PDA

View Full Version : Eyewear for FOGs

brianksain
11-29-2006, 19:36
My astute sniper partner and I are always discussing some sniper something or another.

We are both in our 40s and readers are a must.

That is not much fun when trying to adjust comeups on a sniper rifle or read the label on a less lethal projectile in the dark.

We found these ... http://www.gunaccessories.com/OlympicOptical/default.asp

Made by Olympic Optical under that name and also for Smith and Wesson.

We got ours at the local welding supply place. About 7-10 bucks.

Also come in brown lens/brown camo ... we got the clear ones.

Very comfortable, don't look too bad and come in 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5 power for us senior operators ... ANSI saftey rated, 100% UV resistant, scratch resistant, nice wrap around ...

They do not affect my shooting at all and the youngsters don't even know you are wearing readers:cool:

Have also heard that the same company makes some stick on windows for your existing glasses but have not investigated that further.

Mature crowd here so I thought I'd pass it on ... just an fyi.

Best,

BK

Peregrino
01-08-2007, 20:32
Brian - Thanks for the info/idea. The closest thing available locally was from AOSafety (which proved the concept but weren't as nice). I visited your link and couldn't reconcile the listed price with what you paid. Wound up doing a Froogle search and just ordered four pairs from www.safetycompany.com (appears to be a good source for a lot of stuff - check out their avian flu info dump). At $9.89 they're disposable and after a recent accident worth far more than any asking price. One of the extra pair is going straight into the shooting bag. Peregrino

longrange1947
01-08-2007, 20:47
Dam guys, you should try reading more wood shop mags. They been selling those suckers for years for us old farts. I also use them for setting my table saw etc. and when I "occasionally" read the instructions. :D

CDRODA396
01-08-2007, 21:08
Those look good for general purpose use as safety glasses and looking through optics. I'm 44 and suffer the same failing (close in) eyesight. Except I shoot pistol, so getting the front sight in focus at arm's length was impossible, and bifocals dont work because of the position of the bifocal. I looked at some ads for Decot Hy-Wyd Sports Glasses, who make specialty shooting prescription glasses, but I think the frames must be made of Gold!

I tried the "stick on inserts" but could never get them positioned so that one or the other wasnt distorted or out of focus.

I finally went to an optomitrist and had a pair of glasses made in my frames with the reading script up top, instead of down below. So with my head level, I am looking through clear safety (polycarbonate) glass. Tilt the head forward just a tad and look through the top of the lens, like you tend to do when presenting a hand gun and I am looking through the +1.50 bifocal. I've had 'em about a year now and they work pretty good.

The attachment shows the position of the bifocal...FT 35.

Ambush Master
01-08-2007, 21:52
I finally went to an optomitrist and had a pair of glasses made in my frames with the reading script up top, instead of down below. So with my head level, I am looking through clear safety (polycarbonate) glass. Tilt the head forward just a tad and look through the top of the lens, like you tend to do when presenting a hand gun and I am looking through the +1.50 bifocal. I've had 'em about a year now and they work pretty good.

The attachment shows the position of the bifocal...FT 35.

I've seen quite a few Pilots that have the same grind on their specs. Many of the Switches & Circuit Breakers are located on the "Overhead Panels"!!! I have seen Aviators take their glasses off, turn them upside down, and look at the overhead!!!

fish78
01-08-2007, 21:58
Find me a solution for my over 50 needs...at this point...I am in tri focals...+about a millon for readers something less for mid range and still something different for distance...oh, yeah that pesky astigmatism...had 20/10 up untill about age 42... at this rate, I figure I will need a guide dog by age 60.:mad:

Buffalobob
01-09-2007, 06:27
When I first switched to progressive lenses all of my shooting went into the sewer until I figured out that the progressive area of the lens is exactly where I need to see. I now have a single lens pair of glasses for shooting and progressives for everything else. It is a pain to fool with range cards and scope dials when hunting because I have to take my glasses off to read and make adjustements and then try to find where I put them, but I don't miss quite so often when I do shoot.

Monsoon65
01-10-2007, 16:20
I've seen quite a few Pilots that have the same grind on their specs. Many of the Switches & Circuit Breakers are located on the "Overhead Panels"!!! I have seen Aviators take their glasses off, turn them upside down, and look at the overhead!!!

The examiner on my last checkride had a special grind on his glass. They were three parts: Bottom for reading, center for seeing distance, and the top for stuff up high on our equipment racks and consoles.

Peregrino
01-21-2007, 00:32
Brian - Got the order in from Safety Company and I'm very happy with the glasses. They are everything advertised and more than I expected. I gave one of the clear pair to my gunsmith/shooting buddy just so he would "owe" me. It worked. He was immediately appreciative - he's a master machinist and wears safety glasses constantly. These mean no more swapping safety/reading glasses. The way I'm going through them it looks like I'll have to order a few more pairs. (The wife swiped one of the dark ones for sunglasses - before I even got to test them.) Next time we run into each other, the first round is on me. Peregrino