName=New%20Products

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. There may be something out there I haven't discovered that y'all have seen/used.

Thanks in advance,
Kev

Trip_Wire (RIP)
12-04-2006, 20:47
The only thing I have to say about ankle holsters is this.:

I carried a Detonics MK-IV in a custom ankle holster for a couple of years. I finally quit using the holster because it was causing me to have pains in my ankle.

The other problem that I have with ankle holsters in general, is that in a close up & personal confortation, where one is in very close to the suspect, to reach for your pistol puts you at a disavantage, having to bend over for you draw (Also perhaps, take your eyes off the suspect.) or worst yet pulling that leg up and thus being on one leg for that short period of time.

IMHO, the weights you're talking about having on both ankles, will I think cause you to have problems with your ankles over a period of time. I also feel, now that Bell Bottom trousers are out of fashion, that your equipment will show, especially when you sit down.

BTW: Randall makes a nice boot knife that was designed for LEs. It's called the Guardian a little pricey, but a great boot knife.

http://www.randallknives.com/catalog.php?action=modeldetail&id=28

Here was my back-ups in the day!

CoLawman
12-04-2006, 21:10
A friend of mine, David Delitta, shot and killed by a robber as he attempted to draw his gun from his ankle holster. http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=3998 As in David's case, I would think one's first reaction would be to go for your gun. If it is in a cumbersome position as in an ankle mount, tragedy can obviously occur. I would think that it would require extensive training and practice in drawing effectively and firing from the kneeling position before an individual used an ankle holster.

Just a comment on my limited knowledge of ankle holsters.

The Reaper
12-04-2006, 21:16
Not an LEO, but having carried concealed for a number of years, my ankle would be about the last place, along with my head, where I would want to try and carry, much less draw a weapon.

Only position I have seen where they are easy to draw is when you are already on the ground, then they seem to come out on their own over half the time.

TR

mike-munich
12-05-2006, 01:33
I used to carry the backup on the ankle, but I work in bluejeans most of the time, so it was impractical.

I use one of these now for a backup .25ACP

http://www.smartcarry.com/

Goggles Pizano
12-05-2006, 07:43
You might find more information here: http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11092&highlight=ankle+holster

Not to review an old argument but I prefer socks on my ankles-not handguns. There are better ways to carry concealed.

kgoerz
12-05-2006, 17:32
Only as a backup, on light fighter there is a link to a video where an ankle holster saved a cops life. I tried it for awhile but could never get use to weight in the one leg. But if you were just carrying a very light gun as a backup I can see the benefits. I can’t see the purpose of a uniformed cop wearing a backup on his holster. Most cops go to a backup when they fighting with a suspect and have only one hand to get to their ankle gun because the other hand is protecting there primary in the holster. Or if their holstered gun gets taken from them they run for their freaking life to cover until they can get the ankle gun out. Most criminals never suspect a uniformed cop to have a gun in his ankle and let down their guard when they see the cop is unarmed. I am no LEO but worked around them a lot and besides a throw down.....just kidding, the ankle gun is when they are in a physical confrontation or under cover. I would never want to have to hump or run a long ways with one they just aren't comfortable, or fast to deploy

Five-O
12-05-2006, 18:36
Ed Cid,
IMHO ankle holster may not your best option. Uncle Mikes has an inexpensive vest holster which carries almost any small frame auto (G27) or a small revolver. It attaches via the ballistic vest velcro straps and is very very secure. I have also used an inside the pants holster ,again Uncle Mike's, with great results...it's so comfortable I check to see it's still there. HTH.

x SF med
12-05-2006, 21:15
Damn Trip-

Is that a Gerber Blackie Collins Frisco Shiv? Great little knife, but the original sheath rattles like a C123 taking off (I own one, personal experience), have you found a good replacement?

The Reaper
12-05-2006, 21:25
Damn Trip-

Is that a Gerber Blackie Collins Frisco Shiv? Great little knife, but the original sheath rattles like a C123 taking off (I own one, personal experience), have you found a good replacement?

You OWN a C-123?!?!

Damn, you really ARE somebody!:D

TR

x SF med
12-05-2006, 21:36
Pardon, TR - I will have to be much more careful about my construction. alas, I do not own a C123 (a fun plane from which to jump), only a lowly 20+ year old Frisco Shiv. Although, if you would like to buy me a C123, I would accept it.

El Cid
12-06-2006, 05:06
Thanks everyone. I pretty much agree with y'all regarding the cons of ankle carry. My primary weapon rides on my belt in either a Don Hume OWB or Andrews Leather McDaniel II IWB. The ankle thing is strictly a backup. I have settled on the Alessi ankle rig as it is supposed to be the best. I didn't realize Bulman was a former protege though... interesting.

I do have the Kramer mesh t-shirt, but it's slower than an ankle holster. I am also toying with carrying the G27 on my belt in addition to the G22. Maybe opposite side in a vertical holster, or behind the 22. The nice thing about the ankle is the access I'll have when seated in a car. But otherwise... yea it isn't the best game in town.

What I actually need help with is a mag/knife pouch for the opposite ankle. I have emailed Blade-Tech and the guy at sheathmechanic.net, but have yet to hear back.

As for wearing a vest holster... we rarely wear our vests day to day. Since I am federal we usually have the luxury of choosing when/where we arrest someone. I am also in a coat and tie more than I care to be - another reason I keep coming back to the ankle. I also have Thunderwear (same as Smartcarry, but different name on it) for my Beretta 32. I use it for going running, but trying to get to it under a suit with a belt that already carries a G22, cuffs, Surefire and spare mag will be tough. Besides, I don't think I am that crazy for carrying a G27 on the ankle. I work with guys who carry G23s and Sig 228s on their ankle. Now THAT is crazy IMO!! :eek:

Thanks again for the inputs. What I am really interested in knowing is if anyone has carried a spare mag and fixed blade on their ankle in plain clothes. :)

Kev

The_Future
02-24-2007, 22:11
The other problem that I have with ankle holsters in general, is that in a close up & personal confortation, where one is in very close to the suspect, to reach for your pistol puts you at a disavantage, having to bend over for you draw (Also perhaps, take your eyes off the suspect.) or worst yet pulling that leg up and thus being on one leg for that short period of time.

I work as an undercover dope LEO and have used ankle holsters, small of back, detetive holsters, cross draw...etc. I have been in situations where I had to draw my weapon. Having to pull up your pants leg while bending over or standing on one leg when you got two people trying to beat the shit out of you sucks point blank. It has been proven that having your weapon in a location that can not be utilized from the three most dominate positions (ie-standing, sitting, or lying down) is tactical suicide. You have to be able to practice gun retention as well as your ability to effectively draw your weapon and engage a target. In my opinion you should try caring your weapon on your strong hand side. And if you wear your shirt tucked in you can get a in the pants holster. GALLS sells alot of them.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
02-24-2007, 22:40
Thanks everyone. I pretty much agree with y'all regarding the cons of ankle carry. My primary weapon rides on my belt in either a Don Hume OWB or Andrews Leather McDaniel II IWB. The ankle thing is strictly a backup. I have settled on the Alessi ankle rig as it is supposed to be the best. I didn't realize Bulman was a former protege though... interesting.

I do have the Kramer mesh t-shirt, but it's slower than an ankle holster. I am also toying with carrying the G27 on my belt in addition to the G22. Maybe opposite side in a vertical holster, or behind the 22. The nice thing about the ankle is the access I'll have when seated in a car. But otherwise... yea it isn't the best game in town.

What I actually need help with is a mag/knife pouch for the opposite ankle. I have emailed Blade-Tech and the guy at sheathmechanic.net, but have yet to hear back.

As for wearing a vest holster... we rarely wear our vests day to day. Since I am federal we usually have the luxury of choosing when/where we arrest someone. I am also in a coat and tie more than I care to be - another reason I keep coming back to the ankle. I also have Thunderwear (same as Smartcarry, but different name on it) for my Beretta 32. I use it for going running, but trying to get to it under a suit with a belt that already carries a G22, cuffs, Surefire and spare mag will be tough. Besides, I don't think I am that crazy for carrying a G27 on the ankle. I work with guys who carry G23s and Sig 228s on their ankle. Now THAT is crazy IMO!! :eek:

Thanks again for the inputs. What I am really interested in knowing is if anyone has carried a spare mag and fixed blade on their ankle in plain clothes. :)

Kev

The closest that I came to the knife fixed blade was a shoulder holster (For Sig 226 & 220) that held a fixed blade on the right side (w/one magazine) that was built to be ripped out, by grasping the handle and moving it towards the subject. It worked just fine. Other spare mags on the belt in nylon case. I liked it best with the Sig 226 as that gave me (4) 15 round mags. Plus one. :D :munchin

nyeti
03-04-2007, 20:28
I've carried my back up in an Eagle Industries "UAH" (upside -down ankle holster) my entire L/E career, and have never lost a gun or had a single issue. My calves are too big to use a conventional ankle rig, os the Eagle has been perfect. WHile it looks scary, the main thing is the pants don't have to be pulled up to draw. It also works great with boots.

In order to off set the gun weight (currently a GLock 26 w/a spare mag), I have always used an Eagle ankle cuff case on the right ankle. In my early years I carried ankle cuffs in it, and currently keep a barrier type CPR mask (I found they were never around when you really need one). THe pouch also has the ability to attach a small fixed blade knife to it. I think they also mag a similar style magaizne pouch. This is all typical Eagle quality gear, and has worked flawlessly for me for the last 19 years.

Tacticalinterve
07-09-2007, 08:26
Doing boot search I found this thread.

Ankle carry is damm wrong for le. Tell you what think about this. Where is first place you knock bad guy to? Its ground, right at ankle level. That means when you are rolling on ground with bad guy you have two places to secure so he does not get a gun.

Just plain bad officer safety. Not to mention you need to look at weapon to draw it.

Good place for back up is center of chest in vest pocket. That way you can rip and draw with either hand, ebcause chances are if you go to back up, one hand is tied up or hurt already.